>>> Official Black Friday 2009 GPS SYSTEM Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

is it possible to find a Nuvi or Tom Tom around $100 or so that is really user friendly?

Thanks in advance

I have a tomtom one and it is very simple,

Gander Mountain TomTom One 130 3.5" GPS System (Thursday) $79.99

Kmart TomTom One 130 Portable 3.5" GPS System $79.99

Military BX TomTom 340S GPS $99.00

Office Depot TomTom One 130 Portable 3.5" GPS System $77.99

Office Depot TomTom XL 330 Portable 4.3" GPS System $97.99

Radio Shack TomTom XL 330S 4.3" GPS System w/ Free Dash Mount $99.99

Sears TomTom One 130 3.5" GPS System $79.99

Sears TomTom XL 325S 4.3" GPS System $99.99

Staples TomTom XL 330 Portable GPS System w/ Free Case AR $99.99

Target TomTom XL 340S 4.3" GPS System $97.00

cant speak for nuvi, never used one

Anyone know which is better between the Nuvi 265WT and the Nuvi 1350T?

I'm pretty sure the higher the number, the better the model (as in more features). Amazon has a good comparison chart of basic features: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-265WT-Widescreen-Bluetooth-Navigator/dp/B001ELJ9QK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258530374&sr=8-1 (about half way down)

They both seem to have an average rating of 4 stars on Amazon. The 265WT has an average rating of 4, while the 1350T has an average rating of only 3, on NewEgg.

Ok I was at Target the other day and they had in the ad the Tomtom one (red) on sale for $99 but of course they were out and only had rain checks so I grabbed one but could anyone tell me if this is a good unit....my daughter really wants one for Christmas and I was wondering how this one compares, I know it's 3.5 size but is it text to speech? TIA ;)

Ok I was at Target the other day and they had in the ad the Tomtom one (red) on sale for $99 but of course they were out and only had rain checks so I grabbed one but could anyone tell me if this is a good unit....my daughter really wants one for Christmas and I was wondering how this one compares, I know it's 3.5 size but is it text to speech? TIA ;)

TomTom uses the letter "S" in the model number to denote text-to-speech.

For instance, the TomTom One 130S has text to speech, but the TomTom One 130 does not.

I have never heard of a "red" model, all current models (and their features) are listed here:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Language=4

Does anyone have any information on the Tom Tom XL 330 that will be on sale at Radio Shack? It seems like a great price and they will be open on Thanksgiving, so I could pick it before BF.

Some reviews from actual owners:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16858194067&cm_re=tomtom-_-58-194-067-_-CustomerReview

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Portable-Navigator/product-reviews/B0016ORQDI/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

YMMV.

Thanks for the quick response....I looked at my rain check and it says TOMTOM ONE 140 RED GPS if that helps....it is in the ad this week for Target in my area. (Iowa). So does that mean that since it doesn't have an "s" after 140 that it doesn't have vocal prompts?

Thanks for the quick response....I looked at my rain check and it says TOMTOM ONE 140 RED GPS if that helps....it is in the ad this week for Target in my area. (Iowa). So does that mean that since it doesn't have an "s" after 140 that it doesn't have vocal prompts?

Correct.

TomTom 140 (plain one, no text-to-speech):

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-ONE-3-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator/dp/B001VEJEFG

($101.89 at Amazon, shipped)

TomTom 140S (same unit, but with text-to-speech):

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-140-S-3-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator/dp/B001VEJEG0/

($136.98 at Amazon, shipped)

---

Kash58 -- You could order the TomTom 140 right now from Amazon, it may cost a few bucks more but it'll be less than what sales tax would be for your state on the one from your local Target (assuming they restock).

Id go with a TomTom XL http://www.quincyforum.com/uploads/images/cool.gif

So I had it narrowned down to Tom Tom 340S or Garmin 255W so you think Tom Tom. Why do you recommend Tom TOm over Garmin. Are some of the features better. It is for my Mom who will need something very easy to use as she is not technically savvy at all. Thanks.

So I had it narrowned down to Tom Tom 340S or Garmin 255W so you think Tom Tom. Why do you recommend Tom TOm over Garmin. Are some of the features better. It is for my Mom who will need something very easy to use as she is not technically savvy at all. Thanks.

Personally, if someone is on the fence, all things being equal, I'd recommend Garmin over TomTom.

While I own a TomTom from two years ago and it's fine, the latest TomToms are receiving some rotten feedback from actual owners.

-------

Also, while both Garmin and TomTom GPS units are manufactured in Asia, Garmin's headquarters is in Olathe, Kansas, while TomTom's headquarters is in the Amsterdam, Netherlands.

While the Netherlands is a fine country and I have nothing against them, buying a Garmin supports American innovation and at least a few American engineer's jobs.

Guest mldepalma

I thought I had my mind made up... I was looking at the TomTom Go630 @ Staples and the Garmin NUVI 265WT at RadioShack. The extra navigation package on the TomTom put me over the edge a little (since one reviewer living near where I live said that the Garmin unit doesn't receive traffic information in this area). But I just saw on Wwalmart.com the Garmin NUVI 780. This unit is discontinued, but it looks pretty good for close to the same price. Anyone know about any of these models to help me decide?

Oh, and I have to admit that I've heard the voice on the Garmin and I HATE IT!! I like the text to speech and I want to hear street names, I'd read somewhere that if you change the voice, it no longer says street names, but only "standard" phrases.

Oh, and I have to admit that I've heard the voice on the Garmin and I HATE IT!! I like the text to speech and I want to hear street names, I'd read somewhere that if you change the voice, it no longer says street names, but only "standard" phrases.

If you use any of the voices in built into any GPS, they will all say the same things (with different tones, male vs. female, ethnic flair, etc.).

If you are looking at a text-to-speech unit, all of the voices that came from the factory (even the foreign language ones) will all say the same street names...

I changed from my Garmin's default voice to a woman's voice speaking with an Australian accent.

Try 'em out in the store!

--------------

Where you might have heard that "standard" phrases business is if you went and downloaded an aftermarket voice and added it to your text-to-speech GPS, say Homer Simpson or an Elvis impersonator... Those aftermarket voices typically only have standard phrases (turn right in 800 yards).

the latest TomToms are receiving some rotten feedback from actual owners.

A lot of the bad feedback seems to come from the new TomTom's having an absurdly small amount of free memory in the unit which causes it to lock up and render it nonfunctional when updating the maps if you don't prep the unit beforehand.....like unloading all the extra voices, etc. (There's not enough free memory in the unit as it is shipped to allow updating the maps.....so it essentially overloads the unit, locking it up, never to work again unless you ship it back to TomTom.)

Seems to me TomTom didn't put enough thought into their new units before releasing them to the market.

A lot of the bad feedback seems to come from the new TomTom's having an absurdly small amount of free memory in the unit which can lock up the unit and render it nonfunctional when updating the maps if you don't prep the unit beforehand.....like unloading all the extra voices, etc. (There's not enough free memory in the unit as it is shipped to allow updating the maps.....so it essentially overloads the unit, locking it up, never to work again unless you ship it back to TomTom.)

Seems to me TomTom didn't put enough thought into their new units before releasing them to the market.

Which is practically inexcusable given the extremely low prices on Flash media these days -- and for a manufacturer like TomTom, the costs are a fraction of the retail prices we see.

Which is practically inexcusable given the extremely low prices on Flash media these days -- and for a manufacturer like TomTom, the costs are a fraction of the retail prices we see.

Completely agree....and more incomprehensible is the fact that most of the TomTom units don't even have a slot for using a memory card, which would have alleviated some of the problems I've read about.

I, too, am looking for a new GPS to replace an aging Garmin....its power plug is getting very loose, unfortunately....and while the TomTom at Target is intriguing, I honestly think it's more worth the few extra $$ to buy a comparable Garmin.

I've been trying to do my GPS research, as I'm a GPS newbie, but I still have some questions that hopefully someone can help me with:

Does anyone have any experience with or information about the lifetime traffic that is available on some Garmins? This feature seems to be appealing to me if it would warn me about traffic jams ahead of time so that I could avoid them, but is it really effective? If it is, is there a way to add this feature to a Garmin that does not come with it, or do you have to purchase one that already has it?

Another question- I've heard that only some GPS systems have an option when you're driving to re-route if you go off course. For example, if I get off the interstate, some GPS will not re-route and will just direct you to get back on the interstate. Others, however, have an option to direct you another way without getting back on the interstate. Is there a way to tell if a GPS has this option?

I'm looking at all the GPS systems out there on BF, and hoping to get one that day, but still feel like I don't have the information I need to make a good decision! Thanks in advance for your help!