>>> Official Black Friday 2009 LAPTOP & NETBOOK Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

The K-Mart ad didn't give a model number, but it appears to be the DS700, or similar: K-Mart BF price - $119.99. Here are the specs I could find for the DS700, for those interested:

Brand New! Delstar 7" NetBook - Built-In WiFi, 3 USB 2.0 Ports, SD Card Slot!

Fast launch user desktop interface

Samsung 400mHz CPU

Windows CE Operating System

RAM: 128MB

2GB solid state drive

Expandable memory through SD cards

7" WVGA LCD screen

Touchpad pointing device

Network:

Built-in WiFi; wireless internet 801.11 b/g

10/100 Ethernet controller

Audio:

Dual speakers

Input/Output:

Three USB 2.0 ports

Microphone and headphone jack

RJ45 jack

Software Package:

Windows CE

Document Creator

Spreadsheet Creator

Presentation Creator

PDF viewer

Media player

Battery:

3 cell/3 hours

1-Year Delstar Warranty

Specifications:

Weight: < 2 lbs. (including battery)

Model: DS 700

----

Never judge a computer by price alone... :eek:

So far BF2K9 rumors include...

Acer Aspire One 10.1" Netbook for $149.99

Toshiba L505-S5998 T4300 for $399.99

I'd be tempted to grab a couple of the netbooks for portable internet toys, but the satellite is too expensive for me.

What do you want to do with your new laptop?

Is the Satellite a good laptop? Better than the Wal-mart HP one? Is $400 a good deal? Sorry to ask these questions straight to you but you seem to know what your talking about! ;)

Here are my thoughts on the K-Mart netbook:

1. A 400 MHz chip from 2009 is far superior to a 400 MHz chip from ten years ago. Performance-wise, even this odd ball Sammy chip is going to outpace an old Pentium II. So, it should be survivable for all but the bigger Flash elements on the web.

2. It is a netbook. There's always a certain element of lowering your expectations with netbooks.

3. It is K-Mart.

I'm not so much excited about this particular netbook (folks can do better, for sure). I'm excited about the price.

If K-Mart, one of the also-rans for BF computers, is going $120, it's sets the bar for BB and Wally. And when BB and Wally get into a fight over BF computer prices, we the consumer tend to win big. K-Mart obviously isn't going all-in for BF electronics. They never do. So, to see K-Mart so close to a $99 netbook gives me a lot of hope.

1. A 400 MHz chip from 2009 is far superior to a 400 MHz chip from ten years ago. Performance-wise, even this odd ball Sammy chip is going to outpace an old Pentium II. So, it should be survivable for all but the bigger Flash elements on the web.

2. It is a netbook. There's always a certain element of lowering your expectations with netbooks.

3. It is K-Mart.

I'm not so much excited about this particular netbook (folks can do better, for sure). I'm excited about the price.

If K-Mart, one of the also-rans for BF computers, is going $120, it's sets the bar for BB and Wally. And when BB and Wally get into a fight over BF computer prices, we the consumer tend to win big. K-Mart obviously isn't going all-in for BF electronics. They never do. So, to see K-Mart so close to a $99 netbook gives me a lot of hope.

The cpu is from 2003 or sooner, see here: http://www.samsung.com/global/system/business/semiconductor/product/2007/8/11/259693s3c2440x_rev21.pdf

Also of note, the cpu is ARM based, not x86. Meaning, no matter how much ram or disk space you throw at this netbook, it will NEVER run Windows XP, Vista, or 7 (or even 2000, Me, 98, 95, etc.). Windows CE is somewhat related to Windows Mobile, if that helps.

Most netbooks out there have a processor that's x86 based, meaning you can install "regular" windows on it. Some still come with a slower Celeron, most now come with an Atom, but both are x86 based. Even if it came with linux installed, you could still wipe that out and put Windows XP/Vista/7 on it. Not so with this "netbook."

Ok, here's a better analogy. I mentioned the Dell Axim above. If you had that, then you have a good idea of what this is capable of, just with a bigger screen. If not, then imagine a smartphone from a few years ago running Windows Mobile. Take out the phone, increase the screen to 7", and throw in a keyboard and a few ports. That's basically what this is.

OK techies, how about the walmart laptop that is rumored to be on sale for 298 this Saturday during the secret sale?

HP G60-519WM Notebook:

Intel Celeron 900 (2.2GHz, 1MB cache, 800MHz FSB)

Windows 7 Home Premium

3072MB DDR2 System Memory

250GB(5400rpm) Hard Drive

802.11b/g WLAN

LightScribe SuperMulti 8x DVD +-R/RW Drive w/Double Layer Support

15.6" Diagonal High-Definition HP BrightView display

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M with up to 1309MB total available memory

3 USB 2.0 Ports

OK techies, how about the walmart laptop that is rumored to be on sale for 298 this Saturday during the secret sale?

HP G60-519WM Notebook:

Windows 7 Home Premium

802.11b/g WLAN

3 USB 2.0 Ports

Thats a good deal on that lappy, the weak point I see is the cpu is not a dual core but it will surfice for most things people will do with a laptop. The cpu is basicly a single core C2D chip plenty strong for basic things.

referring to the Toshiba L505-S5998 T4300 for $399.99 in the removed ad...

Is the Satellite a good laptop? Better than the Wal-mart HP one? Is $400 a good deal? Sorry to ask these questions straight to you but you seem to know what your talking about! ;)

Thanks for your kind words, but, in this case, I don't have much to offer, so let's hope some people who have owned or at least touched a L505-S5998 can help you. The price seems to represent about a 30% discount which seems good to me. I've always been a Satellite fan, but I tend to shop the less expensive laptops, so I have never owned one.

Whether this is a good laptop for YOU depends on how you intend to use the laptop. You need to list the apps you plan to run on the laptop and see how this one's specs compare to the software's requirements. I think it would be a good, general purpose laptop that could run Sims 3 well, play a movie, and get you about the internet. Of course, I could find a $300 laptop that would too...I have one.

Looks like it comes with 64-bit OS. Make sure your apps will run on this (google app name and 64-bit). Battery life is less than three hours, but that's the price you pay for running a better cpu, bigger disk, and more memory.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, but I bet, by BF, you can find a just-as-capable laptop for < $300 without waiting in line.

If you are seriously thinking about this, go touch one in a store -- just to get a feel for whether it is zippy, if the screen appeals to you, and how much you will like the keyboard and mouse.

Thats a good deal on that lappy, the weak point I see is the cpu is not a dual core but it will surfice for most things people will do with a laptop. The cpu is basicly a single core C2D chip plenty strong for basic things.

It certainly isn't a bad deal, but my main issue is with the cpu and specifically that it doesn't support SpeedStep, which can and does extend battery life. So this cpu will always be running at full speed and at full power draw, even at idle. But what can you expect for the price?

referring to the Toshiba L505-S5998 T4300 for $399.99 in the removed ad...

Thanks for your kind words, but, in this case, I don't have much to offer, so let's hope some people who have owned or at least touched a L505-S5998 can help you. The price seems to represent about a 30% discount which seems good to me. I've always been a Satellite fan, but I tend to shop the less expensive laptops, so I have never owned one.

Whether this is a good laptop for YOU depends on how you intend to use the laptop. You need to list the apps you plan to run on the laptop and see how this one's specs compare to the software's requirements. I think it would be a good, general purpose laptop that could run Sims 3 well, play a movie, and get you about the internet. Of course, I could find a $300 laptop that would too...I have one.

Looks like it comes with 64-bit OS. Make sure your apps will run on this (google app name and 64-bit). Battery life is less than three hours, but that's the price you pay for running a better cpu, bigger disk, and more memory.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, but I bet, by BF, you can find a just-as-capable laptop for < $300 without waiting in line.

If you are seriously thinking about this, go touch one in a store -- just to get a feel for whether it is zippy, if the screen appeals to you, and how much you will like the keyboard and mouse.

Basically what I will be using the laptop for is internet (social networking, basic games using Java, TV episodes), movies and maybe put Office on it. It will be our secondary computer we use for business trips, vacations or if someone can't wait for someone else to get off the desktop to harvest their farm! (sorry, little Farmville humor there! ;)) So I don't need it to be super powerful, I just want a laptop that is quick and reliable! :) Also, referring back to the business trips, DH may be going on a work trip to Germany in the next couple weeks so I may have to buy something before BF but I still want a good laptop for a really good deal! ;) Thanks!

I think it'd be fine, but you may want to take a look at the $298 laptop rumored to be on sale at Walmart this Saturday...hubby could take that on his trip. I love $300 laptops...

HP G60-519WM Notebook: Intel Celeron 900 (2.2GHz, 1MB cache, 800MHz FSB) 15.6" HD, 3072MB DDR2, 250GB(5400rpm) HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium $298 @ Walmart 11/8/09

HP G60-519WM Notebook:

Windows 7 Home Premium

802.11b/g WLAN

3 USB 2.0 Ports

or one that can be had right now for $348 at walmart.com...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processor L310

4GB of DDR2 system memory

250GB 5400rpm SATA hard drive

15.6" high-definition LED backlit widescreen display

ATI Radeon" HD 3200 Graphics

SuperMulti double-layer DVD drive

6-cell rechargeable battery for around a 3.5 hour battery life

5.3Lbs total weight.

Ports: USB 2.0 (2), VGA Video Output, Headphone Jack & Microphone Jack

Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition

Microsoft Works 9.0

(this is the one i'd get)

Edited by len_mullen

Thanks Len! I think I might try to get the one at Wal-Mart on Saturday. I know the one they have now for $348 is a duel core but I'm not fond of AMD. I have always had Intel and have been happy with them. If it was a Pentium with a duel core for $300 there would be no question I'd get that! ;) The only question Hubby has is the battery life. It doesn't say on walmart.com. Worst case I can return within 15 days and at least I wouldn't have nothing when they finally tell us when he's going! :)

Just a note on the WM HP's for $298, they have a 6 cell battery. What this means is that you aren't ever going to get good battery life out of it & if you want things on more than just minimum performance (screen brightness, graphics, etc.) then you most likely will get a max of an hour or 2 out of it. I have an HP now that I'm hoping to upgrade at Best Buy this year that has a 12 cell battery & I love it. The 6 cell is what most of the netbooks have in them if that gives you an idea of their size.

BTW: I'm no computer expert, this is research I've been doing for myself in looking to buy a laptop & a netbook on BF this year & is just what I've come across. Please feel free to add on if I'm wrong on something! :)

3. It is K-Mart.

Are you accounting for the fact that the K-Mart netbook doesn't run Windows (XP/Vista/Win7) or Linux, but Windows CE? The included browser in WinCE doesn't support flash, nor the complex javascript that many advanced sites use. Expect to be only able to browse sites as simple as google's classic search page. More advanced sites like iGoogle and Facebook will most likely not work.

It's a great move on K-Mart's part. It allows them to advertise a very low price that will catch the eye of the non-techie, getting them into the door.

Just a note on the WM HP's for $298, they have a 6 cell battery. What this means is that you aren't ever going to get good battery life out of it & if you want things on more than just minimum performance (screen brightness, graphics, etc.) then you most likely will get a max of an hour or 2 out of it. I have an HP now that I'm hoping to upgrade at Best Buy this year that has a 12 cell battery & I love it. The 6 cell is what most of the netbooks have in them if that gives you an idea of their size.

BTW: I'm no computer expert, this is research I've been doing for myself in looking to buy a laptop & a netbook on BF this year & is just what I've come across. Please feel free to add on if I'm wrong on something! :)

Not liking the battery life but what am I gonna do?! I'll probably need one before BF and there is NO WAY I'd touch Best Buy on BF! ;)

Sure, a 9-cell or 12-cell battery will give you better battery life, but I doubt you can find a laptop for $298 that has either one. Just about every sub-$400 laptop will have a 6-cell unless you 're willing to pay extra for a larger battery. A 6-cell battery will usually get you between two and three hours (depending on your power settings) of unplugged use, which is fine for most people looking for a budget laptop.

I was curious if you guys think the computer featured tomorrow at wal mart will be one of the best values this season. I love the price and I would be purchasing it for my 10 yr. old son. Any advice would be great.

The Celeron processor prevents this from being a GREAT deal. But for the price of a netbook, you get a full-sized notebook. It's a good deal. For a 10 yr old, it will be fine.

I was curious if you guys think the computer featured tomorrow at wal mart will be one of the best values this season. I love the price and I would be purchasing it for my 10 yr. old son. Any advice would be great.

I am looking at this one for my 10 yr old daughter as well... it would be used for: iTunes, Webkinz (which I was told cannot be played on a netbook, screen cuts off), school work (MS Office), and internet (there are some websites she has to go to for school). She will also probably want to play my Farmville - LOL!

Oh and I can see the 5 yr old possibly wanting to play Freddie Fish on it as well. :rolleyes:

Apparently, everyone is forgetting the laptop for sale this week @Walmart for $348.

It has 4GB Ram, a Dual-Core AMD chip, 250GB hard drive, Dedicated Video Card (ATI Radeon I believe) 15.6" widescreen and Windows 7 Home Premium.

it's in the ad for this week.

see thread here:http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=155167

It's dual core. Not a bad little system for the price. Here's the specs from Walmart.com (got them by clicking the buy now button from the online ad):

Acer 15.6" AS5534-1096 Laptop PC with AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core Processor & Windows 7 Home Premium

Specifications

AMD Athlon" 64 X2 dual-core processor L310

Delivers the performance to complete daily tasks, email and more at 1.2GHz, 1MB L2 Cache @800Mhz Front side bus on a AMD M780G Chipset

4GB of DDR2 system memory

Offers fast response time enabling efficient multitasking and quick boot-ups.

250GB 5400rpm SATA hard drive

Stores your digital albums, music library and media files. Up to 71,000 Photos, 60,000 Songs & 29 Hour of HD Video.

15.6" high-definition LED backlit widescreen display

Lets you view Websites, share digital photos and watch movies with 1366 x 768 resolution

ATI Radeon" HD 3200 Graphics with up to 1919MB of HyperMemory" (256MB dedicated and 1663 shared system memory)

SuperMulti double-layer DVD drive

Enables you to watch movies and burn DVDs and CDs of your favorite music, digital photos and videos all in different formats.

Wireless Wi-Fi and wired Ethernet enable you to connect to a broadband modem (cable or DSL) wirelessly or using the wired 10/100 Ethernet port.

Additional Features

6-cell rechargeable battery for around a 3.5 hour battery life

Multi-in-one digital card reader for convenient connection to printers flash drives, video cameras and more

Dedicated numeric keypad makes number key-ins quick and easy

Integrated audio with stereo speakers

5.3Lbs total weight.

Ports: USB 2.0 (3), VGA Video Output, Headphone Jack & Microphone Jack

Software

Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition. To learn more about the Features of Windows 7 Click here

Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007 60 Day Trail Edition

Microsoft Works 9.0

McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall (30-day trial version)

Warranty & Support

1-Year international Travelers Limited Warranty and Phone Support

Nope, didn't forget. I'd just rather have an HP with an Intel single-core than an Acer with an AMD duel-core...and it's $50 cheaper! :)

In several cases I would normally agree (especially when it comes to mobile/laptop processors) but I would NOT go back to a Celeron chip. I've had and tried several different units (5 years old to 2 months ago NEW) and they have been a pain to work with on many occasions. I don't think I was requiring too much of the CPU but apprently the chip did. If this was an AMD Sempron, I would ALSO agree with you. But it's an Athlon X2 Dual Core. Equivalent to the Intel Dual Core (not Core2Duo) processors typically.

and for the extra $50, they give you a dedicated video card, 4GB ram and a dual-core chip.

The RAM alone is worth it if you were to buy it separately :)

But to each their own, I hope you end up getting the one you like most :yup:

In several cases I would normally agree (especially when it comes to mobile/laptop processors) but I would NOT go back to a Celeron chip. I've had and tried several different units (5 years old to 2 months ago NEW) and they have been a pain to work with on many occasions. I don't think I was requiring too much of the CPU but apprently the chip did. If this was an AMD Sempron, I would ALSO agree with you. But it's an Athlon X2 Dual Core. Equivalent to the Intel Dual Core (not Core2Duo) processors typically.

and for the extra $50, they give you a dedicated video card, 4GB ram and a dual-core chip.

The RAM alone is worth it if you were to buy it separately :)

But to each their own, I hope you end up getting the one you like most :yup:

I am a fan of AMD... I used to build our computers, but it has been so, so long and a, now way out of the loop. Do you think would play Halo and WOW? I am needing a laptop for my son to play these games. Not necessarily at max settings... Or am I completely a nut and am looking at a lot more $$$ for a laptop to play these games?

EDit: If not, what are the min settings I can get away with on a lap to to play these games, and anyone have any suggestions?

Would this one be okay for running photoshop and editing pictures?

Edited by Etaria

Okay I have read this thread all the way through and i am still lost. I am hoping to buy DD a laptop for Christmas. She is a senior in HS and will be off to college next fall. She will need it for homework and Facebook. She also plays a few of the facebook apps such as Farm Town etc. She also watches movies and downloads some music and photos. I am looking for one that is lightweight and has a decent battery time. I don't know much about memory and speed etc. I really don't want to spend over $400.00. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!