Contest: Win GottaDeal.com Reusable Grocery Bag 4-Packs - WINNERS CHOSEN!

Brad

Our first contest of the year here in the Black Friday forum!

I'm going to give away five (5) 4-packs of our new GD reusable grocery bags.

To enter, all you have to do is reply to this thread with your answers to these 3 questions:

1. In your opinion, what store had the best Black Friday ad last year (2008) and why?

2. What would be your #1 piece of advice to someone totally new to Black Friday?

3. Besides offering great deals, what else can a store do to get you to shop there on BF?

I'll keep the contest open until Sunday, August 9th at 10pm ET. At that point I'll randomly select 5 winners from all entries and each of those winners will receive a 4-pack of bags.

And if you want to purchase bags or want to see pics of what they look like, see here.

http://www.gottadeal.com/images/bag.gifhttp://www.gottadeal.com/images/bag.gifhttp://www.gottadeal.com/images/bag.gifhttp://www.gottadeal.com/images/bag.gif

1. In your opinion, what store had the best Black Friday ad last year (2008) and why?

2. What would be your #1 piece of advice to someone totally new to Black Friday?

3. Besides offering great deals, what else can a store do to get you to shop there on BF?

Well, #1 is two folded for me, Target had the best deals for me but I didn't get there in time to take advantage of them but because Walmart price matched, I was able to get the items there later in the day.

#2, be prepared, check out GD and get your game plan in order, if you have friends that are willing to join up in the fun, spread out with a list and everyone hits a different store to get all the items everyone wants from each store, can cover more ground that way. I also find, look online, sometimes the deals are the same or better without having to go out at 5 am to the stores. Right here on GD, there were a ton of posts of sales that really were just as good and easy without having to leave the house on BF. Also patience, don't freak if you don't get something, you might be able to price match so keep all your flyers.

#3 freebies would be what would get me into the store more, maybe better bundled items that had some great stuff in the bundle that maybe other stores don't have. Example-if I was buying a DS lite, if it was a bundle with maybe a game or two, case and other accessories and its the same price as another stores price without all the extras, I would definitely be buying from them. Also, the price matching of other stores deals. If I can go to one store with all the flyers and they will price match the other stores prices, I would shop with them.

1) the best add for me was Target. I was able to get clothes for the kids, batteries for all the kids toys, dvd's for everyone, and toys and video games for the kids. I ususally spend the most each year at Target and last year was no exception.

2) My piece of advise is go with other people and split up in the store. Also do not take a cart if you can help it. I have a huge Ikea shopping bag that I take each year. It fits a ton of stuff and I don't have to get stuck trying to get a cart around other people.

3) Friendly staff members help when trying to get customers in. I love going to our Kohl's on Black Friday. The last 2 years the store manager stood outside with all of us waiting to get in. She walked up and down the lines at each door talking to everyone and would give you an idea where something was located if you asked. She also was great when the doors were ready to open and people were just just getting out of their cars thinking they were going to cut in front of everyone who had waited outside in the cold. She actually called the male employees out to stand at the doors and make sure that everyone in line got in before these people.

1. Sears. They had alot of practical items that you can use year around to help you and your family. They took the current situation we are in and tailored it to bring good deals.

2. Research and Plan! You need to do alot of research on the items you are getting, the store you will be shopping at and what is the atmosphere is like at the store you want to go to. Is the store a free for all like WM or tickets like BB. Just because it says "Doorbuster" it does not mean it is a good deal. In your planning you need to know when you will get to the store, what you need to have with you and how does the store conduct BF.

3. For me they need to plan for BF better. I shop at BB becuase they have the ticket system which controls the crowds and makes the shopping trip safe and more enjoyable. WM needs to learn from last years riot they had in NY. Women who are preg and the weak should never shop at WM. The way WM conducts BF you may lose your life or if you are lucky just your wig!

1. Target had the best ad for me. Clothes, electronics, dvd's/video games, etc. And Black Friday runs the smoothest there out of all the stores I shop at.

2. My #1 piece of advice would be to get registered at gottadeal and to go back and read the archives from previous Black Friday's. Reading these boards is really all the preparation one needs.

3. Stores can offer incentives to get me to shop there; bundles on electronics and video games, free things with purchases over a certain amount, and if stores would hand out a map and give you an idea of how many they had in each item. Then I would know where I needed to be and if I knew I couldn't get a certain item then I wouldn't miss out on other items while trying to get it. That would be helpful for me b/c I usually do Black Friday alone now.

1. Target. I was able to get the Guitar Hero, a huge Lego set, and movies. For the first time, I went the weekend before and got the things I wanted, then returned the following weekend to get a price adjustment. I can't believe how slick that worked, will definately do it again this year.

2. Make a list and be aware of stores that will price match. Walmart is a big one that will price match, so I am usually able to eliminate a couple of stores by just pricematching.

3. I'm a sucker for a freebie. A "free" gift with purchase. Those darn globes at JC Penney tempt me every year. :)

1. For my needs last year Kohls had the best BF ad, Finances were limited and they had some great buys on clothes that my sons would wear. None of the ads were enough to have me break the tight budget. THis year might be different, depends on the stores...

2. Comfortable shoes, especially if you are going to stand in line (and you will in some stores if not before). Patience and a sense of humor is a must, some people are jerks no matter what and you need to be able to laugh at them (maybe not out loud).

3. Freebies!!! I used to stand in line for Target even when I didn't need a darn thing and I always found something I couldn't live without once I got inside. Friendly sales people is also a plus also. I buy more when people are friendly.

1.for me its jc penny,the ad showing most of the kids cloth were only 2 or 3 dollars tempted me to go there.

2.my advice will be to google search all the shop to find a shop with nice deal

3.if the shops offer any gc depending on the purchase that will make me to go and stand in the line first

1. Target, got a lot of DVD's, vacuum, and electronic there. They consistently have a great ad.

2. Plan ahead with game plan of stores, items needed, and know your prices.

3. Offer coupons on future visits when you buy something. Lowes does this and it really comes in handy in the few weeks following BF.

I think Best Buy had a good one. But I bought the most at teh ebil WalMart and Kohls.

Spend your first year shopping for things that are not "hot" items. That way you get the hang of shopping in the crowds. Then go all out the next year.

Serve me free coffee lol.

1.) In my opinion, Walmart had the best Black Friday ad. They had the most items that I was looking for and all in one store rather than driving around to many stores so early in the A.M.

2.) My advice would be to research the items you are wanting to buy before going into the store to purchase them. You just might find it cheaper, (or a better quality for the same price) elsewhere.

3.) Have some kind of system of order. I hate going to a store to pick up the great bargains, and having to deal with people butting in front of me, or pushing me around to get what they want. Very annoying.

Target had the best ad, but the 24 hr WalMart priced matched at midnight.

Take the ads with you.

Have a fully trained staffed and have the items in easy accessible places, not hidden in unknown departments around the store.

1. For me it was Office Depot just because they had several things very cheap that were on my list to get. And, they are an easier in & out then most. Walgreens also was a very good one for me last year, and that is REALLY an easy in & out. Now, no one asked, but the worse was Meijer because they wouldn't PM the other BF ads last year.

2. When you're checking it out on GD & in the paper ads and making your lists, top on the list must be the time of opening. Then, jiggle your list around to see how you can possibly be at 10 places at one time, LOL! If you are lucky enough to have all night stores that PM, go several hours before the BF ad starts and at least get all your PM picked out. Better yet, get your lists off GD & go check out where they carry the items & also PM days before BF. Be organized, get your AM specials & get out--go back later for things that aren't so important.

3. Price match. Also, organize the sale--tickets are great, but the big box stores that use them usually have one line for each item, and you can't get through a line, and get another item so I don't like that. I like Staples because they have table "stations" set up for all their best stuff as you go in. You stop at each table & get a ticket for whatever items you want as you enter the store. When the tickets are gone, the items are all sold & that table puts up a sign saying so. Also, some following of the stores regular place for items would be great. (Meijer, again, but WM too). I don't like when I spend the time looking for an item, only to find it's in some bizarre place in the store and by that time, it's all gone. Maybe a map/ad combo with the location of each buster and whether it's by ticket or line or whatever would be enough to make me choose that store first. Lastly, open OFF schedule with the other stores. When I have to choose, some get OFF the list completely. ABC always gets a visit for just this reason!

1. Babies R Us- Because I was pregnant with my first baby at the time and their prices on baby essentials were awesome!

2. Have a plan, know what you're going for, take the ads with you, get to the check out line quickly or have someone stand in line for you

3. Being organized and fully stocked with the big items, offering freebies doesn't hurt either! :)

1. Menards- They always have tons of stuff we want for the holidays at great prices.

2. Don't go alone!! It's just too hard, you need someone to pass the time with in line and to watch your loot for potty breaks ;)

3. Make sure your employees know what's on sale and WHERE things are!! I don't know how much time I've spent following clueless employees around!

I hate to admit it but Walmart had the best ad in my opinion. I went there first and spent the most money there than any other store.

Watch Gottadeal day and night for the best prices/sales on items before Black Friday so you don't have to try and get everything on your list in a few hours.

Allowing waiting in the store (Walmart did last year) and some type of breakfast/coffee while waiting would be great. Also passing out maps of where everything is located would be great.

My favorite Black Friday 2008 ad had to be Walmart and Target. I love to get the discounted DVD's that both stores put on sale for Black Friday. Walmart usually has the best selection of $3.00 - $5.00 DVD's on Black Friday, you can't beat that for a new DVD.

I'd start by looking through all the Black Friday ads and put together a list of what I want from each store and when each store opens. Most stores don't open at the same time so you can go from store to store and get the blockbusters from each at opening.

Well, I usually don't shop at JC Penney's but I do go on Black Friday because they give out a mini free Disney snowglobe and being the Disney freak/collector that I am, I just have to have that little snowglobe each year. Some store give out something free if your the first "XX" many people in the store that morning. Giving out free drinks and donuts would be nice.

They didn't have an ad, but I got so much that I wanted at Amazon last year. I had to wake up at 1:30 in the morning, but I was able to get everything I wanted.

Plan ahead. Get all the ads early from Gottadeal and make your game plan. Stores might offer the same thing but make sure you are getting the best price.

Drinks/cofee, maps of where the merchandise is (think Super Walmart where a lot of things are scattered all over) and I'll gladly take any freebies.

GRRR, for me it was Walmart. It is the only game in town, so to speak

For someone who is new I would tell them to "Have Fun!". Enjoy what all the craziness is about, feel the excitement, and hopefully the can get a few things off of their list!

I love perks. I recall little freebies to a certain number of customers!

1. I can barely remember what I bought last year, so I will say Target because they had some DVDs that I was wanting. My DH and I normally only shop for ourselves on BF, and there wasn't much that we wanted last year.

2. Have a shopping list prepared and get to the stores at least 3-4 hours before they open unless you're needing to go to Best Buy, then plan on camping out a day or two.

3. I can't think of anything else I would need the stores to offer besides good deals. In ways, I would like the weather to be somewhat nice, but the stores can't control that ;).

I guess I'd have to say Kohl's since that's where I spent the most money that day. 50% off +Kohl's cash+MVP coupon=some really good deals.

Weigh the savings on the item against the trouble. Be aware that there are lots of other people after the same things you are, particularly electronics. If its worth it to you to camp out in the cold for many many hours more power to ya. Personally, it's not worth it to me to stand in the cold for more than an hour so I miss out on that stuff. To each his own.

Let me inside before the sales start. #1 reason we started with Wal-mart last year. No waiting in the cold. Courteous, educated help is a big plus too.

target had the best ad for me..usually does

CHECK OUT GD for all the info!!! and dont go alone

offer beverages and food i always loved circuit city because they had chickfala (SP?) set up outside their stores

i know i sound like a broken record, nut this would def be target for me! they had sooo many deals i didnt know what to do?? second would have to prob be kohls, i didnt spend much time there but got lots and lots of PJ pants..

read the forums here, make a list and book of ads, dont carry too much with you. i have a business card case that holds my liscense, debit card, and cash. my cell goes in my pocket and i wear a hoodie with a pocket with the current stores ad in it. thats about it!

freebies!!! and the customer service is sooo important to me that early in the am. last year a target, there was someone standing at the door handing out maps with where everything that was on sale was located! that was sooo nice! everyone should do that......

Definitely Walmart. They always have very competitive prices and they price match so even if another store had a particular item at a great price, if Walmart had that item and I was already there, I could get that item and save a trip.

Well, definitely check out Gottadeal several times per day if your time allows because the friendly people here always keep each other informed on the great deals to come, and make sure you are getting your newspaper ads. If not, check out the stores websites. Amazon.com always has great deals for Black Fridays. I did most of my Christmas shopping via the computer and shopping at Amazon. I got Nintendo DS games for under $5. Plus, if you sign up for their Prime shipping, the shipping is completely free and you can get many items the next day.

Offer free coffee, donuts, ample quantities of advertised items and good security. I certainly DO NOT want to be trampled on my way in the door just to get the newest Tickle Me Elmo.:eek:

1. Walmart had the best deals for me last year and loved being inside and it was organized, then Target, then Perisian, and last Kohls, I leave Kohls to last because they usually extend their sale hours when your in the store, the others dont.

2. Bring Friends with cell phones. Its great when you coordinate your purchases with friends because you can get the items fast and while they are in stock. My sister and I brought our daughters so they stayed by the cart while we ran around the store. Make sure all cell phones are charged fully.

3. I agree with the comments above on offering coffee and donuts. It doesn't cost the store much to offer continental breakfast and it would be something people would remember year to year. I can't believe Meijers doesn't even serve coffee (you pay for it) until 6am - that is disappointing.

Edited by elite2058

Target had the best sales ad. They had great prices and thanks to GD I was able to go in a couple of days and the night before to purchase BF deals and then I went in later BF morning and pricematched!

Comfy shoes and a big car!

Organize, Organize, Organize. Have people walking isles/at front of store to help guide people to where particular items are. Offer BF sales online at midnight!!!!!

i would have to agree wal mart as for the last few years i have been off work for a while and they have nice cheapie gifts

for someone totally new to the scene...get there early i was totally new to this til i got to my late 20's. my mom didnt drive therefore we never went to black friday things

freebies also maybe have mcdonalds or the local convienence store chain have coffee maybe a couple hundred cups even if we had to pay .50 it would be so cool

Target, in my opinion, but I may be partial because I love to shop there all year around. As for on-line, I was just totally blow away with Amazon. Loved their Gold Box toy deals, was rarely away from my computer from November to late January....

OK, I guess this may just be me, but my advice would be: Cyber Monday. Last year I did about 90% of my xmas shopping online (again thanks to Amazon and the free trial of Prime), so technically the UPS guy did all my running around for me, and I still got awesome prices! I also have never had the guts to go out on Black Friday...and I think it'll stay that way!

Free coffee is a GREAT idea. I think the stores would make more money, from all the caffinated shoppers! Also freebies (ornaments or reuseable shopping bags maybe), BOGO's, putting their ad out earlier, crazy little one-hour specials or something....

1. Best Black Friday ad had to me Target for me personally. I bought the most stuff there and I liked the dvds they had on sale.

2. As for advice- I tell people to check out Gotta Deal and to go shopping with a friend or group. It's helpful if you need to split up and search for something.

3. I would like it if stores offered coffee and donuts too or some kind of free souvenier would be nice.