What did you buy previous Black Friday's that you regret?

abentley

I stood in line forever for a 32" sylvania LCD tv. Biggest peice of crap Ive ever owned. It was in the shop for almost a month because of parts issues. Finally they tell us to get it back from the repair shop, that cost us 30 bucks. warrenty doesnt cover labor. We send it to FUNAI. That is who handles syvanias problems apparently. They send it back to us all better according to them. Turned it on the other day, junk again. That deal you get is not always a great deal. It was bought at meijer by the way. Not pointing finger at meijer, just saying where it was purchased so you would know which tv it was.

Thank you so much for the replies. I just finished putting the Pixos in my Amazon cart because I thought my girl would love it. I am one of those mothers that if the item becomes a hassle, it disappears. It sounds like it would disappear rather quickly so I am not going to buy it.

I would vote for any Discovery toys. These last about 5 hours on the "holds their interest" scale. My husband on the other hand has found lots of hours of enjoyment out of the toys :)

The Fisher Price Busy Ball Popper. That thing is SO loud and shoots the balls crazy distances. Not to mention drove my dogs to madness. Watching a toddler try to outrun 2 dogs to get to the balls is kinda funny though.

I too was so excited last year. My son's first Christmas and I was so sure he'd love all the toys I waited in line for, researched, plotted and ran to get. Not so much. This year I am lowering my expectations so I don't sit in tears while he chews on a box and all the toys go unplayed with.

Two things come to mind.

2007-Walmart DVD camcorder: I nearly lost a limb waiting in line for that thing, and we've only used it once. Talk about a waste of money. :no:

2008-Target Popcorn Maker: A complete piece of junk. Used it once and kernels were flying everywhere...and didn't pop the majority of kernels. DH was so looking forward to using it but I ended up returning it. This year I'm going to spend the money for a decent one for him. :yup:

A few years ago I got all 3 of my kiddos DS's...I kid you not within 3 months all 3 had taken them to our local game place that buys used items and sold them!!!!:eyepoppin:eyepoppin

Then about 6 months later my youngest asked for another one...I considered drop kicking him but decided against it.

I love this thread! Its a great reminder to not get too caught up in the hype of the holiday season!

I have learned my lesson. Whenever possible I research electronics before I shop and touch all cloth (clothes, blankets, towels, etc) before I check out. I have had a lot of dud items on my BF want list that end up being junk, especially Wal-mart clothes. The last 2 years I ended up not buying the PJs, sweatshirts, towels and clogs that I thought I wanted to get. DD wanted the cupcake maker last year and it is her "must-have" item for this year. I don't want her to have free access to a jar of frosting, so I don't plan on buying it. I thought that Santa might bring it for her, but with all the bad reviews I doubt it. Santa wouldn't knowingly give a bad toy, right?

I was pleasantly surprised with the cheap camera that I got from WM last BF. I was giving it as a gift and didn't want to give junk so I took it out and played with it before I wrapped it. It was OK. I don't think I would have been thrilled if I had bought it for myself, but it seemed good for my mom's first digital camera. She loves it. It still works well for her and I still get compliments and thanks for it.

A few years ago I got all 3 of my kiddos DS's...I kid you not within 3 months all 3 had taken them to our local game place that buys used items and sold them!!!!:eyepoppin:eyepoppin

Then about 6 months later my youngest asked for another one...I considered drop kicking him but decided against it.

:rotflol: considered drop kicking... I'd consider it too after buying 3 DS's, they sell them and then one wants it again. :no:

I won't re-buy things or pieces of a collection that my kids had at one time and decided to get rid off or sell at a garage sale. Play Mobil is a big one, we had tons of sets and the pieces were all over the house. I warned my boys that if they didn't pick them up I was getting rid of them. They were fine with me getting rid of them. Now they are asking for more, Oh, and Matchbox Mega Rig toys too. Had a bunch, got rid of them and now they are asking for more. NO WAY!

I regret most of the toys I buy. The My Size Barbie that was $10 at Walmart last BF. The Hot Wheels city that was $20. I didn't need them and they turned out to be a waste of money.

In 2007, I believe, on BF they had different colored Bissell vacuums at WM(not the stick vacs)...no hose...terrible suction...so cheap and plastic-y...I think they were 20 dollars. Yeah. It was a waste. Less than a year later I purchased a new Eureka vacuum. I LOVE it! :)

The Fisher Price Busy Ball Popper. That thing is SO loud and shoots the balls crazy distances. Not to mention drove my dogs to madness. Watching a toddler try to outrun 2 dogs to get to the balls is kinda funny though.

I bought this from Amazon on a great deal for my nephew and he LOVES it, one of his favorite toys. My sister didn't seem to midn, but I have never even seen it work. He was just a little too young when I gave it to him and I haven't been to his house since (we live 3,000 miles away) :(

I love this thread! Its a great reminder to not get too caught up in the hype of the holiday season!

I have learned my lesson. Whenever possible I research electronics before I shop and touch all cloth (clothes, blankets, towels, etc) before I check out. I have had a lot of dud items on my BF want list that end up being junk, especially Wal-mart clothes. The last 2 years I ended up not buying the PJs, sweatshirts, towels and clogs that I thought I wanted to get. DD wanted the cupcake maker last year and it is her "must-have" item for this year. I don't want her to have free access to a jar of frosting, so I don't plan on buying it. I thought that Santa might bring it for her, but with all the bad reviews I doubt it. Santa wouldn't knowingly give a bad toy, right?

I was pleasantly surprised with the cheap camera that I got from WM last BF. I was giving it as a gift and didn't want to give junk so I took it out and played with it before I wrapped it. It was OK. I don't think I would have been thrilled if I had bought it for myself, but it seemed good for my mom's first digital camera. She loves it. It still works well for her and I still get compliments and thanks for it.

if it's the cupcake maker that you ice the cupcakes don't get it, it's a messy piece of junk that didn't work well, cute idea but garbage

I don't think I've had any bf deals that I regret buying...but honestly, DH and I were talking about all the stuff that we really wanted and have but never use. Things like a kitchenmaid stand mixer, deep fryer, bread maker, etc. All things we recieved as gifts for our wedding over 2 years ago that we've never used (well, we used the bread machine for a few months but then had to get it off the counter and haven't pulled it out since)

Me, I'd LOVE a cricut this year and even DH saw it in the ad and was drooling (okay, we used to do vinyl signs when we were in high school for the school...and so that was the first thing that popped into his mind) but honestly, we more than likely won't be getting one because I don't think we'd use it as much as I'd like to say we would. Although, would be nice for school projects as our kids get older...*maybe* it will make it's way back onto our shopping list

Me, I'd LOVE a cricut this year and even DH saw it in the ad and was drooling (okay, we used to do vinyl signs when we were in high school for the school...and so that was the first thing that popped into his mind) but honestly, we more than likely won't be getting one because I don't think we'd use it as much as I'd like to say we would. Although, would be nice for school projects as our kids get older...*maybe* it will make it's way back onto our shopping list

I got a Cricut a couple of years ago. I don't use it as much as I thought I would, and I have way too many cartridges for it that have never been used (but at least were bought at a great price, not full price). But I do use it enough that I don't regret buying it at all. I bought it for scrapbooking, but have yet to use it for that purpose. I've made Christmas cards with it, album covers, posters, boards for school projects... If you want one, get it... just don't go overboard on cartridges - find a good letter cartridge and stay with that one until you feel you need more.

I purchased the Memorex IPOD speaker system from Target last year for my brother. I believe it is on sale this year too. He had it for about a month and it quit working. Target was nice enough to let him exchange it for something else because they didn't have any more in stock. He really liked it and it turned out to be a piece of junk.

2008 Walmart had bed sets for 28 or 38 dollars came with comforter, pillows, shams and bed skirt. Cheapest things ever went to the garbage in one month. And worse I got bruised on my sides trying to get to the boxes.

Uh oh, now I'm wondering if I should skip the ones they have this year for $35.

Last year I bought a box of the beads to make jewerly at Kmart for a friends kid. my friend never forgave me for that. She said there were beads for 6 months all over the house.

I don't have kids so at the time I didn't really think of it. Just thought the kid would like them!

My kids are older now, but when they were younger, I did regret buying all those darn toys with a million parts. I swear I stepped on so many pieces and so many were lost. I was a really bad impulse buyer back in the day. Now that they are older and don't play with toys, it's a lot better (though more expensive!). lol

Just found a few more.

I was out back with the kids and found the Moon Shoes that my DS "Had to Have!!" half-buried in the sandbox.

My DD also had a bead jewelry set (forget the name) that was a complete disappointment for her. You had to lace everything with a piece of wire. No clips, just wrap the wire either around the neck or the wrist. (Yea.....real safe!!)

My youngest DS got a CARS automated figure 8 track that had a "Speed Burst" option. The button broke two weeks after opening it and the thing devoured a 12-pk of D's in three weeks!!