can i sell my used copy of tax cut 2008 after using it?

skylog

hello all,

not sure if this fits here, but after i am done with my tax cut software, can i resell it and will the buyer have the functionality that i did? i notice it comes with 5 free e-files, but i would only be using one. do they track this via install? product number? i would not want to leave someone hanging.

thanks.

When me and my mom buy software, we always share it. I bought a McAfee Virus p rotection software at a garage sale. I used it and my mom used it. No problem. We also bought Family Tree Maker and we both got the free year Ancestry. They cannot track the individual software unless you have to type in a license key off the box.

They cannot track the individual software unless you have to type in a license key off the box.

I don't know about Tax Cut, but I think with Turbo Tax you have to type in some sort of key off the box if I remember correctly. I have let others do their tax on my computer at my house after I do my taxes with Turbo Tax.

i will pick up my order sometime in the next few days, so i will see if there is a required key. i probably should have waited a little longer but it was a fair deal at best buy with a free dvd, up to 19.99 in value. i picked up season six of 24 which was on sale for.....19.99 Edited by skylog
more information

i used Tax Cut once and it causesd me to be audited with a 2000 mistake. I went with TurboTax after that. It's free for many and didn't cost me much to just go online and do it without any software.

eeeeek i've never been audited but then again I don't itemize much just the house mortgage tax and hubby's work clothes although I think i'll add on prescription costs this year cuz we've been paying 158 a month in copays for Zack's meds. Only other thing I would think I could screw up are stocks

i just chatted with an online rep from h and r block. he stated you can install and re-install the software without losing any e-files and he said one could do anyone's taxes, they do not care who, and they will still be allowed to use the free e-files. i suppose it is not a solid answer as i have yet to find out about the cd key, but i suppose it looks promising. i will update some more when i have more information.

as for audits, i have only had one problem ever with my taxes and that was when i used turbo tax, but in all honesty, i should have seen the problem. i will not get into all the public relations problems turbo tax has had with drm, pricing and the most recent debacle which forced them into lowering the price and offering more...it speaks for itself.

• 1 month later...