Christmas Eve traditions?

Momto32003

We don't really do anything for X-mas eve as we get together with my family X-mas day and my husbands Mom and Dad passed away at the begining of the year.

I was looking to maybe start a new thing to do. We do make cookies for Santa and of course the kids write there notes as well.

What do you guys do or do you have an cute ideas I can adopt?

THANKS!!

We do our big Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve and we watch Christmas movies. We also track Santa on NORAD. Normally we let the kids open one present too. I have no idea what we will do this year since we are very far away from our family:( I am sure we will have to come up with no traditions. The big dinner will still be on Christmas Eve though. Leftovers on Christmas Day so there is no extra work involved. Putting batteries in new toys and picking up trash keeps me busy enough;)

Bagpipes are the most common Italian Christmas sound. The zampognari, the shepherds who play the bagpipes, come down from their mountain homes at Christmas time and perform in the market squares. The playing of bagpipes is popular in the regions of Calabria and Abruzzo, and in the piazzas of Rome. The melodies played are adapted from old hill tunes. Modern zampognari wear the traditional outfits of sheepskin vests, leather breeches, and a woolen cloak. The tradition of bagpipes goes back to ancient Roman times. Legend says that the shepherds entertained the Virgin Mary in Bethlehem. Today, the zampognari perform their own private pilgrimage, stopping before every shrine to the Madonna and every Nativity scene.

Children in Italy believe in a female version of Santa Claus called La Befana, an old woman who flies on a broom and brings presents. According to Italian legend, Three Wise Men asked La Befana for directions to Bethlehem. La Befana was asked to join them but declined three times. It took an unusually bright light and a band of angels to convince La Befana that she must join the Wise Men, but she was too late. She never found the Christ child and has been searching ever since. On January 6, the Feast of Epiphany, La Befana goes out on her broom to drop off stockings filled with treats to all the sleeping children of Italy. Just as children in America leave milk and cookies for jolly Santa Claus, La Befana collects messages and refreshments throughout the night. Click here for an entertaining book about La Befana.

Edited by dealluvr
add

Every year we go to my MIL house. Thats when we celebrate christmas with her. Exchange gifts and have a nice dinner.

Then we come home by 7pm or so. Everyone gets their showers and Pjs on. Then I make popcorn and we watch A Christmas Store on TBS. The marathon starts at 8pm so we make sure we don't watch it until then.

I was hoping for some great ideas on this, too. This is the first year we haven't had somewhere to go on Christmas Eve. Everyone has spread the dinners out this week, due to Christmas falling on Thursday. Everyone is working Christmas Eve so they can have 4 day weekends.

It's probably a one-year thing, but I'd like to do something really fun for the kids. The problem is that no one can agree on a special dinner or what to do.

We always go to my mamma's and do our christmas for there with aunts and uncles and grandparents and such..then home to open new pj's and ornament for the year (tradition that came from someone here) put out cookies/carrots and then zoe to bed so I can wrap and decorate santa gifts!!

It is also one of the few days of the year I can drag my hubby to church. 10pm service right before bed (although that is soooo late for my little one)

Edited by zoemariesmamma
more info

we open one gift (always our new nightclothes this way everyone looks extra nice for pictures in the morning) and read the night before Christmas,then off to sleep except for us elf helpers who get down to business filling stockings and placing gifts under the tree

We have always went to my grandmother's on Xmas Eve and when we would come home and get the kids in bed we'd spend the rest of the night wrapping presents. She passed away last year and it was the first time in all my life I didn't have anything to do on Christmas Eve so we tried to start a new tradition with my family coming to our house, but it just seemed odd. This year dh has a new job and has to work 3rd shift Xmas Eve. So we decided we'd just have a quite night at home with the kids. The downside is I'll be up wrapping presents by myself this year :( But we're just thankful for the job he has :)

we have my parents over for dinner...but this is the best part...

for years and years my dad's family insisted we all dress up for Christmas eve dinner...we ate in my grandmother's barely finished basement and ate off of paper plates. getting dressed up was sooo lame

so now my parents come over and we wear blue jeans and order pizza...but we eat it off my nice Christmas dishes!!!! It's sooo fun

the kids get to open a few gifts...always new jammies (and each year I pick a theme...this year it's penguins, so they are also getting a stuffed penguin and a chocolate penguin, etc). They also get a new ornament each year and get to hang it on the tree

we watch The Christmas Story along with other cheesy holiday movies

string popcorn

build a gingerbread house

go caroling

work in a soup kitchen

drive around and see all the wonderful holiday light displays (even just some of the houses are amazing!)

we also hvae a special book that my dh has had his whole life...it's called The Tall Book of Christmas...it's just a book with stories in it...we read one for each day of Advent but we also read it on Christmas Eve (find a special book that you only read out of on Christmas Eve)

make dog treats for your own, or other special pets

take cookies to the nurses stations in the hospital, the police department, fire department, etc

drive around and give candy canes to those poor people whohave to work on Christmas eve in gas stations, restaurants, etc and give them a very HAPPY "Merry Christmas"

Take mittens, blankets, hats, etc to a shelter

take coloring books and crayons and cookies to a shelter that has kids

well xmas eve is my birthday, so we usually go out to dinner earlier in the day and then do some sort of activity.... i think this year it will be bowling cuz our DS wont sit thru antyhing, so it will be good for him. then the kids make cookies for santa and when they go to bed, the adults finish up any last minute gift wrapping, set out the presents and go to bed. maybe have a glass of wine and talk for a little bit and listen to xmas music.

As a family we go out to a late lunch on Christmas Eve. Then home around 3 or 4, sometimes a little later. We then open up one gift (pjs), this year I also bought a game to play for that night. Nick Scene it. The kids will love it. Through out the evening we track Santa and watch Christmas movies.

We go to Christmas Eve service at church, then come home, eat dinner, watch a Christmas movie, and since my dad ALWAYS read Twas the Night Before Christmas to me when I was growing up, my dh now does it since my dad now lives 2 hours away! I tried wrapping ds' gifts from Santa last night so I won't have to do that Christmas Eve this year. DH and I will do our gifts to each other after son goes to bed.

We go to church at 4 p.m. Then my sister, brother and our families go to mom and dads. We have sandwiches. We read the Christmas story from the bible, then one of the kids puts baby Jesus in the manger. Then we sing Happy Birthday to Jesus and have cake or cupcakes. Then we read Twas the Night Before Christmas and we open gifts from each other and our parents. We track Santa on Norad and then go home and get kids ready for bed.

On christmas eve I let the kids open their new pajamas, slippers, and a new book. But thats not until we get done having christmas with my paternal grandmothers side of the family, but this year not planning on staying too long because of some family issues. So then we will head to my step fathers brothers place along with my mom, and brother. It should be a lot more fun there.

Then on christmas morning we open presents have everyonE (maternal grandparents, brother and his family and my mom and step dad) over for breakfast caserole, then everyone goes home for a while and then everyone comes back over around 4-5 to eat lasagna, garlic bread, and salad and just enjoy the company of family!!! Oh and to top it off on christmas day morning my brother is going to propose to his girlfriend!!!! In front of all of us!!! Cant wait to see her reaction!!!!

We go to church at 4 p.m. Then my sister, brother and our families go to mom and dads. We have sandwiches. We read the Christmas story from the bible, then one of the kids puts baby Jesus in the manger. Then we sing Happy Birthday to Jesus and have cake or cupcakes. Then we read Twas the Night Before Christmas and we open gifts from each other and our parents. We track Santa on Norad and then go home and get kids ready for bed.

Whats Norad?

We goto Christmas Eve Mass and then all get together at Dh's Mom and Dad's house to eat and open presents. It's a fun time watching all of the kids. There are 7 of them with Eric the oldest being 10. The rest are all under 5 years old. After they open the gifts they all play in the wrapping paper.

I have to work until 12:30pm this year. I have not worked Christmas Eve in years, though I'm grateful because I'm still out so early.

Anyhow, we go to my aunt/uncles house from my father's side. We've been doing this since I can remember. It's funny that we still do this because the tradition has been going for at least 28 (ish) years.

There is no formal dinner, as the gathering starts around 7pm. There are usually about 45-50 of us. My immediate family on my dad's side has 54 people (he has a lot of brothers and sisters and they all live in the same community still except one). Everyone under 18 yrs old, does a gift exchange. We eat snack foods and just visit. This year my grandfather moved to North Carolina to live w/ my aunt (the one relative who does not live here still). So we are going to use a webcam to chat w/ them from the gathering.

We usually get home around 11pm. My son goes right to bed, and we go after he's asleep and we help santa out.

we ususally do my side of the family Christmas but some yrs we cant because of my mom having to work so that tradition is gone..we still have it but not that day hardly anymore.....so I have started for the last 3 yrs reading TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS to my girls....we lay on floor right before bed and relax and read it....it is very calming....and they are allowed to have their stockings on Christmas Eve.

Always read The Night Before Christmas and then open one gift before bed.

Food is whatever you want...we just decide then eat it :tongue1:

Hopefully this year the boys wake up before noon :eek: Sadly I am the one up early and

waiting.

We do not open the stockings until right before bed on Christmas night...it gives them something to look forward to and the day is not over so early

HMMMmmmmm.

I usually work 23rd-24th overnight. Get home and sleep a bit. Get up and watch a christmas movie with the kids, order pizza for dinner. We usually get the kids tubbed and jammied right after. Then we sit the kids around the tree and I read Night Before Christmas to them. They exchange their presents for eachother, play for a bit. The oldest two put out milk cookies and reindeer feed on the outside grass and then it's bedtime.

First we attend the Children's Mass at 4:30 on Christmas Eve. Return home to have Christmas Dinner, then do our family gifts. The children love to purchase a gift for everyone so I take them to a Dollar Store where they can pick out one or two items for each person. Over the years there have been some pretty comical gifts and some useful ones too. By the time all is said done everyone has opened 6 gifts and I have 5 happy children that love to give their gifts. The joy on their faces when its their turn to pass out their gifts is priceless! The kids get a nice gift from mom & dad too. We wake up to open a few gifts from Santa Claus, then play all day.

We go to my aunts at 5pm long enough to drop off presents leave there by 5:30 head to my MIL have dinner and open presents then head home to meet up with my parents and sister to open presents... Hurry get the kids bathed and in the bed.. So its busy and this year the inlaws are coming out here after our dinner to spend the night to watch the kids open thier presents..So ill be ready to run away by the end of it all...

I usually bake some last minute cookies with my daughters. My dh gets home from work around 6 pm, so we have dinner then. We exchange family gifts to each other. I alway get the girls new jammies too! They have to match and I get pics in front of the fireplace. We watch Christmas shows and then leave Santa cookies and the reindeer some carrots. I alway bite the end of the carrots, and leave the ends on the floor by the gifts. I know, it sounds crazy....but they love it. BTW...my dd's are 16 & 12.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

I usually bake some last minute cookies with my daughters. My dh gets home from work around 6 pm, so we have dinner then. We exchange family gifts to each other. I alway get the girls new jammies too! They have to match and I get pics in front of the fireplace. We watch Christmas shows and then leave Santa cookies and the reindeer some carrots. I alway bite the end of the carrots, and leave the ends on the floor by the gifts. I know, it sounds crazy....but they love it. BTW...my dd's are 16 & 12.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

This reminds me of a few years ago..took a few bites out of a santa cookie and left the rest...Zoe wakes up runs to the plate..looks at the half eaten cookie and pops the rest in her mouth!! I told her that that was yucky eating after people that she didn't even know like that!!! She said "It's just Santa". I would have never done that as a kid..never would eat or drink after anyone..I am funny like that even now!:yuck: