Gift idea for 80 year old great grandmother

jennisis29

My great grandmother is the last person on my list to buy for...I was hoping to get some suggestions about what to give her. She seems to have everything, I used to buy her gift cards until I found out she never uses them and they just go to waste...thanks for any help!:)

That's a tough one, my grandmothers would put everything nice they got away for "someday". We cleaned out a ton of stuff that still had partial tags on them. ONe grandmother loved the thin mint chocolates and chocolate covered cherries so I always gave her a box of each-- they would last her until Easter!

What about a day with you( if you live close by) could fix her, her fav meal, go through old photos, and old stories together. Or You could pay to get yalls photo made together( or all the great grands and her or something). Maybe put together a photo book with your fav pics of her/family from growing up. Or a gift basket, with some fav fruit, fav drinks, and candy. Maybe a nice throw for the winter, and warm slippers.

.. man , i sure wish my great grandmaw/grandpaw was still here.......

Hope you find her the perfect gift.

My grandmothers are 86 & 90. One usually gets DVDs, sweaters, candy, earrings...just your basic gifts from us. The other is one of those who 'has everything' so my mom usually gets her a gift certificate for a restaurant or hotel. I often give her books, frames, etc. The one idea I had that I thought was great (and my mom said we'll do this for her birthday) was to donate money to a charity in her name.

my grandmother is 92 and she is really hard to shop for. The past few years we have made a huge gift basket from all of us with her everyday things, like lotion, soap, laundry detergent, dish washing soaps, cleaning supplies, candies she likes...etc. She has loved it!

If she still takes care of herself, single serving meals that are easy to prepare. My grandmother's both lived at home into their 90s and started to eat pretty poorly because they didn't want to cook a meal for themselves. Like some Lean Cuisines, or other lunch style single serving meals at the grocery store. You could make them yourself too, just put into single serving size containers.

My one grandma LOVED pedicures. LOVED them. So we'd get her a gift certificate for a pedicure and take her (she couldn't drive anymore) If she can still see well, perhaps a subscription to a magazine (my one LOVED tabloids and People)

If she lives by herself maybe you could gift her meals delivered from a service. My boss is single and has a box delivered every other week. She said it is the only way she eats healthy. The place delivers a week's worth of meals packed in dry ice and to prepare them you just boil the pkg or microwave them.

Or another thought is one of the heated throws to cover and watch tv or read. These would be nice especially if she keeps her heat low to save on utility bills.

My last thought is to do what I did for my Mom a couple years ago, pay money toward her utility bills. I called them for the account number and mailed in a lump sum. For Christmas I wrapped up a pretty card saying that an amount had been paid toward the bills. When her bill arrived she had a credit until the lump sum ran out. This was great because it gave her a little extra money each month.

When My Grandmother was alive I always got here a new gown or pjs. New pictures of the kids in nice frames. (The digital loaded frames mentioned by boblin119 are a great idea). I would do gift baskets of her favorite perfume, powder, bath wash,cream,etc) Just enjoy her! I so miss mine!!

My Grandmother always asked for things she really used ( being on a fixed income)

so we would each do a theme with her brands:

laundry basket with soap,dryer sheets,starch

bathroom toilet paper,bath soaps,shampoo,cleaners,handi wipes

light bulbs,trash bags,paper towels,cleaners

medicine cabinet,aspirin,mucinex,cotton swabs etc.

this gave us all gift ideas to buy her and we knew she would use them

PJ's, non slip socks, soft pepermint, photo book, a memory book for her to write in or a recipe book that she can hand write receipes in to pass down.

My Great Grandmother is 99. We get her PJ's and the soft pepermint.

Edited by Kandy

My mother is 80. It isn't that old!

She still works full time at a county office-- and her christmas list is always huge, LOL.

Last yr was a roomba (she never took it out of the box) and this year a tv.

I always do a bag of stuff-- she hates to food shop and lug the bags-- toilet paper, potato chips, instant coffee ($9 a jar!) and other stuff of that type.

my grandmother is 92 and she is really hard to shop for. The past few years we have made a huge gift basket from all of us with her everyday things, like lotion, soap, laundry detergent, dish washing soaps, cleaning supplies, candies she likes...etc. She has loved it!

I like this idea and granny would probably have approved (she was raised on a farm, real no-nonsense kind of person and hard as heck to buy for). At 16 though chocolates fit my budget better. The one thing I ever gave her that she loved and displayed was a piggy bank in her china pattern (her china was her pride and joy). That pig sat year round on her sideboard. I think my older brother has it now (he got her china).