Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

scarface

true it was walmarts fault for not taking adequate protection for its workers and customers. it is not like walmart was a nobody store that did not know better. The "rolled"back at the cost of security and that is unacceptable

I thinkt his could of happened at any store. I didn't see security at any of them that could of handled this kind of crowd. I am not blaming walmart on this one it was the customers. I think it is sad that a store would have to hire security to guarantee safety instead of discounting items.

I thinkt his could of happened at any store. I didn't see security at any of them that could of handled this kind of crowd. I am not blaming walmart on this one it was the customers. I think it is sad that a store would have to hire security to guarantee safety instead of discounting items.

I agree...

This could NOT have happened at just any store. It DOES happen at walmart every year (to one extent or another). Walmart knows what happens each year... and they encourage it. While I believe that people need to be held accountable for their actions and their choices, walmart bears a portion of that responsibility for knowingly establishing an environment that is conducive to that type of behavior.

I know that Walmart is a "dash-n-grab" Black Friday event and that is why I avoid them. But there are many, even here at this forum, who actually enjoy the mad rush, the running through the store, the elbowing out the "competition" to grab that desired item.

This is so sad :(. Ultimately it is the crowd who is responsible for this mans death, but since this seems to happen at Walmart every year, you would think they would have some kind of security measures in place. Couldn't they only let so many people in at a time, to avoid the whole mad rush?

i don't get how not one shopper stopped...i'd easily stop to help a guy up that fell if I saw him laying there

To all those who trampled this poor guy and those who did nothing to help him I hope there is a special place in H@@l for them. I'm sorry if this sounds rough but there is NO excuse in the world for what happened to this guy.

This is horrible...I wonder if the crowd of people actually realize that they Killed a poor innocent Man, rather than just looking past it. It was all of the crowds fault...not walmart's. The stupidity of the people caused this... IMHO. I have always thought it was so stupid how people would rush the stores like that to save a little money... now someone has died because of it... just sad.

That is absolutely awful. Our Walmart had police patrolling the line, stationed at the doors and stationed throughout the store.

I can't really blame everyone in the line though. Once a surge started people probably got stuck in it because if they didn't move they would have been trampled as well.

from what I read on AOL they pushed the doors off their hinges and the door frame bent like an accordian. WTH where these people thinking...the store had not even opened yet..they just kept pushing on the doors and finally managed to break them down and rush into the store. Some humans just suck. I guess they will be watching the security video to see who the guilty are. I hope they are charged criminally. The article said people just trampled over others and didn't even stop.

That is just insane, I can't even imagine what this poor guys family is going through. It seems every year that something horrible happens at a Walmart, when are they going to realize that their system just doesn't work for BF.

Those jerks were outside and were the reason an innocent person was killed. I think each and every person should be criminally charged if they can be seen on the security camera trampling that poor man. I think it's this time of year that brings out the best and the absolute worst in people. It sickens me to see what some people will go through just to get a deal. A lot of selfish people were in that store today and should definately have some stiff consequences to their actions!

This could NOT have happened at just any store. It DOES happen at walmart every year (to one extent or another). Walmart knows what happens each year... and they encourage it. While I believe that people need to be held accountable for their actions and their choices, walmart bears a portion of that responsibility for knowingly establishing an environment that is conducive to that type of behavior.

I know that Walmart is a "dash-n-grab" Black Friday event and that is why I avoid them. But there are many, even here at this forum, who actually enjoy the mad rush, the running through the store, the elbowing out the "competition" to grab that desired item.

How could it not have happend at any store. Not sure I understand. I guess I just don;t agree. To me this was the people who broke the door down to get in fault not Wal marts. Sorry Just my opinion. Wal Mart was doing a sale just like all the other stores. People chose to be rude and act crazy.

That is just insane, I can't even imagine what this poor guys family is going through. It seems every year that something horrible happens at a Walmart, when are they going to realize that their system just doesn't work for BF.

Oh, they know. They know it WORKS for what they intend. They want the crowds. They want the mad dash of people running through the store. They want the pushing and shoving, elbowing and crowding. Employees stand by photograph and video-record the event.

They don't want people to die or get seriously hurt, but they certainly don't mind people getting jostled and the occasional person getting knocked down.

sracer - It can happen at ANY store. Why couldn't it?

Last year, I had a Toys R Us *EMPLOYEE* grab my pregnant belly to push me back out of electronics. I mean, of all people.. so yes, it can happen anywhere, for any reason and at anytime on BF.

How could it not have happend at any store. Not sure I understand. I guess I just don;t agree. To me this was the people who broke the door down to get in fault not Wal marts. Sorry Just my opinion. Wal Mart was doing a sale just like all the other stores. People chose to be rude and act crazy.

Walmart is a bigger store than most, and draws a bigger crowd than most. They KNOW there will be hundreds upon hundreds of people standing outside their doors on Black Friday. To not have developed a method of controlling that crowd by now is not just stupid, it's criminal.

All it takes is a couple of people to start pushing from the back, then those getting pushed forward push those in front of them, and those people push those in front of them, until people can't NOT push, because they are being crushed themselves. The people who started it are just plain rude, but I still blame Walmart for not having adequate crowd control.

I hope the family of the man who died presses charges, and I hope Walmart loses.

why do they even allow people near the doors, it seems to me they could set-up barracaded lines like you see at amusement parks or movie theaters, you line up behind the lines and they could release people 10-20 at a time to enter the store. Ours has two main entances and they could coordinate the lines into the middle between the doors and than have security move the line in an orderly. I think when a store knows that its going to be a free for all, they should be responsible for crowd control. Large events know how to handle it, why can't stores implement the same policy. We don't get the masses like bigger areas but in talking with people this morning (late morning) they said it was quite busy.

Now I'm wondering whether this will be the next state to have one of those laws saying that you can't sell stuff at below cost. I agree that Walmart eggs this on somewhat, and they have to love the usual publicity (not this, of course) about the rush and the craziness. However, the people who trampled this guy need to be prosecuted somehow. I don't know if there'll be enough detail on the tapes to ID everyone, but even if they can't be gotten with manslaughter, at the very least there should be a disorderly conduct charge or something.

I think they should post pictures (still pictures from the video tape, if there is one) of the savages that trampled this man. Post pictures on a website and have people cal or email to help identify them so they can at least be questioned.

Someone needs to be held accountable for this mans passing.

Reason #26 I refuse to shop at Walmart.

Well, I shall wait till all the facts are out before making a opinion. Since the story has changed from miscarriage to not a miscarriage. Though I do agree Walmart should have better rules in place. They saw the size of the crowd and it is stupid to have one person in the line of fire.

You dismissed the situation at walmart as if it was equally possible at any other store. It is absolutely NOT equally possible at any other store. Violence at walmart stores on Black Friday are part of the Black Friday "tradition". Do you think that it is coincidence that these situations happen more frequently at walmart than at other stores?

Every Best Buy that I've gone to on Black Friday is orderly but busy. That is because they have a voucher system for high-demand low-quantity items. They organize consumers into orderly lines. Walmart does none of those things. Walmart ENCOURAGES dash-n-grab. There are people who go to walmart specifically BECAUSE it is a dash-n-grab. Target has a modified dash-n-grab that is somewhere between an orderly voucher system and dash-n-grab free-for-all. I've NEVER experienced any mayhem at a Target or Best Buy on Black Friday. EVERY walmart that I've visited on Black Friday was chaotic.

Disagree if you wish. But Walmart does NOT do a sale just like all the other stores.

My only stops were Home Depot and Kohls, in line at HD at 510am. After reading this thread I feel HORRIBLE because I ran into my neighbor across the street at Kohl's who is 8 months pregnant! She was saying she saw me leaving the house and that she wished we had made plans to shop together (she and I both by ouselves.) The line at Kohl's was really long and I asked her if she was finished "just stay here in line with me" and offered to hold her things, but she had some more items to get. :no: Now I wish I would have stepped out of line and helped her. :(

And, I agree no sale is worth anyone's life! HELLO, it's supposed to be fun. Completely ridiculous! Very sad indeed.

May God hold him in the palm of His hand.