Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

scarface

Just heard about this....this is unreal. Why is it walmart is the only store you hear about the bad stories at. :no:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/11/28/2008-11-28_worker_dies_at_long_island_walmart_after.html

A worker died after being trampled and a woman miscarried when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island Wal-Mart Friday morning, witnesses said.

The unidentified worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," said Jimmy Overby, 43, a co-worker. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too...I literally had to fight people off my back."

Nassau County Police are still investigating and would not confirm the witness accounts. The Medical Examiner will determine the cause of death. Police did say there were several injuries but weren't more specific.

Jessica Keyes was among the shoppers. She told the Daily News she saw a woman knocked down just a few feet from the dying worker.

"When the paramedics came, she said 'I'm pregnant,'" Keyes said.

Paramedics treated the woman inside the store and then, according to Keys, told the woman:

"There's nothing we can do. The baby is gone."

Before police shut down the store, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the store clerk's life.

"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead, said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."

Only a few stopped.

"They're savages," said shopper Kimberly Cribbs, 27. "It's sad. It's terrible."

WHAT? They dx'd the miscarriage at the store? Even if she were far enough along to hear a heartbeat, paramedics don't dx miscarriages - you go to to the hospital and get an ultrasound. Babies are SOOOOOO incredibly well protected in the womb, it'd take some severe trampling on her abdomen to cause it to die... that is just weird to me.. I don't doubt that in a rare case it could happen but being told at the scene that her baby died? Nope. Don't buy it. Even if she were severely bleeding, they wouldn't tell her that.

I am sorry about the worker. That is terrible. :(

Well, Walmart probably has exponentially more opportunities for mishap given the number of stores and the popularity of their sales. Walmart has stores in tough neighborhoods too. And it sounds like common sense is in short supply with Walmart shoppers. What pregnant woman goes out for BF? I cringe when I see little kids in line.

So, this is tragic, but not really surprising. I'm guessing the woman will sue Walmart for her own stupidity...

WHAT? They dx'd the miscarriage at the store? Even if she were far enough along to hear a heartbeat, paramedics don't dx miscarriages - you go to to the hospital and get an ultrasound. Babies are SOOOOOO incredibly well protected in the womb, it'd take some severe trampling on her abdomen to cause it to die... that is just weird to me.. I don't doubt that in a rare case it could happen but being told at the scene that her baby died? Nope. Don't buy it. Even if she were severely bleeding, they wouldn't tell her that.

I thought the same thing, sounds fishy to me. It is sad about the Wmart worker, though. I was at Walmart this morning, and I feel that they are TERRIBLY unorganized with BF. I know that shoppers can get crazy, but I do feel if there was a bit more organization with BF at these stores, that some tragedies can be prevented.

Just heard about this....this is unreal. Why is it walmart is the only store you hear about the bad stories at.

Not to be tacky b/c all sorts of people go there...but I have found that the majority of Wal-Mart customers are an entirely different breed. ANd on this one particular day of the year when you can get a $4 pair of Hannah Montana pajamas, the animal comes out in these folks.

Here's another link to a story about this. They don't mention a miscarriage (the NY Daily News is a rag, but most of the story is true).

http://blogs.wsj.com/holidaysales/2008/11/28/man-killed-in-wal-mart-stampede/

Walmart is responsible for making sure their stores are safe. When the crowd got bigger than they could handle with their own staff, they should have called in the police immediately - BEFORE someone got killed.

Here's another link to a story about this. They don't mention a miscarriage (the NY Daily News is a rag, but most of the story is true).

http://blogs.wsj.com/holidaysales/2008/11/28/man-killed-in-wal-mart-stampede/

Walmart is responsible for making sure their stores are safe. When the crowd got bigger than they could handle with their own staff, they should have called in the police immediately - BEFORE someone got killed.

True, if they couldn't have handled the crowd they should have gotten some extra security.

But imo, it truly is the crowds fault! To disregard another human's life, is purely insane.

And just another reason why I refuse to step foot into a Walmart....ESPECIALLY on Black Friday! People are just nuts and it just appears that the Walmart shoppers are the worst!

I know not everyone is like that, however Walmart always appears to be named in these types of cases.

Exactly. Here in Louisville, they had the LMPD (Louisville Metro Police Dept.) on scene throughout the store. I don't think I've ever heard of any problems happening, but they are there (With tazers *Don't taze me bro.!*) So I agree... there is no excuse for what happened. That is ridiculous and it shouldn't have happened. It is VERY VERY sad it has come to this in terms for a good deal.:no:

I feel horrible about this..... and I am now thinking back to this AM where no stampeding took place and thinking if I really want to be a part of this anymore. It some how seems like I am feeding the frenzy by going even in my own small suburb. FYI the mom is ok as well as the baby..... they are in the hospital for observation, but this goes back to the thread about pregnant mom's going out on BF, not really a great idea, nothing is worth that much risk.:no:

i don't get how not one shopper stopped...i'd easily stop to help a guy up that fell if I saw him laying there

Giving some in the crowd the benefit of the doubt, it could be that they were afraid to be trampled too. However, it seems like everyone went about their merry way while this tragedy was happening. They ought to have shut the store down and not let anyone buy squat. And frankly, I think the whole bunch should be spending BF in jail.

I feel horrible about this..... and I am now thinking back to this AM where no stampeding took place and thinking if I really want to be a part of this anymore. It some how seems like I am feeding the frenzy by going even in my own small suburb. FYI the mom is ok as well as the baby..... they are in the hospital for observation, but this goes back to the thread about pregnant mom's going out on BF, not really a great idea, nothing is worth that much risk.:no:

Well, I had a pregnant friend with me this morning at WM and everything was fine- we were even at the front of the line. I think the key is recognizing when things are going downhill and the stores should take action. People with special circumstances shouldn't have to miss out b/c of psychos ( Not saying you think that :)). And I still think this could have been avoided by some sort of ticket policy.

That store should be charged for not having enough security to make sure this would not happen! Walmarts are horrible and unlike any other black store we have been too. They truly should not run the ads if they can't handle the crowd control and well people that rather tackle and kill a man for something inside a store should have his blood on their hands! We are never there when they open an more. Our target was awesome this year, had plenty of security and one of the best I have seen. Also Macy's was great there was only one other car on the floor we went into.

Giving some in the crowd the benefit of the doubt, it could be that they were afraid to be trampled too. However, it seems like everyone went about their merry way while this tragedy was happening. They ought to have shut the store down and not let anyone buy squat. And frankly, I think the whole bunch should be spending BF in jail.

I don't think anyone was able to buy anything after the incident. We were planning on heading to that walmart but plans change.

That store should be charged for not having enough security to make sure this would not happen! Walmarts are horrible and unlike any other black store we have been too. They truly should not run the ads if they can't handle the crowd control and well people that rather tackle and kill a man for something inside a store should have his blood on their hands! We are never there when they open an more. Our target was awesome this year, had plenty of security and one of the best I have seen. Also Macy's was great there was only one other car on the floor we went into.

true it was walmarts fault for not taking adequate protection for its workers and customers. it is not like walmart was a nobody store that did not know better. The "rolled"back at the cost of security and that is unacceptable