Holiday Angels

childofsolitude

So my older sister is a social worker and when she came home from work tonight, I saw a stack of papers on the table with pictures of angels on them. I asked my sister what they were for and she told me that her agency has started to work on the holiday angels program where the social workers place little cards on Christmas trees with descriptions of a child and their wishlist and the public can pick a child and buy gifts for them.

I remember there was a thread last year dedicated to this program so I figured I'd start one for this holiday season. Is anyone else participating?

Please thank your Sister for the work she does. :yup:

We always do Angel Tree/Giving Trees. They are my favorite! This year we started the planning early and purchased toys at Target when they were 75% off. So far we will be giving gifts to 7 or 8 children. I'm sure I will find more gifts to give, I wouldn't be surprised if we give gifts to 10 children.

We choose Angels from the Angel Tree at DH's office. Last year they were children from a teenage mothers home. And we had three children that we gave gifts to. Clothes and toys, we chose the names then bought the gifts. This year we found soo many great gifts to give and realized if we purchased them when we did we would be able to give gifts to more children. So we will match ages with gifts when the Angel tree comes out.

I did the Angel tree last year. I picked a boy that would have been my first child's age that passed away. The Angel tree helped heal me a little from his death. I plan on doing the Angel tree again this year for a 4 year boy. Maybe it will help me heal a little more this year too.

I do it as well and have started the kids on it. They enjoy picking things out though when it comes time to put them in the collection bin they have a hard time giving them up ;) They're a year older now, though, so they will better understand this year.

Their absolute favorite thing, however, is begging me for coins to put in the kettles! :)

We always pick a little girl 1 size smaller than my little girl. Usually about the same age since she is so tall. We pick up toys and clothes all year long from the clearance sales. We also put in anything that my daughter still has tags on at the end of the season (new stuff she never got around to wearing) usually have a ton and don't spend a lot of money. Zoe usually picks a name that she thinks is pretty and we drop the stuff off the same day!

What a wonderful thing your sister does.

My family adopts another family every year. We should know the family we adopt by mid November. I always buy throughout the year though as I try to ask for a family with girls (boys too, but what I buy throughout the year is clearance stuff like makeup sets, perfume, hair accessories etc).

I have a stock pile of cologned that I got from Target now and Axe body sets. Also have TONS of razor gift sets for both girl/boy teens.

My kids always get involved in this and its a great way to teach them about life.

Every third Saturday (when I can go) my aunt runs the food bank and we volunteer there too. My son helps load vehicles and my daughter greets the families.

Even after our event was closed last year...a few days before Christmas there were still high school aged boys left one the tree that no one had picked yet. I cried when I saw it, and my Dh told me to grab another one. I scramble for a few days. and was worried I would never get the stuff I ordered here in time. I ordered a parka from Old Navy and told them why I needed it fast, THEY GOT IT HERE!! I used Endless.com for shoes for overnight shipping, just a lot of resources I have picked up over the years from all of you here. All the Amazon toys from the great sale last year will go out to sub for Santa this year. Our list so far for kids is already doubled in our community, and the applications haven't even all come in yet. So for me"THANK YOU" everyone for such great deals that I can pick up all year to pass along!

my kids are older and dont believe anymore so last year they were misbehaving so i made them go with me to the salvation army giving tree see how many names where on it and told them how many kids wouldnt be having a nice x-mas but we weould be then we decided to pull a name off the tree for each kid and go and shop for them. each kid had to pick someone their own age and gender and shop..after this they felt better about seeing all the kids and actually started behaving better. I will do this again with them. sometimes children can get alittle selfish and this is a good way to show them true human compassion

It's our Christmas tradition. My ds always adopts a boy and girl from the tree, typically ones around his age, and we take a whole day to shop just for them. We have "angels" here at work too, children of our clients that have been affected by HIV, I always adopt one, but I'm thinking I will probably adopt 2 this year. We also do the Toys for Tots drive too. It breaks my heart to think of all the children that wouldn't have Christmas.

Thank your sister for all she does!

I post every year that I dont do Angel trees for kids since those are usually the ones always picked first and always taken care of. I donate and prefer to take care of the elderly who have no family or family that doesn't want anything to do with them, or even the ones that can barely afford their medications or food so they never get anything for themselves, or I donate to the animal shelters.

I don't know of anyone out here that does the Angel Trees/Holiday Angels.

Right now I'm building a box for the Phoenix Food Bank where you fill it with everything you'd need for a Thanksgiving meal - except for the turkey and anything that can spoil.

For example, mine has instant potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, cranberry jelly, boxed stuffing, pie crust mixes, canned pie stuffing, etc etc. I also included a nice table cloth, napkins, placemats, some nice (plastic) plates, plastic cups & goblets, and made a centerpiece (made a wooden turkey drilled some holes in it, and in each hole you put a lollipop stem to make the feathers). Also included a few recipes for holiday leftovers. This part is optional (as is the dishes & table stuff), but I got a $15 gift card to a grocery store that gets affixed to the top of the box to be used to purchase a turkey.

Sheriff Joe and his team/posse also collects toys for children at Christmas and every year I donate to that when I can afford it.

This year things are very tight for us though. I've been collecting things for my thanksgiving box over the past few months which is a good thing, if I had waited til the last minute I would not have had the funds to do that either.

We do usually do the Angel tree's however this year we are adoption four children and they will become our forever children so we wont beable to do the Angel tree.

how do you go about adopting a family for the holidays and always buying for them. I think this would be great to do

how do you go about adopting a family for the holidays and always buying for them. I think this would be great to do

We are adopting 4 children from the foster care system. litterly not just for the Holidays we will be their mommy and daddy forever. usually we just "christmas adopt" off the angel tree but since we are in the adoption process we won't be getting anything off the angel trees this year.

We are adopting 4 children from the foster care system. litterly not just for the Holidays we will be their mommy and daddy forever. usually we just "christmas adopt" off the angel tree but since we are in the adoption process we won't be getting anything off the angel trees this year.

4? wow. are they siblings?

Oh I cant wait to do this again this year. I've been doing it for the past few years.

we couldnt afford to do it before, but now that we can, i feel we should help others.

I usually look for a little girl, cuz I have 3 boys. But I might pick a boy and a girl this year?

The Angel Tree is part of our BF tradition! Me my mom and sister always grab an angel on BF and add that to our BF shopping. I love doing it I wish I was able to do more but money is tight and I have 4 of my own!

Reading everyones posts you are all wonderful people! My children have had to be on the angel tree before and we have had to get the food boxes. Its people like you who have made it so we can still have a wonderful Holiday! THANK YOU!!!

I love to do this!! Our Walmart has a tree and last year we bought for 2 little girls. I got them each adorable Cabage Patch kids that were regularly $40 each for $12. I am going to try to buy more bargains when I see them so we can pick more kids this year. My kids loved doing it too.

You guys are all wonderful. We usually shop for two children from one of our local foster care agencies but sadly due to the economy and my ever mounting medical bills I will not be able to do that this year. We are however going to give toys to toys for tot and and the foster care toy bank . Thanx to Targets 75% toy sale I have a stash of stuff to donate.

Thank you all for all you do.

we have an agency here that gets kids names and they get things for xmas thru donations, otherwise they wouldnt get anything. last year we had a girl named Jazlyn and she was 5. It was fun buying for her since my DD is Jocelyn and she is also 5. she wanted things like mittens, boots, a backpack. she lives with her great grandma and grandpa and we got things for them also.

All of you are really great.. This will be my first year adopting from the angel tree. I am going to adopt at least 1 child . Last year my daughter was put on the angel tree because of everything that went on with me losing my mom, being disabled and then her birthday was coming. We couldn't afford to get her anything for her birthday other than a carseat. She was turning (1) but she got some really nice stuff from the angel tree we really appreciated it. I don't really have alot of money now but I want to give back to the community. I would also like to adopt an elderly person as well.