>>> Official Black Friday 2008 LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Ok I was looking at the laptops Dell has on sale and I mainly want to use it to run Photoshop and surf the web. Are you saying the 3 laptops they have for under $700 aren't really good for that or worth it??

Any of the laptops that dell is selling for BF should run photoshop fine (except the Mini 9). I have a hp laptop right now with 2Gb ram and a 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo, and I can run it. The minimum specs for running photoshop CS4 are 512MB ram, 1Gb recommended. You'll have at least triple the recommended amount of RAM if you buy any of the laptops dell has for sale.

Ok I was looking at the laptops Dell has on sale and I mainly want to use it to run Photoshop and surf the web. Are you saying the 3 laptops they have for under $700 aren't really good for that or worth it??

Honestly I'm not ready to line up outside of Best Buy or Circuit City or any of the stores at 10pm or so the night before and I know usually a lot of those doorbuster deals aren't available online b/c they want to drive in-store traffic.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I suspect that those Dell notebooks will be fine for what you want to do. Virtually all notebooks today are well equipped and capable of doing basic stuff like image manipulation and web surfing. The limiting factor is usually the amount of RAM installed. Max out the RAM 2GB for a 32-bit machine (4GB for a 64-bit, not really maxed out but very sufficient) and you'll be fine as long as the other specs (drive space, card reader, etc.) all suit your needs.

Generally speaking, the only time you have to worry about process type, speed, etc. is if you will be doing high-end gaming.

Back by popular demand: The 2008 Laptop Comparison Charts! Enjoy! :D Sorry for the delay, folks. :o

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/charts/gdcc2008.php

Most of the info is finished and the rest soon to follow. A few things about the laptop charts:

Just mouse over a part of the chart for brief instructions on how to use it. You can sort something to the top, organize the laptops by a specific detail, etc.

Some of the laptops are BF and/or store exclusive (like Walmarts or Best Buys). Detailed info about those will come soon as we get it.

Anyone know any specific details about Sony Vaio laptop that is for $899.99?

I am wondering the same thing, all I saw was that it is 16.4", 4gb ram, 250 gb hdd, blu-ray player. Basically this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9034225&type=product&id=1218010849590 but w/ a blu-ray player and hopefully a faster processor:

if you dont want/need the blu-ray player theres this one at bj's (dont know if there is one by you) for $799: http://shop.bjs.com/Sony-16-4--34--VAIO-Laptop-PC-with-Intel-Core-2-Duo-T5800-Processor--4GB-DDR2--250GB-HDD-Laptops---Desktops_stcVVproductId54783099VVcatId428430VVviewprod.htm on BF

Just saw Andrea's post from Oct...

Anyone considering a laptop for a college student should keep in mind that many colleges/universities now sell laptops (often at a discounted student rate)that have free service and 24 hour repair to their students so you might want to look into that before purchasing. I found this out when I decided to buy my nephew one and his mother filled me in.

:smart:

I think the best two laptops ive seen so far are the two dell inspiron 1525s. No waiting out all night and no mad rush for them, and they are about 30% off what you can buy them now for.

Not a bad savings in my mind, and for education needs (non-video editing/high graphic stuff) I think its just the ticket

I am wondering the same thing, all I saw was that it is 16.4", 4gb ram, 250 gb hdd, blu-ray player. Basically this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9034225&type=product&id=1218010849590 but w/ a blu-ray player and hopefully a faster processor:

if you dont want/need the blu-ray player theres this one at bj's (dont know if there is one by you) for $799: http://shop.bjs.com/Sony-16-4--34--VAIO-Laptop-PC-with-Intel-Core-2-Duo-T5800-Processor--4GB-DDR2--250GB-HDD-Laptops---Desktops_stcVVproductId54783099VVcatId428430VVviewprod.htm on BF

I hope it has HDD with 7200RPM and FullHD (not ECO) screen.

I hope it has HDD with 7200RPM and FullHD (not ECO) screen.

Is the HDD different than the SATA hard drive that the other Sony Vaio has, and whats the difference between the FullHD and the ECO?? Sorry but I haven't looked at laptops in a while so not sure what specs are better than others.

I wish the ads gave all the specs on these since they aren't current items in the store, and I doubt if you take the ad to BB they will give more info on it right?

Iwen BB and got some info from the employees onth Sony VAIO. Its a model right in between the FW-235 and FW-270. Has the 250gb hd of the 235 but the blu-ray of the FW-270, white keys. I kinda got turned off from that one when I saw the VAIO's, was hopingthey had the new style touch-sensitive music keys and what not. Still seems like a good deal, but might now look at the HP 17" one

Is the HDD different than the SATA hard drive that the other Sony Vaio has, and whats the difference between the FullHD and the ECO?? Sorry but I haven't looked at laptops in a while so not sure what specs are better than others.

I wish the ads gave all the specs on these since they aren't current items in the store, and I doubt if you take the ad to BB they will give more info on it right?

If I am correct, then the HDD on this lappy might be 5400RPM (revolutions per minute). Right now, almost all new laptops have 7200RPM. this is faster. But it is SATA.

XBRITE-FullHD™ : 1920 x 1080 resolution (1080p)

XBRITE-ECO™ : 1280 x 800 resolution (~720p)

Also, I hope it has BR burner (not just player)...

Iwen BB and got some info from the employees onth Sony VAIO. Its a model right in between the FW-235 and FW-270. Has the 250gb hd of the 235 but the blu-ray of the FW-270, white keys. I kinda got turned off from that one when I saw the VAIO's, was hopingthey had the new style touch-sensitive music keys and what not. Still seems like a good deal, but might now look at the HP 17" one

Is 250GB 7200RPM? FullHD? Can you please (if possible) try to get those two answers from a BB employee?

Which HP 17" you are talking about?

Really? 1080P? Which model did you compare to?

All the Sony Vaio laptops they had in this style, they had three, were FullHD 1080p. I asked a sales rep if all the Sony Vaio's they sold with blu-ray were FullHD 1080p and he said he hasn't seen one in months that wasn't. Then I brought up the Black Friday laptop and he said he couldn't imagine it not being 1080p....so i guess we'll see. Hope that helps.

Anyone know any specific details about Sony Vaio laptop that is for $899.99?

I recently bought a Sony VAIO VGN-NR220E for $357. It only has 1GB RAM (at the moment,lol) but I only use it for online. I have an online job and it works great. I did have issues with low wireless signal even with a new expensive router, Sony fixed it over the phone. Then I still had dropped connection and they fixed that via remote screen control thing,lol. Works perfect now! I'd recommend them,lol.

BTW, mine is way thinner than my SIL's laptop and I have a widescreen.....I think the VAIO's are sharp looking,lol.

does anyone have an opinion on the following?

i grabbed the 389 acer in office depot's sun-wed ad. i was also looking at the 349 hp they will have on friday. do you recommend one over the other? is it worth a wait (wont be too long at my local store). i'l just use for microsoft office and surfing mostly.

If I am correct, then the HDD on this lappy might be 5400RPM (revolutions per minute). Right now, almost all new laptops have 7200RPM. this is faster. But it is SATA.

XBRITE-FullHD™ : 1920 x 1080 resolution (1080p)

XBRITE-ECO™ : 1280 x 800 resolution (~720p)

Also, I hope it has BR burner (not just player)...

the bb guy told me that it wont be able to burn blu-rays, only read :(

Is 250GB 7200RPM? FullHD? Can you please (if possible) try to get those two answers from a BB employee?

Which HP 17" you are talking about?

I was looking at the dv7-1132 (http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?PID=1418914&jspStoreDir=Staples&fromUrl=home&catalogId=10051&productId=246638&cmArea=SEARCH&langId=-1&AID=10427430&storeId=10001&cmSearchKeyword=HP+Pavilion+dv7-1132nr+Entertainment+Notebook+PC)

not too sure of the reputation HP carries, my parents have one just a few years old and its a pos. Was also considering splurging and extra 100 to get the Dell 17" one, but then again if I'm spending 800, may as wel spend another 100 to get the sony w/ the blu-ray, even if im not a fan of the non-touch sensitive buttons... haha i'm picky i know but hell i'm greek its in my blood to look for the best deal possible

All the Sony Vaio laptops they had in this style, they had three, were FullHD 1080p. I asked a sales rep if all the Sony Vaio's they sold with blu-ray were FullHD 1080p and he said he hasn't seen one in months that wasn't. Then I brought up the Black Friday laptop and he said he couldn't imagine it not being 1080p....so i guess we'll see. Hope that helps.

BB said the BF Sony will be 1080p, like I said above, basically a model in between the 235 and 270