Selling tickets for Black Friday items while in line

josetann

- and its illegal in Ohio!

Actually, Ohio has no state-wide law against ticket scalping, Ohio law authorizes municipalities to regulate (Ohio Rev. Code § 715. 48).

That said, I see the pros & cons of it. I think the retailers seriously need to come up with a better thought out plan for BF crowds. It's not like they're being surprised by the amount of people out for the deals like they were say, 5 years ago.

Why isn't it ok for someone to sell their tickets, especially if they've camped out in the cold and giving up their Thanksgiving? They are willing to put in the time to make a few dollars. Everyone has the opportunity to be first in line if they're willing to pay the price (your Thanksgiving).

A few years ago I camped out for a night at Sams Club to get a PS3 when they went on sale the following morning. Once I got it I turned around and sold it on ebay for a significant profit, but the guy in Mahattan thanked me up and down because he said I provided him with a valuable service. He had the $ and I had the time. I know people hate that because I somehow denied their child a Christmas, but with the cash I made I was able to not only buy my kids a few things, but I was able to put some $ in their college fund as well.

So bottom line, make sure you get in front of me this year! :D

Isn't this what our economy is based on? People work devoting their time and then get paid for that time? Someone spent their holiday in line. They campedo ut and froze to be in the front then got paid by the people not willing to devote as much time. I don't see anything unfair about that. I only see people POed because they didn't get there as early. I sold tickets at BB last year. I was first in line with my husband and brother. We bought a TON of stuff and funded part of that stuff by selling tickets in the back of the line. We will most likely do it again this year. I used to sell on ebay but after the mess that was created the last few years by fake buyers and ebay not protecting the sellers I'm sticking to selling tickets in line for a little cash. That said I think $50 is extreme. I sell tickets for $5-$20 depending on how hot the item is. If you want the cheap laptop but didn't get there in time would you find it worth $20 more to get it? Many do.

If I want something I will be in line, But I refuse to sell, buy and sell for me to make a profit. I have helped people get the items they needed at no charge to them. I am where I need to be at the time I need to be. BB has never been one of those places. I have missed out once not getting what I wanted and it wasnt because I wasnt there early enough. It was because I went from 3rd in line to about 50th when the doors opened. After that I vowed that would never happen again.

Well said. If you absolutely need something, get there earlier than everyone else. Otherwise, those in front should be free to do what they want with their tickets. They earned them.

Why isn't it ok for someone to sell their tickets, especially if they've camped out in the cold and giving up their Thanksgiving? They are willing to put in the time to make a few dollars. Everyone has the opportunity to be first in line if they're willing to pay the price (your Thanksgiving).

A few years ago I camped out for a night at Sams Club to get a PS3 when they went on sale the following morning. Once I got it I turned around and sold it on ebay for a significant profit, but the guy in Mahattan thanked me up and down because he said I provided him with a valuable service. He had the $ and I had the time. I know people hate that because I somehow denied their child a Christmas, but with the cash I made I was able to not only buy my kids a few things, but I was able to put some $ in their college fund as well.

I agree with this reasoning. People getting there ahead of time (early enough to get tickets) are making an investment in time, for which they are rewarded with tickets. If they choose to sell those tickets, I have no problem with it.

I've done it for several years...and been happy about it. I've been able to offset my purchases. I've rarely not been 1st in line; I was 2nd last year because my bud was with me. Last year we were on the property for just about 24 hours.

As far as how I feel that people behind me didn't get what they need I have two things to offer. If they wanted it that bad, they would have been there before me. And, I can't think of anything Best Buy sells that a persons NEEDS other than maybe bottled water. It's all about WANTS and how much you're willing to pay for your WANT.

I do think I'll post my tickets online this year (if I go) so I can have my deals wrapped up by midnight. I'd like to get some sleep this time.

My son and I go every year, we leave the house by 10:00 am thanksgiving morning and we spend the night in the BB line. I get the tickets I want for myself and he (who is there for not only my safety but for company) get at least one ticket to sell.

I have NO problem with this at all.

Lines jumpers on the other hand need to be arrested!

Everyone for the most part agrees that line jumping is wrong (except for the person that convinces themself that it's OK when they do it), because you waited in line longer than someone behind you so why should they get in the store before you.

What if they paid the person in front of you to get in line in front of you, how would you feel about that? What if that person got the last TV (for example) that you stood in line for 24 hours to get and they only got there an hour before the store opened but got in front of you because they paid someone in front of you $50?

Isn't that the same as selling tickets? Isn't the person in the back of the line that paid for a ticket in fact cutting in line or paying to get ahead of someone else that waited in the line?

Everyone for the most part agrees that line jumping is wrong (except for the person that convinces themself that it's OK when they do it), because you waited in line longer than someone behind you so why should they get in the store before you.

What if they paid the person in front of you to get in line in front of you, how would you feel about that? What if that person got the last TV (for example) that you stood in line for 24 hours to get and they only got there an hour before the store opened but got in front of you because they paid someone in front of you $50?

Isn't that the same as selling tickets? Isn't the person in the back of the line that paid for a ticket in fact cutting in line or paying to get ahead of someone else that waited in the line?

Paying someone to cut in line is different than taking their spot. I know people have been paid for their place in line, I don't have any problem with that. If someone was paid to let someone cut, I'd have a problem with that though.

Paying someone to cut in line is different than taking their spot. I know people have been paid for their place in line, I don't have any problem with that. If someone was paid to let someone cut, I'd have a problem with that though.

But to that person they may not see it as cutting in line, to them they are paying to have a spot held for them.

No matter if a person thinks what they do is right there will always be people who think its wrong. So in reality if its ok to sell tickets then it should be ok to hold a place in line for money, if its ok to have someone in your party in line while the rest is not physically in the line the entire time only to have everyone join before store opening or tickets being passed out then its ok to pay someone to hold a place in line, is that any different?

I have always said selling of tickets just shows the stores people will pay more, therefore drives up the BF prices year after year. So if someone thinks its ok to sell tickets dont complain about sale prices not being low enough.

No matter if a person thinks what they do is right there will always be people who think its wrong. So in reality if its ok to sell tickets then it should be ok to hold a place in line for money, if its ok to have someone in your party in line while the rest is not physically in the line the entire time only to have everyone join before store opening or tickets being passed out then its ok to pay someone to hold a place in line, is that any different?

Well, I think that accepting money to let someone cut in front of you is wrong, just as it is to hoard tickets with the intention of selling them. If someone wanted to pay me for my place in line, I would consider it. If I accepted, I'd leave the line (if I had to stay in line for some reason, like if my little sister was there and couldn't be left alone, then I'd take no tickets, hopefully in that situation we could both sell our spot in line and go somewhere else for their BF deals). If someone wanted to buy some tickets I had that'd be fine, but I wouldn't be depending on that. I'd have every intention of buying the products I had tickets for. I don't like how some people will get a ticket for every single ticketed item; I'll go and get a ticket for a desktop or two, a laptop, just a few things that I plan on actually purchasing. If I have no intention of buying a 60" LCD TV, I won't get a ticket for it. That's just me though. I plan on being #1 in line this year, so hopefully I won't have to worry about what the people ahead of me do.

Wait the PS3 example is untrue. I got a PS3 the day before launch (connections) but when I looked at Ebay I noticed the basic laws of supply of demand. There was an oversaturation of PS3's and not enough buyers. Then you had the greedy jabronis who asked for more than the price threshold was for buyers!

I know numerous people stuck with PS3's and ended up selling them at cost before X-mas.

Wait the PS3 example is untrue. I got a PS3 the day before launch (connections) but when I looked at Ebay I noticed the basic laws of supply of demand. There was an oversaturation of PS3's and not enough buyers. Then you had the greedy jabronis who asked for more than the price threshold was for buyers!

I know numerous people stuck with PS3's and ended up selling them at cost before X-mas.

A friend of mine was able to pre-order the PS3 from Gamestop and had a receipt showing he was getting one on release date. He listed it on ebay a few weeks before they actually hit the market and got a ton for it. When I saw how much he made, I did the same thing except I had to camp out to guarantee I'd have one to ship. That's how I made a killing on the PS3. Oh, and I have to thank the media who covered the launch like crazy and created the ridiculous demand for it. Below is part of my paypal transaction to prove it. Of course you need to subtract the cost of the PS3, shipping & ebay fees, but still a pretty good salary for about 14 hours of Sam's Club sleepover.

Amount received:

$2,560.00 USD

Fee:

-$74.54 USD

Total:

$2,485.46 USD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:

Nov. 15, 2006

Time:

13:07:21 PST

Completed

last yr was my first year out at best buy. the only reason i stayed was cause i was so close to the front of the line. when it was time to start giving the tickets, flyers what ever they were. i made it a point. i had two people that wanted to stand on line with me and they did all night long. but there was more of us. so as for ticket time they stood out side the line. when they were done handing out they came back in line. but when they would hand me and tell me what the item was . i made it a point to let them know no thank u.. next person please. people online so tried to fallow my order it was a great time. till near the back the people just coming in and like 200 online were flipping out. but i was like 14 and 15 on line. the people on line in the front were not selling theres. but people in the middle were grabbing and selling which i thought was rude. because if u would have just said no thank you . the person would not have to buy a ticket. jmo. come the holidays im so about helping people out. and that is what i did . got mine and for others. i know everyone wants and its unfair how many they put out. but really if u decide to stay home on thanksgiving and eat with family and hope to get this stuff come midnight when u go to the store. look at the line. chances of getting it are slim. i would drive away. i guess depends on how bad u really want it and what u will do to get it.

But to that person they may not see it as cutting in line, to them they are paying to have a spot held for them.

I have always said selling of tickets just shows the stores people will pay more, therefore drives up the BF prices year after year. So if someone thinks its ok to sell tickets dont complain about sale prices not being low enough.

Here's the difference IMO. Someone gives up their time to get a good place in line. What they do with that place is up to them, as long as the trade off is one-for-one. There is a long stretch between trading places with someone who paid you to stand there and letting a whole bunch of people in front of you. 1-1, not 1 - many. You have a lot of "ifs" in your statement, but there is reasonable and there is unreasonable. I think it is reasonable to say, YES, there is a difference between selling tickets that you earned and trying to hold a place in line for a party of people. I suppose if I tried, I could "if" my way from not holding the door for someone to global nuclear annilation ;)

The stores will always have loss leaders to get folks out and in the stores. They don't offer that many because they are losing money on them. I don't think that the stores will increase the price of these loss leaders because they could have sold more. They can almost always sell more of these.

I really don't have a problem with it, I mean if you really need the item and for the additional 50 bucks it is still a deal. I know that some people pay others to line sit, then they put the stuff up on ebay. If they had some sort of drawing then it would save time for everybody and we could move on to other stores.

if stores wanted to stop ticket selling they would stamp your hand. no stamp, no product.

That's allright. I'll stand in line and make the purchase with my stamped hand. Then,give it to the person who gave me $50 for that cheap laptop. There are ways around silly rules.

That's allright. I'll stand in line and make the purchase with my stamped hand. Then,give it to the person who gave me $50 for that cheap laptop. There are ways around silly rules.

You know, I had to read your post twice, actually three times. lol

Because I was thinking, huh???, you are gonna give someone your stamped hand??? :eyepoppin I was trying to figure out how you would do that. Then I realized you meant you'd buy the laptop, then transpose the purchase. Silly me!

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think it's wrong because if you want to stand in line for 12+ hours, then go for it, but personally I wouldn't do it. The only way was if someone approached me and ASKED to buy one (only if I didn't want it that bad....yeah right), I wouldn't go advertising it though.

I just did some research because I plan on selling some tickets, as I am spending my time(=money?) to get these tickets. In Michigan, there is a law against scalping, but it is designed for sporting events, and prevents reselling tickets for more than their FACE VALUE. As BB tickets have no monetary value, they are exempt from this law, I believe. Correct me if I am wrong.

The way I see it, I am in college, and I could always use some extra money. If a person is willing to camp out for over a day on concrete, miss Thanksgiving dinner, and endure Michigan's subzero nights, I think they have a right to sell the tickets they receive.

It looks like you are in the clear as far as the state law is reading but I would also check your local laws as well. For example the State of Texas as a law like yours on the state level but in Irving, Texas where the Dallas Cowboys play Jerry Jones got the city to pass a stricter law then the state law about 20 years ago.

Also you have to remember that the tickets are property of Best Buy and that BB is private property. So when you sell them if you do becareful and keep a low profile.

I just did some research because I plan on selling some tickets, as I am spending my time(=money?) to get these tickets. In Michigan, there is a law against scalping, but it is designed for sporting events, and prevents reselling tickets for more than their FACE VALUE. As BB tickets have no monetary value, they are exempt from this law, I believe. Correct me if I am wrong.

The way I see it, I am in college, and I could always use some extra money. If a person is willing to camp out for over a day on concrete, miss Thanksgiving dinner, and endure Michigan's subzero nights, I think they have a right to sell the tickets they receive.

It would seem the face value of the ticket is the amount of money that the ticket saves you. Since you can not sell it for that amount (the door buster prices vs. the regular price, which no one will buy it for), how can that be considered scalping? It is no different than going in, buying the item, and then reselling it for an extra $50 to the same person you sell the ticket to for $50, except you don't have to fight the crowd to buy it in the store, they do. I wouldn't worry about scapling charges.

OK, I have a question. How many tickets are you talking about? I mean, do you stand in line for 24 hours, for 1 ticket, and sell it for $50.00? Or do you get 5-10 tickets and sell them for $50.00 ea? If you got 1 ticket, I can see where selling it would be okay but if you got several with the intent of turning around and selling them, aren't you screwing the other shoppers? You've become the doorbuster at that point - right? Or am I looking at this wrong?

I've only shopped BB one year - and I got what I wanted, and the sales people were great. So, do they generally have a limit on the # of tickets you can get? (And I'm talking for 1 specific item)