>>> Official Black Friday 2008 VIDEO GAME Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Ok so this is my first year hitting the electronics hot and heavy for dd. She is dying for a DS, as am I, so I gotta pick up 2 this year. I'm trying to decide if the price will be that much better on BF and just how fast will those things go that morning? Its no biggie if I cant get it that day, I just want to be sure we get at least one for Madison before Christmas. :D

I got one last year on BF there is not a big price drop but there is usually a bundle. If your DD wants a certain color I would probably buy now. If color doesn't matter then getting the game with the DS is nice. I got DS a gold Zelda bundle last year. This year DIL and SIL both want one so I will help find them one.

If your wanting pink( I've been told they are always the hargest to find) I would say buy it now & hang on to your receipt, if you find a better deal later you can always return the other one...

This made me laugh because I bought my mom a DS last year and the only one I could find was a pink one. She's not a pink person but it was the only one I could find, lol. This year DD wants one but she hasn't said she wants a certain color so I'm holding out a while longer.

I was wondering too, but decided to buy now. I bought my daughter a pink one (I had $100 in walmart Giftcards so only got it for $25 plus tax after price matching Targets sale 2 weeks ago)

My son wanted the red one. I bought that around the same time.

Been finding great games on their list from weekly sales (circuit city has had some great sales- games regularly 29.99 for only 9.99 and Target sale of 14.99 last week). So that part of my kids' christmas is done.

UGH I really have to start paying attention to ad/stores more. She wants the Catz game (which I dont think she'll be able to play) and some yoshi game, cooking mama (the first one), animal crossing, and the new Mario Bros game. She does want pink, I dont care what color I get as long as it isnt pink so we know whos is whos.

We have already picked up the yoshi/princess case protector thingy. Just gotta find the big yoshi pen. (my daughter is a huge yoshi addict lol, thats even what she wants to be for halloween! hahaha) I think I'll go ahead and pick it up now and just hold on to the reciept in case there is a better deal come BF time. :)

We snagged two last BF for my younger siblings and we got the DSes at Walmart and at Target we got the bundle (carry case, battery charger/car charger and game) I don't recall if it was a whole lot cheaper but it was a bit less...

I would bet that they will be in most of the ads for this years BF (expecially Target, Walmart and maybe Kmart).

I held out last year for a good deal on Black Friday. I was disappointed. I don't think they marked them down at all. They just had bundles.

Maybe it will be different this year, though.

I did too. We ended up buying a gameboy sp because we had additional items we had to buy at the last minute, but this year I HAVE to get the ds this year. They had a great deal at Toys R Us a few weeks ago where if you bought the Pokemon ds and a game you got $15 off + a couple of Pokemon movies?!? I'm fuzzy on the specifics. It was basically about the same deal they had last year bundled up for the nintendogs/zelda bundle only slightly better with the movies.

I am very sorry to say I missed out on the deal. :(

Toys R US has an ad for today 9/7 selling DS Lite + game + accessory for 25% off. Online it takes 25% off the console if you add in an accessory for $19.99 or more. We went into the store and purchased the silver console reg. price $129.99 (silver) sale $97.49 + game (also rang up 25% off) + accessory (stylus for 25% off also). The 25% came off any game and any accessory, i.e. starter packs, skins and they did not need to be any minimum price. Some skins were $2.98 and some games were $9.98. We however needed a Spore and that also rang up 25% off, and picked up Walle at Best Buy for $19.99.

Hope this helps.

Kat

Toys R US has an ad for today 9/7 selling DS Lite + game + accessory for 25% off. Online it takes 25% off the console if you add in an accessory for $19.99 or more. We went into the store and purchased the silver console reg. price $129.99 (silver) sale $97.49 + game (also rang up 25% off) + accessory (stylus for 25% off also). The 25% came off any game and any accessory, i.e. starter packs, skins and they did not need to be any minimum price. Some skins were $2.98 and some games were $9.98. We however needed a Spore and that also rang up 25% off, and picked up Walle at Best Buy for $19.99.

Hope this helps.

Kat

Thanks!! It does. I was wondering about this.

I picked up the pink DS for DD6 during the TRU sale w/the hannah montana game and case bundle for $137+tax...i'm however wondering if i should try to get the same stuff again during this 25% off deal (would save about $15), or wait till black friday and see what they have deal wise then...anyone know how long you can still return w/receipt at tru?

I'd probably wait.. there are rumors flying around that new ones will be introduced soon. During this time of the year, companies are always coming out with new products in expectation for the holiday season. If you want to check for gadget / game announcements, I'd prolly check Gizmodo or Engadget every once in a while to see if they have any new info on new DS's.

It really doesn't matter a whole lot. I was in that same predicament last year and since we didn't get a bundle pack really didn't see a differance. Now the games and the extra things for DS thats another story. I would say to wait to get too much extra until BF or at least until the blitz sales start the pre-Thanksgiving ones that is. Good luck- and for the record. Since our older two have a lot of school activities that the younger one has to go to it was one of the best purchases and gifts we have ever given.

If your wanting pink( I've been told they are always the hargest to find) I would say buy it now & hang on to your receipt, if you find a better deal later you can always return the other one...

This made me laugh because I bought my mom a DS last year and the only one I could find was a pink one. She's not a pink person but it was the only one I could find, lol. This year DD wants one but she hasn't said she wants a certain color so I'm holding out a while longer.

Last year when me and my mom went looking for a DS, all we could find was pink. She hates pink but got it anyways. Now she has Red and gave my dd the pink one, LOL.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm thinking of picking Guitar Hero 4 up for our kids for Christmas and see they are $69.99 now instead of $89.99. Since they are starting to discount these (I'm assuming a new version will be coming out?) do you think they will have a steal of a deal on BF for the older versions? I would need the game and 2 guitars.

For those of you wanting a DS for the kiddies I would seriously wait as there is a NEW DS coming out. Current prices on the regular DS should drop when the release date is announced for the USA

http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/10/02/nintendo-announces-nintendo-dsi/

Or if you want it before X-mas you can get it imported from Japan for $179. Your kid will be the cool kid as they have a new DS yet to reach the USA for a while.

I'm thinking of picking Guitar Hero 4 up for our kids for Christmas and see they are $69.99 now instead of $89.99. Since they are starting to discount these (I'm assuming a new version will be coming out?) do you think they will have a steal of a deal on BF for the older versions? I would need the game and 2 guitars.

I pre ordered guitar hero: world tour for ds, I was worried about them being available. Can you tell I know nothing about video games, lol.

You needing 2 guitars, can you buy them by themselves with out the game? If not maybe you could get 2 different guitar kits so the kids would have 2 different games also, or possibly a band kit if they have them on sale.

Guitar Hero World Tour is the newest Guitar Hero and is coming out later this month. It is similar to the RockBand that came out last year since it will have the capability for drums and a microphone etc.

Right now the guitar Heroes on sale at TRU are the GH Aerosmith and the GHIII. These were released 7/08 and last year before Christmas. THe GH World Tour which is coming out has a kit with the game that you can get for $189. Hope that helps.

We have all the GH games and now DS12 is asking for World tour

Now that my son has an X-box 360, Im on the lookout for games for that too.

I did buy a game at Target for $39 regularly $59.99 that was on the weekly sale. For the life of me I can't remember what the title was. Haha. My son just assured me thats what he wanted for his birthday so I got it.