>>> Official Black Friday 2008 HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Now that the whole HD DVD vs. Blu Ray thing is settled, I am hoping for a good deal on a projector for my home theater. I currently have an Epson SP4800 and it has been great for standard DVD on 110 inch screen. I would like to upgrade to a 720 or 1080 projector if a deal shows up for BF.

I say skip the old TV... get a LCD or Plasma! :tongue1: JK. Just make sure your converter box is rated for your TV with respect to your connectivity. Also, don't be surprised if you have to get a new set of rabbit ears. I believe one expert said that if your rabbit ears are over 10 years old, go ahead and budget for a new set. For me though... I'm gonna stick with my Plasmas. lol. =)

I am certainly not saying don't buy a HDTV if you can afford one. The true HDTV signal will always be more detailed on a true HDTV than it will on an older set through a converter. When using a converter on an older set you should get about the same quality you get when watching a DVD and for a lot of people that will be good enough to live with.I got the converter to hook up to my old TV's in rooms (kitchen and spare bedroom) where we don't have satellite box.

I have a older Toshiba 53" CRT rear projection HDTV and a Zenith (made by LG) 50" wall mounted plasma HDTV. Both have great pictures but given the current economic situation, I thought folks should be aware their with a little help from a converter their old TV isn't dead yet.

As for older rabbit ears not working, I have one older set (1980's) and one newer set, both work fine for HDTV.

Let's start with the DLP -- because I hate DLP. Unless you have a TV viewing room with a seat dead center at precisely the right height and distance with excellent lighting, you will probably be disappointed. Go to one of the big boxers to see what I mean.

$1k for a 720p plasma does not sound great to me (I've seem on sale for that price quite a bit; if you had jumped on the BB deal and charged on a discover card, you have gotten free shipping and another 5% off), but it sounds like a good deal. I think you can do better if you wait. If you disagree, jump on it.

About DLP; My home theater projector is FRONT PROJECTION DLP and I love it. The real issue here is not DLP, it is REAR PROJECTION and this type of TV is not all bad. First you have to know the 3 different types: CRT (possibly extinct at this point), LCD & DLP

Of the 3, CRT has the best viewing angle capabilities and is the least bothered by room lighting. CRT is also the heaviest and and takes up the most room. CRT does not have expensive projection bulbs that burn out and need to be replaced after every 2000-3000 hours of viewing. I believe CRT rear projection TV's are no longer being made though.

LCD rear projection TV's usually have the most limited viewing angle and are more prone to jagged edge lines being displayed due to the nature of LCD technology. Most also have bulbs that will burn out and need to be replaced. A few will have newer LED bulbs which are supposed to last much longer.

DLP rear projection TV's are usually better on viewing angles and do not have jagged edge lines. Some people report seeing a "rainbow" effect at times when watching DLP and find this to be "disturbing". The only way to know if you will have this problem is to watch a display unit for a couple of minutes. I personally have never met anyone who reported this as a problem, but I have read about it on the internet. Most DLP sets will also have the same bulb issue unless they have a LED bulb.

Personally I have never been impressed with Mitsubishi rear projection TV's. The picture seems grainy and washed out compared to others. However they do offfer a lot of screen size for the buck. Samsung rear projectors seem to have a very good picture and they do have a few models with the LED bulb. Sony (and I don't personally care for Sony usually) had some awesome rear projection DLP sets which they no longer make. The picture on them was as clear as looking out an open window.

If anyone decides to go for a rear projection TV, think about your viewing situation- head on is best but many rear projection TV's have improved viewing angles and may work for you.

Consider DLP over LCD if you do not notice any "rainbow effect".

Go for LED over the standard bulb if you can. If you get one with the standard bulb, it is a good idea to ask if the extended warranty also covers bulb replacement. A 2-3 year warranty should run around $300-400 and that should be pretty close to the price of the bulb as well.

I am certainly not saying don't buy a HDTV if you can afford one. The true HDTV signal will always be more detailed on a true HDTV than it will on an older set through a converter. When using a converter on an older set you should get about the same quality you get when watching a DVD and for a lot of people that will be good enough to live with.I got the converter to hook up to my old TV's in rooms (kitchen and spare bedroom) where we don't have satellite box.

I have a older Toshiba 53" CRT rear projection HDTV and a Zenith (made by LG) 50" wall mounted plasma HDTV. Both have great pictures but given the current economic situation, I thought folks should be aware their with a little help from a converter their old TV isn't dead yet.

As for older rabbit ears not working, I have one older set (1980's) and one newer set, both work fine for HDTV.

I have a SD Sony professional series TV (27") and a first generation Sony OTA HD receiver. Connecting the receiver to the monitor via component cables at 480i, no one I've shown can tell that they are not watching on a true HD set. The improvement in color rendering and reduction in noise is simply awesome. Now true, not very folks will have a SD tv that can take component in, but the fact is that a 480i signal can get people 80%+ to HD without the cost of a new tv. If you have a nicer tv and are on a budget, it's worth a try.

And for the whole discussion on "replacing your rabbit ears", age has nothing to do with it. It's just like with SOTA, if you're in a place with good reception, your antenna needs will be minimal, if you are not, then you are going to need something more. I pull in 4 of our local HD stations perfectly with a $2.99 antenna I got from Big Lots.

I'm looking for a 58" plasma, Panasonic is what I have in mind.

Any idea if this tv will be available on black friday ?

No one knows, of course, that's why we are all hanging around here ;)

But I'll go out on a limb and speculate that there won't be one. It'd be too big, expensive, and limited to serve as a door buster. 58" plasmas are still fetching $2-4k and weigh in at close to 150#. I guess that most would struggle getting a six foot box home.

I expect to see mostly LCDs at 42" and smaller on BF.

If I were going to plunk down that much money on a TV, price would be a screen criteria, but so would brand and image quality. To wit, start shopping. Make up a list of all the TVs that look good to you and are in the size range you want then watch here to see if any shows up as a BF deal. While you're waiting, keep an eye on the 'deal' sites for your choices -- never know when a deal is going to bite you in the butt!

First post here, but I see a lot of questions being asked about LCD vs. Plasma, 1080p vs 720p, etc. So, I want to help. First $2800 for a package set is NOT a good price. Price shop. You can get a 50" set for $1200 or less, a blu ray player for $250 or less, and a box home theater for less than $500.

1080p vs 720p. 1080p is 1920 pixels x 1080 pixels and a 720p is 1280 pixels x 720 pixels. Whether you can see 1080p vs 720p is a matter of how far you are from the set. The closer you are to the set the more likely you will need higher resolution. A good rule of thumb is 8 feet away from the set and 1080 is good for a 50 inch set, any smaller sets 1080p will not be detected by the eyes (so 1080p on a 42" set at 8ft away is going to be a waste).

When buying a set, remember these stores have the sets on what is known as torch mode. It is the peak brightness and contrast settings. LCD has all the news now, however, plasmas are by far the superior flat panel technology when it comes to the most accurate color representation and no smearing of fast action. If you look at plasmas, they ALWAYS have the best color and video representation. The only time this will not be the case is if you are comparing a cheap brand say sanyo plasma to a high end sony bravia. Remember this too, when you see the contrast ratios listed for sets, except for Pioneer, all these numbers are dynamic contrast meaning from the brightest location on the set to the darkest. Only Pioneer lists static contrast which is more accurate to what a person perceives.

So saying all of this, I would highly recommend buying a plasma over an LCD set all day long. Plasmas in real world use (not in the lights of the store), are much more contrasty and DO NOT suffer motion blurring.

Personally, I'm hoping to see a good price on a 42" plasma for the bedroom preferably a Samsung or Panasonic or Vizio (on the low end).

Hope this helps.

David

1080p vs 720p. 1080p is 1920 pixels x 1080 pixels and a 720p is 1280 pixels x 720 pixels.

Actually, the 1080 and 720 refer to the number of horizontal lines of resolution and, FWIW, most 720p sets have 768 lines.

Whether you can see 1080p vs 720p is a matter of how far you are from the set. The closer you are to the set the more likely you will need higher resolution. A good rule of thumb is 8 feet away from the set and 1080 is good for a 50 inch set, any smaller sets 1080p will not be detected by the eyes (so 1080p on a 42" set at 8ft away is going to be a waste).

There are more factors than distance -- especially the size of the screen, but also what you are looking at. 720p content may actually look better on a 720p set than a 1080p set as the 1080p has to scale the image. I usually point people to this chart, but, as you say, it's a rule of thumb. Best to go to a brick and mortar and see how things look when you sit as far back as you would in your living room. Circuit City has a chair and tape measure to help you out.

When buying a set, remember these stores have the sets on what is known as torch mode. It is the peak brightness and contrast settings. LCD has all the news now, however, plasmas are by far the superior flat panel technology when it comes to the most accurate color representation and no smearing of fast action. If you look at plasmas, they ALWAYS have the best color and video representation. The only time this will not be the case is if you are comparing a cheap brand say sanyo plasma to a high end sony bravia. Remember this too, when you see the contrast ratios listed for sets, except for Pioneer, all these numbers are dynamic contrast meaning from the brightest location on the set to the darkest. Only Pioneer lists static contrast which is more accurate to what a person perceives.

Excellent points. I'd add that glossy screens (i.e., plasmas) are problematic in bright rooms. I noticed that this year the merchants are mounting the tvs at a slight downward angle to reduce this effect. I'd do this at home if I couldn't dim the room with shades and curtains (which I have).

So saying all of this, I would highly recommend buying a plasma over an LCD set all day long. Plasmas in real world use (not in the lights of the store), are much more contrasty and DO NOT suffer motion blurring.

I agree. If you can manage the light, get a plasma.

Personally, I'm hoping to see a good price on a 42" plasma for the bedroom preferably a Samsung or Panasonic or Vizio (on the low end).

I got a 50" 720p Samsung with a 1200w htib for $930 after cashback. I'm breaking it in now. I've watched blu-ray, hd cable, and sd on it. It's beautiful. Even SD DVDs look great when played on the upconverting player. The Samsung bundle is nice since the devices are aware of each other (htib turns on and off with tv). My PS3 looks awesome.

Do you think there will be any good buys on DLP this black friday? I have a 52 inch HD monitor projection TV from BF 4 years ago and it does well in my large living room, but has no HDMI input and thought a DLP might allow me to get a bigger screen without freaking out my wife on the cost vs Plasma or LCD.

I don't think you'll see a DLP door buster. For the same reasons I mentioned for the 58" plasma -- too big, too expensive, too specialized. Just watch the bargain sites for a deal. BTW, I don't see a big difference between plasma and dlp prices. What's your budget and how big a set are you looking for?

Right now you can get a Pansonic 42" Plasma 1080p for $900 before tax if you have a Sears card. CC has the plasma for $1000, Sears for $1150. Sears should price match plus 10% of the difference bringing it down to $985. If you have a sears card, you can get an extra 10% off via a MIR thru 10-25.

CC

Sears

Do you think there will be any good buys on DLP this black friday? I have a 52 inch HD monitor projection TV from BF 4 years ago and it does well in my large living room, but has no HDMI input and thought a DLP might allow me to get a bigger screen without freaking out my wife on the cost vs Plasma or LCD.

Last year Sears, Circuit City and Walmart all had projection TV's on BF. I also think Fry's had them too. Some were DLP and some were LCD. They may be bigger volume wise than a plasma or LCD flat panel, but they are very light and can easily be carried by two people since most of the volume is just empty air space between the projector and the screen. I think the one at Circuit City was Samsung for around $800 with a 50" screen so if they run them again I guess there's a chance the price would be even lower this year.

I've heard a rumor from a sales associate of a crazy deal on the Panasonic 50 inch 720p Plasma set that may take place for Black Friday. Two of my relatives have these HDTV's and they look very good. My father is now in the market for one. Tweeter in my area has them for $999 with $500 worth of free gas ($25 a month with $100 of mail in gas receipts) and Sears has the same set on sale for $999. I'm hearing this one may go even lower on Black Friday.

I so badly wish that someone would make a 32 or 37" plasma. If you people are buying a 50" or bigger then you really should be sticking to the better brands (Samsung, Panasonic, Pioneer) and don't just fall for the lowest priced deal. These are going to be the low model line and you can get some serious upgrades by going up a level. Of course you will pay for it, but figure out what you really want and need out of it.

Now that the whole HD DVD vs. Blu Ray thing is settled, I am hoping for a good deal on a projector for my home theater. I currently have an Epson SP4800 and it has been great for standard DVD on 110 inch screen. I would like to upgrade to a 720 or 1080 projector if a deal shows up for BF.

I am in the same boat as you. I have everything else for my home theater and this is the last peice that I finally got approval for from the wife. I want to go 110" too. I can't wait to watch Wall-e with the fam with the new projector.

My 52" Sony Bravia has me spoiled! I did tons of research when tv shopping back in March '08 and can say, then and still now, I have yet to find a more crisp picture than the ones produced by the Sony Bravia. I chose LCD over Plasma because of the light factor as well as the burn in issue (since we do play lots of ps3/wii and are fans of the pause button). I can't stress enough that it is quality before price. I agree with an above poster, check out the tv's you like now so your not out buying a "lesser" tv later just because it is cheaper. Let me also say, with the right tv, Blue Ray will ROCK YOUR SOCKS!! :yup:

I don't think you'll see a DLP door buster. For the same reasons I mentioned for the 58" plasma -- too big, too expensive, too specialized. Just watch the bargain sites for a deal. BTW, I don't see a big difference between plasma and dlp prices. What's your budget and how big a set are you looking for?

I have been eyeing the 60 inch Mitsubishis. I have seen them as low as $1249. If I could get one below $1000 for this size, I think I may get it.

I saw this 32 inch plasma Vizio at Wal-Mart a few weeks back. It looks nice and it has good customer ratings. I have a 32 inch LCD Vizio in my bedroom that has a wonderful picture and it has given me no trouble at all.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8477433

My ds18 has the Vizio 32" Plasma and LOVES it! No problems, great picture.

Hello everyone, fellow BFer here with a key question on HDTV deals for this year.

I've been reading and I agree that this year will be a good year to get a good deal for an new HDTV on Black Friday, but here's my thing. I recently (two months ago) got myself a nice new 46" Samsung LCD HDTV online at Amazon.com for a few hundred dollars less than what any B&M store wanted for the same TV.

So my key question is this, will we find better deals on an HDTV this year at a B&M store like Best Buy on BF or at a online shop like Amazon.com on the following Cyber Monday.

I only ask this because my Brother and his wife are looking for a new HDTV and I've told them to save their money for BF. My thing is, if you order a TV online you needn't stand in a line or anything like that and needn't worry about trying to purchase a TV and beat the rush in one shot. However if you go with a B&M store you get the 30-day price match guarantee (considering amazon.com recently ceased their policy), plus needn't wait for it be shipped.

Also as a side question, how does purchasing a TV on BF work or more generally how does purchasing a TV on any day work at a B&M store, because I've never bought a TV from a B&M store?

$1100 for a 46" lcd seems expensive to me. The reviews on Amazon are good and their sale price is $1400, so, if that's what you want, it sounds like a good deal. Make sure you see it in person before buying.

im talking the first one first page. 800 i think it costs

im talking the first one first page. 800 i think it costs

Gotcha. This one...

Sharp 46" Widescreen 1080p LCD HDTV $899.99

Might want to check the amazon.com reviews if you are a game player...

The reason why i gave this a 2 star rating is because I'm into video games and I play my xbox 360 on this tv a lot and there's a very annoying "blink out" whenever playing a game above 480p.

Seems like a good price, though. Best sale price was $999.99 in July. I was hoping to see 46" TVs at $700 -- call me an optimist ;) Not sure I'd pay for 1080p at 46" but I'd have to see the set close up. As with all LCDs, if you like sports, see what fast motion looks like before pulling the trigger.

Current Sears deal that you might want to check out...

Samsung 40 in. (Diagonal) Class LCD Full HD (1080p) Television $799.99

I'm not saying this is not a good deal -- just nothing I'd stand in line for hours to get.

Edited by len_mullen