How is your job handled on Black Friday???

angelbabymommy

I usually have to use a vacation day as I work in banking. I'm currently trying to get a new job and if I get that one I'm afraid that I'll be working Black Friday. But at least I'll have a good job so I'm not going to complain either lol. I've only missed one Black Friday in the past 8 or so years.

From 96-2000 I worked at the local K-Mart here and was always working 12 hour days on Black Friday. I almost want to curl up in a fetal position when I think about my first two Black Friday's. The first one because I had NO IDEA at 16 how crazy people could be. Then for my second one we advertised we were going to have 30 Furby's scattered through the store like a treasure hunt. I was the person who unlocked the doors that day. We had to stand on a chair to get those automatic doors to work and flip a switch. I was up flipping the switch and when the doors opened I literally HUNG there for 3 minutes as people went flying under me trying to get in the store. Those insane people tore the store to shreds looking for the Furby's. Now I'm part of the Black Friday crowd - but after working in retail for 4 years - I try to act like somebody especially on BF when I know the employees are having the hardest day of work in their year.

I'm a sahm but dh works at a hospital so they never close. He works night shift so he won't have to go in until Friday night. On Thanksgiving Day, he has off every other year. On the years he works, he has to be there during the day so he's always home that night to stay with the kids so I can leave on my bf adventure, lol.

Well I work for Wal-Mart Distrbution Center and the stores are all open on Thanksgiving but for the past 3 years that I have worked there we were always supposed to work on Thanksgiving but we have not so far and we only work Tues-Fri 10 hour shifts so they have made us come in on Monday and we have been paid OT and we were given Thanksgiving off with pay and I believe this year will be the same as years past but we usually don't find out until about a week before time but I never miss Bf cause I work 2nd shift but this year my vacation day is set in stone for Bf so no work for me on that day for the 1st time in a long time. (Plus working for the Dc I always get to load the Bf items on the trucks weeks in advance so I see things most people don't know about).

BF is a paid holiday for us too. I'm taking a vacation day the day before Thanksgiving- so I'm making it a really long weekend.

Now we had a choice this year for Christmas Eve-- we could either be off Christmas Eve and Christmas Day paid. BUT.....then we'd have to work the day after Christmas. Instead, they took a vote and it got changed to working until 1pm on Christmas Eve then being off the rest of the day w/ pay and then being paid and off for Christmas and the day after.

I work retail.....so I am not going to have the whole day off......ESp. after last year when my boss came in at 7 am (I was outside Old Navy) and she forgot to lock the door when she went in, and loads of people followed her in. Oddly enough, I work at Hallmark and we don not even have BF deals.....rush and excitement shopping I guess! anyway, back to BF, I have asked to work the last shift so I can have the morning off, but knowing my boss she will give me the day off...she's cool that way.

• 2 weeks later...
I work for a child care and they consider the day after Thanksgiving a holiday. Thankfully my boss is a big BF fanatic so I know we will always be closed BF. It's probably the main reason I will never leave that job. I would be heartbroken if I had to work BF.