Black Friday Pet Peeves?

zim05

I usually never get a cart although last year we went to Kmart we literally walked around with our arms full of pillows and popcorn tins until we could no longer hold anything and then we got a cart and headed to the checkout lol

The bad part was there were a couple small things we wanted and they of course had to be located by the smallest electronics departement that everybody was frenzied to get to that I've ever seen lol

I seriously don't see how my friend works there and has worked there for a couple years lol

We have a small Kmart as well. After standing outside in the freezing cold and rushing back to electronics, it never fails, they give you their :eek:looks and then go out back and try to find the items everyone is in line waiting for.

My pet peeve is waiting in a line in the early morning hours of black friday at about 1 or 2 AM and hearing someone walk up and ask a person that they recognize in line:"What are you doing here?!". Duh it's 1 am on the biggest shopping day of the year...what do you think they're doing there? Lol, I don't know if it's just me but every year, I hear that line at least once!

Not really a pet peeve, but the last year I shopped at K-Mart, they were sold out of BF (Thanksgiving) items when they opened the doors. When I asked why, I was told that Massachusetts would not let KM open on T-day, so they put things on sale Wednesday. This KM was in New Hampshire, BUT decided to do the same thing. So, people came through the doors to find the store a shambles and nothing to buy. The store offered no rainchecks, substitutions, or apologies. I have not shopped there since.

Having a little old woman walk up when they start handing out tickets, and stands there and pokes you in the back with a cane. I don't care if people watch movies while waiting, but when it’s so loud that the whole line can hear people screaming in a different language, and women sounding like their being tortured. That was an uncomfortable atmosphere.:no:

I hate people that rush the doors when they open. It happens every year. We travel about 50 miles to get to WM and stand in teh cold to get items for our kids. The lines is usually 100 yards long, and people just stand in the roadway in front of the store and push their way in. So, starting last year, I started defending our space with a cart.

I totally agree with you Shopping mom, I hate it when people go bazerk on the employees, long lines and possible mistakes at checkout goes hand in hand with BF, you just have to make sure to catch it so you don't pay more!

I agree too!!

The employees probably wish they were shopping too or at least still in bed. Not dealing with us crazies!!!

People who are rude, people who cut lines, and the people who keep their children waiting out in the cold for hours. Want to bring them when the store is open, go right ahead but a young child does not need to be out in the cold waiting in line.

The bottom line on BF is to expect the unexpected. Believe me, I agree with all of you above but I do not let any of it bother me at all. I keep focused on what I need to accomplished on BF.

It's easy to focus in Florida.. when you are not freezing!!

We have to focus on keeping warm first then everything next:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I have several pet peeves when it comes to BF. One of which, like others in this thread, is those that cut in line. Another is not having enough stock to meet the demand of those who waited for hours in line to purchase. Third, I do not appreciate stores who staff employees who cannot handle long lines and pressure-type situations. I can tell you from experience that if a cashier does not bring their "A-game" on BF, they could be in serious trouble.

Ok, I'm going to defend the WM cashier, as I am now one. WM is my second job, as it is for many. I just started working there in June, so this will be my first holiday season. As for knowing where everything is, it's not going to happen. When you get to work, do you walk the whole building and then go to your desk, area, whatever? I don't think so. WM cashiers go to the back to clock in and go up front to the CSM to find out what register to go to. We don't program the machines, stock the shelves and they don't give us maps of the store. All we can do is scan your items and try to get you out of there as soon as possible. So please be understanding of all cashiers at all stores that would rather be in bed then at work that early in the morning dealing with many rude and impatient people. Patience and understanding on both sides of the register goes a long way.

What about preg women who think they can handle BF? We had two in line at the BB I was at last year and the cops told them to leave since they will put the babies in danger.

i was 9 months pregnant on BF last year! it is not nearly as crazy around here as it seems to be other places though. besides, my friends wrestled over the big ticket items for me while i hung back. if i had thought there was any danger i would certainly not have went, but i know from past BF's around here there isn't really anything to worry about. and believe me, i wasn't the only prego out either!

As a woman who was VERY pregnant on BF (had my dd on dec 14th that year) if someone had told me to go home or leave because I was pregnant I would have nicely asked them to leave since they were an @ss! That was the year my oldest wanted a Furby and I had tried to get one and tried to get one and couldn't...well Wal-Mart had a small shipment that they were putting out that morning and NOTHING was going to keep me away! I had gotten in line at 2am in Maine...it was snowing and cold. When the doors opened I didn't even have to move I just got pushed along in the sea of people trying to get in and get a Furby! I did end up getting the darn Furby...of course my daughter played with it for a few weeks and it ended up under the bed never to be played with again!

Now my biggest pet peeve is rude people who seem to think that there aren't going to be lines on BF!? a close second is the ones who show up and lurk off to the side and rush the doors when they open!

1st pet peeve is the people that come up 5 min before the door opens and have endless questions/compliments/hit on you in an attempt to rush the door. Second, the people who actually fall for it and chat this newcomer in the door with them. I also don't care for early morning sales with children. It's not the babies that get me it's the older kids who haven't been fed/pottied/aren't well/etc. with a parent that doesn't care to take care of these needs. I personally don't bring mine since they slow me down and I get easily flustered. As long as the parent is prepared I'm fine.

What about preg women who think they can handle BF? We had two in line at the BB I was at last year and the cops told them to leave since they will put the babies in danger.

Are you kidding me? I would've been seriously ticked...I went when I was 71/2 mos. preggers, but I never got that big and I was in great shape....better than some of the really ancient and disabled folks standing in line with me. I think everyone has to monitor their own ability to shop and take into account their own limitations. You also have to look at the place you're going and what kind of crowd it is. Good luck this year everyone...stay safe!

OK, I usually limit my posts, but I have to add this one....the lurkers are my pet peeve...didn't know that name for them 'til now. One year this old lady came RUNNING up carryng her cane and when people yelled at her she said she was disabled and couldn't stand in line like the rest of us....aaarrrrggggg....guess running and shopping all morning isn't quite the same as standing in line! Fortunately the cop at Target didn't buy it. This is why I don't do TRU on BF anymore, they refuse to get police help or staff the parking lot...too many lurkers!

Line crashers and stores that don't have any plan in place to deal with the madness when the doors open up.

I completely agree with this!!! Last year I went to Nebraska Furniture Mart and there was absolutely no organization whatsoever. There were two guys pushing a shopping cart through a crowd and almost ran over this lady with a stroller. The man standing beside me pushed them back and said "there's a baby up here". I have never been so scared in all my life.:no: For anyone that hasn't seen a NFM, they are huge, and it was full of people from top to bottom, for those that have seen a NFM, you can imagine how many people that is. I will never go there on BF again!!!

I can't stand when stores only staff a couple of cashiers on BF morning (The KMart on Telegraph @ 8 mile in Detroit is good for this...part of the reason I don't go there for doorbusters anymore). I also hate when stores don't open on time (very rare, but it HAS happened to me).

I've taken my dd with me on BF, and I'm not sure what the complaints about that are. I've never had a problem, and she loves to go. I've never encountered the aggressive crowds that have been described. Then again, I tend to stay away from the malls. I wouldn't take my child if I thought it was dangerous. Now that she's older (10) she's actually able to help me out quite a bit, and I can get in and out of a store much quicker than if I was by myself.

I've never been pregnant during BF, so I can't attest to that. However, last year my cashier @ Meijer was big pregnant - she said she was due in less than a week. She seemed to be handling it pretty well. She said it had been busy when they first opened, but the crowd had tapered off by 9am when I was there. So I guess it all depends on the pregnancy. When I was pregnant with dd, I had all the energy in the world and felt great. I probably wouldn't have had any problems. But if you're sickly or can't move around very well, it's probably not a good idea to be out there in the crowds, pregnant or not.

Edited by gezzmom70

I hate... HATE ... it when I'm sitting in line at Best Buy around 2AM and people come driving by yelling, "Hey! What's going on!? Why the heck are you all out there? Are you crazy?!" That drives me nuts, its like these people have never seen BF videos on TV or never picked up a news paper. What would you say to that? I wanted to say that we were waiting for AC/DC tickets.. but they didn't come to Louisville last year. lol. :P

I hate... HATE ... it when I'm sitting in line at Best Buy around 2AM and people come driving by yelling, "Hey! What's going on!? Why the heck are you all out there? Are you crazy?!" That drives me nuts, its like these people have never seen BF videos on TV or never picked up a news paper. What would you say to that? I wanted to say that we were waiting for AC/DC tickets.. but they didn't come to Louisville last year. lol. :P

I enjoy this actually. We told them we were in line for batteries, toasters, remote controls, and one drive-by we told them it was our local AA meeting, we meet there every Thursday.