Black Friday Pet Peeves?

zim05

See comments above.

I still disagree strongly with bring children for the mere fact of the aggressive crowds. When you get that many over-anxious BFers (some who will stop at nothing to get what they set out to get) in small areas, pushing and shoving WILL happen! Not only that but at that time in the morning in such a loud and combative environment it would, in my opinion, scare the crap out of some kids. I, personally, don't have any kids but from my years of experience with BF, it just doesn't sound like a good combinaton. But than again maybe your BF isn't as intense as mine!

In regards to your second comment, I strongly feel that during BF no one is patient (and oh I do try!!) and respect goes both ways. If your cart is blocking everyone (not very polite in my opinion) from moving through the isle than it deserves to be pushed a bit to make room!

Why can't you avoid taking children? While I admittedly have an unhealthy obsession with Black Friday there is no way in heck I'd take my kids out that morning. It's simply not safe and there is nothing THAT urgent or important that I would have to take the kids out for. I may WANT to go bf shopping, but I don't HAVE to go black friday shopping. ;)

If you need to shop bf to save money, shop ahead - there are plenty of deals before black friday that don't involve getting your head knocked off. Or pay a few bucks more, put less under the tree and keep your kids safe.

I still disagree strongly with bring children for the mere fact of the aggressive crowds. When you get that many over-anxious BFers (some who will stop at nothing to get what they set out to get) in small areas, pushing and shoving WILL happen! Not only that but at that time in the morning in such a loud and combative environment it would, in my opinion, scare the crap out of some kids. I, personally, don't have any kids but from my years of experience with BF, it just doesn't sound like a good combinaton. But than again maybe your BF isn't as intense as mine!

In regards to your second comment, I strongly feel that during BF no one is patient (and oh I do try!!) and respect goes both ways. If your cart is blocking everyone (not very polite in my opinion) from moving through the isle than it deserves to be pushed a bit to make room!

Personally, I have never seen anyone get as crazy as the scenes you are describing and I would certainly walk the other way if I did.

I would tend to disagree with you as I have had many a pleasant experience on BF where people help each other, hold places in lines for potty breaks, etc.

Maybe those of us in AZ are just less intense people than in other places.

Why can't you avoid taking children? While I admittedly have an unhealthy obsession with Black Friday there is no way in heck I'd take my kids out that morning. It's simply not safe and there is nothing THAT urgent or important that I would have to take the kids out for. I may WANT to go bf shopping, but I don't HAVE to go black friday shopping. ;)

If you need to shop bf to save money, shop ahead - there are plenty of deals before black friday that don't involve getting your head knocked off. Or pay a few bucks more, put less under the tree and keep your kids safe.

I'm not sure why I have to justify taking my DD shopping with me on BF. Part of it is that I am a single mom and she goes EVERYWHERE with me if I am not working.

I don't feel I HAVE to go shopping either but it's something I enjoy since my mom and I used to do it when she was still alive. Now I'm passing that tradition on to my daughter. We do not go out early. We sleep in and go when we wake up. When she was an infant/toddler, I didn't go for obvious reasons.

It's not a matter of 'needing' to save money as I make an extremely good salary and get an obscene amount of child support. However, as I would imagine like the rest of us on here, I enjoy looking for the best deal possible and enjoy the 'hunt'.

I pretty much have all of my shopping done for my daughter, Goddaughter, great-nieces and niece. I only have to buy my DD's "Santa" gift and then for the adults for which I buy. I have a very extensive shopping list. And please rest assured that I do more than my share of shopping on Amazon, other places online and throughout the year.

I guess if someone knocked off my head but ESPECIALLY my daughter's theirs would be laying on the floor too.

I only go to one *maybe* two stores each year. We don't go until like around 10am or so, so things have calmed down a bit. Last year I took my 2 boys they were ages 2 and 4 at the time. We wanted free donut holes at our favorite store! It is a tradition! LOL.

Do I DARE say this around here?????? Here goes....I'm not a big black Friday shopper!

OMG...I'm in trouble now.....:gdparanoid:

Can I also just say... If things were crazy enough that my kids' heads could get knocked off, I would not be there myself!

Fortunately it doesn't seem like out BF's around here are as crazy as some of those you are talking about.

I have taken my kids many many times when they were little. now that they are older they are a nuisance and have to stay home... lol I LOVED taking them out in their jammies and holding them tight in line under my coat with blankies wrapped around us....

I had the opposite scenario... people are NICER to those that have little ones along, esp little ones that are not screaming and yelling....

Seriously at the time I had NO ONE to watch them and I work full time so I'm not some SAHM that can spend time with her kids whenever so I took them along. We had great fun. Now they are too old and can't keep a secret so they don't get to go. Instead now they stay home and decorate the tree while I am out and I bring them a nice surprise home.

There is NO problem with taking babies in most cases... now dead of winter with a newborn in a stroller all night.. yeah, I got a problem with that baby's safety for being outside in the bitter cold..... but some states are very mild on black Friday..... and as for the preg women being sent home, I would have started a discrimination suit so fast someone's head would have rolled... a pregnant person has every right to be a part of the shopping experience and their body takes care of their baby..... if their water breaks... then they should be taken out of line though... lol

That said... I have never went shopping for the "deals".... I have seen the knock down drag out fights..... protecting my kids always came first, people watching (love to do this) came second, and deals were third..... I have my priorities in line as I am sure the majority of moms shopping with their kids do.....

Hope you all find some great deals.... and my pet peeves.... to get us back on topic... are the store employees that don't know where anything is at..... and the store registers not being programmed to get the prices right.... the rudeness I can handle... I couldn't imagine having to work retail that day.... I would probably snap too and I am normally not rude at all. :D

Personally, I have never seen anyone get as crazy as the scenes you are describing and I would certainly walk the other way if I did.

I would tend to disagree with you as I have had many a pleasant experience on BF where people help each other, hold places in lines for potty breaks, etc.

Maybe those of us in AZ are just less intense people than in other places.

Well I guess we can agree to disagree on this one :yup:

People are (for the most part) pleasant in the lines and will hold places but once those doors open its every person for themselves. I just don't like to see kids waiting in lines in 10 degree weather, but since your in the south you probably have more mild weather! I'm not saying your a bad parent or anything its just that I've seen kids go through it just fine but then there are some kids who are so freaked out that they are screaming at the top of their lungs. In the end it's the parents who decide whether they need to/want to bring the kid but not everybody on BF will on the lookout for them or will be less 'intense' because of them! So thats way I say, as my (personal) pet peeve, not to bring kids just because you don't know how the kid or other BFs will respond or react to BF!

Back on topic: When the stores split things up, like movies, in two different places. At Target in the previous years all their BF movies have always been in the movies section. Last year they decided to split them up, boxed movies and tv shows were in the usual spot but the new releases/cheap dvds were in the girls clothes area, which just happens to be next to the checkouts! Which, if you don't get it right away, can be a pain in the bottom because of the lines for checkout!

I really don't get the reason behind fighting on BF. Yea..you've been in line for twelve-plus hours and yes you want to get that specific toy/gift for that special someone, but is it really worth bloodying someone to a pulp or even getting arrested and spending time in jail? Way to start the season that promotes, "Peace on Earth and Good Will Towards Men."

I really don't get the reason behind fighting on BF. Yea..you've been in line for twelve-plus hours and yes you want to get that specific toy/gift for that special someone, but is it really worth bloodying someone to a pulp or even getting arrested and spending time in jail? Way to start the season that promotes, "Peace on Earth and Good Will Towards Men."

Yeah I agree, I understand pushing and shoving is bound to happen in some cases but if you see someone down why not stop and help them up? Like in some of those videos in the BF video thread, when people fall down everyone keeps going and steps on them! I've never actually seen people getting into a brawl on BF over anything, just pushing and shoving.

Yeah I agree, I understand pushing and shoving is bound to happen in some cases but if you see someone down why not stop and help them up? Like in some of those videos in the BF video thread, when people fall down everyone keeps going and steps on them! I've never actually seen people getting into a brawl on BF over anything, just pushing and shoving.

Exactly I never saw anyone actually brawl yet and I've been going for quite a few years. The worst Ive seen is yelling at cutters (which is deserved) and people like me making the mad sprint when the doors open and losing their poor mother back at the door to fend for herself and grabbing onto their item and refusing to let go until the cart arrives lol.

BIGGEST PP is when you have a group of teenagers surrounding a pallett and when it is opened. They grab all the items there and put it in one buggy. Only later to find it out at the local flea market for sale. I agree with limits. I am not in the store that early in the morning for any other reason than to christmas shop for my kids. These people could care less what is under the tree or if ds or dd is disappointed cause they did not get that special item. They just want to resale for profit.

Exactly I never saw anyone actually brawl yet and I've been going for quite a few years. The worst Ive seen is yelling at cutters (which is deserved) and people like me making the mad sprint when the doors open and losing their poor mother back at the door to fend for herself and grabbing onto their item and refusing to let go until the cart arrives lol.

LOL:yup: I do the same with my poor mom! She grabs a cart and goes to pre-decided area (out of the way of course) and grabs anything and everything on the way! I wrote about my wrost expeirence in the "BF Past Stories" thread. But last year we had one of our exchange students come down from college to go with us again (she gone for the last 4 years). We were at Target and we really wanted the Guitar Hero for the PS3, the one with two guitars. Once the doors opened she ran to it and got the one of the last ones but someone pushed her down (not sure if it was on purpose) and anothe person took it from her. She was sooo mad but laughed it off because it turned out my sister, who went through a different door, got the last one. Oh that leads me to another pet peeve:

- People who either take stuff out of carts or from someone else's hands

BIGGEST PP is when you have a group of teenagers surrounding a pallett and when it is opened. They grab all the items there and put it in one buggy. Only later to find it out at the local flea market for sale. I agree with limits. I am not in the store that early in the morning for any other reason than to christmas shop for my kids. These people could care less what is under the tree or if ds or dd is disappointed cause they did not get that special item. They just want to resale for profit.

That really sucks!! The idea of people getting a whole bunch of stuff and reselling is a touchy topic on the BF boards (or at least on the one I frequent). It seems that people on the boards are, as a whole, divided on it, personally I don't like it and it is a pet peeve of mine as well, expecially on BF.

That really sucks!! The idea of people getting a whole bunch of stuff and reselling is a touchy topic on the BF boards (or at least on the one I frequent). It seems that people on the boards are, as a whole, divided on it, personally I don't like it and it is a pet peeve of mine as well, expecially on BF.

People who visit other BF boards.

;)

Just kidding...

Reselling items is a touchy subject here too.

In my experiences the people that sleep out and wait in line for hours and hours are never the people trying to cut in line & pushing & shoving and causing problems, they are the nice ones. It's the people that get into line right before a store opens and for some reason think they don't have to respect the lines or order or ticket systems and try to push or cut their way to the front, those people are the ignorant ones.

Every year I wait in the Menards (hardware store) line here and watch people pull into the parking lot 5 minutes before the store opens and see that the line is wrapped around the front of the store & then stand towards the door and pretend to be talking on their cell phones in the parking lot so that when they open the doors they try to run into the store. People do it every year.

I have several pet peeves when it comes to BF. One of which, like others in this thread, is those that cut in line. Another is not having enough stock to meet the demand of those who waited for hours in line to purchase. Third, I do not appreciate stores who staff employees who cannot handle long lines and pressure-type situations. I can tell you from experience that if a cashier does not bring their "A-game" on BF, they could be in serious trouble.

I have several pet peeves when it comes to BF. One of which, like others in this thread, is those that cut in line. Another is not having enough stock to meet the demand of those who waited for hours in line to purchase. Third, I do not appreciate stores who staff employees who cannot handle long lines and pressure-type situations. I can tell you from experience that if a cashier does not bring their "A-game" on BF, they could be in serious trouble.

VERY good point about store staff who does not bring there A-game on BF. It seems that BB does a really good job but I remember hearing some nightmares about WM.

Welcome to the community!

VERY good point about store staff who does not bring there A-game on BF. It seems that BB does a really good job but I remember hearing some nightmares about WM.

Walmart is a hit or a miss on BF. A couple years ago at our WM they had to get authorization to accept checks (probably 5yrs ago when most ppl still had them) over $100. Then there are years when everything went relatively smoothly and you were out in 10 min.

The one big thing I noticed about BF at WM is the employees don't, for the most part, seem to give a crap and they allow the pushing and shoving and the back-talk. In general once I leave WM and go over to Target my stress level and negative vibe dramatically reduces. Its probably the difference in the WM crowd and the Target crowd - people tend to be nicer and not quite as intense.

I only go to one *maybe* two stores each year. We don't go until like around 10am or so, so things have calmed down a bit. Last year I took my 2 boys they were ages 2 and 4 at the time. We wanted free donut holes at our favorite store! It is a tradition! LOL.

Do I DARE say this around here?????? Here goes....I'm not a big black Friday shopper!

OMG...I'm in trouble now.....:gdparanoid:

Oooh Oooh Oooh!!!! Is it Fred Meyer? My mom and I go there every year and have since the mid 80's.

My main pet peeve is rude people, I understand we are all out there for the same reason but there is no need to be a batch lol

And I also agree on the carts issue, I was also at Target trying to get DVD's and was having to move around 3 or 4 carts in a very small area.

My biggest pet peeve are those "lurkers" who hang around the parking lot 20 to 30 minutes before the store opens and slowing move towards the door the closer it gets to opening. They totally ignore the line that has been there for 15 plus hours!:gdparanoid: And most time when people yell out them they pretend not to understand a word people are saying! :cheesy:

That and the 2 people towards the front of the line that about 10 minutes before the store opens allow 30 of their family members to join them that have been "waiting in the car".

My biggest pet peeve are those "lurkers" who hang around the parking lot 20 to 30 minutes before the store opens and slowing move towards the door the closer it gets to opening. They totally ignore the line that has been there for 15 plus hours!:gdparanoid: And most time when people yell out them they pretend not to understand a word people are saying! :cheesy:

That and the 2 people towards the front of the line that about 10 minutes before the store opens allow 30 of their family members to join them that have been "waiting in the car".

Absolutely !!! On both ! The lurkers either act like they don't understand or say they are waiting until everyone files in first...when they are called out.

I hate the line saving hate it. I have been at the front and had my sister in laws try to come stand with me and I refuse them get to the back people ! :yup:

I usually never get a cart although last year we went to Kmart we literally walked around with our arms full of pillows and popcorn tins until we could no longer hold anything and then we got a cart and headed to the checkout lol

The bad part was there were a couple small things we wanted and they of course had to be located by the smallest electronics departement that everybody was frenzied to get to that I've ever seen lol

I seriously don't see how my friend works there and has worked there for a couple years lol

All you guys pretty much listed everything I was gonna say...

:cheesy:

But one of my TOP 5 BF pet peeves is:

When your standing in line, and people in cars driving by wondering, "WTF are you doing in line at 4 in the morning?!11!?!!!11eleven!!1!?"

They are hecka annoying.

:banghead::argue_cur:gdsmileys:

lol.

Thank you =]