Predictions for amount of legal threats this year?

Brad

What is everyone's guess on what is going to happen this year?

More threats than last year? About the same? Less? (not likely)

For the record, Walmart has already contacted us a few weeks ago and their policy from last year has not changed... :no:

I bet it will be about the same.

Because of walmart last year I don't shop there anymore. If I do it is for little things that I forgot to get at Albertson's. No big ticket purchases from me.

I think for the most part most businesses understand the advertising they are getting from this site and the fact that with the economy the way it is people have a necessity to stretch their money as far as they can. An informed shopper is a better shopper. And the money they might save on a advertised special might go towards something else that isn't!

I have a feeling it might be more then last year. Other stores are going to take walmarts lead. I still think these sores would want us to know what is onsale far enought ahead so we can plan better on what stores need to be hit and when. We might be more willing to spend more.

The other reason I think less is because last year Walmart sales for BF were way below projected numbers. Mostly because of the bad press it got from the legal actions against BF sites. I think that the other stores had better numbers so they don't want to do anything to rock the boat, not with so many people that are financially strained at this point. JMHO! :)

The other reason I think less is because last year Walmart sales for BF were way below projected numbers. Mostly because of the bad press it got from the legal actions against BF sites. I think that the other stores had better numbers so they don't want to do anything to rock the boat, not with so many people that are financially strained at this point. JMHO! :)

While we'd all like to think so, I seriously doubt their threats against sites like ours were "mostly" the reason for their supposed low numbers.

I seriously hated the whole Walmart thing last year. I shop there less and less every year, but really a lot less last year. I hate the bully behavior from them towards us here. I think there will be more threats this year....

I just wish they would realize I spend more knowing what is out there...

I would hope there would be less so we can have acess to more ads but I doubt it. The ones we had last year I spent many enjoyable hours planning what to buy for whom. It was so nice to have time to go through the ads with one person in mind at a time so I could really think about what to buy that individual. It helped me to plan a good stratagy and budget. I definitely shopped where I had seen the ads early. Those stores that pulled thier ads have that right but they did not get my business.

The bad publicity it got as a result of it's actions, and the fact that last year they really didn't have anything spectacular like previous years. It was like they lost interest in the customers and concentrated more on the lawyers.

I also remember someone around here giving out a Walmart exec's home phone number to we could all make threatening calls to his family. :shock: Wonder if history will repeat itself this year. :gdparanoid:

I'm hoping there's gonna be less. More on the part of Walmart, but less far as other corporations. I think they might realize the benefits over the security issues of having their ad 'leaked' early.

So, has anyone from Ace Hardware contacted Gottadeal regarding their ad released four months too early? Talk about planning ahead! ;)

Unfortunately, probably more. I don't shop Wal-Mart...oops, WalMart*, so I don;t care about thier ad. but I think WM will do what it tries to prevent. Which is, waiting til as late as possible to undercut others. I just hope we can have the same loophole this year, with the text ads & do away with scans if threatened. I was really sad to see the Target issue last year. BTW, did you ever get that worked out? I buy more from them in-store than online because of insane shipping charges, but if it was a good enough deal I'd click-thru from here lol.

Hey ... even legal publicity is good publicity. The more businesses that send legal threat letters and put Gottadeal on the evening news the merrier. ;)

In theory, yes. Bu in practice, maybe not so much. Headlines say "WM orders Gottadeal to withdraw ads." Next thing ya know, Target fears WM will undercut, since no one has thier ad no one knows. So Target says pull our ad. BB follows, etc. It could be a very nasty chain of events if stores don';t wake up to the fact that allowing us to plan actually BOOSTS sales :(

Its tough to say...because with the economy in shambles common sense says the more ads..the more visible a store is the more likely the shoppers will come..So I lean towards less threats..

I remember walking into a Walmart last year at 11:00 am and finding everything they advertised on Black Friday...clearly they didn't do well. My hope is other stores were watching and learned from Walmarts mistakes..lol

What is everyone's guess on what is going to happen this year?

More threats than last year? About the same? Less? (not likely)

For the record, Walmart has already contacted us a few weeks ago and their policy from last year has not changed... :no:

Brad...

I would think that with the success WalMart had in getting their ads pulled last year, other companies will be more willing to follow the line this year.

WalMart did have some backlash from what they did, but I think the consensus would be that their bad BF performance was due more to a mediocre product lineup.