Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

How to get around the Firewall at work, so I can play Yahoo Games?

10 replies to this topic

#1 jarerice  OFFLINE  

jarerice

Jaime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted May 22, 2008 - 8:22 am

I have been wanting to play Yahoo games and Pogo while I am at work. It gets boring around here sometimes. I am unable to connect to Yahoo's game server. I know I am behind a firewall. I googled "free proxy servers", but that didn't seem to work for me either. Is there anyway I can get around this thing, so i can have some fun? Thanks

#2 kranky  OFFLINE  

kranky

• 3,597 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 22, 2008 - 8:29 am

I would caution you not to do that. If they are smart enough to have a firewall, they are smart enough to detect people getting around it. Everything that is done on a network is logged, and they will easily be able to tell what's going on.

#3 Fishboysmom  OFFLINE  

Fishboysmom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,291 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted May 22, 2008 - 8:33 am

I have been wanting to play Yahoo games and Pogo while I am at work. It gets boring around here sometimes. I am unable to connect to Yahoo's game server. I know I am behind a firewall. I googled "free proxy servers", but that didn't seem to work for me either.

Is there anyway I can get around this thing, so i can have some fun?

Thanks

Get a nintendo ds.

#4 jarerice  OFFLINE  

jarerice

Jaime

• 3,622 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted May 22, 2008 - 8:47 am

Get a nintendo ds.

I have one of those! I never thought about that. Thanks;)

#5 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 11,968 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted May 22, 2008 - 9:59 am

I agree... Bad idea. My official answer is, "It can't be done."

#6 cthulhu  OFFLINE  

cthulhu

Yaaarrrrr!!!

• 2,701 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 23, 2008 - 9:59 am

I agree...

Bad idea.

My official answer is, "It can't be done."

My answer is a question, "What's more important, your job or yahoo games?"
Sigs? We don't need no stinking sigs.

#7 webarchitect  OFFLINE  

webarchitect

• PipPipPip
  • 3 Posts
  • Member since 2008

Posted May 23, 2008 - 7:01 pm

Well unless your work is making Yahoo games, then I think sticking to your job while you're in the office is a better choice. But during breaks I think it's ok to rest with a game or two. Get a CD and install some ROMs or maybe Warcraft in your PC. Lol

#8 BigNate  OFFLINE  

BigNate

Ubermeister

• 5,154 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 23, 2008 - 10:00 pm

I agree, don't go around their firewall. The IT guys will flip, with good reason. IT guys spend their time trying to keep all the bad stuff on the net from getting into their carefully controlled little world, also known as the company network. Circumventing their firewall causes them to lose control.

#9 Scanner420  OFFLINE  

Scanner420

GD's Resident Phillies Fan!!!!

• 1,767 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted May 23, 2008 - 11:43 pm

I gotta firewall at work as well. Could you picture the pop-ups the hospital would get just by going to ebaum's world! Someone actually did go to prno sites here while on duty, but they weren't caught. Shame they screwed it up for all of us.

#10 amyers12345  OFFLINE  

amyers12345

Unofficial Resident Tax Pro

• 3,519 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 24, 2008 - 5:32 am

gotta agree.. when I get bored at work, which is about 2 days a year, I clean out file drawers, wipe down counters, scrub desks, and keep myself busy. I can only imagine what would happen if I were to get paid for playing games. I feel guilty about checking a personal email.

#11 freelow  OFFLINE  

freelow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 28, 2008 - 6:32 am

My answer is a question, "What's more important, your job or yahoo games?"

Could not have said it any better. Purposely going around a firewall to play games is a fire-able offense at a lot of companies. Any IT director with the slightest bit of pull within the company could have you fired in a heartbeat for placing the company's server at risk because "It gets boring around here sometimes".

Heck, I would not repeat "It gets boring around here sometimes" to a supervisor; they might feel that your position is expendable.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users