Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Best laptop for Senior Citizens?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Kara1204  OFFLINE  

Kara1204

Think Pink!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 24, 2008 - 6:05 pm

My parents want a laptop mainly for Googling and emailing to friends and family. They are both over 70 and have never even TOUCHED a computer. They will be TOTAL beginners. What is the best choice? How much memory is enough to make fiber optic connection run smoothly? Best brand? I am thinking Dell or HP. I see some have a processor that is not Intel and I know nothing about those. BTW, they insist on a laptop because they do not have the room for a PC, monitor, processor, etc. Any help, input and advice would be appreciated.:)

Edited by Kara1204, Apr 24, 2008 - 6:36 pm.

All those who wander are not lost.........

#2 Sue-Z-Q  OFFLINE  

Sue-Z-Q

• 1,070 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Apr 24, 2008 - 6:10 pm

I got my mom a Dell E1405 back when Brad posted a hot deal. I also picked one up for my DD and they both like them. When I read the title of the thread, I was thinking seniors in school. :)

#3 pottsie66  OFFLINE  

pottsie66

• 1,161 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Apr 24, 2008 - 6:12 pm

I got my mom a Dell E1405 back when Brad posted a hot deal. I also picked one up for my DD and they both like them.
When I read the title of the thread, I was thinking seniors in school. :)

That's what I was thinking, too. I could help you with that question, but I don't know what all you would want for senior citizens. Sorry I'm of no help. :no:

#4 mmm40  OFFLINE  

mmm40

• 3,197 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 24, 2008 - 6:26 pm

What about a Mac? I hear the interface is much easier to deal with for the inexperienced and technically challenged.
:moon: MIRANDA

#5 Xfeg  OFFLINE  

Xfeg

SPIDERPIG!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Apr 24, 2008 - 6:33 pm

What about a Mac? I hear the interface is much easier to deal with for the inexperienced and technically challenged.

if money is not a real issue thats a good way to go. there isnt much you can mess up with those. and if there is an apple store nearby and you arent those guys can be really helpful and patient.
:chicken:Caitlin :moon:

#6 Kara1204  OFFLINE  

Kara1204

Think Pink!

• 1,235 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 24, 2008 - 6:38 pm

Sorry, I do not have kids and that confusion never entered my mind. I edited the title. Mac? Umm...no, I really do not want them to be alienated. PC is by far the most popular and compatible with everything. Besides, I am the one they will call (daily, I'm sure) whey they have a problem and I know NOTHING about Mac. Never touched one. Money IS an issue. They do not have a lot and I am hoping to get them fixed up for like $500-$700 ALL they will be able to handle is emailing and searchiong the web. They will not need much for the actual COMPUTER, so no bells and whistles. They will not be creating and storing any files. I would just like for them to be able to load pages smoothly, but not sure how many G's they should have??? I guess all they need is a simple internet/email machine.

#7 Xfeg  OFFLINE  

Xfeg

SPIDERPIG!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Apr 24, 2008 - 6:53 pm

id say get like a bottom of the line dell and upgrade the ram then.
:chicken:Caitlin :moon:

#8 DaveL  OFFLINE  

DaveL

• 1,490 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Apr 25, 2008 - 4:13 pm

Kara, you may want to consider a good used one if money is an issue. The bottom of the line dells will probably be just fine for them. If at all possible, configure it just like yours (XP or Vista, same programs, etc.) so if they have problems you can walk them through it over the phone.

#9 Kayakmom  OFFLINE  

Kayakmom

• 3,325 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 25, 2008 - 5:27 pm

My hubby wanted to get another laptop today and we let the kids play with them, so we wanted something inexpensive that would work for us if we're in the area where it's parked. We grabbed this one from Staples. I had a $30 off $150 coupon that had come in the mail, so I got it for $469. Fair enough for 2GB memory dual core processor, I think. :)
~~Jen~~

:tongue1: Well-behaved women seldom make history. :tongue1:

#10 Kara1204  OFFLINE  

Kara1204

Think Pink!

• 1,235 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 25, 2008 - 7:56 pm

Went to the Dell web site today and "built" a laptop I think will work for them. It was a Vostro 1500. All I added to the standard features was a cordless mouse (I can not see Mom and Dad figuring out the glide point) and the Norton Firewall/Antivirus protection. Memory is 2GB and the hard drive is 250GB. I went with XP because that is what I have and as another post said, it would make life easier on me when called for problems. Grand Total price was $644 plus tax. I printed this off and will take it with us to Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, etc. when we go shopping just to have something to compare to. What do you all think of this? What about the model and price? Does it seem to be in range? Is is usually cheaper to go through Dell's web site, or buy at a local store? Thanks for all of the input so far, I appreciate it! :yup: One more thing, I hear there is a program you can get that will allow me to 'tap' into their computer and run it from mine right here at home, so if there is a problem, I can see it on my own computer. Anyone know what this might be?

#11 MandaJo111  OFFLINE  

MandaJo111

Proud Army Wife!

• 1,806 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 25, 2008 - 8:02 pm

I have the Vostro 1700 and I love it! Mine has Vista and it has been seem-less for me. I feel it is cheaper with the discounts and all to build one online. Another option would be to check the dell outlet store. http://www.dell.com/outlet We have bought a desktop through there before and you can buy the warranty and all if you wish, but we had no problems at all and used it for several years before upgrading. This might be an option for you. They have everything in there from refurbs to ones that have a scratch or they buyer couldn't provide payment for. It is easier for them to sell them that way then take them apart, etc.
Amanda
:usaribbon :usflag: :gdmilitary:
Proud Army Wife and Mommy to DS8 Layne, DD4 Ashlee, and DD2 Madison!

#12 Kara1204  OFFLINE  

Kara1204

Think Pink!

• 1,235 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 25, 2008 - 8:56 pm

I have the Vostro 1700 and I love it! Mine has Vista and it has been seem-less for me. I feel it is cheaper with the discounts and all to build one online. Another option would be to check the dell outlet store. http://www.dell.com/outlet We have bought a desktop through there before and you can buy the warranty and all if you wish, but we had no problems at all and used it for several years before upgrading. This might be an option for you. They have everything in there from refurbs to ones that have a scratch or they buyer couldn't provide payment for. It is easier for them to sell them that way then take them apart, etc.

Thanks for the outlet tip, I will check it out!

#13 Cheri17  OFFLINE  

Cheri17

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Apr 26, 2008 - 5:08 am

I bought my computer from the outlet and ,no problems,would buy again.:)

#14 DaveL  OFFLINE  

DaveL

• 1,490 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Apr 27, 2008 - 7:01 am

A friend of ours had a laptop refurb from Dell that the screen went out on. She asked me to look at it since it was 2 1/2 yrs old and she thought it was out of warranty. Before tearing into it I checked the service tag and found that it was still in warranty. She called Dell and they had it fixed within the week. I would not hesitate at all when buying a Dell refurb.

#15 NO30FAN  OFFLINE  

NO30FAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Apr 27, 2008 - 1:59 pm

FYI...not bad for a dual core....I have a Toshiba for 4 yrs now from a BF promo with no problems. Be careful with DELL and Gateway....They are having problems with the AC port on their mother boards shorting out...We've had 2 that have gone out....you can check out their forums...nothing but post of this problem

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1203815723537

Mike

#16 DaveL  OFFLINE  

DaveL

• 1,490 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Apr 27, 2008 - 2:15 pm

There are problems with all manufacturers at one point or another...the key is service. I had a Toshiba laptop for work and hated the thing. It was difficult to get it serviced too. Dell is much easier to get service.

#17 Sugar&Spice  OFFLINE  

Sugar&Spice

My azaleas!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Apr 27, 2008 - 3:05 pm

Borrowed from another board:

Dell Business Vostro 1000 AMD Athlon Dual-Core 1.9GHz, 15.4-inch XGA, 2GB RAM, 80GB, DVD Burner, 256MB Video Card, Wi-Fi for $449.00+ Free Shipping **$200 Off**2GB RAM + 256MB Video Card**
AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 Dual-Core processor TK-57 (1.9GHz/256KB) / Windows® XP Home Edition / 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Anti-Glare Display / 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 Dimm / 80GB 5400RPM Hard Drive / 8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+R write capability, Cyberlink Power DVD / ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory (integrated)
$574.00 - $125 instant off = $449.00 + Free Shipping
http://configure.us....7420&lid=197374
How about this? Seems like a good deal for what you'd need.
:moon: "Live long and prosper." :gdflower3:

#18 BigNate  OFFLINE  

BigNate

Ubermeister

• 5,154 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 27, 2008 - 4:35 pm

The service plans for the Vostro line is better in general than the personal computers that Dell sells. For the desktop you can get next business day on site (they come to you) service for pretty cheap.

#19 Kara1204  OFFLINE  

Kara1204

Think Pink!

• 1,235 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 27, 2008 - 5:56 pm

Borrowed from another board:

Dell Business Vostro 1000 AMD Athlon Dual-Core 1.9GHz, 15.4-inch XGA, 2GB RAM, 80GB, DVD Burner, 256MB Video Card, Wi-Fi for $449.00+ Free Shipping **$200 Off**2GB RAM + 256MB Video Card**
AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 Dual-Core processor TK-57 (1.9GHz/256KB) / Windows® XP Home Edition / 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Anti-Glare Display / 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 Dimm / 80GB 5400RPM Hard Drive / 8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+R write capability, Cyberlink Power DVD / ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory (integrated)
$574.00 - $125 instant off = $449.00 + Free Shipping
http://configure.us....7420&lid=197374
How about this? Seems like a good deal for what you'd need.

That one does look like a good deal, will have to play around with that one, too. Thanks!

#20 Kara1204  OFFLINE  

Kara1204

Think Pink!

• 1,235 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 27, 2008 - 6:01 pm

The service plans for the Vostro line is better in general than the personal computers that Dell sells. For the desktop you can get next business day on site (they come to you) service for pretty cheap.

That is good to know, too. I am surprised that Dell service would be different from one type to another?? Why would they treat Vostro customers better than the PC customers? Seems to me that ALL Dell customers should expect the same service level. We have a Dell here at home and have not had a single problem with it in 3 years. I trust the brand.

I have been hearing bad things about Gateway for several years, now, including the problem listed in the previous post. I know 2 people who had that very problem and got NO satisfaction in resolving it. Ended up literally throwing the computer in the garbage. You could not talk me into PAYING for a Gateway. Give it to me FREE and that would be another story. :tongue1:

#21 Swampbaby  OFFLINE  

Swampbaby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 27, 2008 - 6:55 pm

[quote name='Kara1204']That is good to know, too. I am surprised that Dell service would be different from one type to another?? Why would they treat Vostro customers better than the PC customers? Seems to me that ALL Dell customers should expect the same service level. We have a Dell here at home and have not had a single problem with it in 3 years. I trust the brand.

Vostro is from the Small Business group vs. the "home" group. Think that is one difference. Another is it will NOT be loaded up with all that junk trial stuff. One less thing to hassle with.

#22 BigNate  OFFLINE  

BigNate

Ubermeister

• 5,154 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 27, 2008 - 8:00 pm

Vostro is from the Small Business group vs. the "home" group. Think that is one difference. Another is it will NOT be loaded up with all that junk trial stuff. One less thing to hassle with.

Exactly. Business owners expect less hassle. My old office had a dell desktop that fried it's motherboard. The tech was there the next day, diagnosed it, replaced it, and had it running for us in a few hours.

I think with laptops it's a mail in service but still far better than the consumer plans. Honestly though dell's service is above par for computer sellers, but if you can do even better for not so much extra money it's worth it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users