two new carseats (5pt harness)

Hey all--I just got back from a visit with my mom, and her carseats are old (she got them for my nieces, who are school-aged now). I just found out that they "expire" after 6 years

Video here:

and I want to get two new ones before we go there again (we visit several times a year).

Any ideas? Recommendations? My girls are 3 1/2 and weigh in the 20's so they'll be in a 5 point harness for quite a while. At home, we use Britax, but I can't afford two of those right now.

Thanks!

Sarah

Hey all--I just got back from a visit with my mom, and her carseats are old (she got them for my nieces, who are school-aged now). I just found out that they "expire" after 6 years

Video here:

and I want to get two new ones before we go there again (we visit several times a year).

Any ideas? Recommendations? My girls are 3 1/2 and weigh in the 20's so they'll be in a 5 point harness for quite a while. At home, we use Britax, but I can't afford two of those right now.

Thanks!

Sarah

I picked a great one up for my husband at Wal-mart for $35!!! It was the Costco and it was in the isle. They had a bunch for girls and are carseat/booster seat! I have the top rated Costco Juenile Elite in my car and this is the same just not as padded and does not have a few of the Extra features like armrests but for the price it is a great deal!!!!

I would save for the Britax. The Marathon can keep them harnessed to 65lbs. Most other seats are outgrown long before the 40 lb weight limit due to height. Really, Britax is a value when you think of your length of use.

Yes, I would agree totally if it were for us. I have two Marathons in the backseat right now :) But this is for my mom's car. She lives in another state (FL) and we fly down several times and spend a total of about 25 to 30 days a year there--4-5 long weekends and one week in the spring. I don't want to haul our car seats down there every time we go. It's me and two preschoolers on the plane and even checked they would be a total pain. The girls have to be safe--it's Florida with all the crazy drivers there ;).

We have one Evenflo and one Graco. There isn't a big difference in either of them. They both are comfortable for my 3 year old and large enough that he can grow more.

BTW - Target has a few one sale this week.

Evenflo Titan Elite Converitble Car Seat - $84

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html?asin=B000PD55NO&tag=tcom-gbexpo71-20

Eddie Bauer Deluxe High Back Booster Car Seat - $99

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html?asin=B000PBXJ52&tag=tcom-gbexpo71-20

We have one really similar to the Evenflo and my son has no complaints.

Guest JustMeDiana

I am partial to Graco. They are more reasonable than Britax and are really good quality. I've bought many Graco products and have never had a problem.

HTH

My sons were brought up with Graco products. Now that I am a grandmother of a 4 year old we all have Graco car seats in our vehicles. For the price and safety I think Graco are the best. :gd_twocen

I went w/ the graco's when she was small, due to being able to use 2+ different platforms but only needing 1 carrier that also did rear-facing and forward facing. After she passed the weight on it, went to the Alpha-Omega Elite, so far it has been great as well.

Check out ratings and reviews.....

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/babies-kids/baby-toddler/travel-gear/car-seats/car-seats-10-07/overview/seats-ov.htm?EXTKEY=SG72K00&CMP=KNC-CROBABIESG&HBX_OU=50&HBX_PK=car_seat_reviews

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/family/car-seats/index.html?refcd=GO052823s_car_seat_reviews&tsacr=GO441520522&gclid=CPzkvJTWipECFQMQlwodpWJVHA

:gdcar: ......... :gdcar: ..:gdcar:

I've always been a Graco Mommy. But I was swayed by the arguments that you should keep your child in a 5 point booster as long as possible and couldn't afford a Britax when I needed to get a new chair for my daughter. I wanted to get her a convertible but didn't want to have to get her another seat in another couple of years. So I bought her this one at Target instead:

http://www.target.com/Evenflo-Chase-Booster-Seat-Brown/dp/B000PD16RS/sr=1-5/qid=1201043789/ref=sr_1_5/601-6933844-3486550?ie=UTF8&index=target&field-browse=1038576&rh=k%3Aevenflo%20car%20seat&page=1

The reviews on here aren't that great but I have to tell you I am VERY happy with it. The cupholders and snack tray do come off rather easy (actually I think they are lost in the car right now because she pulled them off one day) but I think it is super easy to install, even moving it between cars, and she likes the pillow and padding. I LOVE LOVE LOVE being able to adjust her harness in the front. When she wears sweatshirts, I can open it a bit easily to accomodate the extra puff. And then the next day it only takes a few seconds to readjust the seat.

A BIG bonus that I was happy about was that you can use the 5 point system until 40 pounds, but then you can use the seat as a booster seat until they are 100 pounds. So this really could be the last seat I'll ever have to get her. She was 2 when I bought it and 8 when the seat expires.

This is the new 2008 model. I don't know if they offer other colors. I really really prefer not to buy black in the CA summer, but I guess if your mom keeps them covered with towels it's not THAT bad an issue... (the reviews on this website are a bit more positive)

http://www.babyage.com/products/3261833_evenflo_evenflo_chase_dlx_booster_car_seat_-2008.htm

I've always been a Graco Mommy. But I was swayed by the arguments that you should keep your child in a 5 point booster as long as possible and couldn't afford a Britax when I needed to get a new chair for my daughter. I wanted to get her a convertible but didn't want to have to get her another seat in another couple of years. So I bought her this one at Target instead:

http://www.target.com/Evenflo-Chase-Booster-Seat-Brown/dp/B000PD16RS/sr=1-5/qid=1201043789/ref=sr_1_5/601-6933844-3486550?ie=UTF8&index=target&field-browse=1038576&rh=k%3Aevenflo%20car%20seat&page=1

The reviews on here aren't that great but I have to tell you I am VERY happy with it. The cupholders and snack tray do come off rather easy (actually I think they are lost in the car right now because she pulled them off one day) but I think it is super easy to install, even moving it between cars, and she likes the pillow and padding. I LOVE LOVE LOVE being able to adjust her harness in the front. When she wears sweatshirts, I can open it a bit easily to accomodate the extra puff. And then the next day it only takes a few seconds to readjust the seat.

A BIG bonus that I was happy about was that you can use the 5 point system until 40 pounds, but then you can use the seat as a booster seat until they are 100 pounds. So this really could be the last seat I'll ever have to get her. She was 2 when I bought it and 8 when the seat expires.

This is the new 2008 model. I don't know if they offer other colors. I really really prefer not to buy black in the CA summer, but I guess if your mom keeps them covered with towels it's not THAT bad an issue... (the reviews on this website are a bit more positive)

http://www.babyage.com/products/3261833_evenflo_evenflo_chase_dlx_booster_car_seat_-2008.htm

We have Britax carseats here, but mil bought my 4 year old that same seat to use as her booster. She is still within the weight for the harness ( 37 lbs) which is great. We love the seat and I don't think it was very expensive!:)

I picked a great one up for my husband at Wal-mart for $35!!! It was the Costco and it was in the isle. They had a bunch for girls and are carseat/booster seat! I have the top rated Costco Juenile Elite in my car and this is the same just not as padded and does not have a few of the Extra features like armrests but for the price it is a great deal!!!!

I forgot to mention that we took it on an airplane and it fit in the seat wonderfully and came with a travel bag and is very lightweight and easy to carry.

I'd wait to buy them on your next trip, and take her car to the Target or Babies R Us and see what fits best. When our DD was still in a carseat (she's 13 now) we had to return several because they just didn't fit in the car properly. I liked the Gracos, she also had the 5 point harness "booster" that we used for years.

But I was swayed by the arguments that you should keep your child in a 5 point booster as long as possible

I agree and agree again!! As big of a pain that car seats are, it is worth their safety to keep them in 5 points for as long as possible. There is a very sad video out there that will show you why. Here is the link. It is very sad so be prepared. It has reminded me to always, always make sure the kids seats are installed properly and are of good quality.