Person soliciting other members to join new site (merged)

Brad

What a wuss. I just logged on to my myspace page and she removed herself from my friend section. What a b****. She has the nerve to steal all my hard work. Endless hours of work, but doesn't have the hutsbah to be confronted about it. What a slimy thing to do. What did I ever do to her? What a low life piece of trash.

What a wuss. I just logged on to my myspace page and she removed herself from my friend section. What a b****. She has the nerve to steal all my hard work. Endless hours of work, but doesn't have the hutsbah to be confronted about it. What a slimy thing to do. What did I ever do to her? What a low life piece of trash.

She took herslf off mine too.

Because the internet is so open and public, people do not consider any possibility of violating a copyright law if they take something and use it as their own.

Sorry that happened to you Miranda...people just don't think....

but is it violating copyright laws? (taking someone else's text when posted in an open public forum, and passing it off as your own) im still a bit confused by that. :confused:

Guest mldepalma

Now that this person is banned what happens can they not see anything on GottaDeal or just not the lounge?

Is there anything that can prevent someone from creating another user account - a different profile? in order to gain access to different areas?

On another note, this whole thing about "stealing" people from one board to another seems really cruddy to me. It is one thing to create a "new" message board and try to make it the best you can. "Borrowing" information (and giving credit where credit is due!) is one thing; but it is another thing to "steal". It is just plain wrong to "steal" content or members. :yuck: And I am really sad to hear that is happening.

(Of course, I'm wasn't worthy enough to be "stolen", so I guess you can take whatever I say with a grain of salt... LOL - I just needed to put my 2 cents worth in!)

I just wanted to add/clarify that I don't think there was anything wrong in those members checking out another site - especially if there was a friendship there. Absolutely nothing to feel bad or embarrassed about. I am just disappointed in whoever was/is doing the soliciting.

Edited by mldepalma
add clarification

And I doubt many of you would want to frequent a site run by such pathetic individuals as the ones who are running it :P

I know I wouldn't!!! I love it right where I'm at:yup:

How RUDE of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL....although I am curious who it was.

I think I may have figured it out. I wondered where she had gone.

Edited by christib327

Thanks for once again bringing this to our attention. Unlike the last time I posted about this, this time it was a long-time member doing this, which is even more pathetic.

They have been banned, the site name has been blocked from being posted/PMed, and I am looking into what actions I'll be taken regarding the blatant theft of our content. As someone said, they are pretty much copying and pasting many posts here in an effort to build their site without having to post anything original.

We're dealing with it.

Oh, and just in case you are curious, this other site is not worth your time. It is poorly designed, and pretty much all the content is stolen from here, so there is no reason to check it out anyway, lol. And I doubt many of you would want to frequent a site run by such pathetic individuals as the ones who are running it :P

Thanks for not being mad at us!

We were so mad to learn what they were doing! It's just wrong!

***Another note, I am checking my PMs now. It's been a long day!

Now that this person is banned what happens can they not see anything on GottaDeal or just not the lounge?

Access to the lounge is still restricted even to new members. You must meet certain requirements before you can see it.

As for the creation of a second account... That depends. But the short answer is that yes, a person could create a new account. However, they often get caught long before they have access to the Lounge area. Brad has a VERY good nose for figuring that out. As do a couple of the mods.

Is there anything that can prevent someone from creating another user account - a different profile? in order to gain access to different areas?

On another note, this whole thing about "stealing" people from one board to another seems really cruddy to me. It is one thing to create a "new" message board and try to make it the best you can. "Borrowing" information (and giving credit where credit is due!) is one thing; but it is another thing to "steal". It is just plain wrong to "steal" content or members. :yuck: And I am really sad to hear that is happening.

(Of course, I'm wasn't worthy enough to be "stolen", so I guess you can take whatever I say with a grain of salt... LOL - I just needed to put my 2 cents worth in!)

I just wanted to add/clarify that I don't think there was anything wrong in those members checking out another site - especially if there was a friendship there. Absolutely nothing to feel bad or embarrassed about. I am just disappointed in whoever was/is doing the soliciting.

I agree.... there is nothing wrong with checking out another site. I myself am a member of a couple of deal sites. Of course, I'm not nearly as active there, but occasionally I will check them out as they offer different types of deals. But to blatently tell a member of one forum that you will give them beneifits if they join you and stop posting at the other forum is just flat out wrong.

The copyright thing is really touchy. You will find differing opinions there.

It is of course site policy not to discuss banned members.

I think that user names and any accusations should be left out of this thread. If you have any information on a particular user, please forward that information on to Brad.

Most of the sub-forums they were stealing content from are available to everyone - registered or not - so aside from banning IP addresses (which I've done), there is nothing stopping them from continuing to do so, aside from maybe others calling them on it, and possibly them losing members once they learn what has been going on...

The fact is, it's extremely difficult to start a successful deal site these days. There are just too many out there and it's nearly impossible to get enough unique content to bring people to your own site. Most of the bigger deal sites were started nearly a decade ago. GD was started over 4 years ago, and it has taken a lot of work (and luck) to be as successful as we've become, and so we're going to do whatever it takes to make sure others don't come along and use the hard work of everyone here on the site, including members like Miranda who spend hours posting here each week.

I have no problem with anyone visiting other deal sites, or even creating your own. But don't steal our members, and don't steal our content. If you can't create a successful site yourself, then you really should find something else to do rather than piggyback on our success and use our hard work for your own benefit.

Thanks for not being mad at us!

Ditto

I agree.... there is nothing wrong with checking out another site. I myself am a member of a couple of deal sites. Of course, I'm not nearly as active there, but occasionally I will check them out as they offer different types of deals. But to blatantly tell a member of one forum that you will give them benefits if they join you and stop posting at the other forum is just flat out wrong.

The copyright thing is really touchy. You will find differing opinions there.

That and the stealing is what I had a problem with they stole everything and I mean everything they even named their members only "the lounge" and the survey posts are Miranda's every last thing was just copied and pasted WTH :curse:

Well i am glad that the people are banned but if you take many of the new deals posted throw them in the yahoo or google search bar they are still being taken word for word to other sites and I am not sure you can stop this unless either all the forums are only viewed by members or we get the gottadeal police to ban folks either way the traffic is still coming here and the site is still rocking!

And awesome job members for turning in the pathetic ones!

i jusst thought of something...even though "some people" -no one in particular- have been banned......they still are able to access the site using their family members computer..... or are they?

and i do agree with rockfordmom....about registering to access other parts of this site.

i jusst thought of something...even though "some people" -no one in particular- have been banned......they still are able to access the site using their family members computer..... or are they?

and i do agree with rockfordmom....about registering to access other parts of this site.

ang I am sure that Brad has taken all of the precautions.

ang I am sure that Brad has taken all of the precautions.

Correct. Accounts have been banned. IP addresses have been banned as well.

We are not going to make any more forums closed to the public right now. That wouldn't help as it is easy enough to get around these things if you try hard enough.

There are TONS of other freebie sites (most of them are crizzap if you ask me) and even I visit some other freebie sites occasionally, I think most of us check out other deal sites at least sometimes, but why would they not want people posting here anymore? Why would anybody care? A lot of the freebies and deals posted are posted all over the internet anyways. Even when stuff is posted here first it gets copied to other sites. Edited by Rockfordmom

That site won't last. All ready, in the very beginning, they can't even come up with anything new and/or original. If at launch they have only stolen material, a terribly ugly site layout, no idea how to run the very basic community run projects we have here (i.e. coupon trains) admin and mods that are sleazy and sneaky in the way they deal with people, some people they once called friends, what kind of "business" can they "run"? They won't have any kind of solid user base. Why go to a place that can't even be called 3rd rate, deal with people of their moral fiber, and whose information is coming from sites that are doing it right. Are first rate. That have a stable, loyal user base that cares about each other the way we do here? There is no reason to go there. In a few months when that site is in the toilet those people will be choking on their own arrogance. The knife wounds in our backs will have long since healed while the reality of what they have done slaps them in the face. Having completely burned all their bridges here they will have to go contaminate another site. If another site will have them. Word spreads fast. If they were willing to stab us in the back they will have no problem doing it again to another site.

I think we've all given this site more attention than they deserve, so I'm going to close the thread for now.

Please please please: if anyone ever contacts you about another site similar to the way this was done, please contact myself or one of the sitewide mods immediately so we can take whatever action is needed as soon as possible. Even if you don't think it is that serious, we'd still like to know about it. And if anyone has anything else to let me know about this particular situation, please PM me.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this matter. I greatly appreciate it :)