Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

~*~ I Have A Contest or Sweepstakes QUESTION Thread

542 replies to this topic

#61 Marian2007  OFFLINE  

Marian2007

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jun 8, 2007 - 9:54 am

some of the size format s make it hard for the computer to detect duplicate words

#62 arress  OFFLINE  

arress

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 11, 2007 - 5:51 am

Quick question...are you always notified of a win...or do some items just show up at your home?? Do you usually get a email saying you won or a phone call..

#63 MandaJo111  OFFLINE  

MandaJo111

Proud Army Wife!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 11, 2007 - 9:26 am

I know I have had wins just show up at my home...completely out of the blue. Also, if they are larger prizes that require an affidavit, I have heard some people on here have the affidavit show up at the house out of the blue. Sometimes you get emails or phone calls, it really depends on the contest. Often the info on this is in the rules of each contest -- stating how they contact the winner -- often, but not always.
Amanda
:usaribbon :usflag: :gdmilitary:
Proud Army Wife and Mommy to DS8 Layne, DD4 Ashlee, and DD2 Madison!

#64 arress  OFFLINE  

arress

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 11, 2007 - 10:06 am

Thanks..I was reading about ways to prevent getting ripped off and one of warnings was for sweepstake offers..so I was curious.

#65 happysunshine28  OFFLINE  

happysunshine28

• 4,316 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 11, 2007 - 12:15 pm

Quick question...are you always notified of a win...or do some items just show up at your home??

Do you usually get a email saying you won or a phone call..

Something to remember, the only way to win is to enter so if you didnt enter then its most likely a hoax.

I get oodles of those hoax emails daily saying I won.

#66 MandaJo111  OFFLINE  

MandaJo111

Proud Army Wife!

• 1,806 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 11, 2007 - 12:50 pm

Something to remember, the only way to win is to enter so if you didnt enter then its most likely a hoax.

I get oodles of those hoax emails daily saying I won.

That is a very good point. I know what ones I enter though...and throw out ones I didn't. I get them practically daily.
Amanda

#67 Kash58  OFFLINE  

Kash58

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jun 12, 2007 - 8:53 am

To expand on the question of winning....here is the deal, the other day my phone rang and I thought it was just another telemarketer, so I didn't answer it; well when I checked to see who it was the caller id said "Winners" they didn't leave a message and did not call back either. So did I miss the big one? Do they usually call back or contact you by e-mail then or what? I better start answering my phone I guess. :bonk:

#68 happysunshine28  OFFLINE  

happysunshine28

• 4,316 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 12, 2007 - 5:49 pm

To expand on the question of winning....here is the deal, the other day my phone rang and I thought it was just another telemarketer, so I didn't answer it; well when I checked to see who it was the caller id said "Winners" they didn't leave a message and did not call back either. So did I miss the big one? Do they usually call back or contact you by e-mail then or what? I better start answering my phone I guess. :bonk:

I have never got a winning call so I cant answer that question. I think answering would be the best way to make sure you dont miss any, you can always hang up on telemarketers or get a airhorn, lol.

#69 rnm156  OFFLINE  

rnm156

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 12, 2007 - 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kash58 To expand on the question of winning....here is the deal, the other day my phone rang and I thought it was just another telemarketer, so I didn't answer it; well when I checked to see who it was the caller id said "Winners" they didn't leave a message and did not call back either. So did I miss the big one? Do they usually call back or contact you by e-mail then or what? I better start answering my phone I guess. When I won the Canadian Club Indy 500 sweepstakes last month I received a phone call on my answering machine from the independent company that picked my name telling me I won with a call back number and contact person to call and also they were sending an overnight UPS affidavit which I received the next day.That was a big win,but I also had the UPS drop off stuff I won but didn't know...Those are nice too. P.S I have my home phone on the do not call list.That shouldn't stop calls getting in from winning contests.I hope that helps you.

#70 Kash58  OFFLINE  

Kash58

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jun 12, 2007 - 6:40 pm

Happy you're too funny...I need a bullhorn with some of these strange people that call here trying to get me to buy Dish Network and who knows what else....good grief, but it figures when I don't answer the caller ID says WINNERS. This sounds kind of dumb as I type it but do they ever call 2 times? LMBO.

rnm That was great that they left you a message, you would think that they would ,and not just go on to the next winner. geeesh... and yeah I have had a couple things show up on my doorstep and didn't really know where they came from , I love when the mail comes. I just got a new mailman and yesterday he brought the mail, and then made a second trip,......parked the mail truck right out in the street and knocked on the door to hand me my goodies...... (was a great moment) :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

#71 MandaJo111  OFFLINE  

MandaJo111

Proud Army Wife!

• 1,806 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 12, 2007 - 6:58 pm

What was the phone number that showed up on the caller ID?
Amanda

#72 Kash58  OFFLINE  

Kash58

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jun 12, 2007 - 7:29 pm

ok...here's the number but if you get ahold of anybody tell them to call me back ok??? :yup: ;) I don't have long distance service on my phone and unfortunately it wasn't an 800 number so I couldn't call them back. The number was 1-913-529-2965;)

#73 MandaJo111  OFFLINE  

MandaJo111

Proud Army Wife!

• 1,806 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 12, 2007 - 7:50 pm

ok...here's the number but if you get ahold of anybody tell them to call me back ok??? :yup: ;)
I don't have long distance service on my phone and unfortunately it wasn't an 800 number so I couldn't call them back.

The number was 1-913-529-2965;)

Ok no worries it is telemarketers.... check out this site http://whocalled.us/lookup/9135292965
Amanda

#74 Kash58  OFFLINE  

Kash58

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jun 12, 2007 - 8:05 pm

WOW what an awesome site!...Thanks again Amanda, I saved that one to my favorites!!! I love GottaDeal, you guys are GREAT, someone always has the answer,:bow: :gdthankyou:

#75 MandaJo111  OFFLINE  

MandaJo111

Proud Army Wife!

• 1,806 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 12, 2007 - 8:16 pm

WOW what an awesome site!...Thanks again Amanda,
I saved that one to my favorites!!!
I love GottaDeal, you guys are GREAT, someone always has the answer,:bow: :gdthankyou:

Not a problem. I use that site all the time. I hate when people call when I am not home and don't leave a message. Especially with all of the sweepstakes and surveys I enter from here. So I am always looking something up. :) Another handy site is http://anywho.com/rl.html you can type in the phone number and do a reverse look up to find out who called (but only if the number is listed).
Amanda

#76 darkzone  OFFLINE  

darkzone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 21, 2007 - 8:04 am

I hate caffeine games my self....has any body actually won any thing from 'em...i'm thinking of dumping 'em...

#77 happysunshine28  OFFLINE  

happysunshine28

• 4,316 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jun 21, 2007 - 12:01 pm

I hate caffeine games my self....has any body actually won any thing from 'em...i'm thinking of dumping 'em...

I dont do them unless I am bored, I mean really really bored.

#78 jdoug  OFFLINE  

jdoug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 22, 2007 - 10:48 am

Is there a way to know if a new contest is posted? I used to just look at the ones in bold type when I logged in, but now so many people are posting no wins and thanks, that a new contest can be bumped 2 pages back sometimes.

#79 arress  OFFLINE  

arress

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jun 22, 2007 - 10:53 am

Too bad we can't have a couple of separate forums..one for instant wins and one for general entries..it would cut down a bit on that JDoug..

#80 happysunshine28  OFFLINE  

happysunshine28

• 4,316 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 5, 2007 - 4:21 pm

I have been in a little slump lately and I am finding it hard to keep entering all the sweeps, usually I will do it for a while them get tired of doing them and quit, does anyone have any advice to give me and others who may be going thru something similar to keep us motivated. I have tried telling myself if I dont enter I cant win but that isnt working.

#81 arress  OFFLINE  

arress

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 5, 2007 - 5:59 pm

I am new to it so its fun and exciting to me.. Maybe just do the instant gratification ones..IWG for awhile only??

#82 conj  OFFLINE  

conj

WHats My function, you ask?

• 8,311 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 5, 2007 - 6:02 pm

there was a while I did the Eprize ones... you could just fly through the Eprize page...
Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!

Knowledge does not dissolve integrity - Conj

#83 LPaigeE  OFFLINE  

LPaigeE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jul 5, 2007 - 7:28 pm

Ok no worries it is telemarketers.... check out this site http://whocalled.us/lookup/9135292965

Genius. Thanks!

#84 DaisyPug  OFFLINE  

DaisyPug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 5, 2007 - 8:31 pm

I have been in a little slump lately and I am finding it hard to keep entering all the sweeps, usually I will do it for a while them get tired of doing them and quit, does anyone have any advice to give me and others who may be going thru something similar to keep us motivated. I have tried telling myself if I dont enter I cant win but that isnt working.

It can be pretty disheartening when you roam around other boards and see all the people blatantly cheating to win these games. That takes prizes away from the people who play fairly, and it really gets to me.
But considering the short time I've been playing instant win games I have won quite a few prizes. And I consider myself blessed just to win anything.
When I get into a slump I just think about all of the prizes that I've won so far. My brother still plays with the Rubik's cube I gave him, and pretty soon we'll be able to play with the vollyball set I won. :)

And it's not like you're never going to win again. Just stick with it and sooner or later you'll win a prize that just makes your day!

#85 Kara1204  OFFLINE  

Kara1204

Think Pink!

• 1,235 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 5, 2007 - 8:32 pm

Is there a way to know if a new contest is posted? I used to just look at the ones in bold type when I logged in, but now so many people are posting no wins and thanks, that a new contest can be bumped 2 pages back sometimes.

I thought I was the only one who was frustrated by that. There are like 6 people who post "eft" or "nwt" every time they play a game, and all that does is bump it to the top. So, the post "appears" to be new when it is not. I LOVE to see posts of people winning, that just gives us hope that there is a chance of winning a particular game, but do we really need to see eft and nwt from people all the time?????:gdenough:
All those who wander are not lost.........

#86 DaisyPug  OFFLINE  

DaisyPug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 5, 2007 - 8:54 pm

I've noticed that too but there's a reason for it. When you post on a thread it puts a blue dot next to the name of the thread. It's easier to scan the contests if you can immediately see which ones you've already entered from the main page. The "thanks" button doesn't give you that blue dot. Is there any way to fix that? There are also people who post multiple times on the same thread. I can't really think of a reason for that, unless they don't have their games bookmarked and just go down each page every day. :confused:

#87 happysunshine28  OFFLINE  

happysunshine28

• 4,316 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 5, 2007 - 9:18 pm

A little clarification, every now and then I put "eft" on the post to bump foward the daily sweeps to make it easier to enter them and not have to weed thru the 1X's that have been on here for a while. I assume that others post to a thread because they want the thread bumped also and I dont see a reason not to. I dont have the sweeps bookmarked, I use this forum to enter the sweeps. I dont know of a way to see what is new or not except for the dot.

#88 elena_398  OFFLINE  

elena_398

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,721 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jul 5, 2007 - 9:57 pm

I always enter the sweeps at least a few times (the enter daily ones). After that if its a small prize or something I wouldn't use, then I skip it after entering for a few times. (like a tote bag or soap or something along those lines. IWG I play daily but thats about it. If it wasn't for the syntec IWG, I'd be in a slump too. lol. 4 t-shirts from them and 10 downloads between my email and my husbands. I've gotten all the shirts. My husband loves them

#89 conj  OFFLINE  

conj

WHats My function, you ask?

• 8,311 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 6, 2007 - 1:04 am

I've noticed that too but there's a reason for it. When you post on a thread it puts a blue dot next to the name of the thread. It's easier to scan the contests if you can immediately see which ones you've already entered from the main page.
The "thanks" button doesn't give you that blue dot. Is there any way to fix that?

There are also people who post multiple times on the same thread. I can't really think of a reason for that, unless they don't have their games bookmarked and just go down each page every day. :confused:

I don't bookmark most of the contests. I am too lazy, I'd never clean out the bookmarks when things expire. So, I tend to post regularly (not every time) an 'entered' or 'no win'.

In addition, I regularly use 3 different computers in a day... I would have to keep the bookmarks on all 3... and remember - that is the hard part - remember what I've already done that day.

This way I get to use GD as my bookmarks. I love that elena brings to my attention contests that are ending, and Happy bumps threads so I can see stuff I've missed, or forgotten.

Perhaps we can add a column "date started" so we can sort by that. Sometimes I sort based on who posted the thread originally.
Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!

Knowledge does not dissolve integrity - Conj

#90 MandaJo111  OFFLINE  

MandaJo111

Proud Army Wife!

• 1,806 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 6, 2007 - 1:20 am

I like the "date posted" column idea. I do also agree about the blue dot for "thanks" responses. I like to know for freebies if I have signed up for them without going into the thread itself. The dot showing up for clicking thanks would help a lot in that area as well.
Amanda

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users