$299 Laptop Setup

miller205

Ok, so I am a complete dummy...I bought the $299 Compaq Laptop on BF and was conned into the Firedog Optimization but went back and got refunded for that a couple of days later when I realized that I had been conned. Anyway, I have not even opened the box yet as it is a gift for DD17 for Christmas. I would like to get it up and running as much as possible for Christmas morning. Can anyone tell me what I have to do? Will I have to get it loaded with everything or are computers now preloaded? It has been about 4 years since I purchased my last new computer, a Dell desktop so I am pretty rusty. TIA

When you start it up for the first time, you will go through a 10 minute set-up process. Once you get through, it will be ready to go. It is slow with the 1GB, it normally takes close to 2 minutes to start-up. Recommend getting it up to 2Gb of RAM as soon as possible. Once, you get it online, there are some Vista updates to be done too. Mine is running nicely. I love mine and you can't beat the price.

I have another question: the rebate form says to send a copy of the receipt along with a copy of the UPC from the box. I see a few UPC's on my box (and BTW how in hell do they want me to photo copy that. I guess I have to peel off the stickers and pray they don't rip?)

I have another question: the rebate form says to send a copy of the receipt along with a copy of the UPC from the box. I see a few UPC's on my box (and BTW how in hell do they want me to photo copy that. I guess I have to peel off the stickers and pray they don't rip?)

The best way to do this is to use a blade to cut around the UPC, but not all the way through the box. Then, put the blade under a corner of the UPC and pry up a little. Peel with your fingers from the corner, and the UPC should come up along with the first layer of cardboard from the box.

I use this technique all the time. It keeps the box and UPC in tact.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
DD LOVED the laptop!!! She was so happy and it took nothing to set up. I am a computer dummy but the Netgear wireless router I got at Staples on sale was so easy I pretty much accidentally got it going!! Whatever, at least it is working. It ended up that I didn't even take the thing out of the box so when she saw it for the first time so did I. I was amazed at what a nice model it is. Wish I had gotten one for myself now too!! DH was drooling with envy!

The best way to do this is to use a blade to cut around the UPC, but not all the way through the box. Then, put the blade under a corner of the UPC and pry up a little. Peel with your fingers from the corner, and the UPC should come up along with the first layer of cardboard from the box.

I use this technique all the time. It keeps the box and UPC in tact.

Hope that helps.

this is the technique we used when i worked at CC to take the UPC off for customers for rebates.