1 pound ground pork sausage

1 teaspoon mustard powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 eggs, beaten

2 cups milk

6 slices white bread, toasted and cut into cubes

8 ounces mild Cheddar cheese, shredded

DIRECTIONS

Crumble sausage into a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown; drain.

In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs and milk. Add the sausage, bread cubes, and cheese, and stir to coat evenly. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Cover, and bake 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover, and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until set.

I have been making this casserole for years! Take a 9 x 13 baking dish and spray with PAM. Take two cans of cresent rolls and lay them flat in the pan, making like a pie crust (but not up the edges-just on the bottom). Fry up some bacon, and sausage and even some diced ham. Crumble up the bacon and sausge. Scramble up about 10 eggs and one can of French Onion soup. Take your meats and put ontop of the rolls, then add your egg mixture, top with about 2-3 cups of shredded monterray jack cheese. Cover and put in the fridge over night (this is a must). Christmas morning take it out and bake it @350 for about 45 minutes. I usually cover mine to cut down on the browning of the cheese and about the last 10 minutes uncover it. My 16 year old daughter who literally gags at onions absolutely loves it. Plus you can make it the day before so you don't have to be in the kitchen Christmas morning. About 1/2 way through opening gifts I pop it in the oven. This is out of this world, my daughter loves this as much as her presents!!! Give it a try!!

I like the french toast casserole but after 15 years....I would like to try something new!

Here is my French Toast Casserole Recipe:

6 cups bread cubes

5 eggs

1 1/2 cups milk

1/4 cup white sugar, divided

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon margarine, softened

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 tablespoons of maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter an 8x8 inch baking pan.

Line bottom of pan with bread cubes. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, 2 tablespoons sugar, syrup, salt and vanilla. pour egg mixture over bread. Dot with margarine; let stand for 10 minutes.

Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle over the top. Bake in preheated oven about 45 to 50 minutes, until top is golden

I got this from a co-worker and loved it (I'm not big on eggs in breakfast casseroles):

2 cans crescent rolls (not the jumbo kind)

1 lb sausage

8 oz cream cheese, softened and cubed

Brown sausage and drain.

Mix the cream cheese into the sausage.

Unroll one can of crescent rolls and lay in the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 pan.

Spoon the sausage and cream cheese mixture over the layer of crescent rolls.

Unroll and place the 2nd can of crescent rolls over the sausage/cream cheese mixture.

Bake @ 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.

I have been making this casserole for years! Take a 9 x 13 baking dish and spray with PAM. Take two cans of cresent rolls and lay them flat in the pan, making like a pie crust (but not up the edges-just on the bottom). Fry up some bacon, and sausage and even some diced ham. Crumble up the bacon and sausge. Scramble up about 10 eggs and one can of French Onion soup. Take your meats and put ontop of the rolls, then add your egg mixture, top with about 2-3 cups of shredded monterray jack cheese. Cover and put in the fridge over night (this is a must). Christmas morning take it out and bake it @350 for about 45 minutes. I usually cover mine to cut down on the browning of the cheese and about the last 10 minutes uncover it. My 16 year old daughter who literally gags at onions absolutely loves it. Plus you can make it the day before so you don't have to be in the kitchen Christmas morning. About 1/2 way through opening gifts I pop it in the oven. This is out of this world, my daughter loves this as much as her presents!!! Give it a try!!

We make something similar to this, but we just do sausage instead of all the meats (but your version sounds YUM!). We also add some hashbrowns - we buy the kind in the freezer/refrigerator section that aren't pre-cooked, and add the cheese into the egg mixture instead of going on top. I hadn't yet figured out what I'm doing for Christmas breakfast, but you've just helped me! Thank you!! (I'll be adding bacon pieces to it this year!)

this is what we make...

Christmas Breakfast Sausage Casserole

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 eggs, beaten

2 cups milk

DIRECTIONS

Crumble sausage into a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown; drain.

In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs and milk. Add the sausage, bread cubes, and cheese, and stir to coat evenly. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.

Cover, and bake 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover, and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until set.

we make this too but last year it was really dry! But I still love it!

I make two breakfast quiches each Christmas morning.

One is spinach and tomato Quiche and the other usually ham and cheese (leftover ham from christmas eve dinner!) I have also done this with bacon and/or sausage.

Spinach quiche

frozen pie crust - deep dish

1 box frozen chopped spinach

1- 2 cup bag of mexican blend cheese

6 x-large eggs

1 tomato

1 small can Mushrooms - optional

defrost and drain all excess water from spinach

line the bottom of the pie crust with the spinach

sprinkle a layer of cheese on top of spinach

layer the mushrooms on the cheese

slice tomato thinly and lay on top of mushroom layer

beat the eggs and pour evenly over the filling

add the remaining cheese on top and bake at 400 until the egg/filling is firm and cheese is browned.

ITs the same for the Ham and cheese quiche, just substitute the spinach for chopped ham.

How about a hashbrown casserole? I don't have a recipe in front of me, but a search on any of the recipe sites should bring up several of them. Basically, it's frozen hashbrowns, cream of (whatever) soup, shredded cheese, and a cracker crumb (or cornflake) topping. I put it all together the night before, stick it in the fridge, then put it in the oven Christmas morning one hour before we're ready to eat. Tastes just like the one at Cracker Barrel!! ;)

How about a hashbrown casserole? I don't have a recipe in front of me, but a search on any of the recipe sites should bring up several of them. Basically, it's frozen hashbrowns, cream of (whatever) soup, shredded cheese, and a cracker crumb (or cornflake) topping. I put it all together the night before, stick it in the fridge, then put it in the oven Christmas morning one hour before we're ready to eat. Tastes just like the one at Cracker Barrel!! ;)

OOh I have had this before it is so good. I really need the recipe. I will do the search now:cheesy:

We do monkey bread sometimes- easy and good!

What's monkey bread?

We normally get fresh bagels & bialli's (sp?) and have them with scrapple & eggs. I don't know what we'll do this year though, apparently bialli's and scrapple are regional things. I ordered some to be shipped here, but don't think it'll make it in time for Christmas! :(

This one is easier as you make it up the night before.

Sticky Buns Recipes

Ingredients:

18 frozen rolls - like Richs yeast rolls

4 tablespoons dry butterscotch pudding mix

1/2 cup melted butter

2 tablespoons cinnamon

1/2 cup brown sugar

Chopped nuts

Directions:

Place frozen rolls in buttered bundt pan.

Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons dry butterscotch pudding mix (not instant).

Mix melted butter, cinnamon, brown sugar and nuts Pour butter mixture over rolls. Cover with foil and let set overnight. Do not refrigerate. In the morning, bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and invert to plate or 13x9 pan.

I guess I make my monkey bread the cheater way- I get a thing of Grands biscuits, divide them up into pieces, (tear the biscuit in half, then each half in about thirds), roll the pieces of biscuit into balls, roll that in melted butter, then into a sugar/cinnamon mixture, place into Pam sprayed pan (I use my bundt pan and it works great), then bake on the biscuit pan temperature until it looks done!

I guess I make my monkey bread the cheater way- I get a thing of Grands biscuits, divide them up into pieces, (tear the biscuit in half, then each half in about thirds), roll the pieces of biscuit into balls, roll that in melted butter, then into a sugar/cinnamon mixture, place into Pam sprayed pan (I use my bundt pan and it works great), then bake on the biscuit pan temperature until it looks done!

That the way I do it too.

I use the 4 pack of reg. biscuits, and cut them in quarters.

We normally get fresh bagels & bialli's (sp?) and have them with scrapple & eggs. I don't know what we'll do this year though, apparently bialli's and scrapple are regional things. I ordered some to be shipped here, but don't think it'll make it in time for Christmas! :(

samisma-- what is/are bialli's?

Yes, I believe scrapple is a regional thing, although I think it covers a fairly large region (unlike goetta, which is somewhat similar, but only found in the Cincy area). I've found goetta recipes online, so you may be able to find recipes for scrapple (and/or bialli's) there, too! :)

Meanwhile, there are some interesting southwest regional foods you may want to consider-- have you ever tried chorizo (sp?) or Indian tacos? Chorizo is a spicy sausage (a favorite of my ex in-laws in Mesa), and Indian tacos are sort of like gorditos: Indian fry bread with refried beans and other taco toppings (I had one at an international fair in Oklahoma about 10 yrs ago). Oh, and a REAL sopapilla (sp?)-- thick fry bread with plenty of air bubbles, then cinnamon sugar and honey drizzled over the top-- yummy!!

For samisma and anyone else considering trying new regional dishes: try out local restaurants known to serve good regional fare. They may not want to share their exact recipes with you, but I've found most "hometown" restaurants don't have a problem with sharing general info about their dishes... at least enough to know if the recipes you find are anything similar! LOL

Sorry if I've gotten OT-- just wanted to share some suggestions! :)

This is what I do.

I take those pre done pie crust. (pillsbury in the biscuit section -2 per box)

1 lb hot sausage uncooked (we like hot you can use mild)

1 cup cheese

2 eggs

1/4 cup onions (green or white, if you like)

mix like a meatloaf then roll up in one flatten pie shell (like a jelly roll)

cook on 350 25-30 minutes serve with mustard or jelly.

see I think that's the HARD way! too much work! lol

this is what we make...

Christmas Breakfast Sausage Casserole

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 eggs, beaten

2 cups milk

DIRECTIONS

This sounds a lot like mine. I have not pulled out the recipe card yet. But need to soon!

I make this a couple times a yr

10 eggs

1 pint cottage cheese

1lb montery jack cheese shredded

1 sm can green chilis

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup melted butter

1/2 cup flour

melt butter in a 13x9 baking dish

beat eggs until lemon color then mix in the remaining ingrediants bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 mins then let sit for 30 mins-cut into squares and serve

this can be made the night before and you can add in cooked sausage,ham etc...

This is what I do.

I take those pre done pie crust. (pillsbury in the biscuit section -2 per box)

1 lb hot sausage uncooked (we like hot you can use mild)

1 cup cheese

2 eggs

1/4 cup onions (green or white, if you like)

mix like a meatloaf then roll up in one flatten pie shell (like a jelly roll)

cook on 350 25-30 minutes serve with mustard or jelly.

Can I prepare this the night before?