Do you give gifts to people you don't like?

abentley

Seriously!!!! Do you really enjoy all the people on your gift giving list? And if not, how do you deal with it? I realized today how many gifts I give, and how many I actually enjoy to give.

Hey, Santa had a list of "naughty & nice", Why does it apply to kids, and not adults?

Yea, I send something to BIL (DH's brother). We make it small and about half the cost of everyone elses.

We send them an ornament every year. That way it is in and out of halmark in 5 minutes and done. I refuse to put any more thought than that into the jerks present.

If DH had his way we wouldn't send anything. But for some reason I feel we should since we buy for my two bothers, two SIL, two nephews, my parents, his parents and his sister.

Last year I didn't like the teacher my daughter had. She made the whole year tough for her, keep in mind, my little girl was in kindergarten. I refused to buy her anything. I didn't feel bad at all. Thank goodness my little girl has a fabulous first grade teacher!!! Something very special going her way.

Every year I buy presents for my husband's brother and his kids (7 people total). They never buy a gift for anyone. I had a really hard time buying stuff this year after he and his friend (both are my bosses) screwed me over at work and sold me to another company to do the work for 3 businesses for minimum wage, and they get free phone/cable/internet for doing NOTHING. I'd quit, but with my hubby being out of work, and us having 2 little ones, we'd be completely screwed.

But yes, I unfortunately buy gifts for people I don't like and for those I feel don't deserve anything (out of guilt). My husband doesn't want to do it next year. And I am kinda leaning that way, too.

I know it is the spirit of giving, and it is better to give than recieve...I just think it is funny that it seems a lot of people actually go through this!! Do you think the person "getting" the gift likes it, or cares if you give them one? I personally don't bring gifts into my home from people I don't like!!

no i don't give to people i don't like, lol half the time i don't give to the ones i do. i give to the kids. but last yr when my dd fathers girlfriend bought a gift for my dd i mailed it back to her unopen still wrapped. theres a reason i did that. he had other girlfriends that gave gifts that i let my dd keep. at the time she was causing him problems to come over to visit. so i can't stand her nore will i let her play 2 face with my kids.

yes... it's the "reason for season" ....... I get a little something.....nothing major, maybe under $5....LOL The thought that counts.;)

PS: I hate my older DS teacher (I have never butt heads with a teacher before but this one.....:mad:UGH!!), but we did buy her a gift... it't the right thing to do;).

It depends on the situation and the reason I dislike someone that could still be on my list. A few years ago we had some family that basically thought we "owed" them gifts at the holidays so we used the "we just can't afford this and are no longer going to be able to do gifts for anyone but our children" It's not been an issue since. The first year they still sent some gifts (although cheesy) to our kids and we ignored them. It's been wonderful to not buy for people we don't care for that much.

On the other hand I buy for my staff at work and I don't like all of them, but I can't leave just a couple of them out either. So in that situation I do. Also in DH's family we do a name draw and I cringe if I get a certain name or if they get mine..... but I do it in that case because the rest of the family can't watch me put that one name back. LOL..... The last couple of year's we've been lucky on that and got ones we want to buy for so that is good.

I also don't like having gifts from someone I don't care for. And normally it's a two way street so the gift is not something I would even enjoy because there is no thought put into it and then it either goes back to the store or I give it to someone that would appreciate it. I do have a relative that if they were to send a gift I would return it unopened though.