Sending Cookies to BIL in Iraq

DanelleR

Im hoping someone here will know the answer to this. My BIL is in the Army serving in Baghdad, Iraq. Before he left, I promised him I would send him Christmas cookies in his Christmas package. Well, my MIL told me Friday that they told her NOT to send perishable items right now. I REALLY want to send him cookies especially because I PROMISED him I would send him some. Im going to send his package today or tomorrow in hopes that he will get it before Christmas. Sooooooo, should I send cookies or not????

My brother is also currently in Iraq and I just sent him 2 boxes on Friday filled with homemade goodies. That's all he was asking for! I made sure to send alot because he likes to share with his buddies. He said some of the guys never get anything from anyone:(. Well my brother is spoiled and has all kinds of family and friends sending him goodies so he will share the welth with his friends. I also went to Wal-mart and got the candy canes filled with m&m's and runts for a $1 for a little extra christmas feeling! Oh, and I love that the flat rate boxes can ship there also for 8.95 so I filled two of those to the top with candy, cookies, fugde and puppy chow! HTH:)

FYI My mom sent him a package last week and he had it in 6 days!

My Brother recieves his packages in less than a week. If you send the package soon, I'm sure it won't be a problem. My Mom is sending him homemade goodies this week. All made with butter to help them stay fresh.

Be sure to label the box PERISHABLE in big bold letters all over the box. It seems to help the packages arrive faster.

Even if he gets them late. He will still LOVE the package and be very, very Happy!

Happy Holidays!

Did your BIL just get to Iraq? If so that is why they are saying not to send perishable items. For the first month or so they are still setting up, getting the previous unit out and getting their mail going like normal. Therefore it can take twice as long to get items. When my husband first got there they said it would take much longer. However, it did not take near as long as they said it would. It was maybe 10 days and I sent a package the day they gave out the address.

That said, I send care packages to my husband every week (except right now cause he is home on R&R :) ). They always have home made rice krispy treats, cookies, etc. in them. I send the flat rate boxes through priority mail and they have taken as long as 9 days and as short as 3 days (yes I said 3 days--not sure how they got there so quick though). The average is about 6 days though.

I originally vacuumed sealed every package of cookies, but if you do it that way, don't suck out the air -- it is great to seal it tight, but the ones with no air did not taste right he said. I started just using zip lock bags. For cookies I put two or three in a small bag for rice krispys one large one. That way they stay fresh longer.

This time of year chocolate is fine to send as well. Now through February is the best time for that actually.

Another hint to keep the cookies extra soft and fresh is to put a couple of pieces of bread in the package with the cookies. Be sure to put a piece of parchment or wax paper in between the cookies and the bread though. The bread will be dry and hard by the time he gets the cookies but the cookies will be soft and pretty fresh.

With them saying not to send perishable items DH thinks it is a mail delay. If you seal them (with air) in the vacuum bags they should be good to go. However, with perishable items, be sure to send them priority mail.

I hope that helps. :)