I have a new charitable cause.. please read

amyers12345

I picked an ornament for a senior male at my local walmart. His wish was so sad " A gift certificate to a local restaurant so I can take my wife out to breakfast". I ended up getting him three certifcates to three different breakfast places, I got him some socks, gloves, SF candy, hat, grocery certificate. And then for his wife I got her some gloves, socks, slipper socks, SF candy and left that unwrapped in his gift bag with some flat wrap, tags, tape so he could see the gifts and wrap them himself for his wife.

Well I called the nursing home and they told me that they take care of the patients that don't have immediate family. So I asked if the patients though need anything. Believe it or not the number one thing that they would like donated was Depends/ undergarments.

This is so weird..... Today after going to Walmart, I decided to go into Village Discount outlet. Well guess what they had on the shelves... Depends and other off brand undergarments (big packs) for only $2. I bought EVERY one they had. Came out to over $30 but I didn't care. Its items like that, that you wouldn't realize they needed so badly. I will run them over tomorrow with my kids. How ironic is that?

I called our local nursing home today and the lady told me that have been very blessed and 3 local organizations volunteered in September to buy for the people without families and one is buying something forever resident. She said there are so many people that don't have anyone she is glad at Christmas they will all feeled loved.

I'm loving this! My quilting buddies and I make lap quilts and knit socks for one of our local nursing homes. We change homes every year or two so that as many people get something as possible. Usually around Christmastime my Mom and I (she's a hairdresser, so has access to the good stuff for cheap) will fill up baskets of shampoo, conditioner, lotions, soaps, etc and take them to her local NH. We figured that there were tons of organizations to cater to children this time of year, and everyone is always excited to buy stuff for little kids (me too!) but the older folks are kind of forgotten about. I know it's appreciated, we've had several family members touched this way and they are bewildered that someone that didn't know them would bring something. It really is a big deal to them.

I am overwhelmed by your responses!!! I am so excited, even if I have encouraged one person to help, I have accomplished more than I ever have dreamed of.

We were able to adopt another woman at work today. The nursing home called with a new patient that hasn't been adopted. She would like a jogging suit and a teddy bear.

I am going to write to the newspapers over the weekend. It takes so little to give so much.

Another idea, for Mary, my lady that lives at home. My parents have offered to purchase laundry detergent, soap, shampoo, toilet paper, etc. Necessities are always welcomed, and much appreciated.

Thanks again guys, and I hope you are getting as much joy out of this season as my family is. It feels so wonderful touch someone in this way.

One of the men from the nursing home that I was adopting for Christmas has passed away they called me today and asked me if I would please take someone else because they are so short on donors this year.

I was able to pick up just about everything for James, blanket, toiletries, shoes and candy. I still need to find a jogging suit for him and I am iffy about some white t-shirts.

I had already picked up most of the things for Larry before he passed away, some I can pass on to the Ken, the guy they just gave me others I am just going to leave with them at the home...I don't have the heart to return it so I am sure that they can find someone to use it.

This need has truly touched my heart.

Guest vhjetski81
Growing up, my family owned a nursing home. I know first-hand how hard it is seeing these older people with no one caring for them. I can still remember the joy you could see in their eyes when different school/church groups would come to sing and bring goodies. I always had tons of "adopted" grandparents and tried to get/make them all something every year. Each year we would have a resident party that the families would come to. Me, my brother, and our cousins would always site with the ones that didn't have anyone. I used to love all of the stories they would tell. Another important thing to remember is that these people still need attention throughout the year and not just at Christmas.