>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL PHOTO FRAME Discussion Thread <<<

Marcster

Will you be buying a digital photo frame this year? (for yourself or others)  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buying a digital photo frame this year? (for yourself or others)

• I already have enough of them, so *NO*.
    • I have *NO* plans on buying one.
    • I plan to only buy one for MYSELF.
    • I plan to only buy one (or more) for OTHERS.
    • I plan to buy one for MYSELF and for OTHERS as a gift.
    • I don't like pictures.

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking for a decent one for under $100 w/o MIR for a while. Have you ever stood in line for Radio Shack?

There are never lines at my RS. I usually hit it after Staples and always get what I want. I stopped in there tonight and was told they have a *lot* of these. The girl said there was no limit on quantity. The frame looks amazing. It's high resolution, the colors were nice, and the frame was attractive. The controls were intuitive and it comes with a remote. I'll get one or two.

Here is a web site with info on the frame...

http://smartpartsproducts.com/content/index.php

The RS frame is SP113MW. Watch the video. These have nice features. Staples had an SP15MW on display that was not working properly. I don't know how this reflects on the technology or the brand, but it looked as bad as the RS frame looked good.

Hi Len,

I searched the RS site. Where did you find this ad? I think I am lost.

Thanks Lisa

I found it right here on this site. Go to...

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/BlackFridaySales/Store/RadioShack

Search the page for photo and click the camera beside Digital Photo Frame with 11.3" LCD Display. That will bring up...

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-3538-DigitalPhotoFramewith113LCDDisplay.html

which is kind of generic, so I went to RS and asked to see the 11.3" frame that would be $100 on Friday. This is the frame I was taken to. If I search the RS site for the part number in the scan, I find...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2911612&cp

which is a 10.4 frame. This *may* be the frame I was looking at. I didn't have a ruler and this is the right price and manufacturer. It looks the same. The image was big and beautiful. If the 11.3 number is incorrect, I won't complain...much.

Can someone help me with some ???

What resolution is going to give me a nice pic?? I am looking for a bigger frame hopefully for my parents for xmas. I don't have hundreds to spend. If I can get a nice size one I might even buy a smaller one for my moms desk. Can someone help on what I should be looking for. I will venture out on BF to find one if I can and maybe even check the deals on monday or online for myself. I would be so thankful if you guys can help me out. THANKS

Can someone help me with some ???

What resolution is going to give me a nice pic?? I am looking for a bigger frame hopefully for my parents for xmas. I don't have hundreds to spend. If I can get a nice size one I might even buy a smaller one for my moms desk. Can someone help on what I should be looking for. I will venture out on BF to find one if I can and maybe even check the deals on monday or online for myself. I would be so thankful if you guys can help me out. THANKS

I think the 7" frames are the smallest that look good, but I can see smaller frames on a desk. The 7" frames are ~$50 -- I got one at Staples for that price last month. Offciemax has a Pandigital 5.6" frame for $30 (after rebate; maybe hard with a gift). The 11" frames are striking and will be <$100 at RS and Staples. I think these are the sweet spot right now.

Resolution is different than size. Just as important, but different. When I got my Pandigital last year, I was disappointed with quality of the images I was loading from my (older) digital camera. The photos I scanned and images from a newer, higher resolution camera looked much better. If you are going to load images from a camera, check the resolution of the camera -- it should be as high or higher than the resolution of the frame.

If you want to gift one of these, load it with images ahead of time. While geeks like the cool technology, others are intimidated by *any* technology. Shifting the focus from the frame to the images will make this a better gift for technophobes.

That was my plan also - but thinking about it - the frames need power and usually come with an AC adapter - so you would need to check into whether the power adaptor will be compatible with the local power supply (voltage etc).

I am still thinking about it - but will probably buy from AmazonUK (in my case) to make sure that are no issues with compatibility.

All the digital picture frames use DC ... it is unlikely that they will use batteries since the LCD screen takes a lot of power.

To use a US unit in UK, you have two options

(a) if the AC adapter mentions 220 (eg: 110~220VAC), then you just need an outlet adapter (that will allow the Adapter to plug into the wall) (couple of bucks at RadioShack)

click here.

(B) if not, then you have two other options ...

(i) buy a step-down transformer (220V->110V) Example

(ii) buy a transformer in the UK from Maplins/T2/Currys/Dixons/Comet/etc. there. On the adapter itself, it will also state the output voltage (eg: 12VDC) and the Amperage (eg 1000mA) ... as long as the replacement adapter will provide the voltage and amperage required, and has a matching barrel (the plug that goes into the frame) it will work.

Hope this is of help...

@

There are never lines at my RS. I usually hit it after Staples and always get what I want. I stopped in there tonight and was told they have a *lot* of these. The girl said there was no limit on quantity. The frame looks amazing. It's high resolution, the colors were nice, and the frame was attractive. The controls were intuitive and it comes with a remote. I'll get one or two.

Here is a web site with info on the frame...

http://smartpartsproducts.com/content/index.php

The RS frame is SP113MW. Watch the video. These have nice features. Staples had an SP15MW on display that was not working properly. I don't know how this reflects on the technology or the brand, but it looked as bad as the RS frame looked good.

Thanks a lot! This info is great. Now I just need to decide btwn BB and RS.

What are people's feelings, do you think there will be better deals online after BF on frames? I'm considering holding off just because of that. I didn't like the Nextar's because of the picture quality and the location of the ports. BB had some nice Kodaks and Westinghouse frames, but they are not on the ad.......sooo, is it that big of risk to wait it out?

Buying for my inlaws to show off grandkids. I bought the colby 7" from Kmart on sale this week. I like the frames. I loaded the pictures up and they looked horrible. Took it back. Was told to stay away from 234X480 resolution. So, i'm heading to walmart for 800X600 frame...:)

Kohl's has a two pack of Digital Photo Frames for $59.99 i will be trying to get some of those. They are only 7" though. I think they are Nextar or something not sure if that is a good brand or anything though.

There are not two LCDs in the box -- just one LCD and two interchangeable frames that are mounted to the LCD. My pandigital came with a wood grain and a black frame.

For all these frames, I highly recommend a little scouting. Image quality, package construction, and user interface vary widely. If the frames are not yet out for display, buy extras and return the ones you don't like to be sure to get the BF price.

I have a really basic question - Do all the digital frames have the ability to do a slideshow? Or do you have to manually change the pictures on some of them? I'm going to get one for my mom and plan to pre-load the pictures like Len suggested, and I want to make sure I can set it up as a slideshow to make it as easy as possible for her. Thanks!

I have a really basic question - Do all the digital frames have the ability to do a slideshow? Thanks!

I haven't seen one that does not, but there are too many to say for sure that they all do. Google the models for features and see what you see. If you cannot find information for one, post the model/ad here and I'll see if I can.

Getting some for gifts. Anyone have any suggestions on a good one??

I bought my first digital photo frame on sale at Target - a Poloroid. I was completely dissatified - the aspect ratio was wrong, and some of my photos would mysteriously not display (and no help in the instructions).

I then found out about SmartParts frames w/ Optipix software. I borrowed the software - I have a lot of high resolution photos that I didn't want to have to cut down to size one by one in Photoshop - Optipix software is quick and easy with processing a bunch of photos. The photos then display beautifully on the frame, and will allow HUNDREDS on a 256Mb memory card.

I just bought an 8in SmartParts frame to replace the Poloroid, and it it perfect. It's the right size for my counter, is the right aspect ratio, and each photo looks like a real photo in the frame. These are now onsale at Dell for $98 (wish I had gotten this price).

I would highly recommend this - though I only have experience w/ the 8in frame.

Loriac in Raleigh, NC

So what is everyone doing about which frames??? Has anyone found any deals online today? I think I am going to try and get the RS one or the staples one but I can't find much info on it. I'd love a bigger frame that looks good so I am hoping these work out. If not can someone reccommend which 8 or 9 inch to get. Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and safe shopping today and tomorrow

Does anybody know anything about the Venturer 8" frame at Wal-Mart?

I was wondering the same thing. I notice that the one at Target for BF is the same price. It's an inch smaller, but has a remote. However, I don't have a Target nearby.

So, does anyone know if the one from Walmart by any chance has a remote ? I don't see this online yet, so I can't see any kind of specs on it. Would love any feedback anyone has.