stocking stuffers

lisamag

funny no one is buying the candy yet-- do you think it'll be more fresh closer to Christmas or is it to keep you from eating it??? Cause I bet christmas candy was made in JULY. It's been in the stores since Halloween!!!

I don't buy it yet because it has to be in Christmas colors! Duh! :cheesy:

I get the kids (17, 14, 12) deodorant, cologne/perfume, socks, gloves, hat, candy, lottery scratch-offs, and some stuff more personalized to the kid. dd gets lip gloss, earrings, and other girly stuff. Boys get sports stuff, oldest will get car stuff this year.

One of my co-workers said her mom wraps everything in the stocking, I think I might try that this year. It will take them twice as long to get through their stockings! :sleazy:

I also do a stocking for dh and for our 3 four-legged kids (aka dogs)

And... how much of that stocking stuff do you find later in the year and never used?? I buy the same type that's been mentioned but frequently find it rolling around the house....

funny no one is buying the candy yet-- do you think it'll be more fresh closer to Christmas or is it to keep you from eating it??? Cause I bet christmas candy was made in JULY. It's been in the stores since Halloween!!!

Even the candy has been bought at our house. Our kids don't care as much for the chocolate candy as they do nerds, airheads, etc. So I got Halloween candy that wasn't in halloween packs inside of their favorites and just using it. An air head is an air head and since there weren't any pumpkins or special colors on them I figured it was good enough. Why pay more to rot their teeth and hype them up for Grandma's house????????

All I have to buy is socks for one stocking, and 2 adult gifts ... :-)

My sister and I always do my parents stockings, since we are older now. I like to put little scrapbook accessories and things I can find cheap or on clearance at local craft/scrapbook stores.

We always get them both new desktop calendars, my mom gets a dog one and my dad gets one with funny quotes or something.

We like to put little 'everyday' things in there: tic-tacs, batteries, car air fresheners, favorite snacks (my dad loves nutty bars.)

Anything *insert local sports team or college alma mater* related.

I noticed in the old thread that a lot of people talked about having way, way too much stuff to fit into a normal stocking. For the last few years, all of the local Dollar Tree stores have had giant stockings (42", to be exact). I decided to buy two of them this year for my boyfriend and I.

We usually buy random fun stuff for each other that we find on clearance throughout the year. This year he wants a pack of Floam (yes, we're both kids at heart). It's not something that I'm likely to put with his regular gifts, but is too big for normal stockings, which is where the huge 42" stockings come in. I could also see them being useful/fun to use when hauling gifts to family gatherings on Christmas.

Oh, and you can't beat $1 for them. ;)

I also tend to wrap most things that I buy for stockings, he doesn't... but he isn't very capable of wrapping Christmas presents in the first place.

we must be the weirdo family. we have stockings hung above our florida fireplace that has probably never been used, and we have never put anything in them. not even a candy cane. nothing. we even have one for our cat, but his is empty too. oh well. I'm 49 years old, things are not likely to change now.

I always OVERDO! I use to have ADORABLE wrought iron stocking holders and we had to stop using them because they weren't heavy enough to hold the stockings when they were full!

Pretty much the same as everyone else. Lipglosses, small polly pocket packs, jewelry and a new toothbrush for DD, and giftcards, watches, toothbrushes, cars, for the boys. Bubbles, Christmas Pez, pencils, crayons, watercolors and a coloring book for each one.

One tradition is each kid also gets an apple and an orange that is something MY MOM used to do and I guess it just stuck..And of course lots of Christmas candy and stickers!

I noticed in the old thread that a lot of people talked about having way, way too much stuff to fit into a normal stocking. For the last few years, all of the local Dollar Tree stores have had giant stockings (42", to be exact). I decided to buy two of them this year for my boyfriend and I.

We usually buy random fun stuff for each other that we find on clearance throughout the year. This year he wants a pack of Floam (yes, we're both kids at heart). It's not something that I'm likely to put with his regular gifts, but is too big for normal stockings, which is where the huge 42" stockings come in. I could also see them being useful/fun to use when hauling gifts to family gatherings on Christmas.

Oh, and you can't beat $1 for them. ;)

I also tend to wrap most things that I buy for stockings, he doesn't... but he isn't very capable of wrapping Christmas presents in the first place.

That's a good idea. I have another one. I usually buy Christmas giftbags and what won't fit in the actual stocking *we all have cute personalized ones with our favorite Disney Characters from Disneyworld!* I put down below the stocking in the giftbag. I know that is pretty pathetic but it works!

I am continuing a tradition from prior to my grandmother, of the nuts and an orange. For those of you who are wondering about the fruits and nuts in stockings, what I have been told by my grandmother was that it has to do with when these items were scarce and considered a luxury. At least that's the story I was told. My wife thinks it's stupid but we still do it because I say so.

One tradition is each kid also gets an apple and an orange that is something MY MOM used to do and I guess it just stuck..And of course lots of Christmas candy and stickers!

Heh, I do a tangerine in the toe of the stocking because that is what my Mom did. She still does actually. Still, to this day, my brother gives me his tangerine because he doesn't like them.

Oh and old fashioned candy on the sticks? Lollipops, I guess. Shaped like stockings and trees and such. My mother did them, so I do. Weird.

I am continuing a tradition from prior to my grandmother, of the nuts and an orange. For those of you who are wondering about the fruits and nuts in stockings, what I have been told by my grandmother was that it has to do with when these items were scarce and considered a luxury. At least that's the story I was told. My wife thinks it's stupid but we still do it because I say so.

THat is exactly what we were told growing up and we always got just a little candy and an apple and a orange or tangerine and nuts. We always had a bowl of nuts out at Christmas and nutcrackers (not the display ones)... The older folk would sit after Christmas dinner and talk and crack nuts to munch on.

what is it about the orange? Growing up, we always had one in the very bottom of our stockings, and we are passing that tradition on to our kids too. :D

We always got an orange from Santa as well and my kids get an orange as well.

The tradition dates back to basically "little house on the prairie" times. Fresh fruit was just not available most places during the winter due to the difficulties and cost of shipping things like oranges from places like Florida to more northern states. Therefore to get an orange in the middle of winter was a huge luxary. It was a treat that was reserved for something special like a gift from Santa.

Our stockings will have oranges, peanuts, candy, toothbrushes, small stuffed animals, candy canes, and whatever else suits my fancy at the dollar store. We do fill the stocking as adults with kids. But growing up Santa never put anything in our stockings. They were just decorations. Our gifts were on the kitchen table after mass along with our orange and a big bowl of nuts.

Everyone of all ages gets a can of silly string (canned string) and every year we act like we're gonna wait til after we eat breakfast to have the spray-off, but someone inevitably starts the silly string fight within minutes of starting to open stockings. everyone tears open their cans and it's string WAR for a few minutes.

the little kids usually run from the room screaming while the big "kids" steal their cans of string.

Lotsa fun.

Lotsa mess.

Lotsa good family memories.

I put my FEET in my stockings. :tongue1::tongue1:

lol my dd6 did that last yr. i have a pic of her walking around with the christmas stockings and the santa hat on her head. it was every funny i laughed so hard, she kept trying to pull it up so it would stay on her feet.

i usually put at least one ds game in theri stockings that gets wrapped but not any of the other stuff.

I like to put magazines in our stickings. They're soooo expensive now and it's a nice thing to sit quiet and looke through after christmas. Usually sports illustrated for hb, motorcyle or game for son and people for daughter. Also I HAVE to put a bag of chocolate gold coins in each of the kids stockings. I've always done it , didn't thing it mattered to them but I found that wrong. They actually notice and look forward to the coins. Once I put a piece of charcoal from the neighbors's grill, just to let them know that Santa is watching.:smart:

I like the ornament idea.

DD 2 will get tons of random things from target dollar spot clearance- baton, hair stuff, fake barbies, stick on earrings, stuff for her play kitchen, bath foam, dress up shoes, jumprope, coloring book, book, magnetic shapes, stickers, baby doll outfit, and a tiny bit of candy.

DH will get a magazine subscription, texas hold em keychain, cheap dvd, car cell charger, candy, mints, gum

Some how the stocking gifts seem to get more expensive (at least in value) each Christmas.:)

DH is getting a Bialetti Stainless Steel Pizza Chopper Orig $8.99 I paid $2.24 Target clearence in July:D, 300 Extended Edition Dvd $5.98 BF @ Target. HP mini Computer Speakers Orig $40.00 I paid $5.00 Office Depot Clearence.

My Mom is getting University of Colorado Logo Notepads Orig $8.99 I paid $.50 Office Depot Clearence. Small bag of coffee from Peets Coffee. Flair felt tip pen set orig $10.99 I paid $1.00 Office Depot Clearence.

My Dad is getting Sea Salt Flakes $3.89, Jar of Jalapeno stuffed olives from Wild Oats for $3.99, Tired Old A$s bath soak:D orig $4.99 I paided $2.99 on sale at Wild Oats. University of Colorado Spiral note pads Orig $3.99 I paid $.50 once again at Office Depot. And he likes the scent of Vanilla, but when he travels for work I worry he may forget to blow out a candle so I picked up a travel size bottle of Warm Vanilla Sugar body lotion from BBW Orig $3.50 I paid $0, free with any purchase.

They are all getting more than what is listed here. Since I wrapped these gifts last night, it was easier to recall what they are. Everyone is also getting a University of Colorado mouse pad for their laptop. Orig $8.99 I paid 1.00 each at Office Depot

I hadn't relized how expensive everybodys stockings are going to be until last night. Oh my!

Happy Holidays!

This year all 3 kids are getting a bottle cap necklace of their favorite cartoon/tv character, toothbrush, an orange, nuts, lots of candy, and then the following:

DS: a bunch of Disney Cars matchbox cars and a small transformer

DD: Dora the explorer playdoh, earrings

DSD: Hannah Montana 2 CD and a Hannah Montana Bracklet

For DH: Candy, orange, nuts, and scratch off lottery tickets.