>>> Official Black Friday GPS Navigation Unit Discussion Thread <<< (updated 11/29)

Marcster

You are my hero!!!! As someone with phobias of certain types of roads, I have been trying to find this out for almost a year! Whooppie!

Can you elaborate on your phobia, you've got me curious now. Sorry to take this off topic, but this fascinates me as I thought you were initially joking.

Excellent question Marcster about how far out does the traffic coverage track!!!!

I went to realtimetraffic.com and for me, the range of coverage was decent. Our city is detroit, MI and we're in the 'burbs. So this is fine for us. Gosh I love this site!!

Marcster, YOU ARE da BOMB!!!!!! :2kiss:

I saw on another board that Costco has the Garmin Nuvi 650 for $299 right now. I was considering the 660, but I don't need the bluetooth and FM capabilities, which seem to be the only differences between the two.

I'd have to renew my lapsed Costco membership, but I'm tempted to just order this and sleep in Black Friday.

What do you think?

Sheila

RadioShack has the MioC320 for $149, the Navigon 2100 for $149. Staples has the Navigon for $99. Just called Radioshack...they will pricematch the Staples Navigon!! I checked out the Nav2100 today at Stapels...it is small, no way my husband will work this. The 'keybooard' is small but I was able to type it with my fingernails. "Fat fingers" will not work well.:no: He def. needs a 4.3 screen (Mio C320) The Nav2100 will work for me tho! I highly recommend trying out the GPS your going for on BF first, if its part of the stores regular stock. It made me change my mind!

Do any of the units other than the Navigon 1200 have the "speed limit" feature that will show the speed limit on the screen? It looks like a good feature but is it more "gimic" than helpful?

It might help avoid "speedtraps" in unknown areas.

What other units have this feature?

Went to my local Radio Shacks today to ask about the Magellan 4040. BF ad says will have it for 299.99. It was on sale today for 350.00 but all stores told me they would price match. I asked managers at both Shacks again if I bought it today at 350.00 if they would price match on BF for 299.99 and they said absolutely. They only had one unit at one store and three at another so I got one. Both Shacks expected no more shipments of extra 4040's until after BF.

Marcster, do you have reviews or info on the 3250 Magellan unit. They had it on sale today as well and I really liked it. Thanks and happy hunting all.

Marcster, you asked for posts about what people decide to buy so here ya go.

I'm getting DH the Nuvi 260 from Staples. Reasoning being that I have the extra $ to spend so I might as well opt for the most quality brand. Model choice based upon having text to voice at a good price. All the reviews I could find compared Garmin to Mac and since he sprung for a macbook pro for me, I decided to go name brand for him. That Navigon really tempted me though, but the ease of use and POI won out in the end.

navigon 2100 which is the BF item at radioshack for $149, is already available at officedepot for the same price and it includes lifetime traffic too :) FREE next business day delivery

price is good until 11/21.

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=597515&x=10&Ntt=navigon%202100&y=19&uniqueSearchFlag=true&An=text

Shows $249 for me AFTER $100 savings.

How is the Magellan 3200 for $169 at BB this week comparable to any of the ones listed here. I am looking for one for my DH and my BIL. Thanks

Brand new. I can't find any reviews on it. Great price and NO BF lines. Might also be able to use the 12% off rewardzone coupons that are good for this weekend. Would bring the price down to $150.

Brand new. I can't find any reviews on it. Great price and NO BF lines. Might also be able to use the 12% off rewardzone coupons that are good for this weekend. Would bring the price down to $150.

How would the rwardzone coupon work if I ordered on line? Does it automatically go in when I put in my rewardzone card?

Do any of the units other than the Navigon 1200 have the "speed limit" feature that will show the speed limit on the screen? It looks like a good feature but is it more "gimic" than helpful?

It might help avoid "speedtraps" in unknown areas.

What other units have this feature?

The Mio Does,

For 100.00, I don't know why you would buy any other GPS other than the Mio.....

I travel 1200 miles a week for business, all over the country in rental cars mostly.... and let me tell you, it is always spot on, and fantastic with making the directions dummy proof.

Plus the millions and zillions of POI's are great for finding hotels, eats, restrooms, parking garages... well just about anything you can think of. And it gives you the phone #'s.

I have friends that have the higher end tom toms and magelans that all wish they had the mio.

How is the Magellan 3200 for $169 at BB this week comparable to any of the ones listed here. I am looking for one for my DH and my BIL. Thanks

I am a total GPS novice, so forgive my silly question...is this unit one that says the directions out loud by any chance? That is a feature that would really be ideal for us. It is in stock at our local BB, backordered online. This would be a great gift for hubby!

I am a total GPS novice, so forgive my silly question...is this unit one that says the directions out loud by any chance? That is a feature that would really be ideal for us. It is in stock at our local BB, backordered online. This would be a great gift for hubby!

See Marcsters first three posts.... They all will tell you directions out loud.

the only difference is that the text to speach list says "turn left on main st in 200 yards" while the Voice command one says "turn left in 200 yards"

The Mio Does,

For 100.00, I don't know why you would buy any other GPS other than the Mio.....

I travel 1200 miles a week for business, all over the country in rental cars mostly.... and let me tell you, it is always spot on, and fantastic with making the directions dummy proof.

Plus the millions and zillions of POI's are great for finding hotels, eats, restrooms, parking garages... well just about anything you can think of. And it gives you the phone #'s.

I have friends that have the higher end tom toms and magelans that all wish they had the mio.

First i heard of the mio doing this (post speed limit).. i was all about the c220 till i saw it in person yesterday pretty dark and the red stripe around it... fugly looks like it should be on a boat or something...

I was pretty much set on buying the TomTom 3rd edition at Staples until I read this thread. I went in yesterday to a new Staples that just opened 2 weeks ago very close to my house. I spoke to the manager and she said if I was in line by 5 I should get what I want for sure especialy if it's a GPS. Now reading through all the posts, I'm torn between the TomTom and the Navigon. I really like that the Navigon has TTS and the free traffic for life is a real plus but I know that the TomTom is thought of as a somewhat better model. I'm really torn as to which one to get now. Anyone have suggestions?

ok guys, i got the Navigon 2100 GPS just now from OfficeDepot for $149, which is going to be offered for same price at Radioshack and $99 at Staples during BF. Since this is my first GPS I can't really compare this with other GPS units, but I felt this very cool one, with its features like text to speech, posted speed limit, vehicle speed/altitude, day/light, 2-D/3-D, etc. No difficulty in using the touch pad :)

If I can get 99 deal at staples during BF, probably I will return this :)

I was going to buy the Magellan Maestro 3100 at Staples until I saw this. I like the fact that it has the smart traffic detour capability and to avoid the BF mess and perhaps not even get one if they get all sold out, I bit the bullet and ordered it online. Free Shipping! Another plus.

Hey Marc you may want to change the mio320 does not have text to speech:)

Yes, you're right.... I misread one of the reviews. The C520 does have TTS. In certain typefaces, C320 and C520 look ridiculously similar.

I'll update the original post, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

My Office Depot had the Navigon for $149 but they didn't know anything about how to redeem the free mail in offer for the "lifetime real time traffic subscription". Does anyone know if it should have been a rebate or is it maybe enclosed in the box? The store manager is supposed to research the answer and get back with me tomorrow...

Quote:My Office Depot had the Navigon for $149 but they didn't know anything about how to redeem the free mail in offer for the "lifetime real time traffic subscription". Does anyone know if it should have been a rebate or is it maybe enclosed in the box? The store manager is supposed to research the answer and get back with me tomorrow...

luckyscaper, same with me, after purchasing the unit, when i enquired abt traffic subsciption, the sales guy said 'something might be inside box' but nothing is there. need to check out with store again tomorrow on how to get it.