>>> Official Black Friday GPS Navigation Unit Discussion Thread <<< (updated 11/29)

Marcster

ok, help me asap. My sister decided (tonight) that she wants a gps...it needs to have a voice command (where she says the address to go to), and for it to talk back to her...be able to tell her if there is traffic ahead and alternate routes to avoid it, etc. Which one is best for this at the lowest price? HELP!!!

So your sister wants a model where she can speak aloud to the unit where she wants to go and then it gives her audio instructions on how to get there?

That is a TALL order. The ONLY units that I know that does it is the Magellan Maestro 4050 or the 4250. The Maestro 4000 and 4040 that are on sale for BF do not have this feature. Traffic service with Magellans is an extra cost add on -- $60 a year, IIRC.

Maestro 4050 for $363 (free s/h):

Maestro 4250 for $499:

I saw the Magellan Maestro 4050 is $363 on Amazon like Marcster said. The 4250 is $397 as of right now on Amazon, and i havent seen it that cheap anywhere else. I may jump for the 4250 in a second for that price. Voice command would be really cool i think. I tried out the interface the other day and i loved it,not to mention its flat black (4250 model) and gorgeous ;)

can anyone confirm they were able to order the Navigon 2100 on the staples.com website? I went and stood in line at 530am (yes a bit late) and I didn't get one. Would I have had better luck trying to order online right at 6am?

can anyone confirm they were able to order the Navigon 2100 on the staples.com website? I went and stood in line at 530am (yes a bit late) and I didn't get one. Would I have had better luck trying to order online right at 6am?

I had no luck, the site was so slow and then said Out of stock.

It appears that I got a 2100 online. It was at 5:55 est that I got on the site and got it ordered. I tried around 5:00 est and the site was closed, had to keep refreshing to find out when it was open again. I went back online 20 minutes later and it was out of stock. The order still shows available so I hope it's going to come.

I arrived at Staples at 4:30. I expected to sit in my car for an hour, but was surprised to already see ~30 people in line. I hopped in line and waited for the fun to begin. The manager arrived at 5:00 and announced he would be out with vouchers in a few minuted. I was concerned that I might miss out -- plan B was to hit Radio Shack. There were 19 2100t vouchers -- I got #17. Then came the TTs -- there were only 12 and i wasn't even close. The manager walked away with 3100 vouchers. So, fate and a late start selected my GPS for me.

I had to open it right away. After a minute or so, a map popped up showing me a couple hundred feet from my road. I added my work to my favorites and looked at some POIs. I had no problem entering data. The user interface is intuitive. It was sluggish entering a destination as it tried to 'autocomplete' my entries, but I got used to that quickly. The traffic card was right in the box. I'm looking forward to being re-routed around traffic jams on my daily commute. I don't know how this can be beat for $100.

The couple behind me in line were TT users looking for a second GPS. It was great to be able to talk to someone with so much hands on experience with a TT. He got a 2100t as well.

Marcster, I want to thank you for taking the time to review the GPS products ahead of time for us consumers. You really convinced me to get the TomTom One 3rd Edition and luckily, I was able to get it Wednesday at CC for the same price they have it today!

Thanks once again and please do it again next year!

Went to Staples at 5:20. They started handing out tickets for page 1 and back page items at 6 -- took 40 minutes for ~ 50 people ahead of me to go through.

The Navigon's went quick. I went for the Tom Tom One, but they ran out just in front of me along with the Maestro and Nuvi models. So I picked up the 500 GB hard drive, the omnitech 11.3" photo viewer and some flash cards and felt out of luck on the GPS as it was now past 7 am.

Stopped by a Meijer across the street on the way home. They opened at 5 am for the deals but they still had one Magellan Maestro 4000 for $199. I bought it and decided to research it (wasn't on my radar screen). Paid $80-90 more for it than the Tom Tom One, but it has a 4.3" screen vs the 3.5".

I've seen mixed reviews on the Magellan Maestro 4000. This is a gift for my wife and don't need all the bells and whistles.

Will this be a good unit for her? (Agree on the thanks to Marcster for all the helpful info and deal summary--great help)

Call your local Pep Boys!! I called mine around 9:30 (CT) to ask if they had sold out of the Mio Digiwalker 220c's that were being offered for $79 after $40 MIR...to my surprise, they still had 10 of them. This is the same model that CC had for $99 as a doorbuster item, so to me, this was a great deal. I know MIR's suck, but hey, to save $20 per unit (I bought two of them as gifts) off of doorbuster prices, I think it's worth it in the long run. Just an FYI to those who are still looking.

I was in line at my local staples this morning at 3:15, was the 5th person in line. Almost got the laptop (they only had 4 at my store). It was a GREAT time, the people were all super fun to talk to and swap black friday stories with.

The first guy in line got there at midnight. One of his friends went to best buy and was about 30th in line. At around 4am, a bunch of people got out of their cars and got in line w/ people waiting for them. He went from being around 30th to 130th....

Marcster, I want to thank you for taking the time to review the GPS products ahead of time for us consumers. You really convinced me to get the TomTom One 3rd Edition and luckily, I was able to get it Wednesday at CC for the same price they have it today!

Thanks once again and please do it again next year!

Ditto-- and thanks to the people on this board ;-)

Thanks! Just ordered it! $143 total.....

I am skeptical with this one vs TomTom from CC I could have got for only $130 last night =(

I bought a 330c last year for my wife and it has proven to be excellent. Super fast at picking up a signal and reacting to inputs. I'm so impressed with it that I'd have a hard time getting a non-Garmin in this price range. You'll have no regrets. The only thing the 330 does not have is the sexy flat screen look of some of the others. People who overlook this machine based on this are making a mistake. Performance wise, outstanding over the past year of use.

Thanks to this thread, I snagged the Garmin from Walmart this morning at 4am CT. :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH! My husband is thrilled...he also can get lost in a paperbag, so I'm thrilled as well. He had trouble finding his way home once...seriously. And it was only 10 miles! ROFLMAO:smart:

I bought the Navigon 5100 @ Staples for $249.99...it was listed at 499.99.

I printed off the Best Buy Navigon 5100 price and Staples had to price match it.

The Navigon 5100 also has a $50 rebate.

Hehe I opened it and used it.

It was quick to lock on to a satellite, the 3D view is nice, the Reality View/Lane assistant was very nice. Having it say the street names was nice (it says 'please'). It gave the side of the street the destination is on. I have not used the Traffic Serfice or the Zagat Survey yet.

The BIG problem with the NAVIGON is the speaker.....it is not loud at all and the sound is muffled.

Hopefully I can get used to it

Please keep in mind that the Garmin C330 does not have the best 'Sirf Chip' inside and may result in slower than expected GPS functioning.

Check out this review

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/10/the_amazing_success_of_garmins.php

I wanted the Navigon but didn't get it. We ended up with the TomTom One and the

Garmin c330. From what I read I think I should keep the tomtom. Anyone have any suggestions?

I would keep the TT1. I'd hold onto the c330 till you get towards the end of the return policy with Wal-Mart (I'm assuming that's where you got it). In the meantime, see if you can find a better price for a better unit than the c330. Or keep the c330, it's not a bad unit necessarily, just old stock and may lack some of the features on newer units.

I ordered the Garmin Nuvi 660 for DH and myself and 2 - Nuvi 200's for our Sons for Christmas in the wee hours of Thanksgiving morning from Best Buy!! Later that day they were both gone - the Nuvi 200's went really quick and one of mine is on backorder (1-2 weeks) but the other two have already shipped!! Our days of getting lost are over!! :tongue1:

I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.

Even after reading the FANTASTIC research provided in this thread i was undecided between the tomtom one and navigon at Staples. I thought I'd get them both then try them and return the one I didn't like.

I did this, but the Tomtom was impossible to get out of the plastic container it came in without destroying it. I have decided to keep the navigon. Do you think staples will be understanding when I return it without the plastic it came in?

Trust me, there was no way to open it and keep the plastic intact.

I almost cut off my finger trying to get it out!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest ZeroGravity107
I don't know what Staples will say, but I agree, I had to destroy my packaging. Also, I am completely disappointed with my Tom Tom One, I've used it twice, from my home to work and from my girlfriend's to my house. Both calculations were entirely WRONG and I put in the RIGHT address. I can't believe I stood in line for this worthless piece of electronics.