WM claims only a "few" messages, article claims we don't matter

Brad

I can not believe what I just read. Why on earth would a store representative make that kind of statement. I am getting fed up with Walmart, I am at the point where not only will I not shop there on BF, but any other day either. I don't think they understand that the people on these sites are not only after deals but are hardcore shoppers and spend a lot of money in their store. O well....

Unfortunately, that clown is probably right. There's not enough people that are upset over this AND willing to not shop there to make a difference in their BF sales. WalMart will have millions of shoppers on BF, while I'd be surprised if a few thousand don't shop there because of this. When we all finally get to see their ad in the newspaper insert, many of us will forget about our anger when we see something we really want at a great price.

Actually, I think I have a better message to send them:

Dear Wal-Mart: I am one of those people who do not like your threat against a website that gives you the opportunity to reach literally thousands of potential customers at no cost to your company. Therefore, from this point on, I will buy nothing from your stores at regular price. I will be happy, however, to snap up any loss leaders you advertise that are actually a great buy. But not a pencil, item of clothing, box of detergent, or anything else at your 'everyday low price' will be added to my cart. Just think of me as your own personal local cherry picker helping to lower your profit margins.

Ruth

Count me in on cherry picking. Really thats all I do is cherry pick that day, lol. They know me so well.

Unfortunately, that clown is probably right. There's not enough people that are upset over this AND willing to not shop there to make a difference in their BF sales. WalMart will have millions of shoppers on BF, while I'd be surprised if a few thousand don't shop there because of this. When we all finally get to see their ad in the newspaper insert, many of us will forget about our anger when we see something we really want at a great price.

Not me!!!

Guest ladakn99

are you sure there will be something that we want that has the "Made in China" label for a ridiculas price, and we see something else at another store like a DVD, we go to walmart to pricematch on bf and they hide everything in the back and you can even overhear the employees complaining about that.

think again, i'll go somewhere else, even if i have to spend more money, it's worth giving my money to target, best buy, etc, because they treat their customers with respect unlike this one company i know located in Arkansas.

Walmart thinks that because they have closed down all the mom and pop shops that we don't have anywhere else to shop. They treat their employees like crap and the customer service is sub-standard. The quality of the merchandise in general, when not a name brand, is usually not up to standard either. I quit grocery shopping there when I opened a steak and it changed colors. I called the meat manager and asked him why it did that and he told me it was because it has so many preservatives in it. I thought meat was supposed to be fresh. I use the photo lab at one of the Walmart's in my town because of the people that work in it. They are the best in town. If they ever leave that photolab, I won't have any reason to step foot in a walmart ever again. Usually, I do shop Walmart on BF with my mom and sister and we usually spend a few grand between us. I don't think we will this year.

Well since we moved here a year ago, we do about 90% of our shopping at walmart. So adding up on an estimation of about $100 a week in groceries (5200 a year), $25 a week (1300 a year) in pullups and paper items, about $1,000 in clothing a year and about $1000+ on BF and/or Christmas season. I have no problem now going to Kroger or Food city to do my grocery shopping, and I will drive the extra 40 minutes to get to target for everything else! My money doesn't matter to them so I will take my money with me!! Good riddens Walmart!

They could make the ad public today, and have on the front cover the items that I want most this year for free, and I wouldn't go.

I think I'm more bothered by the quotes of Stephen Baker.

Black Friday Web site fans aren't necessarily the best customers of the retailer anyway, Baker said. "They go to cherry pick a couple things really cheap. That's not going to make a lot of money (for retailers) in the short term or even long term." And though they would say otherwise, the Web masters behind those Black Friday sites are probably "overestimating" the importance of their sites in driving customers to stores, he added.

In other words, people are going to shop anyway. So in the long run, even if some customers are displeased, clamping down on its intellectual property is not only Wal-Mart's right, but it likely won't hurt it at the register come the day after Thanksgiving.

"This is America, nothing has an effect on shopping," Baker said. "Truly the biggest impact on Black Friday is the weather."

BF website fans may not necessarily be (in your eyes) the best customers, but they ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS! Whether they cherry pick a couple of things really cheap, or do their entire Christmas shopping at your store, they are STILL YOUR CUSTOMERS. If you don't want them to cherry pick cheap items, don't price them at cherry picking prices.

And yes, I will go shopping anyway. But I will NOT be shopping at WM. And yes, I realize that the few hundred I spend on Black Friday won't hurt your register that day, and even the thousands of dollars I spend throughout the rest of the year also won't hurt your registers, but at least I will have the satisfaction of knowing that none of my hard earned money will be spent where it is obviously not appreciated.

Anyone have a phone number for Stephen Baker?? And what exactly is "vice president of industry analysis for NPD Group"?

Edit to add: Stephen Baker is not associated with WM. But in this article it sure looks like he's speaking for them.

Here's what I found:

About The NPD Group, Inc.

The NPD Group is the leading provider of reliable and comprehensive consumer and retail information for a wide range of industries. Today, more than 1,600 manufacturers, retailers, and service companies rely on NPD to help them drive critical business decisions at the global, national, and local market levels. NPD helps our clients to identify new business opportunities and guide product development, marketing, sales, merchandising, and other functions. Information is available for the following industry sectors: automotive, beauty, commercial technology, consumer technology, entertainment, fashion, food and beverage, foodservice, home, office supplies, software, sports, toys, and wireless. For more information, visit www.npd.com.

Anyone have a phone number for Stephen Baker?? And what exactly is "vice president of industry analysis for NPD Group"?

Quick question, I wonder if he works for NPD research...it's a survey company that I am sure a few of us probably work for (or should I say used to work for). I don't know if it is the same company or not.

This is a copy of the response I received from my email to Walmart.

Thank you for your message.

Dear Nita,

In the past, certain websites have posted seasonal promotion

advertising from Wal-Mart -- and many other retailers -- without authorization.

Because these websites have not respected copyright protections and

other laws, we have reminded them of their obligations under the law.

Customers will be able to find the Black Friday Wal-Mart specials on

walmart.com beginning Nov.19th.

Thank you,

Customer Relations

For further correspondence regarding this issue, please reply to this

email.

----Your Original Comments Were----

If Walmart goes through with legal action against Gottadeal.com, I will

no longer shop there and I will return the Christmas presents that

were recently purchased there. You receive a whole lot of free

advertising on that site that you should be very grateful the store doesn't have

to pay for.

-----------------------------------------

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and

intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are

addressed. If you have received this email in error destroy it

immediately.

Wal-Mart Confidential

:mad::yuck:

Angela,

My eight-year old daughter took a threatening hang-up call on this matter at my home yesterday afternoon. I am absolutely disgusted by what gottadeal is doing.

-j.

This is what I recieved from John Simley this morning. If I beleive it, it makes me really sad. I don't know if anyone here would stoop to that level, I doubt it, but or his first email to claim he cannot see what is going on here, then to blame soneone here for that, I am am stumped. I really hate to think that somehow this could of happened.

Angela,

My eight-year old daughter took a threatening hang-up call on this matter at my home yesterday afternoon. I am absolutely disgusted by what gottadeal is doing.

-j.

This is what I recieved from John Simley this morning. If I beleive it, it makes me really sad. I don't know if anyone here would stoop to that level, I doubt it, but or his first email to claim he cannot see what is going on here, then to blame soneone here for that, I am am stumped. I really hate to think that somehow this could of happened.

wait a minute....what??????

I am an goof on the computer. I emailed him yesterday asking him to rethink legal action, and to utilize internet resources to Walmart advantage. I got the same response as everybody else, except I replied to it. I was able to forward my email to bayhaysay, and she posted his 2nd response for me. I recieved this one this a.m.. I would love to post the enite correspondance, I have alerted a moderator to help me in this. I am worried if this really happened, and I think Brad needs to see it, for whatever reason.

Angela,

-j.

That is very unfortunate and I hope it was no one from Gottadeal. Unfortunately he knew that this was a possibility when he took on this profession and specifically becoming the face (spokesperson) of a multi-national corporation. I have a degree in Public Relations and most of the case studies that we did in college involved death threats that were made to the spokesperson. This was especially prevelent in cases such as the Tylenol Poisionings but when you make yourself the personification of a company that is a possibility. I'm sure that he is well compensated for his trouble and I'm sure it was nothing close to a death threat. Unfortunately that is a hazard of the job.

Walmart seems to fail to realize that because of ads being leaked early online it has probably brought them more business than they would have gotten without it being leaked. I also bet they have people who scout their competitors ads online and change their own prices accordingly.

They will get NONE of my business this holiday season. Walmart is only about 10 minutes away from me and Target is about 30 minutes. I will drive the extra distance to Target.

I called Steven Baker and just asked him very nicely if he was aware of this article on Cnet and he told me that he had no idea what what I was talking about, he was very rude I just wanted to know where he had gotten his information on his comment "Black Friday Web site fans aren't necessarily the best customers of the retailer anyway, Baker said. "They go to cherry pick a couple things really cheap. That's not going to make a lot of money (for retailers) in the short term or even long term." And though they would say otherwise, the Web masters behind those Black Friday sites are probably "overestimating" the importance of their sites in driving customers to stores, he added. " he told me to go write it in a blog because he doesn't care....jerk!

I'm ashamed of whoever called John Simley's home phone! I hope that we have members with class and that he is wrong. I don't believe that we have posted his or anyone's home phone number. I think that he owe's gottadeal an apology for that.

(After reading the other thread I did see that someone has posted his home number and that it was immediately removed.) But gottadeal is not promoting this type of behaviour!!!!

On another note, us "internet shoppers" - we may do some cherry picking, but on the other hand how many of you out there have bought something just because of price? We buy up their junk too! And they don't need us?

It would be nice to get Steven Baker's email address. I would like to email him about his comments as well. Maybe he would care a little bit more if he took some comments from us too. His comments were total crap as far as I am concerned and I would like to tell him so (I don't want to call a jerk because I get too angry when people are rude to me).

Also I don't think it is fair for Simley to assume it was a gottadeal member unless the caller specifically identified him/herself as a member. What specifically is a shame about what Gottadeal is doing? Gottadeal is advocating its members to use their voices (and emails) to make their feelings heard. Brad posted that NOBODY should call these people at home and the number was removed quickly. Sure some people have bad judgement - just like Wal-Mart does.

That is very unfortunate and I hope it was no one from Gottadeal. Unfortunately he knew that this was a possibility when he took on this profession and specifically becoming the face (spokesperson) of a multi-national corporation. I have a degree in Public Relations and most of the case studies that we did in college involved death threats that were made to the spokesperson. This was especially prevelent in cases such as the Tylenol Poisionings but when you make yourself the personification of a company that is a possibility. I'm sure that he is well compensated for his trouble and I'm sure it was nothing close to a death threat. Unfortunately that is a hazard of the job.

No one should expect these sorts of calls at home... especially as we are not talking about major political decisions being made here. This is unfortunate. I am hopeful he has caller ID or something that can be used to follow up on this.

I am still debating whether I will shop there or not. On the one hand I am really mad and think that I should not give them any of my money, but on the other hand, I think they lose money on some of the BF things, i.e. the laptops and I would therefore be taking their money if I didn't buy anything other than things that they are losing money on. Decisions, decisions.

I only enjoy seeing the ads early to share the info with other mothers. My personal shopping for my family is usually complete by November 1st. I shopped BF for charity gifts and just to shop. I just don't know what to do with these responses I have gotten from Simley. I don't know what to think.