(Rumored) Black Friday TVs and DVD recorders at Wal-Mart for 2007...

cireafan

Like every year, Funai is going to supply most of the TVs and DVD recorders to Wal-Mart for this upcoming Black Friday this year. I represent Funai products, and this is what Funai made from the factories already. They are now at the Wal-Mart distribution center at Arkansas. Wal-Mart will sell a 1080i 32" LCD TV for around $400 under the SV2000 or Symphonic brand. There will be a 1080P 37" LCD TV (pricing unknown). There will also be a ATSC digital-tuner 20" CRT tube TV for around $50 under the SV2000 brand. Finally, there will be ATSC digital-tuner DVD recorder and DVD recorder/VCR combo under the SV2000 or Symphonic brand between $50 and $100. Funai is well-aware with the FCC-mandated digital TV transition that everyone in the USA must need one ASAP, so Funai has decided to produce the $50 ATSC 20" CRT TV the most than any other products. Each store should get at least 200-300.

I do not have the model numbers in my hand. But at least it gives all the buyers knowing what will Wal-Mart have on Black Friday.

Cheers.:D

I bought last year's BF Symphonic 32" LCD tv. It's done really well for us (OK, we're not tv-philes) although I did get the extended warranty as well. We are looking for another 32" for the bedroom - might have to give this one some thought - thanks for the heads up!

Like every year, Funai is going to supply most of the TVs and DVD recorders to Wal-Mart for this upcoming Black Friday this year. I represent Funai products, and this is what Funai made from the factories already. They are now at the Wal-Mart distribution center at Arkansas. Wal-Mart will sell a 1080i 32" LCD TV for around $400 under the SV2000 or Symphonic brand. There will be a 1080P 37" LCD TV (pricing unknown). There will also be a ATSC digital-tuner 20" CRT tube TV for around $50 under the SV2000 brand. Finally, there will be ATSC digital-tuner DVD recorder and DVD recorder/VCR combo under the SV2000 or Symphonic brand between $50 and $100. Funai is well-aware with the FCC-mandated digital TV transition that everyone in the USA must need one ASAP, so Funai has decided to produce the $50 ATSC 20" CRT TV the most than any other products. Each store should get at least 200-300.

I do not have the model numbers in my hand. But at least it gives all the buyers knowing what will Wal-Mart have on Black Friday.

Cheers.:D

I wouldn't take a Funai if they gave it to me for free. It is junk. I had a VCR go bad a few years ago and tried for weeks to get them to honor their warranty out of California I believe it was and they would never give me the data to ship it in. I ended up throwing it away. Buyer beware. You get what you pay for in this country.

For the not so technologically inclined, can someone tell me what a ATSC digital-tuner DVD recorder actually is? I mean, I know what a DVD Recorder is, and I'm hoping Santa thinks I've been really good this year lol but I don't know what the ATSC digital tuner stuff is about?

For the not so technologically inclined, can someone tell me what a ATSC digital-tuner DVD recorder actually is? I mean, I know what a DVD Recorder is, and I'm hoping Santa thinks I've been really good this year lol but I don't know what the ATSC digital tuner stuff is about?

Great question ! I am with you I know the DVD recorder but the lingo before it no idea

< An ATSC tuner, often called an ATSC receiver or HDTV tuner, allows reception of ATSC digital television (DTV) signals broadcast over-the-air by TV stations in North America (and South Korea). Such tuners may be integrated into the television, VCR, digital video recorder, and set-top box which provides audio/video output-connectors of various types. >

A stand alone tuner is good for those who have hd tvs with out an integrated tuner. It allows them to pull free over the air HD channels.

< An ATSC tuner, often called an ATSC receiver or HDTV tuner, allows reception of ATSC digital television (DTV) signals broadcast over-the-air by TV stations in North America (and South Korea). Such tuners may be integrated into the television, VCR, digital video recorder, and set-top box which provides audio/video output-connectors of various types. >

A stand alone tuner is good for those who have hd tvs with out an integrated tuner. It allows them to pull free over the air HD channels.

Okay...so I pay for digital cable, and have a set top box. I'd like a DVR for Christmas, but if I get one with an ASTC tuner, will that mess up my set top box?

just a note...HDTV is the next step and you are being forced to change to it, the old signal will be obsolete before the end of 2008 as I understand it and you will HAVE to have a full HDTV at that time. it will also work as a picture phone, security and more including a 2 way viewable ability...which can be on without your knowledge by computer hackers and the govt.

just a note...HDTV is the next step and you are being forced to change to it, the old signal will be obsolete before the end of 2008 as I understand it and you will HAVE to have a full HDTV at that time. it will also work as a picture phone, security and more including a 2 way viewable ability...which can be on without your knowledge by computer hackers and the govt.

You forgot you winking smiley face emoticons. Not cool to spout false info in a forum where clearly not everyone is tech savvy.

Before you put everyone into paranoia, you can buy a adaptor to hook up to your older tv for hdtv broadcastings. I heard they will be around $20.00. Companies are using this scare tactic to sell their televisions.

Let's clear up some HDTV myths here.

1. You have to have an HDTV. Nope. You most likely won't need an HDTV when the analog shutdown occurs in Feb 2009. The only people who will absolutely need an HDTV or an HD tuner are people who rely upon over-the-air (antenna) for their TV signal.

Folks who have cable are safe at least until 2011, which is when the FCC will cease to require cable companies carry an analog signal.

Even then, since the majority of owners have cable boxes, the cable box will handle the conversion from HD to analog for your older TV. If it doesn't, just ask the cable co for one.

2. You need an HDTV tuner. Odds are, you won't. If you but a newer HDTV (certainly anything made after 2005) you don't.

There are only a handful of people who need the separate tuner. First, folks with older HDTVs that were sold at a higher price and often didn't have the tuner built-in in order to save cost. Second, folks with analog systems that want to keep using an antenna but don't want to buy a new TV. Third, folks who have antennas and bought cheaper brands with worse tuners built-in. Fourth, most folks using projectors, because very few HD projectors have the tuner built-in.

3. The changeover will be done next year. For the most part, no. However, some stations are making an early commitment to shutting down their old transmitters.

4. Everything will be in full HD after Feb 2009. Not even close. All the FCC requires is that the signal be digital. A 480i or a 480p signal in digital meets the FCC requirements.

In fact, right now there is a big stink in Erie, Pa because one of the local stations all but said they do not care to waste the effort to go true HD.

The bulk of what is on, except for a few really dedicated networks such as PBS, HDNet and Universal HD, is not in HD. Even in 2007 most of the programming outside of major sports and primetime is not full HD (720p or 1080i).

5. You need an HD antenna. Nope. HDTV is being carried on the current channels. The only change is that channels 51-69 are being sold off for use by cell phone companies.

6. The changeover effects every channel. Nope. The changeover is only required for broadcasters with FCC licenses. Cable and satellite channels are not effected. However, 2007 has been a banner year for cable and sat channels going HD. So, by the time the cable analogs are turned off, most of the biggies (Discovery, MTV, etc.) should be in HD nationwide. However, the cable and sat cos are being a bit slow. Cable is generally making less progress than satellite right now.

- - -

The one thing I absolutely will tell you is that if you are running an antenna-only HD system you need to get it up and tested in or before summer 2008.

So many of the HD channels are running in the UHF channels. UHF propagates very differently than VHF. If you are in a very hilly region, or are more than 40 miles from the transmitter, you're probably going to lose a few channels you're used to receiving by antenna unless you make sure you have an antenna suited for UHF and upper VHF channels.

Especially if you're in the north and have to use an outdoor antenna, it isn't always a smart idea to be tinkering with a rooftop antenna install in February.

Even many indoor antenna users are reporting reduced performance from HD. UHF doesn't make it down to the ground as well as VHF does. Make sure you don't need an outdoor antenna before 2008 is over.

- - -

Added bonus: in 2008 you will be able to apply to the FCC for two $40 vouchers for set-top conversion boxes. Basically, these boxes will ensure you can run HDTV on your older system.

However, the FCC only intends to issue vouchers to households who request them.

- - -

If you're serious about going HD, take the time to look on the HDTV message boards on AVSForum.com. They are diehards, but they will dumb it down for you if you need them to.

AVSForum is the most valuable resource out there during the analog shutdown.

Check out this "simple" explanation:

From my understanding, NTSC is on its way out and ATSC is the newer technology. If you buy a TV that has ONLY an NTSC tuner, after 2009 you will have to buy a digital box to convert the signal to ATSC.