Tickets at Walmart

jellybean051901

I'm against the ticket idea. The first people in line can get one of each ticket and go away and decide what they want. Merchandise reserved for their tickets is unavailable for others -- and could go unsold. This *may* be part of the reason for tickets -- get people in the store without selling merchandise at BF prices ;)

When all run at the merchandise, more people have a shot at the deals.

Maybe, the answer is to have tickets handed out for each item inside the store?

A few hours before the store opened the manager kept coming out to just survey the line. I was the first in line (not a super center) I asked them if they were giving out tickets, he looked at me like I was crazy but came back out with tickets scribbled out on torn pieces of paper for the big screen tvs and computers. You would think they would want to for the big ticket items...for a little less stamped, but it is true a good amount left the line when they realized the big item was gone. I am all for tickets..first come first serve baby :).

I'm against the ticket idea. The first people in line can get one of each ticket and go away and decide what they want. Merchandise reserved for their tickets is unavailable for others -- and could go unsold. This *may* be part of the reason for tickets -- get people in the store without selling merchandise at BF prices ;)

When all run at the merchandise, more people have a shot at the deals.

Maybe, the answer is to have tickets handed out for each item inside the store?

The WM by my handed out tickets once inside the door. The problem was the mad rush to the bck of the store to get the tickets. That is when people were pushing and running and falling. Once the tickets were passed out though you have until a certain time to pick up the item. That avoided things not getting sold. Plus the items I think need a ticket are the very limited doorbusters like the big screen TV WM had last year for $498 (unsure of exact price). Plus if you have been in line for hours upon hours you should be the one to get the item, not someone twenty people back in line that pushes their way in.

The WM by my handed out tickets once inside the door. The problem was the mad rush to the bck of the store to get the tickets. That is when people were pushing and running and falling. Once the tickets were passed out though you have until a certain time to pick up the item. That avoided things not getting sold. Plus the items I think need a ticket are the very limited doorbusters like the big screen TV WM had last year for $498 (unsure of exact price). Plus if you have been in line for hours upon hours you should be the one to get the item, not someone twenty people back in line that pushes their way in.

Exactly ! They only did tickets for the 2 major items and they only had 2 tvs and 5 computers. They gave the tickets out before they let everyone in. No tickets would have been so so unfair there was an older man behind me that had been out overnight just like me and he would not have stood a chance on the tv which is what he was there for.

I think the reason most people wouldn't rush to get that ticketed item is because well, they have the ticket, so they can get other things and then go get that item. I know I would probably do the same thing. Why rush to get it when it should be there and I can get other stuff that's limited stock but no tickets were given out?

i had a ticket from target for a wii last dec. not black friday. they passed the tickets out 1/2 before the store opened. my husband and i left to get some breakfast since we had the ticket. got back 1/2 after they opened and our wii was gone. they said since we were not there they gave it to someone else.

i had a ticket from target for a wii last dec. not black friday. they passed the tickets out 1/2 before the store opened. my husband and i left to get some breakfast since we had the ticket. got back 1/2 after they opened and our wii was gone. they said since we were not there they gave it to someone else.

Gee, they really stick by their ticket policy, eh? That's really crappy of them. If they pass out tickets, they need to honor them--and not give them to someone else who just walked in. I'd be so mad!!!

My local store in Corsicana Tx gives out tickets. They everyone just stands around from like 3:30 in the morning until 5. I usually stake out one toy and grab one for someone else that is staking out something else.Then we trade. I always run into friends at BF.

My experience with WM was a little different than any of the others I've heard so far. This was not last year, but two years ago when they had the $378 hp laptop. Someone in Electronics lined everyone up around 1 a.m. (granted I'd been there since 11 p.m. and by that point those of us who were waiting for the laptop had pretty much organized ourselves) and made a list of 25 for each of the laptops they had in stock. We were told if we wanted the laptop we would have to pay for it in layaway, and would not be able to "line-up" for any of the other big ticket items. There was some dissent from a few people who felt they should've been able to get a laptop even though they were late arriving (comparatively speaking), but on the whole it was a pretty good solution in my mind. They also did this for whatever big TV they had that year, which kept one person from buying everything available.

Side note, there was one really ticked off man who was screaming at the store manager about how could all the laptops be sold already if the sale started at 5 a.m. which I overheard as I was leaving. She responded that had he really wanted one he should've came to the store and waited since midnight or earlier like everyone else. I thought that was pretty cool.

Guest mldepalma

The walmarts in CT hand out tickets. They have for at least the past 4 years. Not on everything. But TVs usually. laptops are usually a run and grab. When furby's were big was the first time I remember them giving out tickets.

Which Walmart do you go to? I usually go to the one in Danbury and it is a complete CRAZY MESS! Everyone pushing and shoving and so on. I went 2 years ago and almost got trampled, so I didn't go back last year. Did they change things??

LAst year we asked the manager at the Walmart that we shop at why they didn't pass out tickets for items like the TVs. The manager told us that the head offices wouldn't allow it. Did anyone else have this problem? I think it would be safer to do that instead of having people run to the back of the store. Last year people were falling and getting stepped on trying to make a dash for the eight Tvs they had. I would think that safety would be a higher priority. I wonder why they won't pass out the tickets?

I know that in years past my Wal-Mart has passed out tickets for the big Tv's and Computers. I would think it would be easier for them and the most fair for all involved. Have a great holiday.:cheesy:

My brther in law and I had to RUN to the back of the store (we were first in line) to get one of the 4 52" projection TV's/

It is awesome and I love it.

We ended up with two so I gave one to the lady who was third in line (and a little slow) :)

I am really hoping the have a decent Protable DVD player as mine is starting to show it's age.

Tickets are a necessity to maintain accountability-stress aside of all the bum-rushers we've seen over the year(s). If a store lets everyone in pell-mell, they deserve what they get, p-o'd customers & in my case, two w.m. locations don't have my busness for years.

Free market means cringing "oh please allow me a chance at your product"? No muchacho, you don't provide a safe, secure, organized environment (for the most part-c'mon), you'll get no repeat busness.

Great timing for this post huh? Oh, and thanks for the security cameras, allowing RV's to park overnite, and handing out 'how to apply for state & federal employment benefits while you stick to minimum wage practices. (Me thinks I rant too much and need to buy something on sale - now!)

What I think walmart should do is have a lottery system. You get a ticket (day or two before)specifically for the item you want. If your numbers come up. You win. No pushing, No shoving, No stampeding. Fairness and, to boot you have to come just early enough to be in that "buy window" (20-45 minutes from announcement). Tickets would have to be properly watermarked/signed to prevent spontaneous counterfeiting.

What I think walmart should do is have a lottery system. You get a ticket (day or two before)specifically for the item you want. If your numbers come up. You win. No pushing, No shoving, No stampeding. Fairness and, to boot you have to come just early enough to be in that "buy window" (20-45 minutes from announcement). Tickets would have to be properly watermarked/signed to prevent spontaneous counterfeiting.

I think the way our Walmart does it is just fine first come first serve, i was number 5 in the 2 years ago lap top I was there at 1:00am lined up at sporting goods. We in the line stick together and we had no problems since the people behind the counter knew who was there. same thing last year for the MPS 2nd in line and my employees son was behind me as I needed two. I also got everything elses as I had my kids at the pallets for the Camara's, brats dolls, and the movies, got everything I wanted and was out of the store by 5:30 and on to Target we went.

We're lucky, one of our friends works the graveyard shift at walmart and we always call him when we're on our way and meet up with him somewhere in the store and he'll give us his map that the employees use to get the pallets in the right spot. I know it's sort of cheating but the first year we went to walmart we just happened to run into him and asked him if he knew where something was and he handed us the map and has called us every year since and asked if we want a map. We share the info we get with other people because there is no order to where anything is put.

We're lucky, one of our friends works the graveyard shift at walmart and we always call him when we're on our way and meet up with him somewhere in the store and he'll give us his map that the employees use to get the pallets in the right spot. I know it's sort of cheating but the first year we went to walmart we just happened to run into him and asked him if he knew where something was and he handed us the map and has called us every year since and asked if we want a map. We share the info we get with other people because there is no order to where anything is put.

we get maps too

They gave out some tickets last year at the Tillman's Corner Walmart. But there was not many giant Tvs and it was a mess. Nobody knew where to go and get in line for the TVs. This was a Super walmart and we got there at midnight. We bought one of the 68.00 20 inch tvs and tons of toys. We was not shopping for anything that needed tickets.

We will probably be standing in the cold this year some where else due to all of the BS over the BF ads.

Lottery system is unfair to the diehards who have waited in line. It allows anyone to walk up and become the first one to get that item. The tickets need to be handed out to the people in the order that they are in line.

I didn't go to walmart last year but in the past years they give maps to everyone and, tell you where an item is and tell how many items they have. It is still chaotic but at least you know where to run. When I got the hp laptop I had to run back to electronics to get the ticket, check out and then pick it up in optical alot of people were upset because they thought that you got the ticket for the laptop in optical. The mangares said at least ten times where the tickets were for the laptops were

By the way mine still works great and I was #2 to get my item that year!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think Best Buy is the only major store chain that does that. Dunno if they have some sort of exclusive rights to it or something. If they can, I think it might be a good idea to hand out tickets or sheets granting people in line, starting with the first and moving down until they're completely sold out of all tickets, the exclusive items so everyone can calmly go about their business once inside and prevent stampedes. Most places I've been to on BF have plenty of security to prevent any major incidents from happening anyway. And there's alot of griping by BB line waiters about skipping people in line while handing them out so the idea isn't perfect.

Our walmart does it... they even did it when the PS3 and Wii were being sold last year... also the staples is very well organized in handing out tickets for every item they have on sell black friday, they walk down the line from the front before it opens and have tickets for every item on sale, youtell them which your wanting and they give you a ticket for it if its still available. clean and simple.

Thats the way it should be...otherwise you can move on to the next store and try to get the item that you need. Would make the customer very happy knowing up front if they are getting the item or not. I tried to suggest that to our "new" store....but I am assuming they will not listen.

Last year ours did something like a ticket thing but after they opened. It was horrible. They had a staging area where you stood inline (again) got the ticket for what you wanted. Then to another area where you stood inline (again) and paid for your item. Then.... you stood in another line for them to bring it out to you. I think it might of looked good at first, but was awful. They should of done something at the front door, would of been more fair.

Our store handed out tickets for the Secret Sale Items. The huge tv (what was it? 52 inches?), a plasma or LCD tv and a computer ( I think). They only had 3 of the tv's so they handed out the tickets and turned everyone else away.

What about if there was a one ticket limit, per person. For any item. So, if you wanted both a laptop and a tv, you could only get 1 or the other...unless you had more people with you.

BF 2005, I waited outside CC for HOURS, and there were a couple of people in line in front of me. What they didn't mention, and I didn't know, was that they had another 15 people waiting in cars in the parking lot that were going to join them at opening time. When the people came around with the tickets, they all took all of the tickets, whether it was something they intended to buy or not. As it turned out, I didn't get anything I went after, and I still don't shop at CC. Anyway, I think a one ticket per person would be a fair solution...kind of like waiting in line for each individual item, it forces us to prioritize.