>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

This is the official thread for Black Friday related discussion of digital cameras, regardless of if the items are actually in ads or not.

This post will be updated with information about digital cameras that appear in Black Friday ads as they are released.

As this thread will likely get very long, if you are responding to a specific question or comment, please quote that post to keep the thread easy to follow.

If you are looking for a deal before Black Friday on a specific digital camera, post in our Deal Finder Service board and others can help you out.

Threads posted about digital cameras in the Black Friday Discussion forum will likely be merged into this forum, so to help out the admins and mods, please keep all discussion in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Do they ever have DSLR cameras on sale on BF?

Some stores should. Not too many, though, as they're not quite as popular to common consumers but more towards the pros. For example: Last year a few stores had the Canon XTi Digital SLR for about $900.

The stores that usually have 'em on BF are Best Buy, CompUSA, and Circuit City. Maybe some others but those are the biggies.

i really want a new camera for christmas. not a 900.00 one, but a good one thats updated.

What is a good one?

Those $900 ones previously discussed above are more towards the professionals and certainly not for the typical consumer.

A good one would be any 7MP basic digital camera. People seem to lean towards HP or Kodak for ease of use. They'll be a big seller on BF, probably around $100 or so. The 8-9MP cameras are coming out nowdays and those are currently going for about $150-200 a pop. I gotta feeling it's gonna be a sweet BF for camera buffs. :D

i really want a new camera for christmas. not a 900.00 one, but a good one thats updated.

What is a good one?

You can get "SLR like" cameras, which have alot of the same capabilities as the higher priced digital SLRs, for the point & shoot price.

The Canon Powershot S5 IS has alot of power for a point and shoot, and is half the price ($400-$450 ish) of the Canon Rebels. At the same time, there are extra lenses and flashes that can be purchased to up the quality and power. The S5 is 8mp, 12x optical zoom, with image stabilization and face detection features, as well as in-camera-photo editing options.

If you're still deterred by the $450 price tag, look into the Powershot S3 IS. It's a slightly older model, 6mp, 12x optical zoom but still high power and SLR like, with the option for lenses. Megapixel isn't everything, after all. 6mp will print 11"x16" images without a problem. You can order one of these from walmart's website right now for $302.54 with free site-to-store shipping.

Flickr has a feature now that allows you to explore photos based on what type of camera took them. I find this is a fantastic way to see both amateur and professional quality photographs that have been taken with the camera I'm curious about.

• 2 weeks later...

Those $900 ones previously discussed above are more towards the professionals and certainly not for the typical consumer.

A good one would be any 7MP basic digital camera. People seem to lean towards HP or Kodak for ease of use. They'll be a big seller on BF, probably around $100 or so. The 8-9MP cameras are coming out nowdays and those are currently going for about $150-200 a pop. I gotta feeling it's gonna be a sweet BF for camera buffs. :D

I hope you are right. DS told me he wants one.

My dd wants a pink kodak easy share, I have been looking online. Found these so far. Keeping fingers crossed for better deal BF.

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-EasyShare-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000OQG9Y6/ref=sr_1_5/102-8626889-9518539?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1189112340&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-EasyShare-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000TJY4ZO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/102-8626889-9518539?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189111326&sr=8-5

The reason she want an easy share is that is the kind I have and she likes mine. Plus she wont buy batteries and Im not either, lol.

Keep in mind battery cost, look for a rechargable battery camera.

My dd wants a pink kodak easy share, I have been looking online. Found these so far. Keeping fingers crossed for better deal BF.

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-EasyShare-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000OQG9Y6/ref=sr_1_5/102-8626889-9518539?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1189112340&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-EasyShare-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000TJY4ZO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/102-8626889-9518539?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189111326&sr=8-5

The reason she want an easy share is that is the kind I have and she likes mine. Plus she wont buy batteries and Im not either, lol.

Keep in mind battery cost, look for a rechargable battery camera.

You might watch Target. As I recall one of the stores I was at last weekend had the pink kodak cameras on clearance.

THe Kodak v803 is a nice camera, I have it and like it. (2nd kodak, the first works great, just wanted a purple camera to be different.). ANd you don't have to use the dock to charge it, it has an ac adaptor, so I can keep both charged. My first camera was a silver one but I went to skinit.com and got a pink skin for it so it's pink and silver now.

yeah, i Definitely will get one with a rechargeable battery this year! The one I currently have goes through batteries like they're going out of style... and thats with the viewscreen turned OFF!

I have so much to learn I did not they had cameras that could recharge!! Can someone please tell me what is the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom.

I thought I only needed one camera but now it is definitely 2 and I need to get more educated about them.

I am in the market for a entry level digital SLR myself and am hoping to find one this BF. I'm hoping to get a deal on the Nikon D40, D40x or th Canon Digital Rebel XT or Xti, we'll see. There's a Sony SLR that's pretty nice too. Has anyone heard of any deals involving SLR's this year? I'm hoping for under $400!

• 2 weeks later...
I am in the market for a quality digital SLR (as in almost professional). I have some family events coming up that it might be nice to have it for, but if I can save more than 20% I would be willing to wait until BF. Do you think that this type of camera will be on sale on BF?

I'm in the market for a better camera than I currently have.

I'd love a SLR, but Not too sure if I can afford all the lenses I'd want for it.

I like to take pics of my boys playing sports and lots of scenic shots.

But also some upclose macro shots too.. so I need something better than what I

have. I have a dig camera that is low in MP's but takes great action shots.

Macro on it sucks though. :(

I have so much to learn I did not they had cameras that could recharge!! Can someone please tell me what is the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom.

I thought I only needed one camera but now it is definitely 2 and I need to get more educated about them.

Optical zoom gives you better quality - It is more like traditional zoom on a film camera.

If you've ever seen digital photos that are grainy, usually it is taken when you are zoomed all the way in. Most cameras nowadays use their "optical" zoom and then if you zoom further, it makes up for it in "digital" zoom.

I have a really great SLR "like" camera - Fuji Finepix, but want a nice little point and shoot - I think I may take more pictures if I can carry it with me constantly. The Fuji is just bigger and bulkier because it has the nose like a SLR would with the lenses... I think I'm going to stick with either a Fuji again or an Olympus because I've had great luck with the Fuji and my parents have had 2 olympus cameras and loved them both!

• 2 weeks later...

Canon Powershot S5 is no longer on the Walmart website..... Anywhere else with a decent price?

You can get "SLR like" cameras, which have alot of the same capabilities as the higher priced digital SLRs, for the point & shoot price.

The Canon Powershot S5 IS has alot of power for a point and shoot, and is half the price ($400-$450 ish) of the Canon Rebels. At the same time, there are extra lenses and flashes that can be purchased to up the quality and power. The S5 is 8mp, 12x optical zoom, with image stabilization and face detection features, as well as in-camera-photo editing options.

If you're still deterred by the $450 price tag, look into the Powershot S3 IS. It's a slightly older model, 6mp, 12x optical zoom but still high power and SLR like, with the option for lenses. Megapixel isn't everything, after all. 6mp will print 11"x16" images without a problem. You can order one of these from walmart's website right now for $302.54 with free site-to-store shipping.

Flickr has a feature now that allows you to explore photos based on what type of camera took them. I find this is a fantastic way to see both amateur and professional quality photographs that have been taken with the camera I'm curious about.