>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Ahhhhh, all these bundles!!! (had to vent, was holding it in too long)

BB - Canon rebel XT ($699.97) with 2 lenses (18-55mm & 75-300mm)

+ accessory kit (bag, battery & UV filter)

CC - Nikon D40 ($649.99) with 2 lenses (18-55mm & 55-200mm)

- Canon ($879.99) 10MP, with 2 lenses (75-300mm & 18-55mm)

(is this the XTI?)

Decisions, decisions. :eyepoppin

Ahhhhh, all these bundles!!! (had to vent, was holding it in too long)

BB - Canon rebel XT ($699.97) with 2 lenses (18-55mm & 75-300mm)

+ accessory kit (bag, battery & UV filter)

CC - Nikon D40 ($649.99) with 2 lenses (18-55mm & 55-200mm)

- Canon ($879.99) 10MP, with 2 lenses (75-300mm & 18-55mm)

(is this the XTI?)

Decisions, decisions. :eyepoppin

That is the XTi.

The choice will drive you nuts!!! :D

I was hoping for a Canon 30D or 40D package deal, but I guess that's a bit over the typical consumer level. Oh well. I may just try to pick up a used 30D if I don't find anything soon.

Of the package deals from BB and CC, I'd say that the Rebel XT package is probably the best value. Plus, Best Buy will have the 2GB Extreme II CF card for a reasonable price ($24.99), which is a good match for a DSLR camera.

I was hoping for a Canon 30D or 40D package deal, but I guess that's a bit over the typical consumer level. Oh well. I may just try to pick up a used 30D if I don't find anything soon.

Of the package deals from BB and CC, I'd say that the Rebel XT package is probably the best value. Plus, Best Buy will have the 2GB Extreme II CF card for a reasonable price ($24.99), which is a good match for a DSLR camera.

If you decide to go the used 30D route, let me know. I have an extra 30D I might be looking to unload. :)

Did anyone else get an invite to the invite only Best Buy Sale this sunday after hours? I think I am going to go with that Camera Bundle over the BF ones so far.

It is the 40D with a 18-55 lens a 75-300 zoom lens and a 430 EX Flash for 999. Plus I have a 12% off reward zone card since it is my birthday, and there is nothing there saying I can't use it on it to get the price down to around $880

Did anyone else get an invite to the invite only Best Buy Sale this sunday after hours? I think I am going to go with that Camera Bundle over the BF ones so far.

It is the 40D with a 18-55 lens a 75-300 zoom lens and a 430 EX Flash for 999. Plus I have a 12% off reward zone card since it is my birthday, and there is nothing there saying I can't use it on it to get the price down to around $880

WHAT?????!!!! No way!

Unless I am reading something way wrong, yes.

I am sure the lenses are not top of the line, but it shows the XTi 10.1 Megapixel and shows the item number.

I just have to get there early.

I guess it is for frequent reward-zone members, invite only and you have to bring your invite with the code number with you.

Unless I am reading something way wrong, yes.

I am sure the lenses are not top of the line, but it shows the XTi 10.1 Megapixel and shows the item number.

I just have to get there early.

I guess it is for frequent reward-zone members, invite only and you have to bring your invite with the code number with you.

LOL... that's the 400D not the 40D. I about had a heart attack!

I'm guessing at that price, they are actually selling the XTi, then. The standard lens with the 40D would be a 28-135mm lens. I don't see why they would give your the XT / XTi lens with the 40D.

Edit - Yeah, after reading the new posts, my heart rate has slowed a bit.

Originally Posted by Spotted1

You can get "SLR like" cameras, which have alot of the same capabilities as the higher priced digital SLRs, for the point & shoot price.

The Canon Powershot S5 IS has alot of power for a point and shoot, and is half the price ($400-$450 ish) of the Canon Rebels. At the same time, there are extra lenses and flashes that can be purchased to up the quality and power. The S5 is 8mp, 12x optical zoom, with image stabilization and face detection features, as well as in-camera-photo editing options.

If you're still deterred by the $450 price tag, look into the Powershot S3 IS. It's a slightly older model, 6mp, 12x optical zoom but still high power and SLR like, with the option for lenses. Megapixel isn't everything, after all. 6mp will print 11"x16" images without a problem. You can order one of these from Wal-Mart's website right now for $302.54 with free site-to-store shipping.

Flickr has a feature now that allows you to explore photos based on what type of camera took them. I find this is a fantastic way to see both amateur and professional quality photographs that have been taken with the camera I'm curious about.

I'm looking for a camera that does a few specific things. I have been looking at this one and the Canon Rebel and would even consider other cameras if I knew which one to get. I don't want to buy the wrong one. I have wasted enough money on cameras in teh last few years. I need to be able to take sports shots outdoors for soccer and baseball without chaseing my kids around and getting on the field. lol I also want to be able to take a series of shots ( 2-3) quickly. The other important thing is that I need to be able to take decent photos indoors with poor lighting, ie in a gym for awards programs or basketball games. I don't do alot of fancy stuff with my pictures other than red-eye reduction for my blue-eyed kids and cropping. I also don't make posters so I don't need tons of megapixels. Anyone have any thoghts? I'd sure appreciate it. I did see the package deal at BB but wonder if that is too much camera.

KAthy

Sorry if I'm interrupting a good conversation on HQ cameras, but my sister-in-law is looking for a new digital camera. She currently has some old 3.2 MP camera that takes below average pictures.

She's looking for a nice camera that will takes pictures that would make nice 8x10 prints. She's also looking to keep it around the $100 mark (This is a little flexible, I might convince her to go up to $150). Now, I know more MP the better, but MP isn't exactly what makes a camera good. Any suggestions, what with Best buy and Circuit City's ads released now?

DaFees - The Canon A560 is currently $127 shipped from Amazon.com, and that's a better camera and better deal than I've seen in the BF ads for entry-level digital cameras. If I were her, I'd jump on that one and free up a shopping item on BF.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-A560-Digital-Optical/dp/B000NK3NBA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1194636258&sr=1-3

I'm looking for a camera that does a few specific things. I have been looking at this one and the Canon Rebel and would even consider other cameras if I knew which one to get. I don't want to buy the wrong one. I have wasted enough money on cameras in teh last few years. I need to be able to take sports shots outdoors for soccer and baseball without chaseing my kids around and getting on the field. lol I also want to be able to take a series of shots ( 2-3) quickly. The other important thing is that I need to be able to take decent photos indoors with poor lighting, ie in a gym for awards programs or basketball games. I don't do alot of fancy stuff with my pictures other than red-eye reduction for my blue-eyed kids and cropping. I also don't make posters so I don't need tons of megapixels. Anyone have any thoghts? I'd sure appreciate it. I did see the package deal at BB but wonder if that is too much camera.

KAthy

Kathy - I think the SLR package from Best Buy would be great for you, but I think you'd have to get there pretty early to get a ticket for that item. The only reason I recommend this is because you say that you are tired of wasting money on cameras. With a DSLR setup, you can get the lenses that suit your needs and not have to learn a new camera.

However, as far as functionality goes, it sounds like the S3 IS or S5 IS from Canon would both suit your needs. They have a great zoom (better than a stock DSLR kit lens), it can take 1.5 shots per second if you have it on continuous drive, and they have image stabiliztion, so you can get those shots free-handed. Both cameras also have a "sports" mode, to help you capture action shots.

I need to be able to take sports shots outdoors for soccer and baseball without chaseing my kids around and getting on the field. lol I also want to be able to take a series of shots ( 2-3) quickly. The other important thing is that I need to be able to take decent photos indoors with poor lighting, ie in a gym for awards programs or basketball games. I don't do alot of fancy stuff with my pictures other than red-eye reduction for my blue-eyed kids and cropping. I also don't make posters so I don't need tons of megapixels.

KAthy

Sounds like everything I want to do with my camera as well.. but one thing, If you

get that once in a lifetime shot of your kid smacking/catching a ball, your gonna want

to blow it up... trust me! :)

I posted this awhile ago on the forum, and wish I had it in more mp's to blow up.

I've taken a couple shots like this, and you cant redo it.. so my advice is, if you

can afford it, get the ones with more mps. :)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/dmmiller_2007/Baseball%202007/codyslides3rd.jpg

I'm planning on getting a camera this bf and was wondering if the Nikon S51 8.1 MP Camera was good or not? its priced at 199, and im not too good with cameras. any help would be appreciated. the only downside to it is that the ad advertised it as a pink nikon and was wondering if i should go ahead and wander around the web to find a similar deal but different color?

Welcome to GottaDeal, Jim!

For $200, I would much rather recommend to you a camera that has an optical zoom. The digital only zoom cameras will soon disappoint you, since anything that you zoom in on will not have great quality.

For ultra-compact cameras under $200, I don't think you can go wrong with a Canon SD1000 or a Sony DSC-W80. Take a look at them (www.dpreview.com is a good place to start) and see what you think. You should be able to walk into any electronics department and handle those cameras, too, so that you can compare them physically.

DaFees - The Canon A560 is currently $127 shipped from Amazon.com, and that's a better camera and better deal than I've seen in the BF ads for entry-level digital cameras. If I were her, I'd jump on that one and free up a shopping item on BF.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-A560-Digital-Optical/dp/B000NK3NBA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1194636258&sr=1-3

Thank you for your suggestion, I showed it to my sister-in-law and she liked what she saw. She wasn't sure if she'd jump on it right away, but she did like it nonetheless. Thank you.

I just went to check this camera out myself...I think i'm in love :cheesy: It's shipping free and with a free photo calender from Shutterfly AND a free battery charger/batteries for the camera...all for less than the black friday models....is there ANY reason I shouldn't buy this immediatly???

katiesmommy - I don't see why you shouldn't buy it. You like it and if it suits your needs, it's a good fit. I've purchased the Canon A series cameras for my Grandparents, Parents, MIL, and sister and they have all been more than pleased with them. They are a great line of cameras and are simple for anyone to use.

Has anyone found any good deals on the Canon 40D yet? I have the Rebel XT right now and I would really love to be able to convince my husband that Santa needs to bring me a new camera for Christmas. I keep looking online at some of the different stores (locally and in New York), but the price seems to be the same no matter where I look (around $1200 body only). Any one seen anything better?

Holly

Has anyone found any good deals on the Canon 40D yet? I have the Rebel XT right now and I would really love to be able to convince my husband that Santa needs to bring me a new camera for Christmas. I keep looking online at some of the different stores (locally and in New York), but the price seems to be the same no matter where I look (around $1200 body only). Any one seen anything better?

Holly

I really don't think there is going to be a good deal on one. Canon doesn't generally budge on the pricing until the next model comes out. Since the 40D has only been out since Sept. It's not going to happen anytime soon. Sadly, the Canon rebates were kind of a joke this year too.

Guest mack222

Very good suggestion. Great camera for great price. 7.2 MP is more than enough for 8x10's. I've seen great 8x10's from a 4MP camera.

Help.... I'm looking for a camera for my 8 year old daughter... I'm not wanting to spend more than $150... It must have a rechargable lit-ion battery as I'm tired of buying batteries for the one she is currently using and the rechargable AA's dont seem to last very long. I also "don't" want a bundle with a printer as I'll be back in the same position only this time buying ink every other week.