>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Hi! I'm not sure how much price is a factor in this. You say you have a problem with blurry shots, I understand that!

For $70 bucks more, you could move up the A570 IS which adds image stabalization.

This comes in great for indoor low light shots and night sports.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00353439000P?filter=Brand%7CCanon&vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Cameras+%26+Camcorders&sName=Digital+Cameras+%26+Bundles

Thanks for the help. Price is a big factor. $119.00 for us is a great fit in our budget. I'm mainly looking for under $200,but would love to find a great deal.

Linda

I'm looking for a recommendation for a digital camera and/or video camera. I take pics and video of EVERYTHING, and I've tried many times to learn how to set shutter speeds and so on to be a "real" photographer but when it comes time to take a photo, I always just use the standard mode, so I'm looking for something simple, preferably smallish, that will take clear pics. Right now I have a Minolta Z2 that I got in 2004. At the time it was one of only a few cameras that would take video...I love that feature. I'd like to be able to do away with a video camera altogether...or is that crazy? Is there a camera available that would allow me to video a clip and print good quality still pics from it?

I don't need a lot of megapixels because I rarely print larger than 4 x 6. I definitely want plenty of optical zoom and image stabilization. I'd love to be able to take great action shots of my DD on stage during school programs. I don't care if you can add lenses or a flash (my Minolta lets me do that but I've never bothered to learn).

I'd go as high as $700-$800 if I could replace both my camera and video camera, but of course $200-$300 would be better. Am I dreaming? Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to GottaDeal cassidyfan!

From what you say, I would recommend a Canon S5 IS for you. It's an excellent digital point-and-shoot, but can take video clips up the the amount of free storage you have on your card. I don't think that there's really a all-in-one solution, yet, that doesn't have to compromise on either the video or photo side.

Here's a review / preview of the S5 IS: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/

Welcome to GottaDeal cassidyfan!

From what you say, I would recommend a Canon S5 IS for you. It's an excellent digital point-and-shoot, but can take video clips up the the amount of free storage you have on your card. I don't think that there's really a all-in-one solution, yet, that doesn't have to compromise on either the video or photo side.

Here's a review / preview of the S5 IS: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/

That is exactly what I was going to recommend!

One of the amazing things about the S5 is you can add a hot shoe flash if you decide you ever need some extra power for your lighting!

Polaroid 7MP Digital Camera w/ Free Energizer Lithium Batteries $69.99 *after rebate

Does anyone have any thoughts about this camera listed in the Walgreens BF ad? I know you probably need the specifics (which are not yet available) to comment, but thought I'd ask anyway.

the D40 / D40x are great cameras, but if you are going to buy one, you should know that they will only Auto-Focus with AF-S and AF-I lenses, so if you have an older lens, everything will probably be manual focus. The higher end Nikons and the entry level Canon cameras have a focus drive, so they can auto-focus with a non AF lens.

Manual is fine -- my dad trained me on his camera with that lens a number of years ago, so a quick refresher and practice will take care of it. I actually like having some control over the lens. :D

Polaroid 7MP Digital Camera w/ Free Energizer Lithium Batteries $69.99 *after rebate

Does anyone have any thoughts about this camera listed in the Walgreens BF ad? I know you probably need the specifics (which are not yet available) to comment, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm going to guess that it's their 7mp model with only digital zoom, which I wouldn't even consider buying. If you are looking for a very basic (and very cheap) entry level camera, you might consider trying to get the Sony DSC-S700 camera from Sears for $89.99. It's in their BF ad, in the early bird specials.

I'm going to guess that it's their 7mp model with only digital zoom, which I wouldn't even consider buying. If you are looking for a very basic (and very cheap) entry level camera, you might consider trying to get the Sony DSC-S700 camera from Sears for $89.99. It's in their BF ad, in the early bird specials.

Office Max has it for 100 with a free printer on BF. The reviews are good but if I am reading this right it does not have a view finder.

I need two digital cameras for Christmas, maybe three. I need ones that do not delay after you take the picture, rechargeable, 7.0 mp or higher , digital and optical zoom. Any recommendations?

I am really open to all suggestions but would like it to be under 150 if possible. I was considering the one at office max for DS but it does not have a view finder and I really want the rechargeable. No one I am geting these for is a professional photogrher but 2 do scrapbook. What would you suggest mrn8???

That is exactly what I was going to recommend!

One of the amazing things about the S5 is you can add a hot shoe flash if you decide you ever need some extra power for your lighting!

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm still researching reviews on dpreview and Steve's digicam. I'm so torn. I really was hoping for something smaller and cheaper unless it will truly replace both my camera and video camera. I found a new Kodak that looked promising, but it has no view finder. Now I've read that IS increases shutter lag??...shutter lag terrifies me. lol. So now I'm wondering if I should give up the high optical zoom...my zoomed photos always end up dark anyway. Ugh.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm still researching reviews on dpreview and Steve's digicam. I'm so torn. I really was hoping for something smaller and cheaper unless it will truly replace both my camera and video camera. I found a new Kodak that looked promising, but it has no view finder. Now I've read that IS increases shutter lag??...shutter lag terrifies me. lol. So now I'm wondering if I should give up the high optical zoom...my zoomed photos always end up dark anyway. Ugh.

I think the last thing I would ever give up on is the high optical zoom. Nothing better for trips to the zoo, or kids on the playground.

All P&S are going to have a fair amount of shutter lag, some better than others, but I've never heard IS blamed for that though? IS has to do with the lens itself and not the processor. One thing to help decrease your lag by a small amount is to turn off your review shot option. Really though it's going to depend on the processor in the end. If you were to go ahead with the S5 or S3 even, you would be able to have alot of available shooting modes, TV, AV and M. Most times you can fine tune these settings to help you get better shots that what you will be getting in "green box" mose. That would help with your dark long distance shots.

What about the Kodak Easy Share C513 that best buy has for 89.99 in pink? It is advertised on the main page of gottadeal. Would it be a good beginner camera for a 14 yr old?

Yeah, that would be a great camera for a 14 year old. I'd say that the Canon A560 ($127 shipped from Amazon.com right now) would be even better, if they have a serious interest in photography. If they are just wanting to snap some pics of whatever they do with their friends, though, the Kodak is adequate.

kimmie - You should be able to find a DSLR kit on BF in the somewhere in the $450-$650 range. Sears has the Nikon D40 kit advertised at $449.99. That may be an easier one to get than to try to get doorbusters at Best Buy, Circuit City or Walmart. Sears will also have the Canon Digital Rebel XT kit for $600. That's not a great deal, because I know I've seen it cheaper in recent days, since it's one kit older than the current Rebel XTi.

Watch this portion of the site for posted BF DSLR deals: http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/BlackFridaySales/Category/DigitalCameras

Do you think this is this a good deal?

Kingston 2GB Secure Digital Memory Card (SD/2GB, Retail Package)

$14.99

Canon PowerShot A570IS 7.1MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

$153.76

Items: $168.75

Shipping & Handling: $6.76

Super Saver Discount: -$6.76

Promotion Applied: -$14.99

Reward Applied: -$0.00

Total Before Tax: $153.76

$153 is a good deal for the A570IS alone. The added 2GB card makes it a very nice deal. :yup:

Thank you! I thought it was a good price (and it is the EXACT model my son asked for), but I wanted to see what others thought. The cheapest I had seen the A570IS was $199...

I'm getting it! One more present down. :)

Do you think this is this a good deal?

Kingston 2GB Secure Digital Memory Card (SD/2GB, Retail Package)

$14.99

Canon PowerShot A570IS 7.1MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

$153.76

Items: $168.75

Shipping & Handling: $6.76

Super Saver Discount: -$6.76

Promotion Applied: -$14.99

Reward Applied: -$0.00

Total Before Tax: $153.76

Where is this deal????

Ok, I'm in love with the Sears BF ads...just need everyone's opinion on which digital camera in there would be the best point/shoot/zoom/store like at least 50-100 pics camera for the lowest budget...advice?

I"ll have to go look but, the camera doesn't determine how many pics it can hold, that's the memory card. The bigger the memory card, the more pics. A 2gb card will probably hold about a 1000 jpgs coming off of a 7 mega pixel camera.

Where is this deal????

Sorry - just got back in from scoping out Sears before Sunday.

This deal is at Amazon.com

Free 2 GB Memory Card with Top Digital Cameras

We'll send you a free memory card, or you can apply the value of a free card ($18.99 for SD, $21.99 for xD) to a qualifying higher-capacity memory card, when you purchase select digital cameras in our Camera & Photo Store. Just add the camera and the memory card to your Shopping Cart and use the promotional code 7ACBUY5F for Kingston SD cards and CLAPHWSL for Olympus xD cards at checkout. (Codes are also listed on individual product pages.) These offers apply only to purchases of products sold by Amazon.com between October 30 and December 3, 2007, and do not apply to products sold by third-party merchants and other sellers through the Amazon.com site.

Just make sure that you get one of the cards that qualifies:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_5744682_3/104-6401503-2553557?ie=UTF8&docId=1000155141&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=special-offers-1&pf_rd_r=0Q5BQA7ZW40JW08DP3MM&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=320309301&pf_rd_i=B000NK3H4S

and a qualifying camera:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_0_1/104-6401503-2553557?ie=UTF8&docId=1000155131&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1TR1HTCBJ5DZYQZFPGV9&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=320302801&pf_rd_i=1000155141

kimmie - You should be able to find a DSLR kit on BF in the somewhere in the $450-$650 range. Sears has the Nikon D40 kit advertised at $449.99. That may be an easier one to get than to try to get doorbusters at Best Buy, Circuit City or Walmart. Sears will also have the Canon Digital Rebel XT kit for $600. That's not a great deal, because I know I've seen it cheaper in recent days, since it's one kit older than the current Rebel XTi.

Watch this portion of the site for posted BF DSLR deals: http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/BlackFridaySales/Category/DigitalCameras

Thank you for your help. :)