>>> Official Black Friday DESKTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

This is the official thread for Black Friday related discussion of desktops, regardless of if the items are actually in ads or not.

This post will be updated with information about desktops that appear in Black Friday ads as they are released.

As this thread will likely get very long, if you are responding to a specific question or comment, please quote that post to keep the thread easy to follow.

If you are looking for a deal before Black Friday on a specific desktop, post in our Deal Finder Service board and others can help you out.

Threads posted about desktops in the Black Friday Discussion forum will likely be merged into this forum, so to help out the admins and mods, please keep all discussion in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, so i'm hoping the desktop from BB this year will have a 17" or a 19" monitor included. It's not a far stretch thinking that they did have a 15" w/ a printer in the package last year. that would be REAL nice!

Yup, even their cheap one for under $200 had a 15-incher. I think their doorbuster deal this year would have at least a 17" LCD monitor. There'll be plenty of computer/monitor/printer deals, and maybe even a cheaper deal for just the computer by itself. Keep the fingers crossed! :D

yeah, so i'm hoping the desktop from BB this year will have a 17" or a 19" monitor included. It's not a far stretch thinking that they did have a 15" w/ a printer in the package last year. that would be REAL nice!

If you want to get a desktop from BB you need to be in line around 6am on Thursday. The first 20 people in line at my BB last year were inline for a desktop and laptop. The first person got in line was Wednesday at 1130pm.

Yup, even their cheap one for under $200 had a 15-incher. I think their doorbuster deal this year would have at least a 17" LCD monitor. There'll be plenty of computer/monitor/printer deals, and maybe even a cheaper deal for just the computer by itself. Keep the fingers crossed! :D

Yeah, FYI: that's basically EXACTLY what I just said. But thanks for reiterating the fact... haha.

If you want to get a desktop from BB you need to be in line around 6am on Thursday. The first 20 people in line at my BB last year were inline for a desktop and laptop. The first person got in line was Wednesday at 1130pm.

Thanks for the advice, but it's not exactly accurate for the two Best Buys that I scoped out last year. The first person in line at the one nearest to me was there at around 1pm on Thursday and there weren't 20 people there until around 3-3:30pm. And the other Best buy had people there even later than that. I know they'll probably be a bit earlier this year, but if I get there around 2pm, I'm sure I'll be early enough, just like in years past. Every best buy is just a little bit different from the others. Thanks for the info though anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently debating if I want to buy a new desktop or keep my old one, which I've had for 3.5 yrs. It all boils down to if I want to camp out or not.

and what they are offering I would assume. How well is your old one taking care of you, and can you upgrade it for a reasonable price, or is it just cheaper to replace?

I am currently debating if I want to buy a new desktop or keep my old one, which I've had for 3.5 yrs. It all boils down to if I want to camp out or not.

If you want the doorbuster camp out, but I have seen new complete pc's starting around $350-379 and Im sure they will be on sale aswell.

I am getting a new desktop this year. I don't care if it is doorbuster or not, it will still be cheap. Im looking for a 22-24" moniter to go with it also.

Well, the one I have is running kind of slow but I have a lot of stuff on it, like all of my cds (over 100). I really dont want to camp out for an Emachine or another low class computer. Hopefully Walmart will have a dell :yup: on blitz. :D

I am not sure this post makes sense...maybe it is just me. You state that you dont want to camp out for a low class machine such as an E-machines, but then you state you would be willing to pick up a walmart dell that would be on blitz. I cant see how this would not fall into that some low class machine:confused:

Almost assuredly the dell that walmart (and sadly way to many dells at walmart and others for that matter, but not all) would qualify as a low class machine if they were to offer it on blitz.

Odds are this BF will be the year they try unload the single-core processor systems. So, we could see some decent Core Solo, Athlon 64, etc. machines.

I'd kill to see someone jump in with a dual-core at a fair price. If that happens, you will know this BF is a full blown war. Considering how vicious BB and Wally get about the electronics fight, I wouldn't rule it out.

Seeing the deals currently going on with dual core systems (m8200n at compusa for $669 for example), I think you will see very happy prices on any single core computers (I am thinking about $250), but also some nice deals on the dual cores. They are prepping the market for the quad cores you know.

• 2 weeks later...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071015/ap_on_hi_te/holiday_electronics_forecast;_ylt=AgPKWIAtzVDDOiQ5NGPdk1wjtBAF

Computers top holiday wish lists

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Move over, peace and happiness. Computers are what Americans really want nowadays.

The machines that feed us infinite and instant information, store our digital memories, give us hours of fun with games, videos or music — and help us do our taxes — outrank peace, happiness and clothes this year as the most wished-for gifts, according to an annual U.S. survey by the consumer electronics industry's largest trade organization.

Last year, the most popular answer to the survey's open-ended query about respondents' holiday wishes was clothing, followed by peace and happiness, money and then computers.

This year, after computers, peace and happiness came in second, followed by a big-screen TV, clothes and then money.

Such enthusiasm for computers, TVs, as well as other electronics will help drive electronics sales up 7 percent to $48.1 billion in the fourth quarter from $44.8 billion the year-ago period, according to a forecast by the Consumer Electronics Association.

By comparison, the overall retail industry is expected to see holiday sales grow 4 percent, according to the National Retail Federation.

"We're looking at a very solid season for consumer electronics, and it's certainly a bright spot for the economy," said Joe Bates, CEA's director of research.

For all of 2007, electronics sales are expected to reach $160 billion, up 8 percent from $148 billion last year, according to the CEA forecast.

The organization's annual consumer survey separately evaluated shopping intentions for the holidays. The random telephone survey of 1,003 U.S. adults was conducted in late September and had a margin of error of 3.1 percentage points.

"The fact that they want computers over clothing and peace and happiness is amazing," said Shawn DuBravac, the CEA's economist. "It's a testament to what the tech industry has done to empower the consumer."

People are doing more with their computers, such as posting videos or writing blogs, Bates said. The demand for laptops is particularly strong, "and you can buy a more powerful one and at a lower price than what you paid for four years ago," he said.

The survey also indicated consumers plan to spend bit more on gadget gifts this year: $358 per household versus $337 in 2006.

Gifts will account for about 46 percent of electronics sales in the fourth quarter, while the rest will come from purchases people make for themselves — a typical shopping pattern during the holiday period, Bates said.

As for specific gizmos people wanted to receive as gifts this holiday season, portable music players topped the list for the third year in a row. Laptops rose to second place from third and video game systems displaced digital cameras to come in third.

Gaming will be hotter this year, Bates said, since all the next-generation consoles have been out for at least a year and have a larger library of games.

A video game system was also the most popular item people planned to give as an electronics gift this year, according to the survey.

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't matter, with the types of mark up Dell has been having on their underpowered PC's, you will get much better mileage with some of the other manufacturers.

IMHO see HP m8200n at $659 from Compusa a week or 3 ago, and I dont see dell dropping any of their 531 series to anywhere near that price with anywhere near as much power as that. If you want underpowered and cheap, just get BB $199 pc.

We need a new desktop. Our desktop from dell just got fried. I have no idea how. Even the mouse call people were dumb founded as to why it happened. So all we have is a laptop and we are wanting a desktop so we can just play around on but also keep info on like my boyfriend's business stuff. I saw the $199 from BB. But I am taking that it is not a good one? I have seen emachines before but never had one and wasn't sure it was a good computer. We are looking for a decent one and a good deal on one. We really don't wanna spend too much. We already have a monitor so maybe we could get a better deal by buying just a computer without the monitor or what. I don't know too much about computers. So, what would be the best deal I should go for??

I got 2 of the $139.00 emachines 2 yrs ago for my kids and one of the $189.00 last year for myself. The only thing I have done was add some cheap memory and wireless cards. They are still running strong! For the average user they are fine. We use them to surf,a few games and homework and we love them.They run great on XP. I don't how they handle Vista. I had a free upgrade but never used it.I have no problem buying another if I had too. The quaility improved when Gateway bought them. JMO

I have not noticed any desktop deals that are even comparable to last year's deals. After all the hype about this being the year for great deals, it seems nobody is really bothering. Unless there are some amazing deals yet to be announced... I guess we won't truly know until the week of Thanksgiving, which is going to make it harder for me to plan than I was hoping.