>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

The Lenovo is $599. The Gateway is $599 in the circular I see on the Best Buy site, and $629 according to the list here. Either way, it sounds like the Gateway is the best bet. I wasn't sure about the Intel vs. AMD processor - good to hear that the AMD is better. And I'm thrilled about 250g of HD space!

Thanks for your help!

Yeah, Intel has a lot of marketing money, and AMD not very much, so like Nike vs New Balance, many people assume Nike is better, but also being into healthcare I can tell you that Nike just advertises more, many New Balance shoes costing a lot less are just as good if not better for your foot. Same goes w/ AMD and Intel.

They both make some good and some not so hot products, Intel just advertises all of theirs more.

Lenovo? Umm, did I miss something? All I saw for the OD laptops in the GD BF computers listing was the 'Toshiba 15"4 2GB 160GB Widescreen Notebook'. That one's in there.

Not sure what listing it's in, but if you click on the office depot deals link, then click "sneak peek our in-store sale," it's right there.

Will the HP laptops at BB be available online, and if so, when? The ad says Friday and Saturday only, so I'm assuming IF they're going to be online, it won't be until after midnight tomorrow (Thursday), correct?

Hey, if I can avoid sitting outside all night, I'm gonna be thrilled!!!

My only regret, my fellow citizens, is that I have only one internet life to give for my GD community. :D Due to popular demand, and consistent nagging (just kidding, nirvana4all! :tongue1: You offer up some good beta-testing service), the Lenovo specs are updated in the charts.

VeriFace recognition? :eek: Did I miss a jump in technology here? I assume that uses the integrated webcam. Wow. :eyepoppin I'm still playing with my friend's laptop's fingerprint lock. These things are geting more and more like Star Trek.

Is there any reason to buy the Sony over the HP at Best Buy besides the logo and $50 price difference?

I think the Core Duo on the Sony has a better battery life, but that is not a very important factor to me. The HP has 40 GB more hard drive space and can hold 4 GB of ram, while the Sony can only hold 2 GB. It seems like everybody is after the Sony. Is it just because of the name and the fact that it has a doorbuster sticker slapped on it?

My only regret, my fellow citizens, is that I have only one internet life to give for my GD community. :D Due to popular demand, and consistent nagging (just kidding, nirvana4all! :tongue1: You offer up some good beta-testing service), the Lenovo specs are updated in the charts.

VeriFace recognition? :eek: Did I miss a jump in technology here? I assume that uses the integrated webcam. Wow. :eyepoppin I'm still playing with my friend's laptop's fingerprint lock. These things are geting more and more like Star Trek.

Glad to be the whipping boy, I mean be of service. THis comment just gave me the best laugh after I sat here fuming about staying up until now for the stupid bestbuy "sale" that didn't happen. Got to watch us all "crash" the GD server though.

You are doing great stationchief.

hey guys! I've been lurking for awhile and all the comments have been extremely helpful. Although I'm still confused as to which laptop is the best deal.

I know its subjective and it depends on the user but I would be frequently using the laptop to play games, download music, and do work....should I go with the HP for $550 at BB? Or the Sony Viao?

I don't know much about computers so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated especially from you, Nirvana4all :) you seem to know what you're talking about. Thanks!

COMPUSA just updated with a good $399 laptop!

Think he's talkin' about this BF-worthy one:

Toshiba Satellite A215-S7411 Notebook

http://image.compusa.com/prodimages/56/da5c7590-eaaa-46e5-a8bc-d8a615d49bad.gif

AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-53 1.7GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, 15.4-inch WXGA TFT Display, 8X DVD+/-RW Drive, Windows Vista Home Premium. $399.99

Not bad at all. It's almost exact to CC's Toshiba A215-S7413 except it's got the larger hard drive (160 GB compared to CC's 120 GB) and same price but without the rebates. Only problem is I think that must've been CompUSA's pre-BF online special as it's completely sold out. :(

Think he's talkin' about this BF-worthy one:

Toshiba Satellite A215-S7411 Notebook

http://image.compusa.com/prodimages/56/da5c7590-eaaa-46e5-a8bc-d8a615d49bad.gif

Not bad at all. It's almost exact to CC's Toshiba A215-S7413 except it's got the larger hard drive (160 GB compared to CC's 120 GB) and same price but without the rebates. Only problem is I think that must've been CompUSA's pre-BF online special as it's completely sold out. :(

Got a question, looking for a laptop for my daughter who likes to play Sims games, I am thinking Vista may bogg down the computer but also I hear video cards is what I should be looking at. Is any of the lower end laptops a good buy for her? I was just looking at the one at Compusa and of course it sold out but not sure want to get into Vista....Thank you

I just read a correction. The CompUSA $449 doorbuster is only 1gb of RAM. Levels that price level's playing field a bit...

Yup. This just hot off the presses, or off the .PDF correction list, at Compusa.com:

HP DV9407NR Pavilion Notebook (#347865)

Please note that the HP DV9407NR Pavilion Notebook (#347865), featured in our

November 22nd National and Puerto Rico insert is incorrectly advertised as

having 2GB of memory. This notebook actually has 1GB of memory.

For your inconvenience we are offering you a $55 CompUSA Gift Card that can

be used to purchase the 2GB memory upgrade kit (# 344987) or can be applied

towards the purchase of another item. We will also perform an in-store

installation of the memory modules at no charge within the next 7 days when the

notebook memory is purchased Friday or Saturday (November 23-24).

That was awful nice of 'em. :D They said it was gonna be 2 GB so they give you the extra 1 GB free if you want it.

1gig w/ vista is kinda slim

any idea on what type of ram it takes so we can check the prices out w/ 2 gig. Also anyone know the max expansion on it?

According to the tech specs, it's 1 Gig of PC2-5300, which is the standard these days for laptops. Most likely gonna be as two 512 MB chips so both slots are probably used up. Vista is a resource hog but 1 Gig should handle basic usage. You could always buy another 1 Gig chip and pop one of the 512 MBs out, giving you 1.5 GB of memory, or go for the long haul and buy a 2 GB chip and max out one of the slots.

If I decide to get this HP DV9407NR Pavilion Notebook, would I have to be at CompUsa early?

(I'm hoping I dont have to)...

I want to go to the store to pick up the notebook, printer, and gift card. Its really nice of them to state that they would install the memory.

If I decide to get this HP DV9407NR Pavilion Notebook, would I have to be at CompUsa early?

(I'm hoping I dont have to)...

I want to go to the store to pick up the notebook, printer, and gift card. Its really nice of them to state that they would install the memory.

All depends on your neck of the woods, but if I were you I'd plan on gettin in line VERY early, especially after that announcement. That's just gonna sweeten their deal and cause more peole to want it.

HP - Pavilion TK-53 Laptop

Model: dv6607nr | SKU: 8595308

This is the model at BB on line right now for 449? Is this a good model at a good purchase price. I was going to get the Staples door buster deal on Friday AM for $349, but now I am considering just buy the HP on line. Can anyone tell me which is the better model to purchase?