>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

One thing I don't like about Toshiba is that the function keys (fn + F6/F7 for contrast, for example) and the volume dial are not hardwired. If this notebook is really a re-numbered S7404, too bad that there are no driver for XP so all those won't work if I "upgrade" the notebook to XP.

I don't know why they do it that way. Acer, Compaq/HP has the function keys hardwired.

Here is the specs for the one on BB.com, the product code is off by one (listed below is Toshiba A135-S7404). Most likely it is the same one being offered on BF, BB has a habit of changing product codes by a couple numbers to stop price matching. Not sure if that is the case here.

Product Features

Intel® Celeron® M processor 530 with 533MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 1.73GHz processor speed

512MB DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM

15.4" TFT-LCD widescreen display with TruBrite technology and 1280 x 800 native resolution; support for 720p

80GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-64MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory; S-video output

CD/DVD media controls for easy one-touch access to movies and music; Internet button conveniently launches default Web browser

5-in-1 bridge media adapter supports Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital and xD-Picture Card

4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer

Built-in Atheros high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100Base-TX Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; 56 Kbps modem

Weighs only 6 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin for lightweight portability; lithium-ion battery

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Works 8.5, Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5, Adobe Acrobat Reader and more

That's pretty much it, but the A135-7403 special doorbster is the bundle that includes the Canon PIXMA MP210 (all-in-one photo printer, copier and scanner with ChromaLife100 and dual color gamut technologies). That slight change offers folks something extra, plus prevents price matching hounds and keeps folks from buying the night before. Really a good deal for a basic lite-use laptop. Needs an upgrade in the memory depot, then it'll be a great deal.

Good point about the printer, a $75 value on BB.com right now. And your right about the memory needing to be upgraded.

You can upgrade the memory on virtually every laptop, the problem is going to be price. That will be based on number of slots and how many are used. If you can get me the exact model number, I can answer this rather easily.

What if the specs say 1GB max? I am looking at the Compaq c727us. Really hard to find a review on it. I am worried it is 'only' 1GB with Vista because I hear how Vista hogs RAM. My needs for a laptop really only include internet, and word processing. Thanks for any help. You can find the specs at American TV. Sorry, I cant post a site.

here are the specs:

Compaq Presario C712US Specs:

Display: 15.4″ WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)

Processor: Intel Core Duo T2310, (1.46 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)

Memory: 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Hard Drive: 80GB 5400RPM

Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Wireless: 802.11b/g WLAN

Optical Drive: SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

Ports: 3x USB 2.0, VGA, mic-in, headphone-out, S-Video, LAN, modem

Weight: 6.3 pounds

Dimensions: 14.1 (L) x 10.11 (W) x 1.29 (min H)/1.58″ (max H)

This model can handle 2 DIMMs, and can take up to 2GB of ram. This means that it will 95% of the time come w/ 2x512 sticks that you can give to a friend while you buy and install 2 1GB sticks of ram in it. The C727 can also take 2GB, but same situation.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01150089&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3548229&rule=42259&lang=en

midway down the page, hp/compaq tells you it handles 2 GB (2048 MB) max memory

This model can handle 2 DIMMs, and can take up to 2GB of ram. This means that it will 95% of the time come w/ 2x512 sticks that you can give to a friend while you buy and install 2 1GB sticks of ram in it. The C727 can also take 2GB, but same situation.

midway down the page, hp/compaq tells you it handles 2 GB (2048 MB) max memory

This is strange though, I too followed the link and such and when you click on product info, it shows the F727. I am speaking with a chat advisor so I will let you know. Thanks

I've been reading fanatically every bit of information on the laptop deals the last few days. Surprisingly, I'm all tucker out and my mind is abuzz with data overload:confused:

I've noticed that the Sony Viao T2310 memory takes a PC2-4200 (DDR2). BUT the memory sale at BB is for a PC-5300. 2 questions:

1. Will the performance i.e. downgrading the clock speed (??) be a factor?

2. A computer that is still using PC2-4200 a factor in what situation (like will it be a factor in certain applications)??

thanks for the input. Hopefully I'm asking my question correctly:)

I read here that the $229 Best Buy laptop will need a memory upgrade. There are several upgrades available on BF, but I don't know which one(s) would work in this computer. Has anyone figured that out and can you point me to the right deal?

DD, who starts law school next year, is planning on camping out to try to get one of these. Her old laptop is three years old and she's afraid it won't last much longer.

Thanks,

Sheila

Guest ZeroGravity107
Since Staples won't be carrying their Compaq in my area, I'm looking at the Gateway AMD Turion 64 X2 14" Laptop w/ 2GB, 250GB for 599. Will I have to get in line to get my hands on this? Also, what is the graphic specs on this?

Ok. I have narrowed my choices down to two laptops at Best Buy.

1) Sony Vaio $399 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=WJBQQCWX4EN1JKC4D3JFAGY?skuId=8587772&productCategoryId=abcat0502003&type=product&tab=2&id=1190677437770#productdetail

2) HP Pavilion $449 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8595308&productCategoryId=abcat0502003&type=product&tab=2&id=1190678470786#productdetail

I plan to upgrade the memory by 2 GB, so in the end the Sony would have 2 GB ram and the HP would have 3 GB ram. I saw both of them up close and did not like the build quality of the Sony. It felt like plastic.

Is the Sony processor (Intel Core Duo) that much better than the HP (AMD Athlon 64 X2)?

(Less than 24 hours till sit-in-line time)

Careful on the spec. on Toshiba.

I may be wrong but I bought the Satelite M45-S2692 last year at WM & all specs say there are 2 slots for memory but there is only one slot in the back of mine & it's more expensive now to buy 1 2Gig then my being able to add an additional 1 Gig.

Has anyone recieved the CC Acer for $274, what does it take?

I was pretty much set on the Gateway from Best Buy, but then I saw the Office Depot Lenovo which is really similar. Anybody have thoughts on which is better? (Sorry I can't post links). Thanks for the help!

The Gateway (BB)

Product Features

* AMD Turion™ 64 X2 mobile technology TL-56* for AMD dual-core technology in a thin-and-light design; HyperTransport™ and AMD PowerNow!™ technologies and improved security with Enhanced Virus Protection**

* 2GB DDR2 memory for multitasking power

* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; supports DVD-RAM; also supports Labelflash direct-disc labels using compatible Labelflash media

* AMD dual-core technology enables you to work or play with multiple programs without impacting performance; AMD64 technology provides simultaneous support for 32-bit and 64-bit computing

* 14.1" WXGA TFT-LCD widescreen display with Ultrabright technology and 1280 x 800 resolution

* 250GB SATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

* ATI RADEON X1270 graphics with up to 256MB HyperMemory (total of local and shared memory used by GPU); high-definition audio (2-speaker support); HDMI connection

* Smooth-cut multimedia control panel provides easy access to and control of multimedia and other applications

* Built-in 1.3-megapixel Web cam lets you chat with friends and family

* 5-in-1 media reader supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card

* 3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer

* Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; V.92 high-speed modem

* Weighs 5.6 lbs. and measures just 1.3" thin for easy portability; lithium-ion battery and AC adapter

* Next-generation industrial core design

* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system preinstalled, software package preinstalled with Microsoft Works 8.5, Microsoft Essentials, CyberLink Power2Go and more

Lenovo (OD)

The Lenovo L3000 Y410 includes:

* 14.1"-diagonal WXGA (1280 x 800) glossy TFT LCD screen

* Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5450 operating at 1.66GHz

* 2MB L2 cache

* Up to 667MHz frontside bus

* 2.0GB of PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory, upgradable to 4.0GB

* 160GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive

* DVD±RW drive with Double Layer support (reads/writes DVD±R/RW, DVD+R Double Layer, CD-R/RW)

* Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g) wireless LAN

* 10/100Base-T Ethernet network interface

* 56K V.92 modem

* 3 USB 2.0 ports

* 1 FireWire (IEEE 1394) port

* 1 S-video out port

* Integrated 1.3-megapixel camera

* 1 ExpressCard expansion slot

* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with up to 256MB shared memory

* Azalia AC '97 audio with 2 stereo speakers and subwoofer, with Dolby Home Theater

* Microphone input jack, headphone output jack

* 6-cell lithium-ion battery, for up to 4 hours of battery life

* Dimensions: 1 7/16"H x 13 3/10"W x 9 9/10"D

* Weight: 5.2 lbs

I was going to get the sony at BB for 400, but now that i see the Toshiba for 229 i am just going to go with that because i am not going to be doing anything heavy just internet and writing papers, and for the price difference i can now get a GPS or camera now, what do you guys think about that? and what is better celeron m or celeron d?

what are the freebies??

I didnt notice any - thanks for your help - I will prob be getting this comp for the wife for college.

Happy BF shoppin

At CC, on top of scanned page 29 of 36 pages, it states " FREE with any laptop .all in one printer, Norton internet securtiy, Wireless G Router $209.97 value (printer lexmark x2580, Software: Norton internet security, Router is D-link WBR1310)

I was pretty much set on the Gateway from Best Buy, but then I saw the Office Depot Lenovo which is really similar. Anybody have thoughts on which is better? (Sorry I can't post links). Thanks for the help!

The Gateway (BB)

Lenovo (OD)

I dont have the prices in front of me, but with them being of equal price, you have a nicer processor and the biggest hard drive you can get in the gateway, as well as being able to install Vista 64 bit (really only a geek factor) on the gateway as well. I would get it if the price was the same, seems it is worth about ...umm $70-$90 more IMHO.

I dont have the prices in front of me, but with them being of equal price, you have a nicer processor and the biggest hard drive you can get in the gateway, as well as being able to install Vista 64 bit (really only a geek factor) on the gateway as well. I would get it if the price was the same, seems it is worth about ...umm $70-$90 more IMHO.

The Lenovo is $599. The Gateway is $599 in the circular I see on the Best Buy site, and $629 according to the list here. Either way, it sounds like the Gateway is the best bet. I wasn't sure about the Intel vs. AMD processor - good to hear that the AMD is better. And I'm thrilled about 250g of HD space!

Thanks for your help!