>>> Official Black Friday LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

This is the official thread for Black Friday related discussion of laptops, regardless of if the items are actually in ads or not.

This post will be updated with information about laptops that appear in Black Friday ads as they are released.

As this thread will likely get very long, if you are responding to a specific question or comment, please quote that post to keep the thread easy to follow.

If you are looking for a deal before Black Friday on a specific laptop, post in our Deal Finder Service board and others can help you out.

Threads posted about laptops in the Black Friday Discussion forum will likely be merged into this forum, so to help out the admins and mods, please keep all discussion in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm visiting my parents for thanksgiving and will be doing some christmas shopping afterwards. Appleton, WI is much smaller than Chicago but they have some of the same stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City, and Walmart. Is anyone from that area? If I wanted to get a laptop for my parents for christmas, should I be expecting the same type of long lines as in Chicago where my chances of a laptop are slim and none? What should my expectations be?

Thanks in advance,

Hi you guys! I'm really new to this Black Friday stuff, and I've been saving my money since the beginning of this summer, so far I have about $400 in savings. I'm going to college next year so I really need a laptop! I'm asking, how much did laptops average on Black Friday last year??

Hi you guys! I'm really new to this Black Friday stuff, and I've been saving my money since the beginning of this summer, so far I have about $400 in savings. I'm going to college next year so I really need a laptop! I'm asking, how much did laptops average on Black Friday last year??

Welcome to the community! Last year laptops went from $350.00 to around $700.00. Keep in mind that the laptops with the lower price has the least options meaning less memory/RAM. So you may want to put more RAM into your budget as well as the extended warranty protection plan. Good luck!

I'm visiting my parents for thanksgiving and will be doing some christmas shopping afterwards. Appleton, WI is much smaller than Chicago but they have some of the same stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City, and Walmart. Is anyone from that area? If I wanted to get a laptop for my parents for christmas, should I be expecting the same type of long lines as in Chicago where my chances of a laptop are slim and none? What should my expectations be?

Thanks in advance,

Welcome to the community! While I am not in your area if you cant find anyone here that lives in the area I would call the local store you want to shop at and ask them what the lines have been like in years past. I would say for myself if you really want the laptop I would count on camping out.

Welcome to the community! Last year laptops went from $350.00 to around $700.00. Keep in mind that the laptops with the lower price has the least options meaning less memory/RAM. So you may want to put more RAM into your budget as well as the extended warranty protection plan. Good luck!

Right! You really need to keep the specks in mind when comparing the different laptops offered on BF (or anytime for that matter). Don't compare apples to oranges and don't buy a Celeron if you really need a Core2Duo...

you may want to look around at the ads now - there have been some decent laptop deals that can be found throughout the year.

also check with your future college to see if they have discount programs - although i've found the discounts haven't been as fantabulous as the ones you can find here.

Was An Acer Laptop 512k memory 80 Gig Hard Drive Yesterday At The Georgetown Texas Wal Mart For $398.00 Not on Sale Regular Price. Found A Link --Tried To Post. Would Not Take As I have not been here long enough for this site to allow me to post a link it said to avoid spam. The Link said that each WalMart Got 20 Acer Laptops at $398 each. This Was Orginally Posted 9 July 07. Some WalMarts Still Have Them. Go To Google and Plug In Acer 398 Walmart

Mel Jones, Central Texas

Thanks you guys! I've been looking at budget laptops, I just wanna do the basic stuff- download music, surf the internet, view pictures stuff, and a big storage(somewhere between 80gigs & up) .. I'm willing to spend over $500 but nothing over $1000, so I was looking forward to seeing what Black Friday has to offer

I have seen dual core, 1024K memory and 120 gig hard drive for 500 - 550, quite a bit lately. Around christmas, it MAY be a little cheaper, but this gives you a target. This is basically the specs my daughter took to college this year, and it does all she wants and more....

Laptops are expected to range from about $200-300 (Celeron/Sempron processor, 512MB memory, 60-80GB hard drive) to about your $1000 limit (for the dual-core processors, 1-2 GB memory, and 80+ hard drive). Basically, take the current specials stores are having and compare prices and specs to what you're looking for. BF will have similar specs on laptops for a bit cheaper than the current price tags.

And since you're new, be prepared for what it may take to get the laptop you want. The cheaper < $300 laptops and the more popular ones usually only go to the first few dozen people in a line of possible hundreds, or thousands in larger neighborhoods, at Best Buy's BF sale. Red up on what to expect on BF and plan well ahead.

And welcome to the experience of your life! The first BF you take part in is always the most memorable. :D

Was An Acer Laptop 512k memory 80 Gig Hard Drive Yesterday At The Georgetown Texas Wal Mart For $398.00 Not on Sale Regular Price. Found A Link --Tried To Post. Would Not Take As I have not been here long enough for this site to allow me to post a link it said to avoid spam. The Link said that each WalMart Got 20 Acer Laptops at $398 each. This Was Orginally Posted 9 July 07. Some WalMarts Still Have Them. Go To Google and Plug In Acer 398 Walmart

Mel Jones, Central Texas

Here, lemme help: Acer Aspire 3680 . Currently online it says it's $428, but I've seen it at our local store for the $398 price tag. There's also the Everex NC1502 online for $398.

And welcome to the community, Mel Jones of Central Texas. :D

Last month the wife picked up a Toshiba with a Centrino Dual Core (not sure which model), 2048MB RAM, 200GB hard drive, wireless, 1.3MP web camera built into the lid, DVD/CD burner and Windows Vista Home Premium for about $750 at Best Buy.

It originally went for over $900 but was being replaced by a newer model.

Thanks in advance,

Hey! I'm from Appleton also...well, I live and go to school in Milwaukee, but my parents live there.

The lines are probably the same. Last year was my first year "camping out" and waiting in line for Black Friday. I went to the Best Buy at the Fox River Mall, thinking I went early enough at 1:00AM, but by the time I got there, there was a pretty good size crowd already of at least 200 people.

Thanks in advance,

I have been to Appleton, WI for the Black Friday sales and you will need to get there early as in line Thanksgiving. No it's not as big as Chicago by no means. Appleton reminds me of the size of my hometown.

The cheap one for $298.00 last year at Best Buy has worked out great for my 8 year old. I think the cheapest are great deals for the younger kids wanting laptops. I would like one for myself this year. Not big into specs but I would like it to have a dvd/cd burner so I can use the dvd part for my digital photos while on vacation.

what is best for everyday internet and picture use?

Just about anything on the market today. Just about all of 'em brand new come with half a gig of memory, WiFi, and a big enough hard drive to store a ton of photos. All depends on what you plan on doing with it AFTER that. You need to think if that's all you plan on doing with it for as long as you have it, as it's very difficult to upgrade anything besides the memory and maybe the drives. The cheaper ones won't make for very good video editing/creating/burning for your home movie DVDs (believe me, I've tried) and they're fair for gaming but not for the gaming enthusiast.

One more question like this and I might be forced to make a BF laptop FAQs. :razz:

The cheap one for $298.00 last year at Best Buy has worked out great for my 8 year old. I think the cheapest are great deals for the younger kids wanting laptops. I would like one for myself this year. Not big into specs but I would like it to have a dvd/cd burner so I can use the dvd part for my digital photos while on vacation.

Alot of 'em will come with a CD burner/DVD reader nowdays. But I'd recommend a flash drive to store all your vacation photos instead. You get more storage than a CD for a fairly decent price. And don't forget the USB media card reader to transfer 'em over.

Thank you for your replies and for creating this thread!!!!

If there are 200 people in line at 1am, I think my chances of getting are slim and none. I can deal with waiting in line from midnight onward but I am visiting my parents and don't want to wait in line right after we eat some bird. I should visit with them for awhile...

Maybe, I am better off looking online for the laptop and getting one refurbished from tiger direct? I am looking to spend less than 400.

Maybe, I am better off looking online for the laptop and getting one refurbished from tiger direct? I am looking to spend less than 400.

Actually, there have been quite a few Acers offered by the big box stores for like $398 after $150 in rebates. That's been going on for months... Just keep your eyes peeled and look for the Sunday circulars.

Thank you for your replies and for creating this thread!!!!

If there are 200 people in line at 1am, I think my chances of getting are slim and none. I can deal with waiting in line from midnight onward but I am visiting my parents and don't want to wait in line right after we eat some bird. I should visit with them for awhile...

Hmm ... tummy full of turkey or a laptop? Decisions, decisions. :D

Right now you're lookin' at about $350-400 just for the cheapest ones out there. For example, Wal-Mart has a nice Acer for $398 everyday. As for Tiger Direct and Newegg, you're probably still lookin' at just barely crossing the $400 mark.

If you really need to keep it under that mark, then you could always spend time with the folks, have your turkey as early as possible, then soon as dinner is officially over run by a few stores and check out the lines. If the line at one is too long, go check out another. I'd say most lines at places like Best Buy would be reaching the 'no cheap laptop' mark around late afternoon, however it all depends on the neighborhood and which one you go to.

Keep an eye out for weekly specials at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, CompUSA and such. It's either that, or prepare fror a long wait on BF.

Fry's Electronics usually puts out a good laptop deal on Friday.

Yes they do. Think they also had the under $100 desktop as well. It's unfortunate they're not in every town. Here in AZ we got two. Lucky us, huh? ;)

Best Buy, CompUSA, and Circuit City are a few of the popular others that have some good cheap laptop deals. Wal-Mart used to but they changed their tactics to a pre-blitz day laptop sale last year.

Yes they do. Think they also had the under $100 desktop as well. It's unfortunate they're not in every town. Here in AZ we got two. Lucky us, huh? ;)

we have a gazillion and a half in CA. hehe. i worked at fry's during part of my senior year in high school and then that summer.

but the discount at circuit city is probably the best... although with fry's they have so much random stuff from random suppliers it could be cheaper.

Last week Best Buy had a Toshiba laptop for $349. It had 80gb, 512mb ram, 15.4" screen, dvd burner and a 1.6 Celeron processor. Not great specs but if you are looking for a laptop just to web surf or for a kid, the price is right. Toshiba makes good laptops and for less than $50 you can always go back and add more ram.

I picked one up for my niece who wanted one for school. The best part is no lines. Just walked in around noon on Sunday and was out fifteen minutes later with a new laptop for $368 after tax.

Last week Best Buy had a Toshiba laptop for $349. It had 80gb, 512mb ram, 15.4" screen, dvd burner and a 1.6 Celeron processor. Not great specs but if you are looking for a laptop just to web surf or for a kid, the price is right. Toshiba makes good laptops and for less than $50 you can always go back and add more ram.

I picked one up for my niece who wanted one for school. The best part is no lines. Just walked in around noon on Sunday and was out fifteen minutes later with a new laptop for $368 after tax.

\

That's the thing that makes me even more excited about the cheap laptop deals for BF. There's lots of great deals goin' on now. So, if they're that good now, imagine what they're gonna have on BF!

\

That's the thing that makes me even more excited about the cheap laptop deals for BF. There's lots of great deals goin' on now. So, if they're that good now, imagine what they're gonna have on BF!

I'm wondering if there really will be any "great" laptops deals on BF considering all the low prices now and considering how last year went. WM put theirs out like the week before and had nothing for BF. I'm putting my hopes online for laptaps on BF, although BB or CC will probably have something. I really want to get one for the kids' big present this year.