When to open presents?

jarerice

I have to open mine on Christmas morning from my mom, my sisters would be happy to open then on Christmas Day but it just doesn't seem right.

We do gifts from aunts, uncles, and cousins on Christmas Eve, and then we open the ones from Mom and sisters depending on where we are for Christmas Day.

On Christmas eve day we go visiting a couple friends and family that we will not see the next day. Any gifts from them are opened while there so they can the see the kids faces and get a thank you in person from the kids. Before our son came along, our daughter got to open one gift from us on Christmas eve. Now the kids will get to open the gift from each other. It will be a toy. My mom just requested that we bring the kids to her place on Christmas eve morning so she can let them open their toy gift from her. On Christmas Morning they open the gifts from santa, their stockings and then the gifts from us. Later in the day other family members come over for either breakfest or dinner and exchange gifts. The day after Christmas we celebrate with my father in law and his family so more presnts opened that day too.

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day both....on Eve my stepson goes to his mom's house and opens gift from her family while by husband and I go to my parents and open gifts from them...then on X-mas day we open ours together in a relaxed mood then pig out on a breakfast casserole that has been made up the night before which is cooking when we start opening.

We have family, extended family and a few close friends that all come over on Christmas Eve, we can open gifts from each other and family gifts that have been sent from far away...taking pictures of every last thing so they can be emailed to family that is not here with us. Then Daughters and their Families head home and arrive the next morning again about 9:00, yea I get to finally sleep in on Christmas morning!!!! When they all get there the first thing we do is find our Stockings... grown DD's would be greatly upset if they did not have a full stocking...LOL... then on to the gifts most of whom are marked from Santa...grandchildren are 6 and 4 years old. We mostly try to open them one at a time so everyone can enjoy watching what everyone got their expressions...we finally finish up around 1:00...think we have a few gifts under our tree? Just in time for them to head off to the other sides of family, etc and for me and Sig. Other to head off to visit his side of the family for a few hours...they just don't get into the Christmas thing like we do...and like he had a choice when he came into my life. :)

• 2 weeks later...

we open both days.

Christmas eve:

The boys exchange to each other and to us. Mike and I exchange, and we give the boys each a gift, and one together gift.

Christmas AM:

We exchange with my mom and dad, brother and SIL.

Christmas PM:

The huge grab bag where ALL the aunts and uncle and all the cousin meet at my Parent's house.

ours always get to open one present each (christmas pj's) and then they get to open one together which is always a christmas movie we watch that night..then they open the rest on Christmas morning before breakfast

We have ALWAYS bought our boys new Pj's (christmas eve) for pic on Christmas AM..lol

We started the movieand or Game thing the last two years also...LOL

I let them open one gift on Christmas Eve, a tradition that I carried on from my childhood. On Christmas morning, if my kids are with me, I let them go through their stockings if they wake up before I do. But since I now have 2 teenagers I normally get up before they do.

We went to my step-mom's one year for Christmas and their house rule was no gifts until after the LUNCH dishes were done. My DD was 4 at the time and she was dying!!!

We do have the tradition of only one gift being opened at a time. Another one I brought in from my childhood. Since my kids gets lots of small gifts, our gift opening normally lasts all day. We take breaks for food and visits to other folks houses.

The weekend prior to Christmas up to Christmas eve we are attending family parties and opening all kind of gifts.

Christmas morning my ds 8 can admire his Santa presents which are left unwrapped and also look in his stocking. We all get a wake, drink tea or coffe, brush teeth and then sit and open gifts. My ds gets excited to open them all but for the most part we take it slow and trade turns opening gifts. Most of the time my mom and her bf makes it to our house before we are done and they watch us. Around 9am my brother and his gf and her kids come over and mom cooks a huge breakfast and then we open gifts from each other.

I am just tickled someone else does the Christmas Pj thing.... its a huge deal at our house... to see who has the coolest pjs..... for my ds 12 he gets cool tshirts... the kind that say he will trade his sister for a new video game... and stuff like that.... it makes us all feel special.

Our kids get to open one present on Christmas Eve night before they go to bed and then the rest on Christmas morning. Then we have a small breakfast and then go to my Mother in Law's to eat a big meal then they get to open the stuff from her. She always goes overboard, so the kids love it! Then they usually visit my dad for his gift either Christmas Eve morning or later in the day on Christmas. Not sure how he'll do it this year though because he just moved about half a mile down the road from me!

• 2 weeks later...
When my DD was young she opened gifts from Mom "me" on Christmas Eve. Then Christmas morning was all Santa. We would then go to my parents for the day. Now that she is married they come to my house after my DG opens Santa's gifts at home. We exchange gifts, eat breakfast then it's back home for them and me to get ready to spend the day with the rest of the family at my folks.

Our kids(5,12) open 1 present Christmas Eve afternoon before we go out. The others get opened Christmas morning....after 7am(they are sleepers so it's not too evil) But they do have to sit and wait til after I make my coffee and drink some of it. ;)

Our stockings are last too...after the livingroom gets cleaned up, so the little things don't get lost.

My husband grew up opening gifts on Christmas Eve.

I grew up opening gifts on Christmas morning.

We celebrate with his family Christmas eve, and open presents that we exchange with them.

We celebrate with my family on Christmas Day (like around 1pm) and exchange gifts with them.

My husband and I (and now our kids) open our own family presents under the tree when we wake up in the morning. We wake up, brush our teeth, and freshen up, get the coffee going, and get ready to get started.

Traditions...traditions...huh? It's hard to change!

X-mas eve morning we let the kids open 1 small gift from us so they'll play while we cook and stuff,..then my dad and sister comes over in the evening to exchange gifts and the kids can open them up,..then before bed 1 more gift of jammies to sleep...then x-mas day the MIL comes over for the opening of gifts,..i have a small living room so it can get ugly with paper flying ..:smirk: