Homemade Holiday Gifts merged

DramaQueenLucy

I did altered paint cans last year! i did the small ones that can be used as a pencil cup or something and i did a big 1 for my cousins family with movies and candy in it! they didnt take too long to do and they are pretty cheap! the little cans are i think 1.98 and the big 1s are like 3.98

i go to alot of freebie sites and get the samples for tea and whatever free samples I can find and then i buy small baskets and fill them with samples and use as extra spare gifts, last year I remeber recieving alot of tea and coffee samples so I bought some cute mugs and got a basket and gave to a good friend who I know loves different teas and coffee.

We love to make crafts to give out for the holidays-- Last year we made candle's --

We bought a bunch of the glass sundae type cups or short wine glasses--at garage sales and thrift shops for real cheap and we used old candles and some wax we already had. We put 2 cinnamon sticks in the glasses and then filled them 3/4 of the way up with a creamy

chocolate colored wax with the wick in the middle (of course) and then we put crushed cinnamon in with some white wax poured that on top and and when the wax started to set up we used a little stick to kind of pull up on the wax a little to make it look frothy- We made sets of six for everyone- Everyone seemed to really like them.:)

We love to make crafts to give out for the holidays-- Last year we made candle's --

We bought a bunch of the glass sundae type cups or short wine glasses--at garage sales and thrift shops for real cheap and we used old candles and some wax we already had. We put 2 cinnamon sticks in the glasses and then filled them 3/4 of the way up with a creamy

chocolate colored wax with the wick in the middle (of course) and then we put crushed cinnamon in with some white wax poured that on top and and when the wax started to set up we used a little stick to kind of pull up on the wax a little to make it look frothy- We made sets of six for everyone- Everyone seemed to really like them.:)

I've made candles before and you have to be very careful about putting them in thin glass like in a wineglass because it could shatter from the heat of the flame. Heavier glass works best, it won't shatter as easily as the other can.

I've made candles before and you have to be very careful about putting them in thin glass like in a wineglass because it could shatter from the heat of the flame. Heavier glass works best, it won't shatter as easily as the other can.

Yes we bought the thick wine glasses-- Sorry guess I should have mentioned that-

Also you should be carefull while melting the wax as well. :)

Are you looking for family gifts? Or friends? You could make up cookbooks. Start with cheap 3 ring binders, and print up fave recipes. Or if you handwriting is really good, then you can go that route. For family, you can add family favorites- ask everyone for one or two recipes that they love, and compile them.

Baskets are always good too. Cooking baskets- Dollar store spatulas, cookie cutters, cake mix, cupcake pans, sprinkles, etc. Or coffee baskets. Hot chocolate ones. Can you see a theme in my madness? lol

I was at Michaels over the weekend and I dont know if there is a name for these but they are wooden and they can be a santa, snowman, tree or whatever anyway what they did drilled holes around the entire thing and then you stick Chirstmas lights in it after you paint it I have seen these at craft shows and they are kind of expensive so when I saw that for 9.99 I went and got one and then my grandma and aunt gave me 2 50% off coupons so I got 2 of them for what I paid for the one. I think that $5 and the time spent on it is enough! besides its the thought that counts right!..lol. :)

My oldest son & I made two of the Christmas Trees, several years ago. We painted them, Glued on ornaments & snowflakes, and hot glued fake presents to the base, and added the mini christmas lights. We gave my mom one, and I kept the other. They are really cute & easy to make!

• 3 weeks later...

For my DS this year I am making a cookbook. I asked each women in the family to give me a recipe that was a family tradition or favorite. I made copies and scrapbooked them on pages with that person's photo, then placed them in a 3 ring binder. I mixed in some new recipes I printed from Pillsbury, Kraftfoods, Copykats too.

You could do just the printed recipes. Check out this site for printing recipes on scrapbook pages. smilebox.com You can copy and paste the recipes from any site right on to the recipe cards.

I thought I'd try making some of those caramel apples like you see on QVC for sale this Christmas. We exchange with so many people that it has really gotten out of hand. I figure this year that the kids and I can make some of those with different types of coating on them and maybe make some biscotti for our friends and family that we know really enjoy coffee. If anyone out there has a great recipe for either one of these, I'd LOVE to have it. I make a wicked chocolate biscotti, but thought it could be fun to do a couple different kinds. Also, any suggestions on how to package these would also be great!!:razz:

Love biscotti..Here is a Cranberry Pistachio one that is divine

The only thing that I do differently is I dip half of it in white chocolate when they are cooled

1/4 cup light olive oil

3/4 cup white sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

2 eggs

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup dried cranberries

1 1/2 cups pistachio nuts

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).

In a large bowl, mix together oil and sugar until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, then beat in the eggs. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually stir into egg mixture. Mix in cranberries and nuts by hand.

Divide dough in half. Form two logs (12x2 inches) on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Dough may be sticky; wet hands with cool water to handle dough more easily.

Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until logs are light brown. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).

Cut logs on diagonal into 3/4 inch thick slices. Lay on sides on parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until dry; cool.

Love biscotti..Here is a Cranberry Pistachio one that is divine

The only thing that I do differently is I dip half of it in white chocolate when they are cooled

1/4 cup light olive oil

3/4 cup white sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

2 eggs

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup dried cranberries

1 1/2 cups pistachio nuts

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).

In a large bowl, mix together oil and sugar until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, then beat in the eggs. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually stir into egg mixture. Mix in cranberries and nuts by hand.

Divide dough in half. Form two logs (12x2 inches) on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Dough may be sticky; wet hands with cool water to handle dough more easily.

Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until logs are light brown. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).

Cut logs on diagonal into 3/4 inch thick slices. Lay on sides on parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until dry; cool.

Thanks so much for this recipe!!! I can't begin to tell you how good it sounds. I NEVER would have thought about this combination. I think I may try it this weekend after I go to the store and get what I need. Thanks so much and I'll let you know how it goes!:gdlicklips:

• 3 weeks later...
OK I know we have a homemade gifts thread but does anyone have ideas for frames? I am not using them for Christmas but I want to send the group from Disney that sent Alex the box a heartfelt gift from us. I want something I can put his picture in along with the Disney box. It has to be something he can help with. I cannot decide if I should make frames or just buy some silver ones and write on the glass a little saying about how they make magic happen. Anyway I would love to see your ideas for homemade frames.

• 2 weeks later...
My mom started this too. She took carbon paper, put it over the wood then places a picture over the carbon paper. She traces the pictures outline and details then uses the wood burner to create the image onto the wood. The pictures come out beautiful and the detail is unreal.

dose anyone have a ranch dip mix recipe or milkbath recipe

Got this here: http://www.budget101.com/for_the_ladies.htm

I made it for table favors at a spa party.

Chocolate Milk Bath

2 Tbs powdered cocoa

2 C powdered milk

Mix well, put into container. Include a label that says To use: Simply pour under warm running water & enjoy!

Here is another one that I can't wait to try.

Chocolate Milk Bath Bon Bons

Hope this helps!

8 T powdered milk

1 T. cocoa butter

2 T powdered cocoa

Essential oil

Melt cocoa butter, add sifted powdered milk & cocoa. Pack into candy molds of 1T size or bigger & flash freeze for 10 minutes.

To make a chocolate orange scent add 2 -4 drops of orange or neroli essential oil.

For Minted Chocolate add 2-4 drops peppermint essential oil.

To use: 2 per bath (about 2 T.)

Crumble under warm running water as the tub fills.

wow cool idea where could i get corn i assume it is the big kernelled corn that is dried? or popcorn? sorry my mind isnt working today

No... I am making these this year.. but a little different. I use long grain rice. As long as the recipient does not put it in the microwave for too long (usually 2-3 min tops) it will be fine. I mix it with the contents from tea bags (cut the tea bag open and mix with rice) and it smells so good. I usually use a 1 tea bag to 1.5 cups of rice, or something close to that. It all depends on the type of tea.

Another thing I do with them... I made a few samples to decide what patterns I wanted to use, so now all the extras we heat up and throw in the bed with us on a cold night. Nice and toasty!

I made soaps one year and everyone loved them.http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/web/goodthings/gt070_soapcubes2_l.jpg

I used hurricane glasses from the dollar store though.

Ok.. how do you make soaps??? I buy some of the expensive soaps like in the picture.. but I'd love to make them.

Last year for my parents I made each of them a 12 by 12 scrapbook page with pictures of them from high school to present day. I bought a shadowbox frame to put them in..

what's funny though this year is now my mom can not find them--she took the pages out to put in a book and has misplaced them. I could kill her since dummy me (still learning) did NOT make copies of the pictures I used and gave her the originals. :mad: :mad:

but if you are into scraping at all, even the littlest scrapbook is a great idea..

I went to a craft fair this year and my niece bought a pretty hanging that was made out of blank cd's. The lady who made them said she prints pictures off the computer and sticks them on the blank cd or dvd. She then uses toothpicks to put on rickrack, ribbon, paint or whatever else you want to put around the outside. She then puts a ribbon at top to hang up with. If you want to connect 2 or three, she puts ribbon between two cds to make it a hanging. You can use personal pictures if you want. I want to try this but I will not have time this year due to moving in 2 weeks. It was really pretty.