Am I the only one that doesn't go out on Black Friday?

LoveNcMountains

Seriously, I bet 9 out of 10 people would LOVE shopping on BF if they'd just give it a shot! I mean, yeah it seems crazy looking in from the outside, but once you experience that rush, that excitement, the thrill of the chase, you can't imagine NOT going out on BF.

I think that would depend on whether or not those 9 people liked to shop. I've found that most people that like to shop enjoy BF, but for those that don't it's just too much stress to be around the crowds especially that early in the morning. I have a friend who hates to shop. Never cares to find a bargain, just prefers to wait until he needs something and runs to the first store he can find to get it or buys it online. For him, BF would be a nightmare. But his wife on the other really likes to shop, and thanks to me and my DH is becoming quite the bargain hunter. She went with us last year on BF for the first time and had the time of her life. She's already asked to come along this year. So I really do think it just depends on your take on shopping.

:runaway: :runaway: I LOVE to shop, I LOVE to find bargins...HOWEVER I HATE CROWDS. And I see the news in the morning where the show the people rushing into the mall at midnight to be one of the first 50 people in the door to get there $50 gift certificate. THe pushing the shoving....And then to think they have been there for who knows how long. No thanks. I like to think I can find some great and even better bargins just by doing what I do ALL YEAR LONG.

My kids always want video games and the newest ones usually, so finding them at a great price is hard enough.

When I shop now, I usually go right after I drop the kids off at school and there is hardly anyone in the store. I do my grocery store shopping then and my Target and the occassional Walmart trip then too and it is never busy. Even around Xmas time it isn't that bad as long as you go first thing in the morning. If I have to wait in a line that is too long or a store is to crowded for me then I leave the store and don't bother buying that time. It really stresses me out to have to wait in line or deal with the crowds...:runaway:

I guess I am a fuddy duddy.

I am a fuddy duddy right with you. I love to shop and would do it every day if my wallet allowed. I also love a bargain...but I am not going to be pushed and shoved and wait in line for hours for one.

But in most stores, I try to hit them before noon and I have been known to wake up early to make it to Walmart. (This is on normal days, not on BF.)

You will NOT catch me DEAD or ALIVE out there on BF. I WORK in retail, so the last place I want to be on BF is among the throngs of Mommies with strollers the size of volkswagons with screaming, crying, cranky kids hanging out of them!! NO WAY!!

Last year, I found so many good deals via GottaDeal right here on the internet that I did not feel the need to go out. There are so many online retailers competing for your business it is crazy! A lot of them will offer free shipping and nearly all of them have a percentage discount that changes with the mood. Brad does such a good job of updating the online deals, too. It is a fun little game to wait it out and see how low they will go. Besides, I can sit here at 2 a.m. wearing a nightie, sipping wine while I shop! You can't do that at Wally World!

Just my 2 cents....

there are no major stores near me and i don't drive so i've never done it. my friend has gone to KB Toys at 5 am to do BF shopping but no way would i get up that early, one year they only let a certain amount of people in at a time. i did go in once at 7:00 am and it was nice. no one was in the store and the staff was sleeping on the floor lol. the manager grab a hugh bag and just followed me helping me with the shopping, recommending sale stuff, it was great but there were no other shoppers. i left with 3 bags of toys for the kids.

Wow really Brad? That is so ironic.

I'm usually home making sure the site is still running smoothly and updating the list of items that you can buy online. Last year I stayed up Thursday night until around 6am Friday morning because Wal-Mart was putting their ad items online early in the morning. Took a short nap and was back at it a few hours later updating things as the day went on.

Just wondering if I am the only one that you wouldn't catch dead or alive on Black Friday. I can't stand the crowds and there is no way I would get out of bed just to go shopping. Don't get me wrong I love shopping and finding a great bargin makes my day but the thought of all those people and crowds...:eek:

Don't hurt me

I think you are the only one!:yup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm usually home making sure the site is still running smoothly and updating the list of items that you can buy online. Last year I stayed up Thursday night until around 6am Friday morning because Wal-Mart was putting their ad items online early in the morning. Took a short nap and was back at it a few hours later updating things as the day went on.

guess i'll be spending BF with the GDer's it's to crazy and all the major stores are a bus ride away. and then a cab ride home, if i can get one. so i'll be looking for the online sales. brad hope you can get me good price on a laptop. :D

i actually don't. my last good set of black friday deals, i went to fry's at 11am and got almost everything i wanted. sure they weren't doorbusters, but i had a custom made computer with parts i wanted and i didn't have to spend hours trying to uninstall the programs i didn't want.

i'm also usually pretty tired the day of thanksgiving - i've been in southern california the last few years, and my parents live in northern california. since i made the mistake ONE YEAR of driving back up north on the wednesday before thanksgiving, we have never done it again since and we drive back home on thursday morning, usually around 5am. then i get to my parents and start helping my mom out, and then i'm just too tired to sit outside all night.

the only things i ever really wanted were like the 10 dollar memory cards, and i wasn't going to wait all night for that. i wanted the TV last year but there was definitely no room in the car and my living room isn't big enough for a 32" LCD (i measured... i need at least another foot for optimal viewing.)

i'll be watching the boards! if i'm conscious! and not saving my fiance from my family bothering him!

Most people I ask if they go Black Friday Shopping look at me as if I've just escaped from a psyc ward...but others...they get it. My husband was converted to "the dark side" last year. I think he just couldn't stand the curiosity anymore of how my mother and I could be so crazy to actually enjoy what this whole Black Friday thing is about. So far he has remained non committal about this year's trip but it is promising that he has requested the day off work. To all of those who have never ventured into Black Friday Shopping territory, find yourself and experienced shopping buddy--never go alone your first time, it's too dangerous out there. At least once in your life you can say you joined the millions of crazy people - you may become one of us!!!

i use to think BF shoppers were nuts, worked in retail and ended working BF morning one year. driving to work that early i thought everyone was nuts...then i went 3yrs ago and been hooked ever since...i don't go for the "huge" items that cause fights over, i just stand back and laugh at those people and get the items that don't cause fights.....

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just share my First Black Friday Experience real fast?

10 years ago...I didn't know what Black Friday was. It was my first year working at Fred Meyer (Anyone know what that is? It's owned by Kroger, but it is not just a supermarket, it is a "One Stop Shopping", more like a Walmart Super Center or Target Plus Groceries?!?!)

Anyway, I was a cashier. I got my schedule and saw that I had to be at work at ready to cashier at 6:00 am the day after thanksgiving because there was a "5 hour sale". A bunch of us were scheduled that way to be there that early and I thought it was the craziest thing! I thought..."ok? How many people are REALLY going to be up at 6 in the morning just to buy something on sale?" (I can hear you all laughing!!!) :yup: We'll I drove to work that morning (still thinking this was strange, but whatever) and pulled into the parking lot and couldn't find a parking spot. Now--let me add that this is one of those types of stores where any other time of the year the parking lot MIGHT be HALF FULL on a busy day!!! So I freaked out and thought HOLY CRAP, what is going on???? I parked in back, went in through the employee entrance, went onto the sales floor and I was blocked with shoppers!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes!!!!! I was late getting to the front of the store, because I COULDN'T WALK THROUGH THE STORE!!!!!!

I was shocked, but as I talked to the customers as they paid, I realized that this was REALLY a tradition with MANY people, and I had SO much fun that day! The customers were crazy, but they were having fun! They were stressed out, but they also knew it was silly and funny, but the were on on mission!

I've never shopped on Black Friday. I've usually just worked (But I'd get the deals on my 15 minute break, of course). I LOVED workign on Black Friday, I looked forward to it!

It is truly a shopping experience like no other! Enjoy Black Friday everyone! I'll be sleeping!

Okay, I went ONCE a long time ago when I didn't have to work and was too tired to even remember what I went out for. My sons are teenagers and my oldest who is 19 would rather have mondy, and my 15 y/o doesn't really matter he wants a bit of both.

I usually have to work early shift at my job at Chickfila so I enjoy talking to the people who come in and hearing their stories and knowing what is out at each store,etc...

Work is the only reason I get up early on BF. I have fibromyalgia so my body enjoys any rest it can get now days.

My MIL will go out with her sister and shop, so I let her tell us how it was, and then enjoy my rest!

Good luck! Happy Shopping!

I find that about 2 weeks after christmas is best for me, since most retail stores are trying to get rid of everything, and it is usually 75% off by then.

Just wondering if I am the only one that you wouldn't catch dead or alive on Black Friday. I can't stand the crowds and there is no way I would get out of bed just to go shopping. Don't get me wrong I love shopping and finding a great bargin makes my day but the thought of all those people and crowds...:eek:

Don't hurt me

Only once in my life have I shopped BF and I was in the store grabbed a camera for my DS and was out in less than 1/2 hour. I am an all year shopper so I am usually finished by BF.

A gal I work with takes a vacation day every year for BF. Her family plots out what each wants makes a list by dept. and when the doors open they each head off in a different direction looking for the deals. Too crazy for me. And there is no way I want anyone fighting/shoving me for merchandise.

But each to their own.......

I have started the tradition with my daughter 3 years ago. She is now 20, and she knows the rules.

Up at 3:30

Find Krispy Kremes

Have list and

No browsing.

She usually adds an item for herself per store we our in. If she can find it quickly.

Lunch

Nap

Most of all do as I say. If I say go stand in line NOW, I mean NOW.

LMAO this is just like my mom and I - we started a few years ago when I first had my kids. We live in a duplex and our apartments are right next to each other. We plan our attack after Thanksgiving dinner - TRY to sleep but usually cant because visions of shopping carts fill my head...we meet on the porch at 4:00 AM and we're off for donuts...we DO NOT browse on this day, were only there for the door busters..she stands in line I do both of our shopping - and bring out items back to the empty cart she holds in line - we're out of the store as quickly as possible and off to the next store - mid day we stop for lunch - make our last stop of the day which is usually Walgreens to grab their wrapping paper and we go home - and go to sleep......ahhhhhhhh what a great day!

I have done the BF thing a few times in the past. I never got in line more than an hour before the store opened. There are very few "things" that I think are worth the trouble of standing in line for days and fighting other customers over. Sometimes I go later in the morning, after the big crowds have gone. I usually can find most of what I wanted without the hassle. People who say "you have to experience it"......I have experienced it, didn't "get" it, won't do it again. And I DO LOVE to shop! So.....on BF, and the 2-3 days before, when you are standing in line, I will be having Thanksgiving dinner with my family, watching the parades and games, enjoying my kids and family, and sleeping in my nice, warm bed!