Your Favorite Black Friday '06 Moment(s)

stationchief

People would be looking behind things and throwing all sorts of items all over the store everywhere!

Just like normal, you mean. :D

My craziest memory was BF 05, I got to the line at Staples about a half hour before they opened, I was surprised at how mellow everyone seemed to be after the mess I'd just come from at CC. Was I ever surprised when I got inside the store and saw these people clawing for the 1gig jump drives they had that year. Some poor sales associate came out of the back with a couple more boxes of them and had to fight his way through the line so he could dump them in the bins. I didn't think he was going to get his hands back, those people went CRAZY grabbing at him! Finally, someone shoved him out of the way so they could get through and he just stood there looking a little dazed. As I got past him I waved my hand in front of his face to make sure he was okay, he said something that indicated this was his first BF, and I'm pretty sure he quit his job on the spot. I would not have been surprised if he was bleeding. There's just no excuse for that kind of behavior.

Last year's favorite memory was standing outside of Joanns at 10 'til 6, I was the only person in line. Next door is an Office Depot, and I think those people had been there half the night. We were shouting at each other, I kept trying to get them to come get in my line. Didn't work.

Another fond memory of last year was DH standing in line at Menards while I ran around the store collecting stuff for everyone in line. I'd come back with some coffee cups or something, and someone else would want one. When we were in line next to the electronic games we started passing them back so that everyone who wanted one could get the one they wanted. The sweetest thing was when two ladies wanted the same one (last one) and started arguing that the other one SHOULD take it, because they each didn't think they really needed it.

I do try to carry candy for cashiers, I usually start out with a bag of mints or mint-chocolates. I've never had one turn me down yet. :)

I do try to carry candy for cashiers, I usually start out with a bag of mints or mint-chocolates. I've never had one turn me down yet. :)

What a great idea! And what a wonderful way to spread a little bit of Christmas cheer to these poor, poor people who have to work on this day.

I got to WM last year at approx. 4am to get in line for what I thought was a hot item, the PSP (I priced matched:cool: ). To my surprise, I was the 1st one there, and even at 6:00am when they started selling them, there were still only about 6 people in line.

I love BF. My husband thinks I'm nuts for getting up that early. I tell him stories of how early some people get in line and how my time is actually late, and he just laughs...lol

My favorite memory from BF 06 was with the Cabbage Patch Dolls at Walmart. I go with my mom and my aunt so we scout out the store and decide who stands where to grab what and they decided I should grab the Cabbage Patch Dolls and the Little people playset since I am really small and could maneuver through the skinny aisle. I was grabbing a few for my aunt for her daughters when I saw one with my same first and middle name for my angel tree child :) It made me smile. The best part though was after I got my dolls and the little people sets I see this woman who didn't look like she was in the best of physical health standing off to the side straining to see the dolls. I asked her if I could help her and she said she wanted one of the dolls for her granddaughter she's raising but couldn't get through the crowd. I got back in the crowd and wasn't able to get her one before they were all gone. When I came back out and told her they were gone she started to tear up and said that was the one nice toy her granddaughter was gonna get that year and then thanked me for trying and started to push her empty cart away. I went after her and offered her the one for I had picked out for the angel tree child. She gave me the bigest hug (which kinda freaked out me mom and my aunt). I was glad to help her out. Then in the checkout line the lady ahead of me was counting her dolls and realized she had one too many and gave it back to the cashier so I snatched it up. It was great, everyone got what they wanted!

I went to New York for BF last year with my mom and sister, we're from Ireland. It was our first BF and this website helped us out so much! Anyway, we headed over to Macys and spent a couple of hours there. We were plodding our way through the crowds and we see a bunch of photographers taking pics of everyone. So we trundled on, trying to get up onto the next floor. The next day I decided to buy the New York Post to see what they'd said about BF and there we was our photo on page 6 going up the escalators in Macys!!!

The staff in Old Navy were so fun too while we were waiting in line. We won a few coupons on the little competitions they had. Such a good trip and we're heading back for more this year!!!

What a great idea! And what a wonderful way to spread a little bit of Christmas cheer to these poor, poor people who have to work on this day.

I second this! I think I will do this this year. I was the team lead in the toy dept of Target one year on black friday. Wow. I had been shopping and knew what to expect but it was still the most out of control day I ever had, haha.

Tad bit off topic, but I LOVE reading about all your stories. In Louisville, the most exciting thing that happens is usually a fight or two. **Except: while people were waiting in line for a PS3, someone did a drive-by shooting on the line outside of Best Buy, no one was killed. but a few people were taken to the ER.** :shock:

Last year I went to Meijer at 3:00 to get an MP3 player for $99. Stood in line for about half an hour in the electronics department. One of the cashiers comes walking buy and says "The MP3 players are sold out." Ok, first thing the sale doesn't start until 6 and second they weren't handing out any kind of tickers. So I left to go to another Meijer. Stood in line and they opened the electronics department at 5. I had no idea where the things were so I got out of line and went to the photo department. (No line cutter here. The whole line dissolved in a mad rush in about 10 seconds.) I saw a woman carrying one out from the photo lab. I go up there to get one and the guy in front of me is buying two of them. I asked the clerk for one and GUESS WHAT? They were the last two! The man turns around to me and says "Here, you can have the other one. It'll save me 99 bucks. That was my best BF conquer to date.

Last year while camping out at BB we had someone park in the middle of the parking lot, get out of his car at about 2am. He leaves his radio on and climbs up to dance on the roof of his car. He never got into line. I guess he just wanted to offer some free entertainment.

My last BF shopping experience was very good. I finished placing all the Staples online orders by 5am and then took my neighbor (a newbie in BF shopping) to CompUSA. We were around the 30th in line. I got the $20AR 160GB HD and FAR BT headset and walked out in 5 minutes after the store opened.

My last BF shopping experience was very good. I finished placing all the Staples online orders by 5am and then took my neighbor (a newbie in BF shopping) to CompUSA. We were around the 30th in line. I got the $20AR 160GB HD and FAR BT headset and walked out in 5 minutes after the store opened.

Wow... just take the newbie to Best Buy and see if he/she wants to go back next year. ;):rolleyes:

Last year the BB near us had police to keep control. We went up to get a 50" Plasma well the line was HUGE at 11pm already and my wife was feeling horrible. So I decided that her health was more important then a TV, so we went home. She slept for a little while then woke me up and said she felt much better so we should go back to BB. We get back to the store and the tickets for the TV we wanted had already been passed out. We decided to wait in line anyway to get some other things. Well we ended up in a huge jumble of people (not sure how this started as we where just standing in line). So the police start letting in X amount of people into the store as others leave. People are being VERY rude and pushing and shoving, there was a policewoman who was getting a tad bit cranky telling people to back off. The whole time we just stood there in line and moved forward as allowed. Well our time finally comes to go in the store and a bunch of people cut between my wife and myself and I end up getting in the store.

Well I just decided that I would wait for her, as I'm standing there the policewoman walks up and asks me who I'm waiting for (another lady right next to me had the same issue with her husband) so I tell her what happened and she says she'll take care of it. We stand there talking for a few minutes and she turns out to be pretty cool, well she opens the door and says my wifes name and this other ladies husbands name and tells them to come in the store. This one guy who had been a jerk in line the whole time we stood there tells the policewoman that if shes letting them in he's going in also. She tells him no your not and when he gets snippy she tells him you can go to the very end of the line and shut your mouth, she could take him to jail for disorderly conduct, or if he felt big enough he could push his way in and the two VERY large policemen behind all of us would be happy to deal with him in a not so polite manner. :)

While all of this is going on the manager asks me what where there for, I tell him, he says all the tickets are gone but that he could get me the TV the next day and he would even waive the $50 fee. We ended up buying many things there some on our list and some that ticket people had just abandoned around the store. All in all it was pretty fun we ended up going to Target and Wal-Mart and getting everything we wanted.

Got a 52 inch TV in much the same way. I saw a line (in BB) and asked a guy what it was for, and he said that the manager decided to sell TV sets as long as he had them in the warehouse! He also waived the fee for delivery! This was not my main objective, as i was #6 in line at Compusa earlier that morning.

Its my first time posting here but i have been shopping on BF since 2005. In yonkers NY hundreds of people waited all night to get a tv or something like that then by the time the store opened there were like a thousand people there so cops had to come in as people bullrushed the store as the doors opened and it had to be shut down for couple of hours. fun times

My favorite moment was going to the mall with my sister on BF-and actually having a good time! :eek: We sat in a nice warm van,going over our lists,as the line outside, in the freezing cold, just kept growing. We laughed,as an ice cream truck pulled up by the line,playing their music and waiting for customers.And they actually got some,despite it being around 25 degrees out and 4am in the morning.Then,as the doors opened,and the long line shoved inside,we just got out of the van and went in,also managing to get the free disney door gift being given out.We got all the stuff on our lists in the mall,including my sister's getting an incredible deal on a giant Little Mermaid doll at the Disney store.She got the last one left out of 5 ,I think. We stopped and got a little breakfast,while watching others roam the mall in a frenzy,then went to more stores to shop.:gdcar: We weren't crushed by people or overheated.We got everything on our lists.It was just ...nice,for a change.:) Can't wait to see what we are in store for this year! :holiday09

:2welcome:

Its my first time posting here but i have been shopping on BF since 2005. In yonkers NY hundreds of people waited all night to get a tv or something like that then by the time the store opened there were like a thousand people there so cops had to come in as people bullrushed the store as the doors opened and it had to be shut down for couple of hours. fun times

• 2 weeks later...
My favorite moment from BF 06 was going to Prime Outlets in Queenstown, MD. I didn't even plan on going, but my mom, sisters, and I decided to go since it was open since midnight and many places didn't open until 4-6am. I got a peacoat from Gap for $40!!! Plus I got some tee shirts for about 75 percent off!!!

The 1st stop last yr for me and my hubby was Best Buy. Now keep in mind and imagine this, best buy had just got done being built a couple months earlier, so this was the 1st BF for best buy. We got there at 6am and the parking lot was so filled we drove around for like 15 mins before we could even park. Once we got inside, they had no shopping carts or baskets. And the line was already wrapped from the registers all the way down to where the computers are, around that and back up to where the TV are at the beginning of the store. And keep in mind best buy had only been open for maybe 20 mins when we finally got in there. So im doing my shopping, convincing people what to buy for the Wii (hehe), and then I ended up with so much stuff in my hands I just had to grab something to put it in. So here I am with like 20 DVDs and games combo in my arms walking up to the entrance of the store trying to get through a huge line of people and suddenly I saw it....a beautiful shopping bag!! LOL!! I literally ran and picked it up. Oh forgot to mention that when we finally got in there they had these DVDs that we liked but didnt own, so I grabbed a whole bunch for my hubby for christmas presents, the best part they were origially like $9 each and got them for $3 each!! Gotta love the savings!! Anyways, im standing in line for like an hr (and no im not lying) and finally made it up to the registers. Spent $600 just on my hubby! Then leaving the store, they had the security checking everyones bags. While most people walked away with like a couple things, when I got my bags checked because I had so much, the girl had to literally go over to her counter, take everything out of the bags, checked the receipt, told me to walk through the door and she would hand me my bags once I went through the door. Which is VERY odd, nothing like that ever happened to me before. And theres been times we would walk out of best buy with a lot of stuff and thats never happened before. Its almost like they werent expecting someone to walk in and buy a lot of dvds and video games. Im thinking c'mon its BF! Of course people are gonna be buying a lot of stuff. Get used to it! It kinda hurt a little cuz it almost felt like I was being accused for stealing or something. All I know is I grabbed my bags, she told me to have a good day, normally I would say you 2, but I just looked at her and left. I wasnt gonna give her any satisfaction, for treating me like that. I should have walked back in and returned everything. And if they asked why, I would have been like well it felt like I was being accused of stealing and I dont wanna buy anything from a store thats gonna treat me like that. But anyways, 2005, was super walmart 1st BF, DH and I had to park where the omish park their horses, and by the time we got back into the car, his car smelled like horse manure lol.

My fav part of BF 2006 was when we went to Walmart. We did not have to stand in line and it was warm (I live in North Dakota and usually it is 5 degrees or lower). The safety patrol was directing people to where the sales were. It was great. I really can't wait for this year. Plus with Walmart we could walk around and really check out the sales and we were out of there quicker than Menard's.

2000 - 19 year old working at KB Toys...I cursed my boss for making me come to work at 3:00AM and work a 15 hour day so the crazy parents could line up at the store the night before and save a couple of bucks.

2001 - Pregnant - stayed home

2002 - crazy mom standing in line at 3:00 and shopped for 15 hours trying to save a couple of bucks =} Now I'm hooked.

I love BF. this will be my 3rd year. The only problem that I have is that no one ever wants to go with me. They have no money, or its too cold. And it is hard for me to get everything i want. But that wont stop me, I guess I am going solo this year.

I love BF. this will be my 3rd year. The only problem that I have is that no one ever wants to go with me. They have no money, or its too cold. And it is hard for me to get everything i want. But that wont stop me, I guess I am going solo this year.

A few people have asked if they could go with me, but I only go with my mom - were fast, and plan our attack the night before, we really dont want anyone holding us back from getting to the other stores ASAP. The more people you have the harder it is to stay organized and move on quickly. I feel for you though, I wouldn't want to go by myself but if I had to - I would :cheesy:

'ehm, this was a classic moment for me last year..

brought a friend with me (first time I'd ever done that) and we were walking up to Staples which I've been going to for almost 4-5 years now. There were three people there already, it starts earlier and earlier each year with the media getting involved, and we said hello and what not. They were on the left side of the door, and we sat at the right side. I knew they had never been there before, their choice of seating explained it well enough. They were all snuggled in and it was cold. They were staring at us the entire time as we setup camp (chairs, laptop, sleeping bags, etc). Then to break the silence I said "You guys are still first in line, but the line starts over here." they were puzzled and got a bit upset, I tried to repeat myself so they didn't think we were trying to cut in line. "No, you guys are before us in line, but the line goes down the right side of the door." You see, only a few feet behind them was nothing but dirt and grass with no overhead, were everyone would eventually be if they showed up and lined up behind them. To the right is a nice paved walkway in front of store shops, you know they typical strip mall layout. I felt kind of bad having to tell them, but they packed up their stuff and made their way over to our side.

was the first time my BF seniority paid off. =)

P.S.: no this was not a trick or anything, they were still first when it was time to go in.