Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

HostPC question

6 replies to this topic

#1 freesia39  OFFLINE  

freesia39

• 12,244 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 6, 2005 - 6:58 pm

i'm too lazy to do a ticket, maybe someone here knows. when you make a backup, does it count against your webspace? also, i just deleted a bunch of pictures that were each at least 1.5mb each, and my "used disk space" hasn't gone down at all. i was trying to clear all that space to help a friend host a file for a relative's wedding, but that plan might not work if this disk space issue doesn't clear up..

GO BRUINS!

#2 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 6, 2005 - 7:01 pm

i'm too lazy to do a ticket, maybe someone here knows.

At least you're honest and that's what this web hosting forum is for :)

when you make a backup, does it count against your webspace?

Yes and no.

You can store your backups on your HostPC account, in this case it would count against your allotted disk space.

Or you can download it to your home computer then delete the backup from your HostPC account. This is what I do.

also, i just deleted a bunch of pictures that were each at least 1.5mb each, and my "used disk space" hasn't gone down at all. i was trying to clear all that space to help a friend host a file for a relative's wedding, but that plan might not work if this disk space issue doesn't clear up..

That's because disk quota's are updated once a day, I think late in the night/early morning. So by this time tomorrow your disk space usage should be more accurate.

#3 DeviousTrap  OFFLINE  

DeviousTrap

Ignore me, I'm a trap!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 6, 2005 - 7:30 pm

That's because disk quota's are updated once a day, I think late in the night/early morning. So by this time tomorrow your disk space usage should be more accurate.

Disk qoutas should be updated every half hour or so, depending on the settings set by the system admin. Once a day is a bit of a stretch.

#4 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 6, 2005 - 7:38 pm

Disk qoutas should be updated every half hour or so, depending on the settings set by the system admin. Once a day is a bit of a stretch.

Ah ok, good to know.

#5 freesia39  OFFLINE  

freesia39

• 12,244 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 6, 2005 - 7:52 pm

You can store your backups on your HostPC account, in this case it would count against your allotted disk space.

Or you can download it to your home computer then delete the backup from your HostPC account. This is what I do.

good to know! that's what i was thinking of. damn i should have backed up earlier - i was deleting a lot of stuff i really shouldn't have. at least my switch should be here soon so i can move some files off my old computer.

GO BRUINS!

#6 Aaron  OFFLINE  

Aaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 6, 2005 - 7:53 pm

Backups shouldn't take away from your space because lets say you have 800MB, and you make a 400MB backup that means you can only have 400MB or less of files because you need the other half for the backup. I may be wrong, oh well.. I try. :)

#7 steveh  OFFLINE  

steveh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 7, 2005 - 6:42 am

Backups shouldn't take away from your space because lets say you have 800MB, and you make a 400MB backup that means you can only have 400MB or less of files because you need the other half for the backup. I may be wrong, oh well.. I try. :)

Yeah, but look at it from the host's perspective. You're still chewing up disk space.

OTOH, if you download your backup and remove it from the server, you should have the diskspace available, but you used up a chunk of bandwidth to get it... (although realistically, you've probably got a *whole lot* more bandwidth available than disk space)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users