Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

Free teacher hosting?

8 replies to this topic

#1 ajbrowns  OFFLINE  

ajbrowns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 4, 2005 - 6:19 pm

I am an 8th grade teacher and would like to create a website for my students. I would like to find a free service because I already spend so much on my class/students as it is. I want something where I can create a page in Printshop, they have templates,etc (I don't know html). I also need to be careful on ads. I would prefer one with no ads since it will be students coming to the site and an easy name to remember...not one that is 98 characters long. Ok, now having listed all of those requirements....does anyone know where I can find such a magical place? Thanks, Amie

#2 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 4, 2005 - 6:31 pm

Amie,

You came to the right place :)

Please check your PM's

Ross

#3 ajbrowns  OFFLINE  

ajbrowns

• 1,404 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 4, 2005 - 7:21 pm

It sounds like it....Yeah! Thanks Ross...I just responded. Amie

#4 Scott  OFFLINE  

Scott

• 12,002 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 5, 2005 - 4:23 am

As I'm sure that RossMan is hooking you up... look into the following PHP scripts.

I used to teach and do the school site and this was some stuff I looked at

http://www.digital-scribe.org/

A PHP/MySQL system for for putting homework on the site. This software actually can work for an entire school/district and is fairly simple.

One that is a little more complex is Moodle. It is a complete course management system. It is probably way more than you need.

http://www.moodle.org

I think the best bet may be to design a simple front page with a link to a directory that has some type of homework/assignment management syste.

That way, you can have a simple page that doesn't have to change much, and then a link that students/parents can use to quickly check homework assignments.

There is a LOT of powerful free scripts out there for teachers. Unfortuneately, I haven't taught for the last few years, so I'm a bit out of the loop. You can go to:

http://www.sourceforge.net

and search for something like "homework" or "teacher"

If you need help installing scripts and/or testing them, let me know. I will help you out. I know that Ross can be a busy man. :) I don't know how he finds the time...

In fact, if you just see a script that you want to test, I would gladly install it for you on one of my servers (time permitting) so that you can test them out.

#5 i-bystander  OFFLINE  

i-bystander

still stuck in traffic...

• 3,169 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 5, 2005 - 6:16 am

Such generous and helpful people we have in here! You rock, Ross & sdible! p.s. That digital-scribe thing looks pretty nifty...

#6 DeviousTrap  OFFLINE  

DeviousTrap

Ignore me, I'm a trap!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 5, 2005 - 6:27 am

Amie,

You came to the right place :)

Please check your PM's

Ross

:yelclap:

Ross, we need a thumbs up emotion...

#7 Guest_beatmix01_*  OFFLINE  

Guest_beatmix01_*
  • Member since --

Posted Jan 5, 2005 - 7:17 am

:yelclap:

Ross, we need a thumbs up emotion...

:thumbsup:

#8 ajbrowns  OFFLINE  

ajbrowns

• 1,404 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 5, 2005 - 7:56 am

You all are awesome! Ross certainly did hook me up. I will be playing around with all of this for the next few days. Sdible...thanks for all of the info and links. I'll let you know if I need anything. This is why I love this board! Amie

#9 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jan 5, 2005 - 8:05 am

Scott - Thanks for the great info. I called Amie last night and she is really excited about the possibilities for this web site. She's at the tough stage right now, choosing the perfect easy to remember .com domain. It isn't easy. Please let us know when you receive the USO wristbands, they should arrive early next week. Ray - Thanks, this is what makes GottaDeal.com such a great community, people like you, Scott, Eric, etc. Eric - Good suggestion.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users