Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

is there anybody here that is a directi reseller?

3 replies to this topic

#1 cronos  OFFLINE  

cronos

jazzy geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 27, 2004 - 9:44 am

all i want to know is if you are a directi reseller, and you are offering a domain name registration service, do you have access to the contact information of your clients? for instance, if your client A registered the domain A.com through you, and had all ownership information and all contact information as his (A), will you be able to go to the control panel and change the contact information, basically transferring owenership of the domain to someone else (without his consent)? there is this hot discussion going on in one of the webhosting discussion forums that i frequent (not in english), regarding a dispute of a domain name (.com). this domain name was registered through a directi reseller (a webhost), and had all the contact information of that domain in the name of an employee, who was recently fired. apparently this former employee wanted to take this domain hostage or whatever, but the company got to the webhost quicker and had the contact information changed before he had any chance to do anything. now the former employee is crying foul, stating that the webhost (directi reseller) has no right to go and change the contact information of this domain because he was the one who registered it and he has the right to that domain name. this former employee has receipt and all kinds of paperwork stating that he personally was the one who bought and paid for this domain name. i'm just curious if the former employee's statement that he had *all* of the contact information in his name is true, or maybe the techincal contact was of the webhost so that's how they were able to get in and change the other information. i personally think it's dumb to register a domain name through a third party, and going through third party is really just asking for trouble. if it's a company's name, register it in the company's name. if it's a personal name, register it directly to a registrar. who do you think is at fault? and who do you think have a right to the domain name in this case?

#2 RossMAN  OFFLINE  

RossMAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,066 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 27, 2004 - 9:54 am

I offer domain registration to my local web hosting clients but I register it for them using their info through GoDaddy.com or NameCheap.com

I just charge them $14.95/yr, they receive their own member login/password ... everything is kept separate. If they decide to cancel my services they own the domain.

#3 cronos  OFFLINE  

cronos

jazzy geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 27, 2004 - 10:07 am

I offer domain registration to my local web hosting clients but I register it for them using their info through GoDaddy.com or NameCheap.com

I just charge them $14.95/yr, they receive their own member login/password ... everything is kept separate. If they decide to cancel my services they own the domain.

that makes perfect sense, the way these people do business is why there is trouble. i would do exactly the same thing as you if i were to offer domain registration with a webhosting service. and if i were the client it's the same thing, i will demand that everything is my info so the webhost/domain name reseller don't have anything to do with it.

in this case the webhosting company is caught in the middle and can't get out. they are being harrassed by the company because the domain name is the company's-name.com, while also being harrassed by the former employee because he believe that since he paid for the registration (or so he said), it's his right to do whatever he wants with the domain name. it's just a mess.

#4 steveh  OFFLINE  

steveh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Dec 27, 2004 - 8:56 pm

I don't use directi, but I am an enom reseller, and I'm fairly sure that they've got it set up so thatt I could go in and change the contact information on a domain if I had to. For obvious reasons, it would not be in my best interests to do so, but I could do it if I was ever forced to through legal procedures. Likewise, enom could override my changes if there was a legal reason for them to do so. I would imagine directi would work in the same way.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users