sams club or costco?

For me, it's Costco. We belonged to both for the longest time (FIL had a business membership for Sam's and we piggybacked on for $5; plus at our old home Sam's was 1 mile away while Costco was 10.) I kept both after we moved, even the 1st year that I had to pay full membership for Sam's. And both Costco and Sam's here are in the same area so distance isn't an issue. For us, Costco has a much better quality and selection of merchandise. I use a lot of the Kirkland brand products such as laundry detergent, fabric softener, etc. which Consumer Reports usually ranks higher than the national brands. I started comparing what I bought from where and the only things that Sam's had that Costco didn't were Danimals drinkable yogurt and the sausage that DH uses for gumbo.

Costco tends to carry some more high end merchandise (like cashmere sweaters and in those states where they can, really high quality wines/liquors) than Sam's. But they both carry the same basic items and prices on those are usually the same. I actually went to Sam's for the first time in about 2 years earlier this week and used one of the "one day pass" coupons to pick up the gumbo sausage for Super Bowl. I walked around and said to myself "yup, not really missing anything by not joining here."

I don't think they take manufacturers coupons; I've never tried. But they do come out with their own "passports" a few times a year that have coupons for different items and sometimes they pass out sheets of manufacturers coupons specifically for Costco at the door. I got my TurboTax this way ($15 off $31.99!) and they usually have a BOGO coupons in August/Sept. for the boxes of 30 full size candy bars which I stock up on for Halloween (and I'm then the favorite house in the neighborhood for the same price as the mini size bars;) )

RobD

Costco states in their literature that they do NOT take manufacturers coupon but receive better discounts with their bulk buying. I am single but belonged to Sams for 3 years, didn't renew the past 2. Costco openned here in Columbus OH in Nov. and I joined when they offered a $20 gift card for signing up($50 membership). I also looked around Sam's on a one day pass before joining Costco-not really missing Sams. Costco doesn't have the local football shirts/jackets/etc like Sams does(OSU!!!!!!!) but their prices are good. I have found bargains on clearance that are incredible. Their frozen and deli food items are better buys than the sales at the stores on many items for me. For canned and paper goods, the regular stores are better for a single person. Books, cd's, DVD selections are limited to bestselling latest releases and greatest hits-but the prices are better than the other stores. The coupon and in-store deals add to this. Things like $50 itunes cards for $44.9- add up. Office supplies are a better deal than Staples /Officemax for everyday.

My vote is for Costco. I've been a member for many years and find that their own label "kirkland" has great quality for a reasonable price. As another poster mentioned, their laundry detergent and auto dishwash detergent is highly ranked by Consumer reports. Returns are very easy should you need to. We bought leather furniture online (I did send for the free swatch) and were very happy with the price and quality.

I recently visited Sams club with a friend who swears by it - and even though it is closer- I'm sticking with Costco.

There is a down side though - they do not accept coupons (unless it is their own from the "passport" ) and it is hard to shop there without bringing home a boat load of items and leaving lots of money in the store:D

If you ever want to order a birthday cake or any type of sheetcake, Costco has better ones at the same price as Sams. Sams cakes are great and are at a good price but only two flavor choices. Costco has cakes with a cream cheese filling which is sooo good and they are not any more expensive. Both Sams and Costco cakes are much better than what supermarket bakeries have to offer and a lot cheaper.

My recommendation is this... Don't be a stupid consumer and let price/cost determine which company you support. Do some research and see what that company stands for, how they treat thier employees, what they are supporting and if you agree then give them your hard earned money. If not, spend your money elsewhere.

My recommendation is this... Don't be a stupid consumer and let price/cost determine which company you support. Do some research and see what that company stands for, how they treat thier employees, what they are supporting and if you agree then give them your hard earned money. If not, spend your money elsewhere.

Some of us "stupid consumers" need to rely on price/cost determinations on where we shop. I can't afford to shop at a more expensive store just because they treat their employees better. I shop strictly where I can get the better deal - period. I don't think that is stupid - it is smart for my household.

We switched from Sam's to Costco 6 or 7 years ago and have not looked back. This past year we upgraded to the Executive Membership ($100 vs. $50 per year) but given our volume (2% cash back) and the better coupons/sales, we have more than made up the difference. I would only recommend the upgrade if you buy by heavy volume.

I love Costco! Their return policy just can't be beat--you can take back anything at anytime except for computers. The computers have a 6 month limit. I now buy most of our electronics at Costco. It's like having a lifetime warranty.

The only thing that I wish Costco had was cupcakes! I know that you can buy the large platters of cupcakes at Sam's. The Costco cakes are to die for. They are awesome.

I love the quality of the items at Costco vs Sam's.

You may want to get a free day pass to go and check out each club.

I love Costco! Their return policy just can't be beat--you can take back anything at anytime except for computers. The computers have a 6 month limit. I now buy most of our electronics at Costco. It's like having a lifetime warranty.

The only thing that I wish Costco had was cupcakes! I know that you can buy the large platters of cupcakes at Sam's. The Costco cakes are to die for. They are awesome.

I love the quality of the items at Costco vs Sam's.

You may want to get a free day pass to go and check out each club.

We don't have a Costco's in our area, so it's a non-issue for us, but don't get held up on those cupcakes. I bought them and sent them to school for my son's birthday one year and all the kids said they were the worst cupcakes they'd ever had. Now, I didn't try them, but after that, I really had no desire to do so.

I could be wrong, but doesn't Martha Stewart say she buys meats at Costco's?

Another great thing about Costco is their return policy. If you buy a big screen TV it comes with a one year MF warranty. If it breaks at any time Costco will give you your money back or replace it with a comparable unit. So it could be 3 years later and Costco will still take it back. It is the best guarantee around.

Now, years ago I bought a wrought iron fountain from Sam's for about $250. It rusted after a year. I was ticked off and mentioned it in passing to a CR one day. They said "bring it back." They took it back (no receipt, but they recognized it) and gave me my $250 back. So I had the use of it (rusted or not it looked good for awhile) and they cheerfully refunded my money.

One more plus about Sam's is that they mark down meat around 10 a.m. (meat that will expire in a few days). Costco doesn't do that.

You can't go wrong either way, but I do like Costco.

Another great thing about Costco is their return policy. If you buy a big screen TV it comes with a one year MF warranty. If it breaks at any time Costco will give you your money back or replace it with a comparable unit. So it could be 3 years later and Costco will still take it back. It is the best guarantee around.

Now, years ago I bought a wrought iron fountain from Sam's for about $250. It rusted after a year. I was ticked off and mentioned it in passing to a CR one day. They said "bring it back." They took it back (no receipt, but they recognized it) and gave me my $250 back. So I had the use of it (rusted or not it looked good for awhile) and they cheerfully refunded my money.

One more plus about Sam's is that they mark down meat around 10 a.m. (meat that will expire in a few days). Costco doesn't do that.

You can't go wrong either way, but I do like Costco.

I heard Walmart injects their meat with dye to make it more attactive. I've always wondered if Sam's did the same thing? I never buy meat from either place.

i found an app. online that if you buy a membership by 7 31 07 you get a 10 dollar costco cash card which im guessing is like a gc so would make it the same price as sams cosco is where we are going its just to cold to do shopping lol thinking i need to go do something tonight getting cabin fever

Hello to a felllow 'Burgher!

Doesn't look like anyone addressed your concern about buying for only three people. You might want to check each one out in advance to make sure they have the items you want to shop for, and that the sizes of the items will work for you.

We only have two to shop for, and neither Sams nor Costco is effective for us because the sizes of the food items are too large to be convenient. And we don't buy enough clothes/electronics to justify the memberships just for that. But I'd be the first to admit that we're not much for shopping just to buy stuff.

Hello to a felllow 'Burgher!

Doesn't look like anyone addressed your concern about buying for only three people. You might want to check each one out in advance to make sure they have the items you want to shop for, and that the sizes of the items will work for you.

We only have two to shop for, and neither Sams nor Costco is effective for us because the sizes of the food items are too large to be convenient. And we don't buy enough clothes/electronics to justify the memberships just for that. But I'd be the first to admit that we're not much for shopping just to buy stuff.

I have no experience with Costco, so I can't comment. I wish one would come to our area.

I have to agree with you about this post though (at least where Sam's is concerned). Lots of their food items come in bulk which wouldn't be cost effective for a huge family, let alone a family of 3. Many however come in family size packages. If you'd buy their meat (I wouldn't due to the dye), you can separate it into meals for your own family if one package it too much.

I've found that milk is normally cheaper here, but there are TONS of items (especially food items) that are way overpriced, IMO. I can get mostly all that at my local grocery store on sale for much less.

For us, we have a membership to take advantage of the non food items (for the most part). All video games for example start at $5.00 less than you can get them at other stores (talking new release only, as you can get deals everywhere, including Sam's on older games). Their prices (with rebates) on computer software can't be beat. Movies are sometimes less, but this isn't always true either. Books are reasonable (again, you may or may not find it for less elsewhere). We once bought a computer at Sam's for $2000. This same computer was at Circuit City, ON SALE, for $300 more. Then again, you'll pay top dollar for something as simple as a case of soda at Sam's.

To the OP. I highly suggest you try before you buy no matter which you decide on.

My wife & I have had memberships at both places, and it's definitely Costco for us. When we go to the grocery store for individual stuff, we go to Costco as well.

You might also consider BJ's, if you have one in your area, They take coupons, and also their portions are a little smaller than Costco or Sam's, but still bigger than regular grocery stores.

• 2 years later...

Usually they have passes on their websites or you can call the store and check with customer service. Just FYI they do add a 10% surcharge using a free pass..since you are not members.

BTW we like BJ's the best..they are fantastic, take coupons, have auto service,gas,pharmacy,florist etc.

If there is one in your area check BJ's out.

www.bjs.com